Oxycontin vs. Opana

Advertise on Opiophile
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oxycontin vs. Opana

Opiophorum Member Hydro-Joe is an unknown quantity at this point Hydro-Joe's Avatar

Default Oxycontin vs. Opana

I was recently placed on Opana [oxymorphone] for break-through pain. I also use the 100mcg/h Fentanyl patch [Sandoz 'gel' type patch]. I take 2-10mg Opana two times a day and use one 100mcg/h patch every 48 hours.

I was offered Oxycontin by my doctor prior to receiving the Opana. My questions are:

What is the difference between Oxycontin and Opana?
    Which is stronger [milligram per milligram]?
    If offered the choice between the two, which would you choose?

The Opana is labeled as "Opana 10mg Tablets." These are NOT the "ER" tablets. My doc offered me "regular" or "ER" tablets...are the "ER" tablets better?

Thanks!

Hydro-Joe

QUEEN B MODERATOR roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust's Avatar

Default Re: Oxycontin vs. Opana

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro-Joe View Post
    I was recently placed on Opana [oxymorphone] for break-through pain. I also use the 100mcg/h Fentanyl patch [Sandoz 'gel' type patch]. I take 2-10mg Opana two times a day and use one 100mcg/h patch every 48 hours.

I was offered Oxycontin by my doctor prior to receiving the Opana. My questions are:

What is the difference between Oxycontin and Opana?
    Which is stronger [milligram per milligram]?
    If offered the choice between the two, which would you choose?

The Opana is labeled as "Opana 10mg Tablets." These are NOT the "ER" tablets. My doc offered me "regular" or "ER" tablets...are the "ER" tablets better?

Thanks!

Hydro-Joe
    ER would be extended release so no they wouldn't be better. 10mg of Opana is the ANALGESIC EQUALIVALENT of 20mg of Oxy. I have read mixed reviews about the buzz from Opana but for pain killing ability everything I have read and heard is that Opana is better than Oxy. But that is for pain.

..... found that when it got *really* bad, I'd cop, and fuck all that detoxing, whether I'm eating carrots and brown rice, or vodka and cough drops, I've learned only one sure thing about detoxing:
    There Ain't No Free Lunch!.......Originally posted by Duckfeet

Opiophorum Member Hydro-Joe is an unknown quantity at this point Hydro-Joe's Avatar

Thanks Roxi! I have degenerative lumbar spine disease and I have had nothing but pain. I'm so tolerant to opiates that the word "buzz" means nothing to me. I would really [if you or anyone else can believe it] like to have ONE day...pain free.

I never imagined pain could be so bad. I really feel for those who suffer from severe pain. My doctor has really been trying to help me, and for that I am thankful.

Occasionally Opiated quest390 is an unknown quantity at this point

i really hope they can find something to better treat your pain joe. i really feel for you. us addicts that dont have any pain and continue to use and put our self in pain whether it be withdrawls or what have you will never appreciate our own health. again i feel for you and hope things get better for you. quest
    ~~It can't rain all the time~~

Occasionally Opiated jinxxx is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel for you "pain people", but as a personal anecdote- my mom haD degenerative lumbar "disease" and was sent to rehabilitation. 2 months and she's 100% good (her hip joint was also acting up). And she was in intense pain, hardly able to move or sit straight, but the doc sent her to physiotherapy without giving her 1 (narcotic) painkiller - now she's taking dancing classes.

Maybe this is the way y'all could try, if ya haven't? From what I read, the AMerican way seems to be: pain=getting narcs=billions for corps who fund all-inclusive medical conferences at various nice places.

QUEEN B MODERATOR roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jinxxx View Post
    I feel for you "pain people", but as a personal anecdote- my mom haD degenerative lumbar "disease" and was sent to rehabilitation. 2 months and she's 100% good (her hip joint was also acting up). And she was in intense pain, hardly able to move or sit straight, but the doc sent her to physiotherapy without giving her 1 (narcotic) painkiller - now she's taking dancing classes.

Maybe this is the way y'all could try, if ya haven't? From what I read, the AMerican way seems to be: pain=getting narcs=billions for corps who fund all-inclusive medical conferences at various nice places.
    That's fantastic that your mom is better from therapy but she's the exception not the rule. My dad (may god rest his soul) had severe back problems, ruptures a L4 and L5, severe narrowing of the spinal canal (Spinal Stenosis) and osteophytes (fancy word for bone spurs). After months of therapy, nerve blocks, and steriod injections he was no better off. He needed a very invasive surgery to repair what was wrong with his back but even the best surgeons at a teaching hospital near us would not perform the surgery because of cardiac issues, they were afraid he wouldn't make it through surgery. even with that diagnosis, he had a very hard time getting a doctor to prescribe anything more than Vicodin HP, thankfully he finally did find a doctor and was able to have some pain free days.

..... found that when it got *really* bad, I'd cop, and fuck all that detoxing, whether I'm eating carrots and brown rice, or vodka and cough drops, I've learned only one sure thing about detoxing:
    There Ain't No Free Lunch!.......Originally posted by Duckfeet

+ Reply to Thread