Advertise on Opiophile

View Poll Results: Will you look into buying wheel filters now?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 69.05%
  • Maybe

6 14.29%
  • No

7 16.67%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pill injection-research into filters (pics)

Opiophorum Member herm1t has a spectacular aura about herm1t has a spectacular aura about herm1t has a spectacular aura about herm1t has a spectacular aura about herm1t has a spectacular aura about herm1t has a spectacular aura about

Default Pill injection-research into filters (pics)

Introduction & Context
    I recently attended a pill injection workshop in Australia, among the people at this workshop, there was a man called Dr. Bruno Raimondo, him and his team are running research into opioid pills such as OxyContin, MSContin and Subutex and the effectiveness of filtering. In the morphine forum I already summarized a document he did, I managed to obtain a copy of the slides he used at the presentation, although he has not released the formal version (which I will link to when he has) of the research, the slides he has emailed me are sufficient for the information people need to know.

Too long didn't read:
    Don't heat pills, heating them doesn't cause anymore drug to dissolve then a 5 minute cold soak, 2-3ml of water soaking your finely powdered pill, with a 1ml rinse through your filter (SHOULD be using a wheel filter) will give you the best results.

Harms of pill injection
    Injecting pills (or anything) can result in contaminants entering your body such as insoluble particles or bacteria and fungi. These things can irritate and inflame tissue and veins, cause infections in skin/muscle (granuloma, abscess). They can also result in local and systemic infection from the bacteria/fungi.

Insoluble and undissolved particles can cause microcirculation capillaries (5-10um) to become blocked, they clog up in the heart and lungs. Granulomas in the lungs are caused by inflammation which leads to scar tissue (fibrosis). Congmomerate masses lead to restrictive lung disease and pulmonary hypertension. The particles also reach other organs (liver, kidney etc).

Key particles in pills (OxyContin, MSContin, Subutex)

Other insoluble particles included are:
    Magnesium stearate (5-30um)
    Titanium dioxide (100um clumps) (ms, oxy)
    Other particles that change form in heat are:
    Stearyl alcohol MP is 59*C (ms, oxy)
    Eudragit RS 30D clumps at >30*C (oxy)

All these particles cause problems in your heart, lungs and other organs, the chemicals that change form in heart are the reasons why pills should NOT be heated, and you will soon find out there is no advantage to heating.

Why pills shouldn't be heated

As you can see, of these images under a microscope, heating pill solutions cause enourmous particles to dissolve in the mix. These particles will pass through the filter (wheel or cotton) and recongeal, precipitating out in your filtered mix or veins.

Ok so I shouldn't heat, what about Rollie cigarette filter filtering (or cotton).

For comparison: MSContin rollies reduce particles >5um by 60%.

What about the drug retained?

For subutex 97% of the drug is returned in this process.
    Drug is not retained in the filter after this, even if the filter is wet.

Wheel filters (and why they rock!)
    Here is the solution of two pills under a microscope before and after wheel filtering

But how many particles are removed by the wheel filters?

But what about drug recovery

For subutex drug recovery is 99%

So as you can see, using wheel filters removes all the particles that cause harm (basically), with a rinse of water after first filter, you can retain 95-99% of the drug (better then a cotton/rollie filter), and heating is generally a bad idea that does NOT help at all, and does more harm then good. Note: Hand rolled cigarette filters filter to about 50um.
    Last edited by herm1t; 03-18-2011 at 05:36 AM.

undercover cop harmonik has much to be proud of harmonik has much to be proud of harmonik has much to be proud of harmonik has much to be proud of harmonik has much to be proud of harmonik has much to be proud of harmonik has much to be proud of harmonik has much to be proud of harmonik has much to be proud of harmonik has much to be proud of harmonik has much to be proud of harmonik's Avatar

Default Re: Pill injection research into filters

I went ahead and stickied this. Very good information. Thanks!
    "you should never be embarrassed by your trouble with living, because it's the ones with the sorest throats who have done the most singing."

Flowery Jackass Moderator flowergirl needs no introduction flowergirl needs no introduction flowergirl needs no introduction flowergirl needs no introduction flowergirl needs no introduction flowergirl needs no introduction flowergirl needs no introduction flowergirl needs no introduction flowergirl needs no introduction flowergirl needs no introduction flowergirl needs no introduction flowergirl's Avatar

Wow. I'm not an IVDU, but if I were, I think that would stop me in my tracks and make me think. Very damning evidence! Excellent post.

An actual medical professional making a presentation to educate people on safer pill injection practices? I'm not positive, but I think that's about unheard of here in the US. Maybe soon we'll figure out that if you keep sweeping shit under the rug, someone's eventually going to trip on it.

Are wheel filters easily accessible in Australia? I volunteer at a NX here and there and we tell people to order online. I wish they were easier to obtain.
    Last edited by flowergirl; 03-18-2011 at 07:25 AM.

Opiophorum Member herm1t has a spectacular aura about herm1t has a spectacular aura about herm1t has a spectacular aura about herm1t has a spectacular aura about herm1t has a spectacular aura about herm1t has a spectacular aura about

The only place they are easily available as at a needle exchange in sydney, but people come from all over the area even greater sydney area to get them, there are plenty of needle exchanges but not all stock wheel filters, partly because of their cost and the fact that because they don't stop blood borne viruses, it's hard for exchanges to get the funding needed to stock them in large amounts, and as it was discussed at the workshop I went to, when needle exchanges do stock them, but charge for them, hardly anyone uses them, which is a shame, $1.50 a hit is easy to cough up if you know you're not gonna destroy your body.

Never Looked Back poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy is one bad motherfucker poppy's Avatar

I've never seen a wheel filter let alone used one. The needle exchange in my town give out standard boxes of swan filters for use in rollups.

Actually now I think about it if you get a pack of needles from designated chemists you also get everything else you need to iv including a little stericup (sort of disposable spoon cooker thingy) which has a tiny filter in it. This diddy little filter has much tighter together fibres than swan filters. Presumably these wheel filters are similar.

Never Looked Back candyman20 has much to be proud of candyman20 has much to be proud of candyman20 has much to be proud of candyman20 has much to be proud of candyman20 has much to be proud of candyman20 has much to be proud of candyman20 has much to be proud of candyman20 has much to be proud of candyman20 has much to be proud of candyman20 has much to be proud of candyman20 has much to be proud of candyman20's Avatar

i think the information is great but why in the world would scientists be wasting money on the effects of filtering a pill thats being "abused"

Quote Originally Posted by candyman20 View Post
    i think the information is great but why in the world would scientists be wasting money on the effects of filtering a pill thats being "abused"
    They 'steal' the funding from other projects, they want to prove to the government why sponsoring exchanges for $2 an injection is better then paying $3900 for hospitalization due to ill effects of injecting pills.
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I've never seen a wheel filter let alone used one. The needle exchange in my town give out standard boxes of swan filters for use in rollups.

Actually now I think about it if you get a pack of needles from designated chemists you also get everything else you need to iv including a little stericup (sort of disposable spoon cooker thingy) which has a tiny filter in it. This diddy little filter has much tighter together fibres than swan filters. Presumably these wheel filters are similar.
    Yes I know those filters, they are basically the filters they use in these experiments, they are just rollie cigarette filters cut in half, but sterile.

OpioNoMo Marlboro Man is a jewel in the rough Marlboro Man is a jewel in the rough Marlboro Man is a jewel in the rough Marlboro Man is a jewel in the rough Marlboro Man is a jewel in the rough Marlboro Man is a jewel in the rough Marlboro Man is a jewel in the rough Marlboro Man is a jewel in the rough

Isn't the bad stuff that eats your veins different from the bactria that causes trash fever?

Never Looked Back sourcecod is a glorious beacon of light sourcecod is a glorious beacon of light sourcecod is a glorious beacon of light sourcecod is a glorious beacon of light sourcecod is a glorious beacon of light sourcecod is a glorious beacon of light sourcecod is a glorious beacon of light sourcecod is a glorious beacon of light sourcecod is a glorious beacon of light sourcecod is a glorious beacon of light sourcecod is a glorious beacon of light sourcecod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by candyman20 View Post
    because maybe pill makers should be held accountable for the types of fillers they put in pills just like food makers have to answer to the FDA etc?? just a guess.

Departed Opiophile Dr. McKay is just really nice Dr. McKay is just really nice Dr. McKay is just really nice Dr. McKay is just really nice Dr. McKay is just really nice Dr. McKay is just really nice Dr. McKay is just really nice Dr. McKay is just really nice Dr. McKay is just really nice Dr. McKay is just really nice Dr. McKay is just really nice Dr. McKay's Avatar

You can get wheel filters very easy online in the US. They cost $3.50 each for a .22 um size.
    Just google it and you will find them. I wonder if it is o.k. to resuse them , or if you should only use them 1 time and then throw away ?

Never Looked Back Larkin has disabled reputation Larkin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
    You can get wheel filters very easy online in the US. They cost $3.50 each for a .22 um size.
    Just google it and you will find them. I wonder if it is o.k. to resuse them , or if you should only use them 1 time and then throw away ?
    i think they are made to dissolve so you cant use them again, bad risk for cotton fever or sepsis

Never Looked Back SuperJunky is a name known to all SuperJunky is a name known to all SuperJunky is a name known to all SuperJunky is a name known to all SuperJunky is a name known to all SuperJunky is a name known to all SuperJunky is a name known to all SuperJunky is a name known to all SuperJunky is a name known to all SuperJunky is a name known to all SuperJunky is a name known to all SuperJunky's Avatar

I have some wheel filters that are meant for solvents, those are the commonly available ones, I've used them before, I have .45um and they work OK, I've reused them, not very effective and they take forever to load up. Just my experience, I remember that nick posted a thread about the black poppy magazine, that website had all sorts of interesting things like one use filters.

Is it OK to post links if some one finds a source for real wheel filters, I know I sure as hell could use some. Especially ones that are usable with a leur lock set up, makes it easier than trying to use a slip on one when you use a 10ml syringe.

FREE RoboJunkie

/Broken and battered/

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJunky View Post
    I have some wheel filters that are meant for solvents, those are the commonly available ones, I've used them before, I have .45um and they work OK, I've reused them, not very effective and they take forever to load up. Just my experience, I remember that nick posted a thread about the black poppy magazine, that website had all sorts of interesting things like one use filters.

Is it OK to post links if some one finds a source for real wheel filters, I know I sure as hell could use some. Especially ones that are usable with a leur lock set up, makes it easier than trying to use a slip on one when you use a 10ml syringe.
    Of course it's ok to post sources for harm reduction materials. The stuff I get is 3ml barrels with luer lock wheel filters, luer lock tips as well.

UPDATE: Morphine recovery for the wheel filters is more like 95-99% as the researcher has reminded me to inform you guys, those stats are when they were first learning to use the wheel filters.

Never Looked Back The Ryan is one bad motherfucker The Ryan is one bad motherfucker The Ryan is one bad motherfucker The Ryan is one bad motherfucker The Ryan is one bad motherfucker The Ryan is one bad motherfucker The Ryan is one bad motherfucker The Ryan is one bad motherfucker The Ryan is one bad motherfucker The Ryan is one bad motherfucker The Ryan is one bad motherfucker The Ryan's Avatar

I wish they would make something similar to a wheel filter you could attach to the needle 95%+ of IV drug addicts use. Something small that they give away at exchanges.

im the only person in my town i've ever known to have a syringe capable of attaching micron filters, most just use insulin syringes.

Something small and that they gave away at exchanges.
    It is the deepest darkness that a light shines the brightest.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan5892 View Post
    I wish they would make something similar to a wheel filter you could attach to the needle 95%+ of IV drug addicts use. Something small that they give away at exchanges.

im the only person in my town i've ever known to have a syringe capable of attaching micron filters, most just use insulin syringes.

Something small and that they gave away at exchanges.
    Hmm that would be good, the only thing close to that, is a thing called a sterifilt which attaches to the end of insulin syringes, it basically just works as a sterile cotton filter. Unfortunately, I think the only way Americans are going to be able to reduce the harms of intravenous drug use to users, is with the introduction of needle exchanges in each state that supply the right rigs and wheel filters (and the information to go with it), it seems the right-wing in your country aren't keen on this at all.

Opiophile SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sourcecod View Post
    because maybe pill makers should be held accountable for the types of fillers they put in pills just like food makers have to answer to the FDA etc?? just a guess.
    Exactly, what are these fillers doing in pills they damn well know people are going to grind up and inject. They are effectively putting heroin analogues in a pill out into society with substances in them that will fuck up the people that inject them very badly. These substances maim and cause death over time. What they are doing is criminal. What happened to the tablets that were made for IV use, I see the old bottles on the internet. Wouldn't it be cheaper to society just to press a pure morphine/oxycodone/hydromorphone pill with a little dextrose or inert filler anyway and distribute those at clinics?
    "Who lives longer? The man who takes heroin for two years and dies, or a man who lives on roast beef, water and potatoes 'till 95? One passes his 24 months in eternity. All the years of the beefeater are lived only in time."
    — Aldous Huxley

Junky Swellin is a jewel in the rough Swellin is a jewel in the rough Swellin is a jewel in the rough Swellin is a jewel in the rough Swellin is a jewel in the rough Swellin is a jewel in the rough Swellin is a jewel in the rough Swellin is a jewel in the rough

herm1t i got a question not sure if you can answer it or not, when using an wheel filter or a sterifilt for the insulin syringes, I iv morphine specific bran is called M-eslon simalr to Kaidians except the beads are very small and there are probably thousands in a 60mg cap, also they break down completely into a powder unlike the kaidians. Now my question is this I inject roughly 200 mg of morphine which means i need to use at least 3ml of water, so when using a sterifilt i need to draw up the solution 3-4 times and put it into the 3 ml barrels, should i be using a new filter per 1ml draw? I need to do it 3 times remember so Im wonder if i should be using 3 different filters each time. Thanks.

Also i will stop heating my solution's IMMEDIATELY, thanks so much for the information my friend.

Never Looked Back Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear's Avatar
    South East, UK about 1 hour out from London.

If you use a wheel filter, you are supposed to use a 5 or 10 mL syringe with them, as smaller syringes have higher pressure, and that can damage the filter, especially if you push the liquid through filter too quickly.

So to use one, you would draw up your morphine solution into a 5 mL syringe, then attach the wheel filter, and then push the solution through the filter either into another fresh spoon. Alternatively attach a needle to the end of the wheel filter, and push the liquid through the filter, and out the needle which is poked down the tip of a 3 mL syringe with the plunger pulled back (front-loading). Then the filtered solution will fill up the 3 mL syringe. Once full, attach a fresh needle to the 3 mL syringe, and it's ready to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellin View Post
    herm1t i got a question not sure if you can answer it or not, when using an wheel filter or a sterifilt for the insulin syringes, I iv morphine specific bran is called M-eslon simalr to Kaidians except the beads are very small and there are probably thousands in a 60mg cap, also they break down completely into a powder unlike the kaidians. Now my question is this I inject roughly 200 mg of morphine which means i need to use at least 3ml of water, so when using a sterifilt i need to draw up the solution 3-4 times and put it into the 3 ml barrels, should i be using a new filter per 1ml draw? I need to do it 3 times remember so Im wonder if i should be using 3 different filters each time. Thanks.

Also i will stop heating my solution's IMMEDIATELY, thanks so much for the information my friend.
    I find that I like to leave the same filter on when cotton filter before I put through a wheel filter, as the pill filler builds up and actually makes the filter finer, so if you are filtering 3 times through the sterifilt, just use the same one, as long as the pill filler is building up and blocking other particles from getting through, if the solution is getting noticeably clearer, that's good. But please try and obtain some wheel filters as cottons are never as effective.

Also thank you Woody Bear, I had never thought about it and I practically always use a 3ml, but when I use a 5ml, it is almost always a smoother experience with wheel filters.

Token ★ Phenethylaminophile Chipper has disabled reputation Chipper's Avatar

Having used large cotton balls most of my life (wheel filters became too expensive) I must reflect on the fact that the pharaceutical companies would start with an injectable compound and then go to all the trouble to put it into pill form BUT then we risk life and limb trying to get that stuff back out, literally.

We all know this yet we still can't access the sterile, injectable compound because "people shouldn't inject it !" but they do. Let me repeat that - "WE DO !" and it's pretty obvious.

Hello ? When will someone with influence and power step up and admit that we're too busy putting the cart before the horse and then bolting the gate after it runs away. Ok, so I'm heavy on the cliches but you get my point.
    Last edited by Chipper; 01-09-2012 at 01:43 AM.
    "Shoot drugs not people"

Never Looked Back Nagelfar has much to be proud of Nagelfar has much to be proud of Nagelfar has much to be proud of Nagelfar has much to be proud of Nagelfar has much to be proud of Nagelfar has much to be proud of Nagelfar has much to be proud of Nagelfar has much to be proud of Nagelfar has much to be proud of Nagelfar has much to be proud of Nagelfar has much to be proud of Nagelfar's Avatar

I recently found my two boxes of luer lock .22 micron syringe filters stashed at my father's place. I will use them on pills if I am lucky enough to have the chance. I got rid of all of my rigs currently, but I'm not ever tossing these individually wrapped filters.

These are the very same boxes of filters pictured on the wheel filter Wikipedia page taken by yours truly as a matter of fact.
    And behold, all things are written by the Father; therefore out of the books which shall be written shall the world be judged. 3 Nephi 27:26

Opiophorum Member OP8world is just really nice OP8world is just really nice OP8world is just really nice OP8world is just really nice OP8world is just really nice OP8world is just really nice OP8world is just really nice OP8world is just really nice OP8world is just really nice OP8world's Avatar

Needle Re: Pill injection-research into filters (pics)

I have IVed morphine about ten times, 7 of those times have been in the past week.

Where I live, there are no wheel filters. Anyway, I have been packing sterile cotton into a 1ml insulin syringe, and pressing 3mls of sterile saline with about 180mg morphine through that. I do this three times.
    The first 1ml insulin suringe has fluffy loose cotton filling over half the syringe,
    the 2nd one has cotton pressed into 20 units, that filled 2/3 of the syringe when fluffy.
    The 3rd syringe has extremely dense sterile cotton pressed into about 10 units, which filled about 2/3 of the syringe when fluffy.

I draw 3mls up in a 3ml syringe and place that needless syringe into the back of a plungerless insulin rig.

By the time the solution goes through the 3rd filter it is completely clear. I see much progress in the clarity of solution from the 1st to 2nd to 3rd filtration. After the 3rd trip through the cotton, I fill up a 3ccc syringe and can leave that needle-end up for hours and never see any white residue on the (black) plunger.

I would love to try the wheel filters but the only place I know of is getpinz.com. They are available there for $4-6USD, but I'd like to pay less than that.

Where on the internet can I buy sterile wheel filters for less than $4 each?

Is .45 more practical than .22? Can I thoroughly filter through cotton first then use a .22?
    Last edited by OP8world; 02-27-2012 at 06:29 AM.

OpioNoMo jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker jimmyfingers is one bad motherfucker

Default Re: Pill injection-research into filters (pics)

Getpinz.com - You want the Whatman PVDF .20u which is the best wheel filter money can buy. If you call them up, they will send you a 5-10 wheel filters. The cost 5.50 a piece so you better go ahead and prep 20 pills into a sterile vial with some bac water.

Check on ebay too. I bought 100 of the PVDF for 100 +25 for shipping. This was a while back and not sure if he is still selling them

Never Looked Back Larkin has disabled reputation Larkin's Avatar

Default Re: Pill injection-research into filters (pics)

another phantom surveyor! argh!

was it you hydrophile?! and holy shit Dr. fingers got banned?! For being a shill?

+ Reply to Thread