Advertise on Opiophile
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bullshit twenty year sentence

Opiophile Moderator clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton's Avatar

Default Bullshit twenty year sentence

Man gets 20 years in teen's heroin death
    A 39-year-old Lewistown man was sentenced Thursday to 20 years in prison for injecting heroin into a teen two years ago that resulted in her death.

Jeremy Settles, who had pleaded guilty to distribution of heroin in December, received the mandatory minimum of 20 years from U.S. District Judge James Shadid for his role in the July 3, 2010, death of Rebecca Chambers, 18, of rural Lewistown.

The federal courtroom was filled with family and friends of Chambers, many of whom wore tribute T-shirts with a montage of photos on the front and angel wings on the back. Her mother, Tammy Chambers, and older sister, Bobbie Sue Chambers, read written statements in shaky but unbroken voices to Shadid before he rendered the sentence.

"She's been gone 23 months and it hurts as much today as the day I lost her," said Tammy Chambers. "Rebecca was no angel, she'd be the first to tell you, but she never deserved for her life to be ended in this way."

The sentencing began with expert testimony to determine whether it was heroin that killed Rebecca Chambers or a combination of heroin and other substances. On the line for Settles was no time in prison to 20 years if Shadid found that factors other than heroin caused the teen's death, or 20 years to life in prison if he found heroin was a contributing cause of death.

Forensic pathologist Scott Denton testified elevated amounts of the prescription drug Xanax were found in her system, but that Rebecca Chambers would not have died if she had not taken heroin.

"But not for the heroin, would she have lived?" Assistant U.S. Attorney Tate Chambers asked Denton.

"If she had not done heroin she would have lived, yes," Denton responded.

Shadid immediately found that heroin was a contributing cause of death, triggering the higher sentencing structure. At that point, the 20-year sentence was the least Settles could receive.

Shadid harshly criticized Settles before announcing the sentence, saying he failed to exercise any adult responsibility and selfishly delayed a call for help when it was clear that Rebecca Chambers was in physical distress.

"Knowing that an 18-year-old teen was using heroin, did he call her parents? Did he tell the young lady to stop? Did he tell the young lady to go home? Did he ask the young lady the name of her friends and call them to come get her? Did he make any effort to deny her access to the drugs? No, he did none of those," Shadid said. "His concern for keeping himself out of jail overrode any thought to get this young woman the help that she obviously needed."

Shadid ended with the reading of a dictionary definition.

"I am not a judge that resorts to name calling and not one to lecture. Instead I will recite for you that the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines despicable as 'being so worthless as to rouse moral indignation' and leave it at that."

Scott Hilyard can be reached at 686-3244 or shilyard@pjstar.com. Follow him on Twitter @scotthilyard.

Never Looked Back AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi is one bad motherfucker AndiPandi's Avatar

Default Re: Bullshit twenty year sentence

There is a case like that going on here. Except it's a couple and the wife is squealing like a pig on her husband. So, he's getting most of the blame for injecting a 16 yr old and trying to hide her body in the mountains.

I think what comes to mind the most and make sense is why not have a law that doesn't prosecute people when they seek help for an OD. Oh that would be too compassionate for a country at "war" on drugs.
    Where drugs are plentiful, plenty will be used and abused

opiopopo LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha is one bad motherfucker LorTabitha's Avatar

I can see a problem with someone who fails to get help for an OD victim. I CANNOT see punishing someone for doing something that I'm quite sure the victim asked him to do. What about personal responsibility????

Opiophile Moderator clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton's Avatar

Why is he being blamed for this girls heroin use? Because he was there and helped?
    Wasn't she an adult ?
    What if she didn't have the Xanax in her system and just the heroin?
    Would she have died?
    The mother and daughter need someone to blame and Apparently they've got thier man.
    He's paying for the bad decision making of another adult,
    She knew what heroin was . He didn't hold her down and give her shots against her will ...

Opiophorum Member jibthis has a spectacular aura about jibthis has a spectacular aura about jibthis has a spectacular aura about jibthis has a spectacular aura about jibthis has a spectacular aura about jibthis has a spectacular aura about jibthis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clinton View Post
    Why is he being blamed for this girls heroin use? Because he was there and helped?
    Wasn't she an adult ?
    What if she didn't have the Xanax in her system and just the heroin?
    Would she have died?
    The mother and daughter need someone to blame and Apparently they've got thier man.
    He's paying for the bad decision making of another adult,
    She knew what heroin was . He didn't hold her down and give her shots against her will ...
    Exactly my thoughts. Did he know she had Xanax in her? If he did and knew anything about the interaction with H I bet he wouldn't have even done it. Either way she was an adult and should have had responsibility for her actions. She was the one that wanted the shot and we all know it, she even bought it if he was the "dealer". Then she asked him to spike her. That is on her, not him!

Never Looked Back doctor diesel has disabled reputation doctor diesel's Avatar

This world is deeply fucked up. Particularly when the pursuit of "justice" is happy to ride roughshod over fact and evidence in order to attribute blame for the sheer satisfaction of it.

It's always the populist choice that will score the points, folks, and fact can go hang.

So fucked up it doesn't even pass the common-sense test.
    TOP JUNK FROM TOP JUNKIES
    PAUPS "A long, narrow foot usually matches a long, narrow face, while stubby toes usually belong to beady eyes"
    DAK "People are worried I'll get so skinny I fall through my asshole and hang myself"
    CHOPS "You gotta be pretty smart to know you're stupid"
    JAMESDIGITS "I've seen horrible people in clinics and had to wait outside due to the stench"
    MAKITA "It wasn't MRSA and it wasn't necrotic fasciitis, it was just some fucked-up shit*"

*Medical term

Opiophile longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong's Avatar

I see it both ways. There should be some personal responsibility accepted by her family for sure. But this dude shouldnt get off scott-free. Theres so much more we dont know to really make an assesment. Who knows what went on. But I agree completely that 911 "OD-Calls" should be automatically decriminalized. At least as long as the callers are somewhat intelligent about it, and dont have dope sitting all over the place.
    There's a ghost band girl playin our song

Quote Originally Posted by longduckdong View Post
    I see it both ways. There should be some personal responsibility accepted by her family for sure. But this dude shouldnt get off scott-free. Theres so much more we dont know to really make an assesment. Who knows what went on. But I agree completely that 911 "OD-Calls" should be automatically decriminalized. At least as long as the callers are somewhat intelligent about it, and dont have dope sitting all over the place.

Whose bright idea was it to criminalise such calls in the first place? Is it really the case that you can be prosecuted? What for exactly?
    This is pure nuts, and I am truly shocked. A bit like this bloke...

frighteyes.jpg
    PAUPS "A long, narrow foot usually matches a long, narrow face, while stubby toes usually belong to beady eyes"
    DAK "People are worried I'll get so skinny I fall through my asshole and hang myself"
    JAMESDIGITS "I've seen horrible people in clinics and had to wait outside due to the stench"
    MAKITA "It wasn't MRSA and it wasn't necrotic fasciitis, it was just some fucked-up shit*"

*Medical term

Opiophile longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong is a glorious beacon of light longduckdong's Avatar

I think its just more of asshole cops. They hear the call over the radio and expect if they show up, itll be an easy bust...... Cock suckers

I think its just more of asshole cops. They hear the call over the radio and expect if they show up, itll be an easy bust...... Cock suckers

But if you're drowned your gear, posted your rigs to your auntie, and put your cock back in your pants, you should be okay, ja?

*Medical term

SUPER FUCKING SOLID GOLD MEMBER Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero's Avatar

I agree. She was a grown woman and she's dead and that's too bad but if you're going to shoot somebody up, you should probably make sure you don't kill them, idgaf what they already have in their system. Dude should go to jail for being a moron if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor diesel View Post
    But if you're drowned your gear, posted your rigs to your auntie, and put your cock back in your pants, you should be okay, ja?
    Yeah I would think so. But then again, I could see some deep south fucking constable in some shit-dick town taking you to jail just "because"....... (And if its a woman cop, leave the cock out. It scores you big time points)

Yeah I would think so. But then again, I could see some deep south fucking constable in some shit-dick town taking you to jail just "because"....... (And if its a woman cop, leave the cock out. It scores you big time points)

What? Like this?

cockout.jpg

*Medical term

Never Looked Back Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear's Avatar
    South East, UK about 1 hour out from London.

Shadid harshly criticized Settles before announcing the sentence, saying he failed to exercise any adult responsibility and selfishly delayed a call for help when it was clear that Rebecca Chambers was in physical distress.
    The reason why people delay calling for help when someone OD's, is because they worry that they will get arrested. If the Judge had a heart and been brought up with drug education rather than drug propaganda, he would have threw the case out and said, "In order to prevent drug deaths, we need to make sure that if people call 911 for an OD, that they will not get arrested".

Also this is another example of why having restrictions on Narcan increases overdose deaths. I heard a Harm Reduction coalition podcast, where the guy said that "every home medicine kit should have Narcan in it". And I agree, you may never know if your kid decides to use heroin or not, but if someone OD's and they know there's Narcan in the house, then that life could be saved.

Link to great video: Naloxone administration is childs play

OpioNoMo jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker

The guy was 39 and the girl was 18. He already screwed himself by hanging around an 18 year old and giving her drugs, even if he had 0 intentions of sleeping with her. Even though none of this is illegal, the court of public opinion does not like it.

Opiophile smokey is a name known to all smokey is a name known to all smokey is a name known to all smokey is a name known to all smokey is a name known to all smokey is a name known to all smokey is a name known to all smokey is a name known to all smokey is a name known to all smokey is a name known to all smokey is a name known to all smokey's Avatar

She was technically an adult, and most dealers sell to young people. Shooting her up, i completely disagree with. The main thing in this case is the judicial system. The judge, although being an uneducated fellow, and throwing a bad low blow at the end of the sentence with his dictionary definition, i don't think can be mainly blamed for this. He did give him the LOWEST sentence, too bad the lowest was 20 mother fuckin years. Thats the problem the system, corrupted to hell, and filled with unsympathetic people that run the show and slam the gavel. The mothers testimony won more hearts than the unjustice being done in front of their eyes. Now, only if the higher courts can see this, i would not have hope the supreme court will even take the time to blow their nose with this case though. Chalk another one up for the war on las drogaz.!
    Everything written by 'smokey' is a work of pure fiction. It's not true folks.

opio epione has disabled reputation epione's Avatar

hmm, talk about when getting high goes wrong~

like longduckdong said, much we don't know about what all went on - BUT its interesting to me that it was made a federal case, I wonder why it wasn't the state that prosecuted him. idk if this guy even tried, but I think if you are willing to shoot someone up you better be willing to get them help if they fall out.
    Stay Safe Everyone

+ Reply to Thread