Advertise on Opiophile
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Of Heroin Addiction and Vampirism: if you never saw this movie...

Occasionally Opiated The Strangler will become famous soon enough The Strangler will become famous soon enough The Strangler will become famous soon enough The Strangler will become famous soon enough The Strangler will become famous soon enough The Strangler's Avatar

Default Of Heroin Addiction and Vampirism: if you never saw this movie...

Ok, so I'm quite a fan of a movie titled "The Addiction", from 1995 shot in black and white by Abel Ferrara, starring Christopher Walken.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112288/

"A New York anthropology grad student turns into a vampire after getting bitten by one, and then tries to come to terms with her new lifestyle and frequent craving for human blood. "

So the whole idea behind this movie is to portray Vampires in NewYorks as Heroin Addicts. They try to "score", they actually SHOT the blood with needles, etc... Walken is really cool in it, and it has this gloomy feeling, still not horror but really street/junky type. At one point, Walken portraying an elderly vampire is telling a younger one to read William Burroughs in order to understand what vampires are about.

Here how it looks like:

So now, for the thread.
    Have you never felt like, as an heroin junkie, being a vampire ? I mean, the whole thing about living this wierd life, no sleep, awake at night asleep all day long, going througt shady places HORRIFIC stuff for your fix; The blood n needle thing but also this feeling that we know best here: the community

As vampires wd recognize themselves I guess, I can spot another addict in a subway or in the streets, and we almost have our own language, eye contact, ways of knowing what the other one is feeling ?
    Also while high, you sometimes feel this rush, like magic or something, like now everything is possible, and only YOU know those esoterics secrets of pleasure...
    And I'd add the relation with death and deceased ones...

Ok now back to my coffin

Opiophorum Member comatose will become famous soon enough comatose will become famous soon enough comatose will become famous soon enough comatose will become famous soon enough comatose's Avatar

Default Re: Of Heroin Addiction and Vampirism: if you never saw this movie...

seems interesting enough
    surprised I've never heard of it, especially with Walken in it
    I'll check it out soon, thanks

Honorary Charter Member nick has disabled reputation nick's Avatar

Yeah,it's a pretty good modern take on Vampirism and Ferrera doesn't make many bad movies.

I'm off back to rest in my coffin now.
    I yam what I yam-Popeye.

Opiophorum Member FlapJack is just really nice FlapJack is just really nice FlapJack is just really nice FlapJack is just really nice FlapJack is just really nice FlapJack is just really nice FlapJack is just really nice FlapJack is just really nice FlapJack is just really nice FlapJack's Avatar

httX://veehd.com/video/4533498_The-Addiction-1995

I'm just watching it now..

still on the opening credits, but it's there for anyone else that wants to watch it (just replace the X with a p)
    all day

Occasionally Opiated The Strangler will become famous soon enough The Strangler will become famous soon enough The Strangler will become famous soon enough The Strangler will become famous soon enough The Strangler will become famous soon enough The Strangler's Avatar

Liked it ? You have the Vampire feelin" too ?
    As for the metaphor, I'll add the "initiation" too... When you make a fix to someone who never used, It's like the first bite..

Never Looked Back dharma bum has much to be proud of dharma bum has much to be proud of dharma bum has much to be proud of dharma bum has much to be proud of dharma bum has much to be proud of dharma bum has much to be proud of dharma bum has much to be proud of dharma bum has much to be proud of dharma bum has much to be proud of dharma bum has much to be proud of dharma bum has much to be proud of dharma bum's Avatar

Gonna watch this NOW. Always loved Bad Lt. and Ms. 45 and this seems even more "in my vein".
    What kind of man talks to the DEA? No man. No man at all.----Gus

Thank you for the streaming link!
    If I remember it correctly, there's a wonderfull party/orgy scene near the end (not a spoiler)...

Occasionally Opiated gfiendn is fresh on the scene. gfiendn is fresh on the scene. gfiendn is fresh on the scene. gfiendn's Avatar

I'm glad I am not the first to make the junky/vampire symbolism connection. Vampires just look like junkies all pale and emaciated
    Oh shit! I think I have AIDS and heart arrhythmia and all the hepatitis' and meningitis and emphysema and tuberculosis and schizophrenia and swine flu and epilepsy and encephalitis and cancer and pneumonia...

Oh and probably hypochondria too.

SUPER FUCKING SOLID GOLD MEMBER Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Count Zero's Avatar

Makes sense to me-I always thought that Anne Rice's genius in "Interview" and the other books in the series was making vampires sexy and describing the act in a very sexual way, it's even less of a stretch to see vampires as junkies. I will check it out.

Never Looked Back pullmyhair is one bad motherfucker pullmyhair is one bad motherfucker pullmyhair is one bad motherfucker pullmyhair is one bad motherfucker pullmyhair is one bad motherfucker pullmyhair is one bad motherfucker pullmyhair is one bad motherfucker pullmyhair is one bad motherfucker pullmyhair is one bad motherfucker pullmyhair is one bad motherfucker pullmyhair is one bad motherfucker pullmyhair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Makes sense to me-I always thought that Anne Rice's genius in "Interview" and the other books in the series was making vampires sexy and describing the act in a very sexual way, it's even less of a stretch to see vampires as junkies. I will check it out.
    Is it just me, or do Anne Rice's books just seem like thinly veiled gay erotica?

“God, but life is loneliness, despite all the opiates, despite the shrill tinsel gaiety of "parties" with no purpose, despite the false grinning faces we all wear. And when at last you find someone to whom you feel you can pour out your soul, you stop in shock at the words you utter - they are so rusty, so ugly, so meaningless and feeble from being kept in the small cramped dark inside you so long. Yes, there is joy, fulfillment and companionship - but the loneliness of the soul in its appalling self-consciousness is horrible and overpowering.”
    - Sylvia Plath

If I treated someone else the way I treat myself, I'd be in jail. - Of Montreal

Honorary Charter Member nick has disabled reputation nick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pullmyhair View Post
    Is it just me, or do Anne Rice's books just seem like thinly veiled gay erotica?
    I wouldn't know.I find them too painful to read.
    I yam what I yam-Popeye.

+ Reply to Thread