+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Oil User - Advice for first Dab Device

Opiophorum Member Ryouge will become famous soon enough Ryouge will become famous soon enough Ryouge will become famous soon enough Ryouge will become famous soon enough Ryouge will become famous soon enough Ryouge's Avatar

Leaf New Oil User - Advice for first Dab Device

Hey guys,

Figured I'd ask around on here to get some recommendations of newbie dab devices.

I just learned about dabs and oil and whatnot, so I'm still new to it all.

What's a dome?

What would my best option for portable dabs/oil be? A smaller portable vaporizer, not necessarily water filtered.

Medium end dab device for a bong?

Let's talk about dabs!

Woot.

If I send you postcards from the side of the road
    Photographs of moving parts about to implode
    If I crawl to keep it together like you say you know I can do
    To transmit the moment from me to you
    Wouldn't mama be proud?

Junky CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater's Avatar

Default Re: New Oil User - Advice for first Dab Device

I have never done "dabs" before. When I used to smoke oil, it was usually shitty blackish green chlorophyll-ridden gunk that was only good for spreading on papers. Some batches were okay and would add their own "flavor" and "glow" to the overall cannabis high, but most of the time it just made the joints burn forever and gave me a headache. Now honey oil is a different story altogether, mainly because it's been extracted correctly with butane and not grain alcohol or whatever. It's all got to do with polar/non-polar solvents and whatnot. Google.

But from watching the hip cannabis cats of youtube, from what I can gather, a "dome" is just a glass globe that fits over the really hot "plate" that you are to "dab" your oil onto. Some people heat the plate, some people heat the glass nail that you "dab" with, and some heat both. The whole point of the dome is to keep you from burning your hands and fingers and to keep you from dropping and losing your dab...as far as I can see.

Now I'll be the first to point out that, for me, this whole thing looks VERY convoluted and complicated and I would much rather just smoke out of my glass bowl with a good ol' Bic lighter. But, alas, some health-nut folks out there don't like to taste the butane from the lighter (something I have remedied by simply grinding the weed to joint consistency and packing my bowl with that, so the bowl cherries on its own after a single quick light with the bic) and have decided that this dabbing thing is the way to go.

This is for oil and "budder" smokers mainly. This budder stuff is not cannabutter to be eaten, but some sort of ultra pure cooked down butane hash oil that melts like butter when "dabbed" and that's basically all I know about it. I've seen it cooked up once on YT, so I'm not the best person to ask.

For me, oil is just too cumbersome. I have heard some 'philes here talking about freezing and eating the stuff, which sounds a lot better to me. Now real good HASH is another story. I love that stuff either on its own or mixed with buds in a "salad bowl." But oil for me has always just been a fun additive to my buds and nothing more.

For those who make their own GOOD BHO or can buy the good stuff from their dealer or MMJ dispensary...GREAT! But for me the whole burning the nails with blowtorches thing...just too methy for me.

Not that there's anything WROOOONNNGGG with that!

(name the show and win the in-tra-nets)

Never Looked Back iriewon has conned a lot of people to get this much rep iriewon has conned a lot of people to get this much rep iriewon has conned a lot of people to get this much rep iriewon has conned a lot of people to get this much rep iriewon has conned a lot of people to get this much rep iriewon has conned a lot of people to get this much rep iriewon has conned a lot of people to get this much rep iriewon has conned a lot of people to get this much rep iriewon has conned a lot of people to get this much rep iriewon has conned a lot of people to get this much rep iriewon has conned a lot of people to get this much rep iriewon's Avatar

vape pen. check out the micro vaped ones. best out imo. easiest to use n good price. can use it anywhere too...atleast i use mine anywhere anyways and never had any problems...knock on wood.

a dome is this globe piece in the second pic you can see it covering the nail you would heat to put your oil on...this is a concentrate/oil rig. one of many out there...id still go with a vape pen tho personally. oil rigs can get pricey.

that being said...the best rig ive ever used is the rooster apparatus in the pic...thing is so fkn smoooth. theyre a little pricey tho...that ran around $450 i think it was retail. compared to a $70 micro vaped pen you can bring anywhere lol
    Attached Images
    I'm so skinny, but that semi-auto's right in my waist
    From Jags to Jeeps, hoopties with the raggedy seats
    Just imagine how I'm movin if we had any beef
    Beats relax me, good cheeba keeps me nasty
    Lower the smoke when I see the D's creepin past me
    Duckin the NARCs, born bustin Dutches apart
    Love pussy wit pretty lips, when you fuck it it fart

Junky CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater is a name known to all CanadianColdWater's Avatar

There's also something called a "health stone" out there that is designed for this dabbing purpose...or so I've read.

True Opiophile duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck's Avatar

You can get a small glass rig, with a nail and a dome for around $75 at head shops. A vape pen will be close to that, and I have grown to not really love vape pens. for one The flavor they produce is nowhere near as nice as a good dab. also, They use WAY more oil than an efficient rig with an efficient person dabbing.

As others have said, you get an oil rig. itll look something like this probably:

The globe is the glass fish bowl that covers where the bowl would go in a typical bong, but now it is replaced by the nail.

The nail is simply a pad that you head up very hot, then just dab the oil onto it, which vaporizes it. The nail in the picture is the glass oval inside the dome. Some nails are glass, some are metals like quartz and titanium.

The nail has little holes in the bottom of it, where it enters into the slide.

It is essential to get the nail super hot. I get it to where it is literally glowing red-orange hot. Probably a good 15-20 seconds with a butane kitchen torch (used for creme brulee and shit). You then take your dabber, which is just a metal pen-like instrument, that you have gotten a dab of oil with, and prepare to press it on the nail. I like to start to very slowly/lightly inhale on the rig as I go to dab the oil on the nail, it helps to vaporize IME. You want to draw more like a big bowl hit, instead of a bong hit. draw evenly, and patiently. As long as your nail is super hot, you will have a solid 10 seconds to dab. its more than enough time.

Note: you obviously remove the globe when you go heat the nail. once its red hot, replace the globe over the nail, and then dab.

DO NOT EVER TOUCH THE NAIL. IT WILL BURN THE FUCK OUT OF YOU.

the only difference when taking a rip to a normal bong, is you do not pull the nail out like you would the slide/bowl to clear the hit.

Enjoy -- welcome to the country club of pot smoking

Opiophorum Member Ryouge will become famous soon enough Ryouge will become famous soon enough Ryouge will become famous soon enough Ryouge will become famous soon enough Ryouge will become famous soon enough Ryouge's Avatar

Mmmmmmmm. I'm quite excited. I've just been enjoying all the killer strains that are making their way to my area, but more and more people are talking about oil, so it's only a matter of time. I currently can get/have a bit of honey oil, but I'm probably one of the few outside of Madison.
    If I send you postcards from the side of the road
    Photographs of moving parts about to implode
    If I crawl to keep it together like you say you know I can do
    To transmit the moment from me to you
    Wouldn't mama be proud?

True Opiophile duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck is cooler than ice duck's Avatar

just sprinkle some oil on top of your bowl, works great

Hmmm...this sounds extremely economical. And when it comes to weed, I am ALL ABOUT frugality! Maybe I have been looking at this the wrong way.

Still, just the fact of stoned ol' me having to handle something as dangerous as a blow torch. I suppose one of those crack lighters would work. Y'know, those little blue-flame torches you can buy at Home Depot? The ones everyone around here uses for crack. Would that get the nail hot enough? Or would I go through torches like cold water? I got a refillable one before and I couldn't get the bastard to take the butane no matter what brand of 'tane I used. Must have been factory fucked.

I may have to look into this and start making butane hash oil again. Or as it's sometimes called...HONEY OIL!

I've never been a country club member before.

To think of the oil I've wasted when it could have been "dabbed."

Nah man, you're gonna need at minimum a kitchen torch, like this:

The reason being, you gotta get that nail fuckin hot. I know the crack lighter you speak of, and it would take at least 45 seconds to heat it to proper temp...go with the kitchen butane torch.

I actually use a propane torch like this one

It gets it proper hot in 15 seconds.

its awesome how much oil rigs have come down in price. You can also just get a bowl attachment instead of the nail and use it as a typical bong. Be sure to clean the weed resin crap outta there before you switch back to the nail.

One really cool thing about an oil rig is that you can use everclear to clean it every once in a while, just swirl it around in there a bit at a time. it'll get it 95% clean. You can then reduce the everclear, and reclaim your oil! Though I suggest using the reclaim in an edible as opposed to dabbing it...not very smooth.

I fucking love oil.

Have you checked out budder? where you use a "whisking" type process to whip air into it. It dries it out and makes it much easier to hand. Here is a my last batch of it, ive been getting standard oil for a while (pic has been posted before on here elsewhere)
    Attached Images

Yes! This is the "budder" I mentioned in one of my above posts. I didn't know it was simply a matter of incorporating air into the oil. I saw the dude online pour his newly made BHO onto a pyrex plate and just mix mix mix over a simmering pot of water and sure enough, before your eyes it turns into those neat little chunks you've got in the picture there. Awesome job, duck!

Cool, I will have to get me one of those torches. Something refillable that actually refills and WORKS would be a nice change around here. I'm just such a bic bitch. I have been buying bics by the barrelful since I became a stoner in my teens. They are in 5 packs in basically every check out line (by the gum) and I always grab a pack when shuffling through walmart or whatever other place that sells N2O whippets. I deserve a nice lighter! I could probably also use such a torch for doing blades as well, if I ever get some company and decide I wanna tear the throat out of myself.

Mmmm damn duck, that stuff you made looks so tasty right now. Looks a lot like good greenish hash. Some of the best stuff I've smoked had that light green tinge. I'm looking at this still beautiful, but comparably lackluster bag-o-buds and seriously considering turning it into some oil. I've never made oil from straight bud before...only trimmings. But now I have no trimmings since I haven't known a current grower for a couple years. So many growers STILL give the shit away. They know about BHO and bubble bags but can't be bothered.

EDIT - have you also seen that stuff called "shatter" that they are making out of BHO? It's all over youtube. I watched the full extraction process and it has something to do with adding a pile of everclear to the evaporating butane that's just been run through the weed tube. Changes it chemically or something and creates this glass-like "brown meth" is the only way to describe it. But apparently the end product is clean and pure. Just looks weird to see a chill stoner smoking what looks like dirty old biker meth.
    Last edited by CanadianColdWater; 03-14-2013 at 11:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread