Codeine methylbromide

Advertise on Opiophile
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Codeine methylbromide

Never Looked Back Paregoric Kid has much to be proud of Paregoric Kid has much to be proud of Paregoric Kid has much to be proud of Paregoric Kid has much to be proud of Paregoric Kid has much to be proud of Paregoric Kid has much to be proud of Paregoric Kid has much to be proud of Paregoric Kid has much to be proud of Paregoric Kid has much to be proud of Paregoric Kid has much to be proud of Paregoric Kid has much to be proud of Paregoric Kid's Avatar

Default Codeine methylbromide

can someone inform me as to what is so special about codeine methylbromide? is it just a different salt of codeine or is it an analog of codeine? its also known as eucodin. its schedule I in the US.
    "The magnitude of pleasure reaches its limit in the removal of all pain. When such pleasure is present, so long as it is uninterrupted, there is no pain either of body or of mind or of both together." -Epicurus
    The Sick Life | OpioWiki |
    http://lp.org http://www.campaignforliberty.com/

Opiophile panda is just really nice panda is just really nice panda is just really nice panda is just really nice panda is just really nice panda is just really nice panda is just really nice panda is just really nice panda is just really nice panda is just really nice panda is just really nice panda's Avatar

Default Re: Codeine methylbromide

good question!

i was reading about this drug on wiki, and didn't quite understand the strength.

your nizzle dizzle is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) dizzle is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) dizzle is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) dizzle is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) dizzle is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) dizzle is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) dizzle is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) dizzle is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) dizzle is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) dizzle is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) dizzle is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) dizzle's Avatar

Boro, you have anything on this one? I have seen it listed explicitly in DEA lists of Sch I but what is the deal with it. Can't find ANY information on it.

Never Looked Back Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear's Avatar
    South East, UK about 1 hour out from London.

There's an article about codeine methylbromide on wikipedia. It's a molecule of codeine that's salted with a molecule of bromomethane. This is similar to codeine hydrochloride, codeine sulphate, codeine phosphate, etc. It's the codeine part that has the effect, the acid part gets stripped off and left behind in the blood, only codeine freebase gets absorbed into the brain. So in essence it doesn't matter what acid is used on the codeine, as an equal number of codeine hydrochloride molecules will be the same potency as an equal number of codeine phosphate, codeine sulphate or codeine methylbromide molecules.

However, bromomethane is very toxic in very small amounts, so according to the wikipedia page on bromomethane, if you consume codeine methylbromide you most likely get: "nausea, abdominal pain, weakness, confusion, pulmonary edema, and seizures. Individuals who survive the acute phase often require a prolonged convalescence. Persistent neurological deficits such as asthenia, cognitive impairment, optical atrophy, and paresthesia are frequently present after moderate to severe poisoning."

When they wrote up the drug laws they had to include all the posssible salts, otherwise they'd get into conflicts where some is selling codeine sulphate or codeine acetate to the public, and they could claim that it wasn't illegal because only codeine phosphate and codeine hydrochloride were written up in the laws. So that's why they included codeine methylbromide in the drug laws, even though it's not a safe drug to take.

The UK Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 doesn't list every possible salt, but they ban all possible salts by including a clause where they mention a drug and then say, "Any salt of a substance for the time being specified in any of paragraphs 1 to 3 above."

OpioNoMo borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker borohydride is one bad motherfucker

It's a quaternary salt so it isn't freebased by the body to any extent - the toxicity of bromomethane doesn't enter into it.

It will act on peripheral opioid receptors like those in the gut (to slow things down), but since pKa is vitally important in BBB penetration, it won't pass into the brain. That is, it's only peripherally active.

If it's easier to get where you are, it's pretty simple to dequaternize it to an active drug...

Never Looked Back Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear has much to be proud of Woody Bear's Avatar
    South East, UK about 1 hour out from London.

Hey Borohydride, what you said about methyl bromide turning codeine into a quaternary salt interested me, so I did some reading about it, and what I found is exactly as you say. Quaternary salts are permanently charged, so they don't cross the blood brain barrier, and when methyl bromide bonds with codeine, the methyl group adds to the nitrogen on the codeine, and gives it a fourth carbon, and it's that fourth carbon which turns that nitrogen into being a quaternary salt.

I found a link: "Atropine and atropine methyl bromide effects on behavior of rats" where they salted atropine with methyl bromide and gave it to rats, the rats got severely impaired performance (= fucked up) from atropine, but didn't get fucked up from atropine methyl bromide, due to it not being able to cross the blood brain barrier. But then when they injected atropine methyl bromide directly into the rats brains, then they got fucked up from it.

That's interesting, and I never knew that. I assumed that methyl bromide (CH3Br) salted codeine would be much the same as hydrobromide (HBr) salted codeine, but it's that extra methyl group that the methyl bromide has but that HBr lacks, that makes such a huge difference.

DXM.HBr is psychoactive, because the DXM splits off from the HBr and crosses the blood brain barrier, so I assumed that DXM (or Codeine) salted with CH3Br would also be able to disassociate and cross the blood brain barrier, but it can't because quaternary salts are permanently charged, and the blood brain barrier exists to keep charged ions and molecules in the blood, so that's why alkaloids salted with methyl bromide can't cross the blood brain barrier.

+ Reply to Thread