Advertise on Opiophile
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oxycodone and heartburn/reflux/indigestion

QUEEN B MODERATOR roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust's Avatar

Default Oxycodone and heartburn/reflux/indigestion

Hey all, as of lately everytime I take one of my Oxycodone 30mg I seem to get heartburn/reflux/indigestion. Like this morning I took my morning dose, I always swallow my pills excpet on very rare occassions, and within about 45 minutes I got a burning feeling/lump in my throat. I have been experiencing this for several months but wasn't 100% certain it was my pain meds but after keeping a close tab on it this month, I have decided it is my pain meds. Anyone else experience this?

..... found that when it got *really* bad, I'd cop, and fuck all that detoxing, whether I'm eating carrots and brown rice, or vodka and cough drops, I've learned only one sure thing about detoxing:
    There Ain't No Free Lunch!.......Originally posted by Duckfeet

Opiophorum Member oxyjon is fresh on the scene. oxyjon is fresh on the scene. oxyjon's Avatar

Default Re: Oxycodone and heartburn/reflux/indigestion

I used to have this problem years ago when I first started taking them. Now, every once in a while I get heartburn off my normal dose of oxycoone ir. My significant other also complains of heartburn from them time to time. I do know that it is definately the pills that cause it in my case because it is not like normal heartburn I get from foods. I always figured it happens because of the same reason a non tolerant takes them and throws up all night. These are strong pills on our stomachs. I dont know.

Never Looked Back OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing's Avatar

I used to get whats sounds like the same damn thing every time when I first started at the 'done clinic.

Someone told me what it was called, I cant think of the word right now (its too early), it was like audjita(thats not how you spell it, It sounds something like that), or something like that.

I will try to find it online.

I am not saying thats what you have roxi, but maybe, or something similar.

Have you tried any acid reducers or anything like that? You could get some tagamet and kill two birds with one stone, ya know?

Let me know what you find out Roxi, Im really interested in this. I know we arent the only three that have had this problem...I can think of loads right of the top of my head...
    "Its better to burn out than to fade away" - Neil Young

QUEEN B MODERATOR roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oxyjon View Post
    I used to have this problem years ago when I first started taking them. Now, every once in a while I get heartburn off my normal dose of oxycoone ir. My significant other also complains of heartburn from them time to time. I do know that it is definately the pills that cause it in my case because it is not like normal heartburn I get from foods. I always figured it happens because of the same reason a non tolerant takes them and throws up all night. These are strong pills on our stomachs. I dont know.
    Exactly Oxyjon, it's not the normal type of heartburn. It's like a lump, tightness, hard to swallow, burning, indigestion feeling. Rolaids Plus seem to help somewhat. I was prescribed Prilosec and took it everyday for months then once I stopped I noticed this problem. I know it's the Oxycodone IR, as the only time I get it is after dosing.

..... found that when it got *really* bad, I'd cop, and fuck all that detoxing, whether I'm eating carrots and brown rice, or vodka and cough drops, I've learned only one sure thing about detoxing:

Opiophile mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string is a name known to all mikey5string's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OxiContinKing View Post
    I
    Someone told me what it was called, I cant think of the word right now (its too early), it was like audjita(thats not how you spell it, It sounds something like that), or something like that.

agita is just and italian-american word for heartburn/sour stomach.
    Last edited by RxQueen; 03-29-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: fix quote
    I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.
    -Mitch Hedberg

Never Looked Back OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikey5string View Post
    agita is just and italian-american word for heartburn/sour stomach.
    That was it...

Awesome, thanks man.

Obviously, I dont think that is what we are talking about in this thread, but atleast now I know what that word is (I always hate when my girl or a friend said something about it, I was always dumb-founded, and didnt want to look like an idiot and ask...).

Thanks Mikey.
    Last edited by Brony; 03-30-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: fixed quote

So OxiKing, do you still get reflux/heartburn from your 'Done dose or did it subside after you were on it a while? I've been on pain meds for a few years and have been on Oxycodone for the past 2-3 years so I'm not new to it. I did get my meds increased about 6 months ago from 4X to 6X a day, even though I usually don't take it 6X because I'm usually asleep and miss that nightly dose. So I usually take it 4-5X a day, sometimes I do wake up and take the 6th dose. Maybe it's the increase? I'm hoping it goes away eventually. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by roxi*stardust View Post
    So OxiKing, do you still get reflux/heartburn from your 'Done dose or did it subside after you were on it a while? I've been on pain meds for a few years and have been on Oxycodone for the past 2-3 years so I'm not new to it. I did get my meds increased about 6 months ago from 4X to 6X a day, even though I usually don't take it 6X because I'm usually asleep and miss that nightly dose. So I usually take it 4-5X a day, sometimes I do wake up and take the 6th dose. Maybe it's the increase? I'm hoping it goes away eventually. Anyone else?
    It subsided after awhile, I'd say about 3 months after I started. I still get some bad cases of it though, occasionally (I'd say maybe once a month), but I never thought much about it when it was happening. I will pay special attention next time it comes around though, that way maybe I can isolate some variables and try and figure out what is going on...

I am taking tagamet daily before I dose though (just started doing that about 2 weeks ago), so maybe that will continue to prevent it?

I dont know, but I will let you guys know anything I find out.

You said mainly you swallow your pills, so is this a daily thing for you roxi?

HRH The Princess Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon is cooler than ice Narkotikon's Avatar

This is interesting.

My uncle had some type of back surgery about a month ago. He's got to be in his late-70's or even 80. I'm not exactly sure because I don't have much contact with my extended family. Anyway, when my mother has talked to her sister (his wife), she's said that ever since the surgery he's had a lump in his throat and especially hiccups where he can't sleep at night. I have no idea what type of pain medication he was given, but since it was post-operative I'm assuming Percs or some type of oxy formulation.

Anyway, my mother's sister is very high-strung, and has been calling their GP doctor and the surgeon multiple times a week (I think because she's scared that since he's so old, that he's just not going to recover, and will eventually just die). I have no real idea what the surgery was, but from what my mother said it had something to do with nerves, where they fused them or desensitized them or something like that lessening his pain. That's probably not accurate though I'm sure.

Anyway, my aunt's been calling their doctors concerned about the "lump in his throat" and his hiccups. I think they prescribed something for the hiccups, and it didn't work, so they prescribed something else, and it's not working apparently. I asked my mother what they gave him, because my aunt told her. I think the first thing was probably Librium from what my mother said, although she mispronounced / muddled chlordiazepoxide. The second thing was probably Klonopin, because my mother it was some type of sleeping pill that started with a "C." Who knows though. I kind of find it disturbing that I want to know what meds my family / extended family is taking.

I just thought this was interesting because if he did receive oxycodone in some sort, then this might be the cause of why he can't sleep (the trouble with his throat / the hiccups).

As for me, I've not taken oxycodone in any form in years, but when I did I don't remember getting any stomach problems. In fact, ever since I became dependent on opiates and have been using to remain well, not so much now but when I have been sick in the past, I've noticed that the opiates (usually tea / morphine) calm my stomach down. Even if I'm not really truly sick, my stomach is usually a bit nauseated, especially if I drink caffeine. It just makes me dry-heave. As soon as I drink the tea, it's like drinking Mylanta or taking a Tums or something. Totally calms my stomach down.

I think it's interesting also how when you first take opiates, they usually cause nausea and can make people vomit, and then once you need them to function, they make the nausea go away when you use.
    Taceant colloquia; effugiat risus.
    Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

Opiophile pizzaboy has a spectacular aura about pizzaboy has a spectacular aura about pizzaboy has a spectacular aura about pizzaboy has a spectacular aura about pizzaboy has a spectacular aura about pizzaboy has a spectacular aura about pizzaboy's Avatar

I had a bad case of acid reflux pop up a few months back when I was using heavily. I was afraid to fall asleep there for a while. I've suffered from infrequent heartburn most of my adult life, but the acid reflux was totally new.

Since I've been mostly clean, nothing. I don't know if the reflux was related to opioid use, but given this thread it now seems likely.

deeper you go,higher you fly
    PLATINUM MEMBER
    Spikey has a spectacular aura about Spikey has a spectacular aura about Spikey has a spectacular aura about Spikey has a spectacular aura about Spikey has a spectacular aura about Spikey has a spectacular aura about

This thread just shocked me, I have this problem but did not tie it to my pain medication. The lump in my throat started awhile ago & the burning but my problem is mainly at night. After I go to sleep, the burning comes up my throat and wakes me. I can't lie down, I can't sleep, it's horrible.

I'm RX'd Nexium & Zantac, there was also a 3rd liquid but I can't remember it & stopped taking it. NONE of this stuff worked & I was beside myself trying to figure it out. I finally found something that helps me on the internet--VINEGAR!

I get Bragg's vinegar "with the mother" and take several tablespoons, maybe 1/4 cup with a little bit of water & some honey every night, it's been like a miracle! I've even stopped taking the zantac.

I'd be very interested to see if this helps you Roxi. I thought I was doomed to never sleep lying down again.

Spikey

Thanks Spikey, I'll have to look into that. Sometimes it's so bad if I bend over to pick up something acid comes up into my throat and mouth. That also happens when I lay down if it happens to be bad that day. I am a CP patient an need to take my meds daily, I'm hoping for some relief from the pain with the warm weather and I'm going to try Accupuncture, so maybe I'll be able to cut back on my meds. I guess for now I'll keep taking Rolaids/Zantac. A friend of mine has a wicked bad case of reflx, so bad that it has messed up her esophagus, she also is on pain meds, I'm going to have to ask her if they make it worse.

PLATINUM MEMBER
    Spikey has a spectacular aura about Spikey has a spectacular aura about Spikey has a spectacular aura about Spikey has a spectacular aura about Spikey has a spectacular aura about Spikey has a spectacular aura about

I'm a cp patient as well & have already had them put the scope down my throat several times trying to figure out what was going on with my esophagus & stomach. My GI doc didn't know what else to do with me because I'm already on huge doses of nexium & zantac & it wasn't working.

I told him about the vinegar & he's kinda surprised but said that he was okay with it. I'm telling you it's like a miracle cure or something, please let your friend know about it.

Try googling "reflux vinegar" or something similar, there are many people with this issue. Not sure if its from the pain meds or what, but as long as it goes away--who cares?

Spikey

Never Looked Back Suboxstitute is a splendid one to behold Suboxstitute is a splendid one to behold Suboxstitute is a splendid one to behold Suboxstitute is a splendid one to behold Suboxstitute is a splendid one to behold Suboxstitute is a splendid one to behold Suboxstitute is a splendid one to behold Suboxstitute is a splendid one to behold Suboxstitute is a splendid one to behold Suboxstitute is a splendid one to behold Suboxstitute is a splendid one to behold Suboxstitute's Avatar

I have (had) the same problem with opiates and now with bupe; well I guess that's an opiate too. Mine was so bad I thought I was having a heart attack; pain was right in the middle of my chest upper sterum I would say more accurately.

Routine, never fails for me:
    1. The second the burning feeling starts, drink a nice long drink of warm NOT cold water.
    2. Take one zyrtec (OTC) tablet.
    3. Take one or two tablespoons of Maalox (gotta be cherry for me hate chalky taste of regular)
    4. Lay down if you can, laying on your side cluched to a pillow works for me (obviously not easy if you are not at home).
    Sometimes the pain seems unbearable. But knowing it will subside in 10-15 minutes always helps.

Just in case this helps someone. And I always have zyrtec sp? (which used to be prescription only) and chewable maaxlow or mylanta pills with me. But that glass of warm water is really important at least for me.
    -------------------------
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
    Jiddu Krishnumrti

Opiophorum Member TheJuggla1207 is a jewel in the rough TheJuggla1207 is a jewel in the rough TheJuggla1207 is a jewel in the rough TheJuggla1207 is a jewel in the rough TheJuggla1207 is a jewel in the rough TheJuggla1207 is a jewel in the rough TheJuggla1207 is a jewel in the rough TheJuggla1207's Avatar

hey roxi i havent read any of the replies or anything besides your original post but i wanted to comment and say that i get the same thing too, but not everytime.

i have acid reflux because of the amount of carbinated (sp?) beverages i used to drink and still drink in a day (i.e. soda, iced tead, energy drinks). but yea the burnin in the chest and throat and lump in the throat does happend to me when i does some oxy, but like i said its maybe 25% of the time. its weird and annoyin at the same time. i also have a peptic ulcer so im prescribed omiprazole for it and it seems to take care of the acide reflux shit as well.
    "I met this six year old child with this blind, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes, the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized that what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply evil.." - Dr. Loomis (Halloween)

Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggla1207 View Post
    hey roxi i havent read any of the replies or anything besides your original post but i wanted to comment and say that i get the same thing too, but not everytime.

i have acid reflux because of the amount of carbinated (sp?) beverages i used to drink and still drink in a day (i.e. soda, iced tead, energy drinks). but yea the burnin in the chest and throat and lump in the throat does happend to me when i does some oxy, but like i said its maybe 25% of the time. its weird and annoyin at the same time. i also have a peptic ulcer so im prescribed omiprazole for it and it seems to take care of the acide reflux shit as well.
    I drink alot of carbonated beverages too. Does seems to make it worse. Maybe I'll get back on the Prilosec and cut down on the carbonation. Thanks for the info everyone.

Opiophorum Member TheJuggla1207 is a jewel in the rough TheJuggla1207 is a jewel in the rough TheJuggla1207 is a jewel in the rough TheJuggla1207 is a jewel in the rough TheJuggla1207 is a jewel in the rough TheJuggla1207 is a jewel in the rough TheJuggla1207 is a jewel in the rough TheJuggla1207's Avatar

I drink alot of carbonated beverages too. Does seems to make it worse. Maybe I'll get back on the Prilosec and cut down on the carbonation. Thanks for the info everyone.
    yea im pretty sure it does, especially iced tea. there is this drink that is sold by a drive through supermarket type thing called swiss farms around here called "tea cooler" which is a mix of lemonade and iced tea and i used to drink like a gallon a day for a year and after that i started gettin the acid reflux and whatnot. and my doc said the big cause of my acid reflux and ulcer is all the soda and ice tea and tea cooler i drink mixed with the amount of cigs i smoke a day (pack and a half to 2 packs a day) so thats why he prescribed me omeprazole 30mg capsukes that u take twice a day and now the only time i feel the acid reflux or my stomach issues is when i run out of the omeprazole and havent gotten a refill or forgot to take it that day and then i take some oxy
    "I met this six year old child with this blind, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes, the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized that what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply evil.." - Dr. Loomis (Halloween)

Opiophile digby has much to be proud of digby has much to be proud of digby has much to be proud of digby has much to be proud of digby has much to be proud of digby has much to be proud of digby has much to be proud of digby has much to be proud of digby has much to be proud of digby has much to be proud of digby has much to be proud of digby's Avatar

People that have this condition chronically (it is called GIRD, I think short for GastroIntestinal Reflux Disease) have been helped primarily by Prilosec or similar drugs. Antacids usually don't work because they don't address the actual problem.

I have noticed a similar problem when I reached my maximum dosage as my tolerance grew. I think it has to do more with the shutting down of the gut rather than just the oxy being hard on the stomach lining, although both may come into play. It just seemed that as my tolerance grew, so did all my digestive/constipation issues. More drug equals more side effect, at least that is the way it played out for me. I just finished tapering down on my dosage and the digestive problems have gone away. I expect they will return as I get closer to taking larger amounts of oxy once again.
    "You must respect the chemistry."

Opiophile Moderator SeVeN has disabled reputation SeVeN's Avatar

Yeh babe. No more carbonation for a while. I use to recognize a true pill headd by one fact.......They took hteir pills with whole milk. Not sayin you are one , But try out milk with your pills. Especially if its first thing in the morning. I Garauntee it will make a difference. Good luck babe:cool:
    Tiocfaidh ar la

Trust No One

It is one of the great joys of home ownership to fire a pistol in one's own bedroom
    ― Alfred Jarry

People who boast about their IQs are losers. Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeN View Post
    Yeh babe. No more carbonation for a while. I use to recognize a true pill headd by one fact.......They took hteir pills with whole milk. Not sayin you are one , But try out milk with your pills. Especially if its first thing in the morning. I Garauntee it will make a difference. Good luck babe:cool:
    I absolutely HATE milk! Never drink it. I was one of the lucky kids in school who got juice with their lunch rather than milk because of allergies and stomach stomach problems. Milk is gross

I absolutely HATE milk! Never drink it. I was one of the lucky kids in school who got juice with their lunch rather than milk because of allergies and stomach stomach problems. Milk is gross
    OMG I go through a gallon of milk a day!!

My girl is lactose intolerant, you guys have no idea what your missing!!

Opiophorum Member oxyjon is fresh on the scene. oxyjon is fresh on the scene. oxyjon's Avatar

Funny this topic is on the board. I took a nap this evening and when I woke up I did a dose as usual. Now I am having this heartburn. I havent eaten anything since dinner so I know it is from the roxi's. It just happens from time to time. I got the lump in my throat and all. I just thought I'd share this with you all.

And OCKing, I know what you mean about the milk. I go through a gallon a day too. That stuff does a body good.
    Last edited by oxyjon; 03-28-2009 at 11:26 PM. Reason: milk

Quote Originally Posted by OxiContinKing View Post
    OMG I go through a gallon of milk a day!!

My girl is lactose intolerant, you guys have no idea what your missing!!

Quote Originally Posted by oxyjon View Post
    Funny this topic is on the board. I took a nap this evening and when I woke up I did a dose as usual. Now I am having this heartburn. I havent eaten anything since dinner so I know it is from the roxi's. It just happens from time to time. I got the lump in my throat and all. I just thought I'd share this with you all.

And OCKing, I know what you mean about the milk. I go through a gallon a day too. That stuff does a body good.
    Yuk! It must be a guy thing because I bitch at my SO all the time for drinking all the milk so damn fast. He drinks like a gallon a day if I don't say something.

im with you roxi i cant stand drinkin milk. i only like it with my cereal or in a milkshake. my girlfriend loves drinkin milk she has it every morning, she pours herself a glass while im popping open a can of pepsi or dr. pepper in the morning and we give each other these weird looks, im like "ew how can u drink milk its nasty" and she turns around and is like "u drinkin soda in the mornin dont say ew to me".

Yuk! It must be a guy thing because I bitch at my SO all the time for drinking all the milk so damn fast. He drinks like a gallon a day if I don't say something.
    Thank god the grocery store right up the road from me has gallons of milk on sale for just under 3 bucks (thats all white milk, and chocolate milk, too). That allows me to keep my fridge stocked. Right now I have one gallon of white milk, and two full gallons of chocolate milk in the fridge.

Like we were taking about in a different thread, I tend to have stomach problems more often than not (not the acid problems, but I have other issues with my tummy) and milk seems to coat my stomach and allow me to function without wanting to reach in a rip out my stomach on any given day.

GOT MILK?

Occasionally Opiated LaLa is an unknown quantity at this point

Roxi.. I am with you.. Milk is gross. We are the only only beings on Earth that drinks anothers babys food. I find that disturbing.. Not to mention what those poor cows go through to produce it.

I get this from time to time when I do a larger amount of oxy than normal in a short peroid of time. I get a burning feeling right in the center of my chest, generally Tums helps. And drinking some water.

PLATINUM MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by LaLa View Post
    Roxi.. I am with you.. Milk is gross. We are the only only beings on Earth that drinks anothers babys food. I find that disturbing.. Not to mention what those poor cows go through to produce it.
    I'm with you LaLa, who on earth started this? Drinking milk from a cow? And yet the idea of breast milk would disgust the same people, makes no sense.

I like soy milk.

Occasionally Opiated LaLa is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    I'm with you LaLa, who on earth started this? Drinking milk from a cow? And yet the idea of breast milk would disgust the same people, makes no sense.

I like soy milk.

Me likey some vanilla soy... with cinnamon toast crunch... Mmmmm... think I'll have some now in fact

Never Looked Back Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow has much to be proud of Restharrow's Avatar

Hey Roxie,

I have had reflux off and on since taking pain meds (many years ago). For a while, I slept with my bed elevated slightly. I put about 4 inches of wood under the legs of the head of bead, plus put a "wedge" shaped pillow made for reflux or back problems. I bought the "wedge" at the Healthy Back Store (now out of business in my town but probably online). Hope thats not considered "sourcing".

The OTC Med. that helps the most is Gaviscon (otc). They change the formulas on this otc stuff a lot. What I take is Aluminum Hydroxide 160 mg. plus Magnesium Carbonate 105 mg. It used to be called Malox Plus. You have to look at the ingredients on the bottle -- they keep changing names and formulas.

Sounds like u have something similar to what I get - its off and on.

The food that helps the most is Dannon Vanilla Yogurt.

Will

Opiophorum Member jack-a-roe will become famous soon enough jack-a-roe will become famous soon enough jack-a-roe will become famous soon enough jack-a-roe will become famous soon enough jack-a-roe will become famous soon enough jack-a-roe's Avatar

Roxi
    SWIM gets bad heart burn after he insuffulates oxycontinand yes swim sometimes smokes oc and that gives him bad bad heartburn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast