Advertise on Opiophile
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tamper resistant Opana

Junky Opiofreq has a spectacular aura about Opiofreq has a spectacular aura about Opiofreq has a spectacular aura about Opiofreq has a spectacular aura about Opiofreq has a spectacular aura about Opiofreq has a spectacular aura about Opiofreq's Avatar

Default Tamper resistant Opana

Endo Pharma climbs on analyst's Opana ER comment
    (AP) – 6 days ago
    NEW YORK — Shares of Endo Pharmaceuticals Holdings Inc. jumped Wednesday after an analyst said Endo can keep generic versions of its painkiller Opana ER from being approved, which would sustain sales until Endo starts selling a new version.
    THE SPARK: Jefferies & Co. analyst Corey Davis said rival Purdue Pharma LP started selling a new version of its pain drug OxyContin last week. He said Purdue withdrew the regulatory application on the older version, which prevents generics of that version from being approved. Earlier this month, Endo said it filed for regulatory approval of a tamper-resistant version of Opana ER. Davis said Endo may copy Purdue, keeping competing versions of the old form of Opana ER from getting approved.
    Once generic versions of a drug reach the market, sales of the older brand-name drugs drop off because of greater competition and lower prices.
    THE BIG PICTURE: Purdue, Endo, and other companies have been developing new versions of opiate-based pain drugs that are harder to abuse. Purdue's OxyContin is designed to gradually release its medication, but in the older version, the time-release element could be defeated if the drug was crushed or dissolved. That allowed users to get the full dose all at once.
    THE ANALYSIS: Davis said the Food and Drug Administration wants to curtail abuse of opioid painkiller so it does not want to approve generic versions of the older, more abuse-prone drugs. He now believes Endo could keep generic version of Opana off the market for years, with annual sales of Opana rising to $800 million more than double his prior estimate of $300 million.
    Davis kept a "Buy" rating on shares of the Chadds Ford, Pa., company, and raised his price target to $44 from $29.
    SHARE ACTION: In afternoon trading Endo shares rose $2.52, or 9.6 percent, to $28.66. Earlier the stock rose to $28.95, which was its highest price since November 2007.
    You know it's been on my mind
    Could I stand right here
    Look myself in the eye and say
    That it's over now
    We pay our debt sometime
    -Alice in Chains

True Opiophile Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon's Avatar

Default Re: Tamper resistant Opana

I know this kind of thing is inevitable, but I also know junkies are very resourceful people. Hell, just putting the pill in a glass of water, maybe slightly acidic water (i.e., lemon juice, vinegar, etc.) should defeat the time factor. I mean, if I understand correctly, they're coming / came out with new versions of Opana ER and OxyContin that aren't as easy to abuse, meaning non crushable or no good to use if crushed.

Why not just put the pills in a glass of room-temp water that's maybe slightly acidic to mimic the conditions of the stomach, and then just wait for the 12 or 24 hours or whatever until most / all the drug seeps out into the water, then either drink the water or evaporate it to get a snortable powder, etc.

I just think this is bad. Firstly, like I said, addicts are very resourceful, and WILL find a way around this and other abuse prevention methods. I mean, even if you're an IV addict and your main ROA is only IV, wouldn't you still take a big gulp of this liquid or snort a line of this powder that had been extracted via the cup of water? I would.

If it's anything like the OROS system that Concerta uses, which involves osmotic pressure to release part of the drug quickly, then another part slowly over the course of the day, I can see this as being defeated. It just takes patience and time.

I can see why they'd make, or try to make, a resistant form of Opana or Oxy that can't be tampered with, but I do think it's never going to be 100% effective. I mean, say you take one of these new OC's and just chew the pills. It may not release as much as the old generics / Purdue Brand did, but it's bound to release more than it's supposed to.

I just see this being yet another challenge for pill heads to overcome. Kind of the like the Rubix Cube of our generation.
    Taceant colloquia; effugiat risus.
    Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

Never Looked Back Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow's Avatar

IMO its all a ploy to obtain an unfair advantage in the "Patent / Regulatory Approval Process". They claim they have a superior product from a standpoint of abuse liability and that the competitor's product should NOT receive approval for distribution as a generic form of their product.

Not sure if I explained my opinion in a clear manner, but what I mean is its an attack on competitor products where they use the gov. to stop competitors from introducing generics.

By adding the "abuse deterrent" to their product, an actual generic can not be produced due to their patent protection, so if you get a script for "Oxycontin" no competitor has a product that can be substituted for the NEW Oxycontin.

I take OPANA and it already IMO has a large variable in how much is absorbed depending on what you have eaten. I hope this change does NOT make Opana even less reliable in its performance.

Stopping people from injecting it is a mute point for me (I eat the tablets whole) but I don't want them to screw the product up.

Also I had to quit taking the Instant Release due to how much it costs (with v. good prescription insurance its $90 for a 30 day supply).

I WISH my doctor would let me take 8 OPANA IR tablets of 10 mg. each as the IR are very reliable in the way my body absorbs them -- much more reliable than time release I take now. I ALMOST had my pain doctor talked in to that last month and he weasled out by claiming my ins. may not pay for that many tablets.

Will

Occasionally Opiated Rae has a spectacular aura about Rae has a spectacular aura about Rae has a spectacular aura about Rae has a spectacular aura about Rae has a spectacular aura about Rae has a spectacular aura about Rae's Avatar

Yes, I am very interested to see how chronic pain patients respond to the new formulations. If memory serves, there was a highly anticipated "tamper proof" fent patch (not the mylans, it was something else) that was expected to solve both problems: the chronic pain AND the potential for abuse. But, CP patients were suffering. The drug simply didn't deliver enough relief. So all of the money spent, all of the hype, and all of the promises died down fairly quickly. I'm curious to see how the new OC delivers for pain relief.

I'm especially curious what will happen if they try it with the CPers on Opana. We already deal with a low B.A. Most of us do what we have to do to get by. But putting an increased barrier around the medication...I just can't see it going well.

There are a significant number of patients who report varied levels of relief on any given dose.
    That's not really the response a drugmaker wants out there about their miracle pills

Time will tell. Most of the chronic pain patients I'm close to are already weary, just exhausted from the neverending obstacle course we have to push through just to get the correct DOSAGE. I have a feeling at least one of these new "tamper proof" designs will be met with the same level of outcry I remember from those patches (what the hell were those called? Google isn't helping)
    "Finish every day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."
    -Emerson

Occasionally Opiated Aces N 8s will become famous soon enough Aces N 8s will become famous soon enough Aces N 8s will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Yes, I am very interested to see how chronic pain patients respond to the new formulations. If memory serves, there was a highly anticipated "tamper proof" fent patch (not the mylans, it was something else) that was expected to solve both problems: the chronic pain AND the potential for abuse. But, CP patients were suffering. The drug simply didn't deliver enough relief. So all of the money spent, all of the hype, and all of the promises died down fairly quickly. I'm curious to see how the new OC delivers for pain relief.

I'm especially curious what will happen if they try it with the CPers on Opana. We already deal with a low B.A. Most of us do what we have to do to get by. But putting an increased barrier around the medication...I just can't see it going well.

There are a significant number of patients who report varied levels of relief on any given dose.
    That's not really the response a drugmaker wants out there about their miracle pills

Time will tell. Most of the chronic pain patients I'm close to are already weary, just exhausted from the neverending obstacle course we have to push through just to get the correct DOSAGE. I have a feeling at least one of these new "tamper proof" designs will be met with the same level of outcry I remember from those patches (what the hell were those called? Google isn't helping)

Are you thinking of the TEVA brand patches maybe? To my knowledge those are the newest ones on the market and they are entirely designed around preventing abuse. They kind of look like nicotine patches.

Also, I think this is a painfully obvious move to prevent other companies from making generics since the TIMERx is already a fairly good abuse prevention method. So all they are going to do is slightly modify their current anti-abuse method in order to renew their patent and fuck over all us cp patients so we have to pay out the ass for their brand name shit for another 10 years.

+ Reply to Thread