Advertise on Opiophile
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting Rid of a Nasty Bruise

Jr. Opiophile Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora's Avatar

Getting Rid of a Nasty Bruise

Hey All-

So, I don't IV and never have. I do however, donate plasma on a regular basis. Last time I went the girl who was sticking me missed and just kept digging around in my arm. It's been all swollen and painful the last few days. This morning I woke up and there are all these dark purple bruises all around the area. It is so dark that it looks like someone drew on my arm with a dark purple permanent marker. I will try to post a picture when I have access to a camera later today. It is HORRIBLE though...

It looks really bad, and I don't want people thinking something (that I use IV drugs) at work or something. Aside from just wearing long sleeves, what can I do to get the bruise to go away as quickly as possible?

Also, with such an alarming-looking bruise, should I be concerned?

Thanks guys!

-Pandora
    Taste the Rainbow

Jr. Opiophile Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora is a glorious beacon of light Pandora's Avatar

Default Re: Getting Rid of a Nasty Bruise

Here's the pics I promsed...I put my cell phone next to my arm in one of them just to give you an idea of how big and insane the bruise is. Really, I've never seen anything like it.

The pics are taken with a cell phone camera. so the quality is not the best, but you'll still get the idea.

Any ideas what may have caused something crazy like this? It's weird too because the bruise is more to the side and they stuck me right in the middle of my arm.
    Attached Images
    Taste the Rainbow

Junky PrisonHer is just really nice PrisonHer is just really nice PrisonHer is just really nice PrisonHer is just really nice PrisonHer is just really nice PrisonHer is just really nice PrisonHer is just really nice PrisonHer is just really nice PrisonHer is just really nice PrisonHer is just really nice PrisonHer's Avatar

holy fuck. that's real bad..I've been shooting a long time and never had a bruise even close to that. My ex old man shot me up in the femoral once and it bruised like fuck but not even close to that. wow. nuts..I don't know what to tell you except I wouldn't let that stupid cunt poke me again.
    Most people don't know how they're gonna feel from one moment to the next. But a dope fiend has a pretty good idea. All you gotta do is look at the labels on the little bottles. ~Bob~

Opiophile mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string's Avatar

i think only time will take care of that. cover up might help too. i think once a vein is punctured the blood escapes and settles at the surface, that's what causes bruising. it traveled and spread from the initial puncture to where it finally settled right under the skin. thats why its not localized.

in the meantime a good excuse might be that you were target shooting with a compound bow and the bow string caught your arm a couple times.

SORRY: just read that again. i just assumed you were shooting dope. you dont need my excuse....
    I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.
    -Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by PrisonHer View Post
    holy fuck. that's real bad..I've been shooting a long time and never had a bruise even close to that. My ex old man shot me up in the femoral once and it bruised like fuck but not even close to that. wow. nuts..I don't know what to tell you except I wouldn't let that stupid cunt poke me again.
    Yeah, isn't that crazy? I've never seen anything like it either. And I really don't bruise easily at all, I rarely get bruises even if I smack into someting pretty hard.

I'm planning on calling the blood bank tomorrow and telling them all about the stupid bitch that stuck me. What happened was that she poked me and missed, so she just kept digging around in my arm for a good 2 minutes at least. Like, to me, if you missed and you still haven't gotten it, chances are you're not going to. So she kept wiggling it around and finally it looked like she got it. The blood started flowing through the machine and the little canister started filling up, but then it just stopped. IDK if it infiltrated or what. When you donate plasma, it goes through about 10 cycles where a little container spins the blood and the red blood cells separate from the plasma and filters into a little bottle. The person who pokes you is supposed to stand there and watch to make sure that everything's running properly. After this stupid bitch had to much trouble finding a vein, she didn't even stand there to watch it even for a second, she just walked away and was talking on her phone, wasn't even paying attention when she was poking me.

So then they called the manager over, who is probably the best phlebotomist there, and she looked at it and freaked out. It was all swollen and crazy looking. So she had to take that needle out and stick me in the other arm for me to get finished. And this was all for a measly $20.00.

I plan on calling the center manager tomorrow and telling them exactly what happened and getting her stupid ass fired, or at least in trouble. Her job isn't that hard, all she does is poke people all day. She shouldn't be allowed to do that to people if she can't even focus for 2 minutes to find a vein and make sure everything's running properly. She could really hurt someone.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey5string View Post
    i think only time will take care of that. cover up might help too. i think once a vein is punctured the blood escapes and settles at the surface, that's what causes bruising. it traveled and spread from the initial puncture to where it finally settled right under the skin. thats why its not localized.

in the meantime a good excuse might be that you were target shooting with a compound bow and the bow string caught your arm a couple times.

SORRY: just read that again. i just assumed you were shooting dope. you dont need my excuse....
    Yeah, I"ve never used a needle in my life. Maybe the one benefit to this situation is I am now pretty sure that I will NEVER EVER used a needle on myself either, because I'm permanantly traumatized haha.

It sucks, because I don't want people thinking something that isn't true. Not to mention if my work saw it and got suspicious and they DID drug test me, I'd piss dirty even though that's not what the marks are from (I'm addicted to sniffing my DOC_.
    Taste the Rainbow

Opiophile taj has much to be proud of taj has much to be proud of taj has much to be proud of taj has much to be proud of taj has much to be proud of taj has much to be proud of taj has much to be proud of taj has much to be proud of taj has much to be proud of taj has much to be proud of taj has much to be proud of taj's Avatar

Whoa!!!!!(i even said that out loud when I saw it) that is crazy!! I've never seen anything like it. I'm sorry I don't have any advice, but I hope you heal quickly.
    Amazing isn't it? The stupidity that gets you through the day"
    -JL
    I'm Johnny Depp Beotch... -stringbeanjeans

Departed Opiophile poonwhalla is one bad motherfucker poonwhalla is one bad motherfucker poonwhalla is one bad motherfucker poonwhalla is one bad motherfucker poonwhalla is one bad motherfucker poonwhalla is one bad motherfucker poonwhalla is one bad motherfucker poonwhalla is one bad motherfucker poonwhalla is one bad motherfucker poonwhalla is one bad motherfucker poonwhalla is one bad motherfucker poonwhalla's Avatar

The blood hack probably tore up some veins or arteries and the blood had nowhere to go but under your skin. I broke my elbow once and all the blood from torn veins bruised the inside of my arm and it looked just like that. It took around a week to a week and a half for it to dissipate for me. Unfortunately I don't have any tricks to make it go away faster. The only thing that helped me was massaging the blood away from the crook of my elbow and rinsing it in hot water.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLORarkOliveGreen] According to astronomy, when you wish upon a star you're actually a few million years late. The star is dead just like your dreams.
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Jr. Opiophile kellyblue is a glorious beacon of light kellyblue is a glorious beacon of light kellyblue is a glorious beacon of light kellyblue is a glorious beacon of light kellyblue is a glorious beacon of light kellyblue is a glorious beacon of light kellyblue is a glorious beacon of light kellyblue is a glorious beacon of light kellyblue is a glorious beacon of light kellyblue is a glorious beacon of light kellyblue is a glorious beacon of light kellyblue's Avatar

Default Re: Getting Rid of a Nasty Bruise- sorry so long!

Holy Crap! I'd kill the bitch... dig around HER arm for about an hour with a pencil lead! You poor thing!

I don't have much advice about the bruise... I don't IV either, but have had WAY too many hospital and lab (as well as plasma) needles poked at me... and I don't give it up easily. I ALWAYS tell them that they can stab me as many times as they need to, but the minute they start "digging", I'm kicking them. One lab tech didn't believe me. I think HIS bruise was bigger than mine, LOL!

You need to go back to the Plasma clinic while it still looks like this, and raise hell. Let them know that your boss accused you of IV drug use, and that other people were asking questions as well... so what if you're lying? Get that bitch fired!

I've used alternating heat/ice packs on my bruises, both for pain control and to help heal the veins and keep the blood flowing so the bruise will dissapate. Not sure it's the correct "medical" thing to do but it always seems to work for me.

Good luck girl, I hope that thing heals quick! Mine always go from "that" to the dark blue/black for a couple days, then fade to nasty green... so you may be in for a week or two of "color". As for the boss, either tell them they don't pay you enough and you have to supplement at the Plasma Clinic (Maybe you'll get a raise, LOL!) or tell them you had a drunk lab tech...

Or hell- tell them you're contagious and need a week off... with a bruise like that they shouldn't even question it!

Good luck and let us know what happens at the clinic...

OH- one note of warning, and silly as it sounds, I'm dead serious. With that much "damage", PLEASE be aware of any "lumps", large or small, that may pop up in or around the bruised area.

I had a fairly mild bruise from a day on the quads, and about a week later noticed a small bump under the skin. I happened to be at the doc for a refill, and asked her about it. Wasn't worried, just wondered what it was. She freaked out and immediatly got an UltraSound of the whole bruised area. Turns out I had 3 blood clots that the bruising had caused. She watched them for about a month- and when one of them refused to disolve on it's own, I had to spend the night in the hospital after they ran a catheter into the vein to dissolve the clot. Doc was worried about it busting loose and "traveling".

So-don't freak out but do please keep an eye on it. The clot would just feel like a marble under the skin... mine "rolled" around if I touched them, and were a little painful to the touch. Don't mean to scare you, but it could happen, and if it does, you need to at least let your doc know so they can keep an eye on it.
    ~K~

Default Re: Getting Rid of a Nasty Bruise- sorry so long!

Quote Originally Posted by kellyblue View Post
    Holy Crap! I'd kill the bitch... dig around HER arm for about an hour with a pencil lead! You poor thing!

I don't have much advice about the bruise... I don't IV either, but have had WAY too many hospital and lab (as well as plasma) needles poked at me... and I don't give it up easily. I ALWAYS tell them that they can stab me as many times as they need to, but the minute they start "digging", I'm kicking them. One lab tech didn't believe me. I think HIS bruise was bigger than mine, LOL!

You need to go back to the Plasma clinic while it still looks like this, and raise hell. Let them know that your boss accused you of IV drug use, and that other people were asking questions as well... so what if you're lying? Get that bitch fired!

I've used alternating heat/ice packs on my bruises, both for pain control and to help heal the veins and keep the blood flowing so the bruise will dissapate. Not sure it's the correct "medical" thing to do but it always seems to work for me.

Good luck girl, I hope that thing heals quick! Mine always go from "that" to the dark blue/black for a couple days, then fade to nasty green... so you may be in for a week or two of "color". As for the boss, either tell them they don't pay you enough and you have to supplement at the Plasma Clinic (Maybe you'll get a raise, LOL!) or tell them you had a drunk lab tech...

Or hell- tell them you're contagious and need a week off... with a bruise like that they shouldn't even question it!

Good luck and let us know what happens at the clinic...

OH- one note of warning, and silly as it sounds, I'm dead serious. With that much "damage", PLEASE be aware of any "lumps", large or small, that may pop up in or around the bruised area.

I had a fairly mild bruise from a day on the quads, and about a week later noticed a small bump under the skin. I happened to be at the doc for a refill, and asked her about it. Wasn't worried, just wondered what it was. She freaked out and immediatly got an UltraSound of the whole bruised area. Turns out I had 3 blood clots that the bruising had caused. She watched them for about a month- and when one of them refused to disolve on it's own, I had to spend the night in the hospital after they ran a catheter into the vein to dissolve the clot. Doc was worried about it busting loose and "traveling".

So-don't freak out but do please keep an eye on it. The clot would just feel like a marble under the skin... mine "rolled" around if I touched them, and were a little painful to the touch. Don't mean to scare you, but it could happen, and if it does, you need to at least let your doc know so they can keep an eye on it.
    Yeah, I definitely do want to get that stupid bitch fired. Another time I was there she was hooking up my machine and her cell phone rang and she just walked away without saying a word into the break room and I had to sit there for 15 minutes until someone else finally came and got me all hooked up. I saw her come out of the locker room another like 15 minutes later and then she just went and sat down on one of the empty donor chairs and starting chatting it up with her co workers.

They don't pay me nearly enough per donation to put up with that bullshit! Haha. I'm going to call tomorrow and see what happens. My guess is they'll want me to come in and see the nurse to have her look at it.

Thanks for the advice about the clots, too. I went over to visit at my dad's place tonight and his wife is a nurse so I had her take a look at it. She basically told me exactly what you did. Ice for the first 48-72 hours (or until the swelling goes down) and then alternate hot and cold 20 minutes on 20 minutes off. She mentioned the clots too and just recommended warm compresses and making sure to use the arm and exercise it to keep the blood flowing.
    Taste the Rainbow

Opiophile God_Albino is a glorious beacon of light God_Albino is a glorious beacon of light God_Albino is a glorious beacon of light God_Albino is a glorious beacon of light God_Albino is a glorious beacon of light God_Albino is a glorious beacon of light God_Albino is a glorious beacon of light God_Albino is a glorious beacon of light God_Albino is a glorious beacon of light God_Albino is a glorious beacon of light God_Albino is a glorious beacon of light

when i was in rehab as a youngin i had to take all these shitty blood tests and the senile old bitch stuck me no less than 12-13 times (i was counting) and probing like a motherfucker before getting a nurse who got it in one stick. it was like she was taking out years of junkie-hatin' on me.

why do they let retards like that take blood? if you suck at something, get someone who doesn't. my condolences man thats fucking horrific. my arms were yellow/green/purple/red pretty much all summer.
    So you wanna build an altar on a summer night
    Wanna smoke the gel off a fentanyl patch
    Ain't you heard the news? Adam and Eve were jews
    I always loved you to the max

-silver jews-

Occasionally Opiated soggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to get some standard blood work done as part of my annual physical.
    My right arm has some scarring on it from some past IV dope use and I swear the nurse pegged me as a junkie and made the experience as painful and prolonged as possible.

The bruises she left me with were way worse than any I have experienced in the past shooting on my own.

Unbelievable.

Soggy

Health Professional candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy's Avatar

Hey Pandora,
    I am sorry you have to deal with this nasty bruise and it does look bad. This type of bruising you see is not uncommon and I am wondering if after they removed the needle they had you bend your arm at the elbow as is commonly down after drawing blood or with giving blood. Bending your arm like this can actually lead to more blood seeping into the tissues. I was just wondering because I have seen this after someone has had blood drawn, etc. and asked to keep arm bent at the elbow, which can cause the kind of bruising you have.
    No one should have been digging around for a vein for two minutes. That not only can cause broken capillaries, but can cause tissue damage and increased bruising at the site.

Here are some tips to help heal that bruise faster.
    Applying heat to the area can help by increasing circulation to the area and cause the blood to be absorbed much quicker. You can use a heating pad if you have one to do this, but be careful not to burn yourself and only leave on for 20 minutes at a time. Do this several times a day. If you don't have a heating pad, you can use a warm compress or buy a microwavable heating pad sold at drug stores for pretty cheap or make your own by placing a wet wash cloth or small hand towel in the microwave. Heat for a few minutes and put the wet hot towel in a ziploc bag and cover the bag with a thin towel to prevent burning your skin. These usually stay warm for about 15-20 minutes, which is enough time and is a cheaper alternative to buying something.

Arnica oil or cream will work too. Arnica helps to reduce bruising. It is a herbal product and sold in most stores that sell herbal supplements and vitamins. It should not be too hard to find and is pretty cheap and it has always helped me to heal marks and bruising much faster.

These are just some suggestions that I recommend and think will help to heal and fade that bruising.

Hope it helps and that you have better luck next time with someone more competent

Junky lotus is a glorious beacon of light lotus is a glorious beacon of light lotus is a glorious beacon of light lotus is a glorious beacon of light lotus is a glorious beacon of light lotus is a glorious beacon of light lotus is a glorious beacon of light lotus is a glorious beacon of light lotus is a glorious beacon of light lotus is a glorious beacon of light lotus is a glorious beacon of light

was there any reason she may have thought it was for drugs (sorry, i know it's a sensitive thing) - they are fukin cunts when it comes to that.

it took closer to 3 years for my tracks to not only heal, but.........start to......i dunno.....for that dark sort of black look that follows veins - to go away.

every time i had to give blood (mdone clinic does annual 6 month hiv/hep c tests - thank god they now do them on site), it was a nightmare, and the assholes would jam those fukkers into what look'd like the worst spot on the worst arm. and i know they didn't have to - a few were nice, and went into totally virgin looking areas.

fuk them, everytime. do call that place and shred 'em a new arsehole.....that is unreal. goddamn, i can't believe they made you sit thru that??????
    TURN OFF YOUR TELEVISION SET - YOU'RE BEGINNING TO BELIEVE THE ILLUSION

New Opiophile kyzmet is an unknown quantity at this point kyzmet's Avatar

It's probably too late for those bruises you have, but here's a remedy that's great for me and my boyfriend. If you make some up now, you'll have pleanty to keep around for future misshaps. Go any grocery store, farmer's market, herbalist, etc. that has a good supply of dried herbs for medicinal use. Look for dried arnica. It's a flower that most natural/green/organic stores should have. You just need a few pinches of the stuff. Mash it up in any kind of oil that's good for the skin; olive, grapeseed, almond, vitE, whatever. I put it in a jar that's just about 5 inches tall, and then fill jar up with more oil. If you only have abigger mason jar, just get more arnica. It's cheap, a few pinches is less that a dollar. Now set the jar out in the morning and evening sun, for one or two days. (You can let it sit for longer than this, the longer the better.) After it has sit and the oil has absorbed the arnica, just rub it on the bruise often. It's go away much quicker. Usually by the time the bruise has started to turn yellow, it will be gone by the next day. You can add other stuff to the oil, too. Mint, vitamin E, lavendar, etc, all help soothe skin & muscle. Anyway, it's cheap, easy, and it works. You can by balms and oils already prepared with arnica, but they'll cost you at least $15.

+ Reply to Thread