Advertise on Opiophile
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amitriptyline... anyone taking?

Never Looked Back NV12 is a name known to all NV12 is a name known to all NV12 is a name known to all NV12 is a name known to all NV12 is a name known to all NV12 is a name known to all NV12 is a name known to all NV12 is a name known to all NV12 is a name known to all NV12 is a name known to all NV12 is a name known to all

Default Amitriptyline... anyone taking?

I've been prescribed this for migraines. I take it at night, and it knocks me out. Yet, as I research this drug, one of the things it's prescribed for is narcolepsy? I have a pretty high tolerance for most things... for example, I can take 25mg of phenergan for nausea from migraine/back pain and don't get sleepy.

As I do understand all drugs affect people differently, curious to know the effects from anyone taking, and reason for taking...??
    There's tarnish on the golden rule
    And I wanna jump from this ship of fools
    Show me a place where hope is young
    And a people who aren't afraid to love

This world has nothing for me and this world has everything

All that I could want and nothing that I need

Occasionally Opiated Mom is an unknown quantity at this point Mom's Avatar

Default Re: Amitriptyline... anyone taking?

Hi Sky,

I'm sorry to tell you that 25mg. of Phenergan really isn't that much. It is basically just the starting/normal dose. It wouldn't make many people sleepy.

As for the Elavil, (Amitriptyline), it is an antidepressant and is usually taken at night cuz a side effect is possible drowsiness. There has been some research that suggest it might help with chronic pain which migraines can fall under, for some people.

Hope it works/helps!

Hugz,
    Mom

QUEEN B MODERATOR roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wideopensky View Post
    I've been prescribed this for migraines. I take it at night, and it knocks me out. Yet, as I research this drug, one of the things it's prescribed for is narcolepsy? I have a pretty high tolerance for most things... for example, I can take 25mg of phenergan for nausea from migraine/back pain and don't get sleepy.

As I do understand all drugs affect people differently, curious to know the effects from anyone taking, and reason for taking...??
    Yep I take it for Migraines/Nerve Pain. They also give it for chronic general pain, as a sleep aid, and for what it actually is, an tricyclic anti-depressant. It will knock you out, even in the lower range of dosage. I take 50mg. I started out on the 10mg tabs.

..... found that when it got *really* bad, I'd cop, and fuck all that detoxing, whether I'm eating carrots and brown rice, or vodka and cough drops, I've learned only one sure thing about detoxing:
    There Ain't No Free Lunch!.......Originally posted by Duckfeet

Occasionally Opiated SCUD is an unknown quantity at this point SCUD's Avatar

Was given this in my early PM days, did absolutely nothing at the dose they gave me (25mg) iirc. But i never double dosed or anything so im not a great help......

Also i remember it doin nothing for my pain...

Occasionally Opiated dannydanko420 is an unknown quantity at this point dannydanko420's Avatar

I got prescribed that shit before and when I took it, it totally knocked me out and I would end up missing work or being late to work because of it. The doc's use to prescribe it to me to help me sleep cuz of my low back pain. Now they dont give me it anymore. From my experience with it, it's a good sleep aid. They started me out on 25mg and that was enough.

Departed Opiophile Inspektahdek is a jewel in the rough Inspektahdek is a jewel in the rough Inspektahdek is a jewel in the rough Inspektahdek is a jewel in the rough Inspektahdek is a jewel in the rough Inspektahdek is a jewel in the rough Inspektahdek is a jewel in the rough Inspektahdek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Hi Sky,

I'm sorry to tell you that 25mg. of Phenergan really isn't that much. It is basically just the starting/normal dose. It wouldn't make many people sleepy.

As for the Elavil, (Amitriptyline), it is an antidepressant and is usually taken at night cuz a side effect is possible drowsiness. There has been some research that suggest it might help with chronic pain which migraines can fall under, for some people.

Hope it works/helps!

Hugz,
    Mom

Everything he said is pretty "key" yet the reason it's prescribed for chronic pain because chronic pain can usually bring on depression symptoms because you're in, well, chronic pain. But yea, everything he said is pretty correct.
    [B][IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m200/Inspektahdek/zwei2.jpg[/IMG][/B][IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m200/Inspektahdek/11eyes2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m200/Inspektahdek/11eyes3.jpg[/IMG]
    [B] [SIZE=2]SEE NO EVIL, SEE NO EVIL, SEE NO EVIL[/SIZE][/B][SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
    [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junglist"][IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m200/Inspektahdek/junglisthand.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL="http://www.future-music.net/"][IMG]http://future-music.net/images/logo.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL="http://destroyer.net/radio"]
    [/URL]

Opiophorum Member cjd83us is an unknown quantity at this point cjd83us's Avatar

yeah im on remeron now for insomnia/derpession/anxiety but tried Amitriptyline before that worked well to knock me out but left me feeling hungover the next day thats why i switched

OpioNoMo HeidiW is an unknown quantity at this point HeidiW's Avatar

I was prescribed 200 mg a day of amitriptyline a day in prison, plus I think 50-75mg daily of Thorazine.
    Needless to say, I shuffled around the prison compound, never upset, always smilin'. It made my time go by fast, but tricyclic antidepressants affect your brain like antipsychotics do. I had that tardive dyskenesia shit; this happens if you take this shit long enough. I would have lockjaw all of the time/absolutely could NOT open my jaw when the muscles locked. HORRIBLE pain. Glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.

Never Looked Back poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy's Avatar

My boyfriend was originally prescribed amitriptyline when he was in prison he carried on taking it for about five years or so after he got out. (it sounds like its commonly prescribed to junkies when they are in prison) At times I also took it to help get to sleep. As a long term sufferer of depression I asked my gp if I could be prescribed it too (I have tried numerous anti depressants in the past to no avail) anyway she said that with the amount of methadone I was taking she thought the sedative effect would be too much to cope with and I'd be falling asleep all the time. Eventually she did agree and prescribed me them for three months.
    She was proved right cos I found the side effects were not worth getting a good nights sleep and quickly stopped taking them. They definitely send you to sleep but you then have to put up with the hangover effect others have mentioned, also I found that it messed up my speech, making me stutter and generally not be able to get my words out which in turn made me paranoid!! Also my boyfriend found they messed up his sex drive. He mentioned this to his doctor and is now prescribed zopiclone which seems to suit him better.
    Now a days I only take them very occasionally when my life's shit and my head's too busy to sleep and I don't want to resort to vast quantities of alcohol or smack.

Opiophile Moderator tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui's Avatar

My mum was prescribed 10mgs amitriptyline at nights after hurting her back. She's more into natural remedies, so avoided them. Finally completely stopped using them.

But the day she found out about my heroin/coke addictions, she went back on that amitriptyline, quick-smart.
    t

Occasionally Opiated Che! is an unknown quantity at this point Che!'s Avatar

I was prescribed this a while ago as an anti depressant/ sleep aid and i hated 'em , gave me twitchy legs and arms and made me less sleepy so I went back to my docs and she eventually scripted me some Diazepam (Valium) , which was what i wanted in the first place...but only a temporary script cos of my ongoing opiate addiction.
    Peace out.
    'O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.'

Robert Burns from 'To a Louse'

+ Reply to Thread