Advertise on Opiophile
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cymbalta And Neurontin... A combo to consider as an opiate free way of pain Mgmt? ??

Junky hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend's Avatar

Default Cymbalta And Neurontin... A combo to consider as an opiate free way of pain Mgmt? ??

I am well aware that everyone's body chemistry is different and in no way should my experiences be considered gospel and with that being said....

I had a bit of a suicidal meltdown back in june and wound up in a psych ward for a few weeks and even though i was still given my normal pain meds 5- 30's a day they put me on 60 mg's of cymbalta as well as 300mg's of gabba 3x a day...

Now when my chronic abuse of my pain meds resulted in a 2 week period of forced abstinence i noticed i did not get 2/3rd's of the normal withdrawal symptoms... IE, no restless leg, cold flashes and my mood was stable. the latter being the biggest driver towards relapse.

Even right now i have been over 96 hrs without any opiate at all and i feel fine...

Well, 70 percent would be an accurate number...

and as far as pain my neuropathic pain and lower back probs are practically nil.

If depression during withdrawals is a driving force towards relapse it might be something worth looking in to.

Maybe it will help some poor schmuck like it is helping me...

just my two pennies
    "I am neither Christian nor Jewish nor Buddist, nor a conventionally religious person of any sort.
    I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without any expectation of rewards or punishments after I'm dead." -kurt vonnegut

Health Professional jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill's Avatar

Default Re: Cymbalta And Neurontin... A combo to consider as an opiate free way of pain Mgmt?

Lyrica worked really well for my neuropathic pain. Unfortunately, it made me gain 15-20 lbs in only 6 weeks, starting weight of 100 and extremely athletic at the time.

I spent 13 years on Neurontin prior to that, which did control my pain somewhat but had zero side effects of weight gain.

Cymbalta, helped my neuropathic pain also, but after 2 years on it, it just stopped working. We tried going up on the dose but it didn't make a difference. So, I had to go off it and that was a nightmare in itself....see he other thread on Cymbalta withdrawal or Google it.
    JILL
    *Disclaimer: Any information provided or requested in this post is not intended to imply or constitute the existence of a patient/professional relationship between any parties. It is for informational purposes only, unless otherwise under written contract with this writer.

opiopopo LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha's Avatar

Default Re: Cymbalta And Neurontin... A combo to consider as an opiate free way of pain Mgmt?

I cant say enough good things about neurontin. my neuropathic pain is horrendous at night and before neurontin I was lucky to be able to sleep for an hour or two at most before having to get up for a couple hours then try it all again. now Im able to sleep for at least 3-4 hours before having to adjust positions & I dont ache constantly. on the other hand, lyrica caused horrible swelling in my lower legs & feet so I had to quit taking it after only 1 week.

I havent tried cymbalta because I had a bad reaction to a similar med so my dr advised against it but Ive heard good things about it when it does work for people with pain and/or depression.

Health Professional jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill's Avatar

Unfortunately, as good as a med as Lyrica is for chronic neuro pain issues, I see trouble ahead for them in sort or another.
    JILL
    *Disclaimer: Any information provided or requested in this post is not intended to imply or constitute the existence of a patient/professional relationship between any parties. It is for informational purposes only, unless otherwise under written contract with this writer.

Junky hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend is a glorious beacon of light hopefiend's Avatar

lyrica has horrendous withdrawals my father told me.
    "I am neither Christian nor Jewish nor Buddist, nor a conventionally religious person of any sort.
    I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without any expectation of rewards or punishments after I'm dead." -kurt vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by hopefiend View Post
    lyrica has horrendous withdrawals my father told me.
    Interesting, I didn't have that experience and neither have the patients I can think of, but FUCK Cymbalta, I wanted to die.
    JILL

OpioNoMo borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker

Pregabalin and gabapentin both mimic GABA so it's little surprise that there are issues with abstinence syndrome. I would expect them to be similar to GHB in the dependence they can cause. The pharmaceutical development business is dirty and underhand. I'm sure they knew damned well that the stuff was addictive but I'm just as sure that the results got buried to get product to market.

Opiophile Moderator tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui is better than sex! tui's Avatar

I've heard gabapentin can have terrible withdrawals. Has anyone experienced these?

Opiophorum Member zoomer will become famous soon enough zoomer will become famous soon enough zoomer will become famous soon enough zoomer will become famous soon enough zoomer will become famous soon enough zoomer's Avatar

I take Gabapentin and love the stuff for Opiate withdrawals along with lope works great for a few days , Cymbalta on the other hand was no help at all for me as far as pain. but Gab. is good stuff helps with nerve pain as Tabitha said.

opiopopo LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha's Avatar

I had awful withdrawals from gabapentin when hospitalized for kidney failure. I was miserable as fuck.

Health Professional candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy's Avatar

I use Neurontin for sleep and for fibromyalgia and it certainly helps with sleep, not as much as I would like, but much better than relying on benzos.

Never Looked Back AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi's Avatar

I'm on neurontin for nerve pain. I take such high doses and have been for 3+ years that it does nothing for wds. I've tried cymbalta and it did not help at all.

On several occasions, due to my procrastination, I've had to quit neurontin ct and i've had no wds. The only thing I noticed has a huge increase in nerve pain. neurontin doesn't eliminate all of my nerve pain, but when you start to feel electrical shocks shooting down your legs into your feet/toes, you know that it does help some.
    Where drugs are plentiful, plenty will be used and abused

I've heard gabapentin can have terrible withdrawals. Has anyone experienced these?
    As I have said before (probably even earlier in this thread), I was on Neurontin (brand)/gabapentin (generic) for 13 years at fairly high doses for my weight for neuropathy/neuropathic pain.

I CT'd off of it without any problems at all. However, you can see from other peoples answers, this obviously isn't universal.

Now, CYMBALTA, THAT was an entirely different story, for me.
    JILL

SUPER FUCKING SOLID GOLD MEMBER Count Zero is better than sex! Count Zero is better than sex! Count Zero is better than sex! Count Zero is better than sex! Count Zero is better than sex! Count Zero is better than sex! Count Zero is better than sex! Count Zero is better than sex! Count Zero is better than sex! Count Zero is better than sex! Count Zero is better than sex! Count Zero's Avatar

I certainly think this is possible, I had a freind (RIP Mike) who used to swear by a gabapentin and doxepin combo, he said they removed 95% of his wd symptoms.

Can you clarify this, please?
    I certainly think this is possible, I had a freind (RIP Mike) who used to swear by a gabapentin and doxepin combo, he said they removed 95% of his wd symptoms.

You are just referring to removing opiate withdrawal sxs and not speaking of Cymbalta and/or Neurontin as an opiate-free way of pain management?
    JILL

Never Looked Back hydrophile is a splendid one to behold hydrophile is a splendid one to behold hydrophile is a splendid one to behold hydrophile is a splendid one to behold hydrophile is a splendid one to behold hydrophile is a splendid one to behold hydrophile is a splendid one to behold hydrophile is a splendid one to behold hydrophile is a splendid one to behold hydrophile is a splendid one to behold hydrophile is a splendid one to behold hydrophile's Avatar

Im with you Lortabitha. I just cant say enough about nuerotin. Im on the starting month of it getting my body adjustedto it before going ro a higher dose. Im on 100mgs 3 times a day and my pain in my legs (especially sciatic nerve) and my arms are almost totally gone! My back pain is still there but id say its also 25% reduced!

Im excited as all hell to go to 300mgs 3 times a day next month cause i wanna see if it lowers my back pain even further cause honestly that would just be fucking amazing!
    Vice, in its true light, is so deformed, that it shocks us at first sight; and would hardly ever seduce us, if it did not at first wear the mask of some virtue.

Philip Dormer Stanhope, 4th Earl Chesterfield (1694-1773), British statesman, man of letters. repr. in The Letters of the Earl of Chesterfield to His Son, vol. 1, no. 142, ed. Charles Strachey (1901). letter, Feb. 22, 1748 (1774).

I KNOW THINGS ARE GUNNA CHANGE......BUT I CANT SAY BAD OR GOOD!
    -Neil Young "Look Out For My Love"

LONG LIVE THE SOCK PUPPET PERVERT!
    R.I.P. Chemboy7!

just a helpful note to anyone who has been scripted 600 mgs gabapentin or more... the 300 mg capsules are about half the price of the 600 mg tablets in equivalent doses ( in other words take 2 capsules instead of 1 tablet if you do not have insurance). I had been getting the 600 mg tablets for about a year before a pharmacist told me about the price difference and it has saved me hundreds of dollars over the last few years.

hydrophile quoted:
    .....Im excited as all hell to go to 300mgs 3 times a day next month cause i wanna see if it lowers my back pain even further cause honestly that would just be fucking amazing!
    I would undoubtedly expect greater effects (pain relief, as well as side effects) from 300mgs TID than the 100mgs TID that you are on now! Side effects are definitely dose dependent.

Just also be careful with changing over as it may make you sleepy/uncoordinated at first. You may want to try and taper up a little, like perhaps at least the first day (one day minimum, if no problems), skip the AM 300mg dose and just stick with your 100mg dose there. Then try the other 2 doses at 300mg and see how you do. Titrate up or back down depending on side effects.

Remember, some people can go up and down with little to no problems and some may have a much harder time. For example, I was at 100mg TID for approx. 6-9 months, I believe (and that was my third try at the medication!). Just be careful is all I am saying, and if you have any significant problems, call your dr about your dosing.

900mg per day is still quite a low daily dose (for neuropathic pain), so you have a ways to go with your dose, if necessary!

Good luck, hydrophile!!
    JILL

+ Reply to Thread