Advertise on Opiophile
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: untreated hep c life expectancy?

Occasionally Opiated MindAsh is an unknown quantity at this point MindAsh's Avatar

Default untreated hep c life expectancy?

anyone able to even give a rough aproximation of what the average lifespan is for someone suffering from hep c untreated from the time of infection, not lookin for a cold hard number moreso just curious on statistics (dont worry im not asking out of fear etc) basicly how long would an average healthy male infected in their late 20's with prior normal liver test results normally last untreated also factoring in years of massive tylenol liver bashings that never once showed any signs of having caused damage as far as liver blood panels are concerned. thanks in advance
    All obstacles have a gift waiting for you on the other side

Never Looked Back LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow's Avatar

Default Re: untreated hep c life expectancy?

You could still just die of old age... nothing to do with your liver.
    You would need to quit drinking, and the tylenol etc, but everyone is different... and many hep c sufferers will just die of old age, as long as they start taking good care of their livers.
    LayLowNslow- my posts are mainly non-fiction, true, and no bullshit.

When I am good, I am very good. When I am bad, I am even better.

talk to me like water running down a stream, i want to hear you say that dilly is water soluable again... it makes my panties moist layinL....

Occasionally Opiated MindAsh is an unknown quantity at this point MindAsh's Avatar

for the sake of argument lets say the person this is being asked about for has no intentions of changing their lifestyle, albeit they dont drink more than a beer or two a year as it stands but have ingested up to 40 grams of Tylenol at a clip multiple times at least once every 2 months for 5 years etc etc, like i said just some rough but statistically sound number would suffice. this person isnt gonna change for anyone not even them self think of it more on planning to have enough saved up in time for funeral arrangements lol
    All obstacles have a gift waiting for you on the other side

Health Professional jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill is one bad motherfucker jill's Avatar

Basically, what LL said. Who knows? We see patients we don't think will live another 2 years go on for 10+ and those that had really minimal damage and normal labs pass away early.

Then there's life....it could just be old age complications that gets one first!

edit: You added a post I hadn't seen. Well, it sounds like they have a death wish 40 grams of Tylenol?!!...even a few times a month isn't a good thing, just can't predict this, people surprise us everyday. 5-20 years.
    JILL
    *Disclaimer: Any information provided or requested in this post is not intended to imply or constitute the existence of a patient/professional relationship between any parties. It is for informational purposes only, unless otherwise under written contract with this writer.

Token ★ Phenethylaminophile Chipper has disabled reputation Chipper's Avatar

Chippers rough rule of thumb:

20% get rid of it without knowing they even had it, 20% die from it despite what happens, the rest treat it and away it goes.

A friend very recently died from untreated HEP-C. He was an alcoholic and a junky. He died at 55. The worst part was that he came into a million dollars a few months earlier.

So, who knows ? The future looks good. Treatment is advised, of course.
    "Shoot drugs not people"

Never Looked Back Benz has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Benz has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Benz has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Benz has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Benz has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Benz has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Benz has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Benz has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Benz has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Benz has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Benz has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Benz's Avatar

I've known quite a few people with Hep C. The demographic you're describing is quite common but the results are incredibly varied.
    Some people get by unscathed, some people suffer severe liver damage despite treatment. ANY further insults to your liver, alcohol & APAP in any ammount, are not wise.
    Getting treatment for it is even better. No doctor I have ever spoken to or heard about is willing (or probably able) to give figures on when a person will or will not succomb to Hep C. It really is variable.

Benz

Never Looked Back OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude's Avatar

diagnosed with Hep C showing in blood for the first time in my 50's....as far as I know it was contracted in my 20's (the 70's) ... my doc's opinion at the time was - yes it should be treated - to my knowledge or lack of, the courses of treatment vary in terms of effect, side effects & cost. Right now cost is an issue. Interferon is said to have 50/50 effectiveness and potential chemo therapy side effects.

My doc also said that if it took over 20 years to formulate as a virus in another 20 years it may have an effect...I will be 74 then...is it worth treating?

For the time being I have left Interferon treatment out of the equation and begn research on a few assorted holistic treatments...

I have completely given up alcohol, never really liked it...there was a time when I didn't know from CWE's & I very very rarely take anything that has more than 325mg of APAP.

ymmv. Good luck with the hypothetical. & Happy New Year.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

everything I say is completely or mostly fiction and made up - basically the ramblings of an aging moron that has seen too much, felt too much & heard too much -
    See me, feel me, touch me....healing...slo 'n ez get's there.

Opiophorum Member Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80's Avatar

Re: untreated hep c life expectancy?

I got hep C in 1965, when I was 9. I broke my hip, had surgery, and a blood transfusion. Back then it was called Non A Non B hepatitis. They didn't screen for it cause they didn't know what the fuck it was yet.
    Found out I had it when I was 20, during liver function tests.
    I'm 54 now. I had interferon treatments and they didn't do anything. They make you feel like shit and the list of side effects is LONG... Turns out I have the genome that is resistant to treatment (There are 6 genomes of hep C, 1 thru 6.)
    Aside from being tired most of the time, and being either too hot or too cold, I haven't been very sick from it.
    I also don't drink, but I eat the shit outta Hydros,(5-10 750's a day) I'm sure all that Acetominophen ain't too good for me!!
    here is some good reading on hep C:
    http://www.microbiologybytes.com/virology/HCV.html

Granny Nurse Moderator
    PLATINUM MEMBER
    SUPER FUCKING SOLID GOLD MEMBER
    Poppylvr has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Poppylvr has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Poppylvr has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Poppylvr has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Poppylvr has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Poppylvr has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Poppylvr has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Poppylvr has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Poppylvr has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Poppylvr has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Poppylvr has conned a lot of people to get this much rep Poppylvr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindAsh View Post
    anyone able to even give a rough aproximation of what the average lifespan is for someone suffering from hep c untreated from the time of infection, not lookin for a cold hard number moreso just curious on statistics (dont worry im not asking out of fear etc) basicly how long would an average healthy male infected in their late 20's with prior normal liver test results normally last untreated also factoring in years of massive tylenol liver bashings that never once showed any signs of having caused damage as far as liver blood panels are concerned. thanks in advance
    My Dad got Non A Non B hepatitis (the former name of Hep C) following emergency heart surgery in the 1970's.
    His body cleared it without any treatment. Blood tests now show he HAD it but no longer HAS it.
    May you be as lucky. Eat well, get plenty of rest, avoid liver antagonists as much as possible.

Never Looked Back underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide's Avatar

I got Hep C or rather i got the news that i have HepC about 6-7 months ago
    They were doing tests for random people at the clinic and my doctor suggested i take the test so i did

Finding out that i have Hep c wasn't as big a shock to me as i might've thought and i do remember sharing around more careless times that i've used
    I have type 2 b

So this late august I started treatment that is to last another half a year at least

I have to say the treatment isn't very pleaseant - the nausea, the lack of sleep, the muscle pains and fevers are said to be unusual for someone in my type of Hepatitis but that is still to be expected for some patients and i seem to be one of those that reacts badly to it on the physica level, although TYPE 2 hepatitis is said to be the easiest of hepC to treat so he told me i'm having worse symptoms than the average person on the treatment would but it is still not actually all that godawufully bad either so i certainly pan to stick with it
    It's like having a flu or a cold most of the time and the methadone dose seems to hold me much less amount of time so it feels like you're getting sick much earlier than you would otherwise

They give me one shot of Interferon per week as well as taking 6 Ribavirin tablets every day

I'm expecting another blood test to come back soon , but apparently the last test about a month ago has showed avery rapid drop in the viral load so they tell me i'm doing pretty damn good in terms of responding to it

Sorry for waffling on about mytself here, i just want to say that if you or someone close to you is worried about Hep c - get tested and start treatment which seems to work quite rapidly for most peope that are getting treatment, like in my own case for example - i responded to treatment quite early on
    Last edited by underide; 12-30-2010 at 02:17 PM.
    "All i gathered together is all i've lost..."

Occasionally Opiated chillbreh is fresh on the scene. chillbreh is fresh on the scene. chillbreh's Avatar

this person isnt gonna change for anyone not even them self think of it more on planning to have enough saved up in time for funeral arrangements lol
    positive thinking i see

Never Looked Back LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow is a name known to all LayinLow's Avatar

I have told my odd treatment story for my Hep C - Genotype 1a, but thought it was worth posting again. Found out about a year ago I had hep c. My liver function tests came back elevated, I shrugged it off due to many years of high APAP ingestion. My bupe doctor gave the original blood test, my primary care ordered the Hep panel, as well as thyroid tests. It was a shock in some regards, but have shared rigs three times in my life. Two were with friends I know were clean, cus I didn't get Hepc till the third time I shared. Late night, lots of drugs, with some guy I didn't know well... yeah, I know exactly when I got HCV.
    Fast forward to a few months ago, when I let my mom know about it. She wasn't TOO surprised either, knowing chunks of past abuse. She is a nurse practitioner with the Dept. of Corrections going on 36 years. She use to prescribe interferon and ribovirian to the inmate population, back when the state would pay for it. She saw the horrible side effects in her office daily, and often. The inmate population is close to 65-70% hep c +. She told me to go to the GI doctor and see what he says.
    The GI doctor was a no BS guy, and in no way sugarcoated my condition. He maybe talked to me 5 minutes. He said he would not offer treatment mainly due to my mental health - quote "you will most likely commit suicide during treatment". I have bi polar, social anxiety, and my mental health could be better for sure. This suicide line came out of his mouth like it was the weather he was telling me, didn't care what I had to say. My genotype is the hardest to treat, and after the chat with my NP mother, I didn't want it anyway. He could of let me feel a little better than crap walking out of his office, at least. Maybe he is right, my depression is deep and dark and adding those side effects to the equation might just make me snap? Who knows.
    ComputerDoc80--- You describe my 'sickness' from untreated Hep C perfectly. I am tired ALOT, and my body temp. is messed up. The tiredness wears on me, and I have been smoking amphetamines a lot more, to combat that. I rarely drink, and take no more APAP. Still IV.
    Hey, I did it to myself. Crappy, indeed. Hopefully I will still live a long healthy life. Thought I would share this odd, but interesting tale. I really do hope better treatments come out, and doctors don't 'look down' on us as I have seen, not bad, but noticeable.

talk to me like water running down a stream, i want to hear you say that dilly is water soluable again... it makes my panties moist layinL....

Never Looked Back OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude is a splendid one to behold OrangeLude's Avatar

^^^thanks for taking the time to tell again. much strength. here's to a good new one.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

everything I say is completely or mostly fiction and made up - basically the ramblings of an aging moron that has seen too much, felt too much & heard too much -
    See me, feel me, touch me....healing...slo 'n ez get's there.

OpioNoMo ka11ink is just really nice ka11ink is just really nice ka11ink is just really nice ka11ink is just really nice ka11ink is just really nice ka11ink is just really nice ka11ink is just really nice ka11ink is just really nice ka11ink is just really nice ka11ink is just really nice ka11ink is just really nice
    Right ther right ther (aka midcoast Maine)

Gl to all of you guys, I can't imagine having to take a drug that makes you feel like total shit in order to save your life. I've always had the mindset that if it doesn't make me feel good I aint gonna do it so it'd be weird eating a pill that causes those nasty fuckin side effects.

Never Looked Back underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide has much to be proud of underide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LayinLow View Post
    . I have bi polar, social anxiety, and my mental health could be better for sure. This suicide line came out of his mouth like it was the weather he was telling me, didn't care what I had to say. My genotype is the hardest to treat, and after the chat with my NP mother, I didn't want it anyway. He could of let me feel a little better than crap walking out of his office, at least. Maybe he is right, my depression is deep and dark and adding those side effects to the equation might just make me snap? Who knows.
    ComputerDoc80--- You describe my 'sickness' from untreated Hep C perfectly. I am tired ALOT, and my body temp. is messed up. The tiredness wears on me, and I have been smoking amphetamines a lot more, to combat that. I rarely drink, and take no more APAP. Still IV.
    Hey, I did it to myself. Crappy, indeed. Hopefully I will still live a long healthy life. Thought I would share this odd, but interesting tale. I really do hope better treatments come out, and doctors don't 'look down' on us as I have seen, not bad, but noticeable.
    that's odd that he would say that, layinlow
    I have bipolar and my mental heath is not in the best of shape which is known to all staff at my cinic and still, as soon as they found out that i'm hepC positive they offered me treatment
    I don't understand why he would turn you away without even trying

these sickness symptoms youre describing were also somewhat similar to mine prior to taking treatment, as soon as i got interferon+ribavirin though, they seemed to worsen still, but after a few months on the treatment i'm feeling better than initially and while the side -efects still suck it's really not such a big of a deal as they might tell you or as i might've thought

Everybody responds differently to HepC treatment so if i were you i'd just find a different doctor and at least try it, but that's just my opinion

the treatment is very expensive over here so they ony offere it to people who are stable drugwise over here, and in my case it is covered by the clinic, so i'm pretty lucky in that regard

Anyway, i wish you the best with it whatever you decide to do

I have told my odd treatment story for my Hep C - Genotype 1a, but thought it was worth posting again. Found out about a year ago I had hep c. My liver function tests came back elevated, I shrugged it off due to many years of high APAP ingestion. My bupe doctor gave the original blood test, my primary care ordered the Hep panel, as well as thyroid tests. It was a shock in some regards, but have shared rigs three times in my life. Two were with friends I know were clean, cus I didn't get Hepc till the third time I shared. Late night, lots of drugs, with some guy I didn't know well... yeah, I know exactly when I got HCV.
    Fast forward to a few months ago, when I let my mom know about it. She wasn't TOO surprised either, knowing chunks of past abuse. She is a nurse practitioner with the Dept. of Corrections going on 36 years. She use to prescribe interferon and ribovirian to the inmate population, back when the state would pay for it. She saw the horrible side effects in her office daily, and often. The inmate population is close to 65-70% hep c +. She told me to go to the GI doctor and see what he says.
    The GI doctor was a no BS guy, and in no way sugarcoated my condition. He maybe talked to me 5 minutes. He said he would not offer treatment mainly due to my mental health - quote "you will most likely commit suicide during treatment". I have bi polar, social anxiety, and my mental health could be better for sure. This suicide line came out of his mouth like it was the weather he was telling me, didn't care what I had to say. My genotype is the hardest to treat, and after the chat with my NP mother, I didn't want it anyway. He could of let me feel a little better than crap walking out of his office, at least. Maybe he is right, my depression is deep and dark and adding those side effects to the equation might just make me snap? Who knows.
    Get another opinion, get another doctor and start treatment. Do dope, have sex, keep happy any way you can if it really bothers you ... do whatever it takes but just get treatment. That doctor is being irresponsible. I could be wrong but why risk it. Just stay on your meds.

Try to lay off the amphetamines, they can be immunosuppresants but get treatment, either way. Fuck me, is that doctor being negligent or what ?
    "Shoot drugs not people"

^^that doctor might simply think that layinlow is unstable drugwise

that is the main reason that people don't get treatment over here - if you're still using for example, they won't start treatment untill you're giving clean samples, as the treatment is very expensive so they might see little point if someone is at risk of getting sick again after getting treatment

i'm not saying that's the case for layinglow, but this is policy here
    LL - Are you stil dabbling with the gear or drinking??

Quote Originally Posted by underide View Post

that is the main reason that people don't get treatment over here - if you're still using for example, they won't start treatment untill you're giving clean samples, as the treatment is very expensive so they might see little point if someone is at risk of getting sick again after getting treatment

Well, over here they say you can use all you want just as long as you get treatment.

Why would it matter ? Are you going to risk your liver/life because you get the blues ?

I'd rather be alive with a drug problem than dead.

Just saying ... ... no affence or actual sarcasm intended. I just don't get it.
    "Shoot drugs not people"

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Well, over here they say you can use all you want just as long as you get treatment.

Why would it matter ? Are you going to risk your liver/life because you get the blues ?

I'd rather be alive with a drug problem than dead.

Just saying ... ... no affence or actual sarcasm intended. I just don't get it.
    no what they mean by "not ready for treatment" is that, say you are stil using gear, they are afraid that you're still prone to being re-contaminated with the virus again as it does happen
    i.e - they're afraid you're still using spikes and sharing
    and in the case that you're still drinking the treatment wouldn't be as effective obviously

do you know what the nurse that is dispensing the interferon shots said to me? she basically told me that each shot costs around 800 euro!! now that's expensive

whether she was telling the truth or not i'm not entirely sure, but one thing i do believe here, the treatment costs an awful load of money and they don't like seeing it all going to waste, i guess

me - i've been a good boy in terms of stopping all amphetamine use and heroin use, even though i still occasionally use benzo's and zopiclone - but they have patients prescribed these drugs on the treatment anyway so i guess that's not so bad

so far i've been sticking to the treatment cause i really want to get rid of this sneaky virus and thankfully in my case it seems to have positive results already (lowered viral load)

but i totally agree with you in that LL should get treatment if he's stable and just get to see another doctor if the one he talked to is not reciprocating

no what they mean by "not ready for treatment" is that, say you are stil using gear, they are afraid that you're still prone to being re-contaminated with the virus again as it does happen
    i.e - they're afraid you're still using spikes and sharing
    and in the case that you're still drinking the treatment wouldn't be as effective obviously

do you know what the nurse that is dispensing the interferon shots said to me? she basically told me that each shot costs around 800 euro!! now that's expensive

whether she was telling the truth or not i'm not entirely sure, but one thing i do believe here, the treatment costs an awful load of money and they don't like seeing it all going to waste, i guess

me - i've been a good boy in terms of stopping all amphetamine use and heroin use, even though i still occasionally use benzo's and zopiclone - but they have patients prescribed these drugs on the treatment anyway so i guess that's not so bad

so far i've been sticking to the treatment cause i really want to get rid of this sneaky virus and thankfully in my case it seems to have positive results already (lowered viral load)

but i totally agree with you in that LL should get treatment if he's stable and just get to see another doctor if the one he talked to is not reciprocating
    That makes some sense but he's probably going to keep on using. One would hope he is less likely to pass on the virus IF he has been treated.

But I'm glad we agree. Fuck the expensive price tag (what is the value of a life ?). Good on you for sticking with the treament. Does your chemo include Ribavarin ?
    "Shoot drugs not people"

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    . Does your chemo include Ribavarin ?
    yeah, it's one SC shot of interferon per week and 6 ribavirin per day, every day - 3 in the morning and 3 at night
    i 'm really not fond of that ribavirin tbh- it keeps me awake and gives some nasty sideffects that are probably worse that the side-ffects from the interferon (nausea, muscle pain, etc)
    the interferon though is prone to give me high fevers (or it could be the combination)

but like i say - everyone reacts differently to treatment from what i know, i just seem to be unlucky to have the worst of the side-effects

yeah, it's one SC shot of interferon per week and 6 ribavirin per day, every day - 3 in the morning and 3 at night
    i 'm really not fond of that ribavirin tbh- it keeps me awake and gives some nasty sideffects that are probably worse that the side-ffects from the interferon (nausea, muscle pain, etc)
    the interferon though is prone to give me high fevers (or it could be the combination)

but like i say - everyone reacts differently to treatment from what i know, i just seem to be unlucky to have the worst of the side-effects
    Yes, but it works. I haven't known anyone to not get rid of HEP after treatment, if that helps ...

So many users have HEP; the majority, I believe >> Reminder: Be a selfish pig and DON'T share your injecting equipment.

Please keep me/us posted on your progress, viral load etc.
    "Shoot drugs not people"

thanks Chipper
    i'm sure i'll do grand

I know what you mean by being a sefish prick when it comes to not sharing your rigs
    problem in my case was that i was using way too many stims intravenously at one point to care to be safe, and that using period a bit more than a year ago is when i presume i contracted the HEP C.
    I feel lucky i didn't pick up HIV along with the HepC, now that would've been an eye opener for sure! but then i could do fuck all about it, right? So thank god HIV wasn't in one of those rigs i took

there were times i didn't give a fuck at all as long as i got some more 'speed' into my veins and i do remember being confused more than once as to which rigs were mine and which were someone else's
    I aways had it in mind to try my best to keep my works to myself but it turmned out i must've unwittingly used someone's rig

Plus - i remember sharing someone elses rig on at least 2 occasions which is when i presume i got the hep c

I'm lucky to live in a country where the treatment can be provided to me for no cost, otherwise i would've been stuck with the virus for sure and that's not a nice thought at all

thanks Chipper
    i'm sure i'll do grand

I know what you mean by being a sefish prick when it comes to not sharing your rigs
    problem in my case was that i was using way too many stims intravenously at one point to care to be safe, and that using period a bit more than a year ago is when i presume i contracted the HEP C.
    I feel lucky i didn't pick up HIV along with the HepC, now that would've been an eye opener for sure! but then i could do fuck all about it, right? So thank god HIV wasn't in one of those rigs i took

there were times i didn't give a fuck at all as long as i got some more 'speed' into my veins and i do remember being confused more than once as to which rigs were mine and which were someone else's
    I aways had it in mind to try my best to keep my works to myself but it turmned out i must've unwittingly used someone's rig

Plus - i remember sharing someone elses rig on at least 2 occasions which is when i presume i got the hep c

I'm lucky to live in a country where the treatment can be provided to me for no cost, otherwise i would've been stuck with the virus for sure and that's not a nice thought at all
    I have to agree that once you're on a speed run, it gets very messy, eventually. You get scattered, your immune system is compromised and you lose shit all the time. It's the worst drug (apart from benzos, maybe) for getting careless and confused.

You really want to choose your drug buddies really carefully in the speed scene. So much paranoia, suspicion, shady and fucked up people. Not as well equiped for the IV game as opiate users. Not the same wealth of experience and knowledge to draw from. That's where opiate users have it over amphetamine users.

I'm convinced that a lot of HEP gets passed along by IV speed users. As much as I love the drug, it has a lot to answer for.

Best of health to you, my friend.
    "Shoot drugs not people"

Me? Unstable - drug wise?! You could maybe say that I drink maybe 4-5 beers/month, so I just about quit drinking. I am fairly stable on bupe, but still love my dilaudid IV binges. Then you could say I use speed around 3-4 days a week, smoked & IV. IV speed use has a stigma with my buddies and I don't IV around them. Small benzo dose daily @ 1mg clonazepam.
    This doctor knew NOTHING about my drug use though, aside from the fact that he probably assumed how I got the virus. Drinking or my drug use was not factored in to the reason(s) he didn't want treatment for me. Mental health was the major player... along with being 27 years old I imagine, hoping I'm young and healthy enough to clear it myself. To be honest, I respected his choice not to treat me. If I feel things getting worse, I'll get the enzymes checked, and get another doctor's opinion.
    Love reading your posts on the subject underide & chipper
    Have a healthy new year friends.

Opiophile Moderator SeVeN has disabled reputation SeVeN's Avatar

for the sake of argument lets say the person this is being asked about for has no intentions of changing their lifestyle,
    Then for the sake of argument Id say they might very well die a VERY PAINFUL death.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I just put my Uncle into the hospital 2 days ago for HEP-C and the problems related to it.

He, like SWIM, didn't seek medical help, drank heavily for years and did drugs. He is litteraly swolen up to almost 300 lbs. This isn't fat mind you. Its bloat and is very painful. He's semi lucid and forgets/doesn't know all sorts of things.

Hep C is the worst to have, but by managing it, and most importantly STOPPING drinking, tylenol etc, swim could be looking at a much better life, and life expectancy.

Even if the life expectancy werent to improve that much, the quality of life thing needs to be a serious issue. Having a fucked up Liver is very bad, and I onl have to watch, I dont experience it.

So I guesse to wrap it up, please stop anything like tylenol and alcohol, and seek treatment, ITS WORTH IT!!
    Tiocfaidh ar la

Trust No One

“It is one of the great joys of home ownership to fire a pistol in one's own bedroom”
    ― Alfred Jarry

“People who boast about their IQ’s are losers.” Stephen Hawking

Never Looked Back Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint's Avatar

I just read in the newspaper that a new drug (company MSD and Vertex) is hitting the market next year, it's called 'telaprevir'. You still need to combine it with interferon but treatment time is shorter and succesrates are supposedly higher.
    Maybe many of you have heard of it already but it seems interesting:

All Phase 3 studies met their primary endpoints and results below are from the treatment arms where telaprevir was started immediately in combination with pegylated-interferon and ribavirin for the first 12 weeks of treatment.
    In people with hepatitis C who were new to treatment (treatment-naïve):

Up to 75% achieved a viral cure with telaprevir-based combination therapy, compared to 44% of people who received pegylated-interferon and ribavirin alone;
    A majority (58% in ADVANCE and 65% in ILLUMINATE) were eligible to reduce their treatment time by half – from 48 weeks to 24 weeks; and
    Data showed there was no benefit to extending total treatment from 24 weeks to 48 weeks in people whose virus was undetectable at weeks 4 and 12 with telaprevir-based therapy.

In the three major subgroups of people with hepatitis C who had not achieved a viral cure with a prior course of treatment (treatment-experienced):
    83% of prior relapsers, 59% of prior partial responders and 29% of prior null responders achieved a viral cure with telaprevir-based combination therapy compared to 24%, 15%, and 5% of people in these subgroups, respectively, who received pegylated-interferon and ribavirin alone. These results were achieved with a simultaneous start of all three drugs for the first 12 weeks followed by pegylated-interferon and ribavirin alone for an additional 36 weeks.

The safety and tolerability results of telaprevir-based combination therapy were consistent across the Phase 3 studies. The most common adverse events regardless of treatment arm were rash, fatigue, pruritis, headache, nausea, anemia, insomnia, diarrhea, flu-like symptoms and pyrexia, with the majority being mild or moderate in severity.
    Last edited by Saint; 01-01-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Opiophile Tony is one bad motherfucker Tony is one bad motherfucker Tony is one bad motherfucker Tony is one bad motherfucker Tony is one bad motherfucker Tony is one bad motherfucker Tony is one bad motherfucker Tony is one bad motherfucker Tony is one bad motherfucker Tony is one bad motherfucker Tony is one bad motherfucker Tony's Avatar

To the OP,

I personally have had Hep C for 25 years. I drank ( binging mostly ) for
    approx 10 years and took Dexedrine and Adderall for about 5 years.

I recently had my 15th year of not drinking a drop of booze. Also no
    speed or stims for 10 years.

It is my opinion that I would be dead if I had not stopped both the drinking
    and the stim use. It is not only my opinion. My liver Dr. tells me that the ones
    he sees that die early are the ones that drink and tweak.

I still am paying for the years I did drink. I am a CP and take Morphine daily.
    I failed the treatment do to bad side effects. I had a temp of 104F both times I
    did the shots.

For what it is worth and this is a big deal to me, if I could change anything I would
    have put all my efforts into stopping the drinking and the stim use sooner. I believe
    it equates to close to one for one at least. I mean that for every year one drinks after
    testing positive, you will cut your life at least one year for every year of hurting your
    liver. I am no Dr. and I for sure am no fucking judge or brick thrower. I just got lucky
    as far as being able to stop the drinking. The stims got so bad I was self harming by
    scratching my arms. I have been labeled OCD and ADHD. Kissing cousins to Bi-polar?

Anyway, good luck to you. I would join an internet group for folks that have HCV and
    you will learn quickly that especially the drinking can kill you quickly, That being said it
    was almost imposable for me to quit.

Peace and all the best!

deeper you go,higher you fly
    PLATINUM MEMBER
    Spikey has a spectacular aura about Spikey has a spectacular aura about Spikey has a spectacular aura about Spikey has a spectacular aura about Spikey has a spectacular aura about Spikey has a spectacular aura about

I too have hep C with the genome that responds to treatment in only 40% of the cases. I also have other health issues that treatment would make WORSE and could actually kill me. So for now my doctor does not want to treat me because the odds are not in my favor.

I'm not all that concerned anymore. I've had hep C since the 70's (thought I had hep B at the time), I don't drink & I have blood tests & have had 2 liver biopsies. My doc & I are keeping an eye on it.

My point was it's not always in your best interest to have treatment, it varies greatly with the individual.

Opiophorum Member Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80 is a jewel in the rough Computerdoc80's Avatar

I also have genotype 1a, interferon was a total waste. My viral load was higher when I was finished with it.
    I try to stick to opiates with little or no APAP. Right now I'm on fentanyl 75. My pain Dr. wont prescribe anything with oxycodone, but will give me the Fentanyl patches. Odd. H also prescribed Opana ER, but I couldn't afford $350 a month for them.
    I wonder if we process drugs differently when we have Hep C?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast