Advertise on Opiophile
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: INCREASING THE EFFECTS OF METHADONE

Never Looked Back OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing's Avatar

Default INCREASING THE EFFECTS OF METHADONE

I forget what thread it was in, and who it was posted by, but someone had said, for whatever reason or another, that taking tagamet wont affect methadone. (I've looked for the thread and the post for quite some time now, and I cant find it for the life of me.)

After doing research, and taking 2-200mg tagamet pills this morning before going to the clinic, I can say that there is definaltey a noticable difference.

I'm not trying to call anyone out, or correct anyone, I am wrong all the time, I just want to let people know that taking tagamet before dosing can increase the effects of methadone. That post had me believing that tagamet wouldnt do anything to increase the effects. Just wanted to correct that.
    "Its better to burn out than to fade away" - Neil Young

Opiophorum Member oxyjon is fresh on the scene. oxyjon is fresh on the scene. oxyjon's Avatar

Default Re: INCREASING THE EFFECTS OF METHADONE

I agree, I get the pills prescribed and I find that tagamet works. And eating a grapefruit increases the effects of done for me too.

Never Looked Back OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing is a glorious beacon of light OxiContinKing's Avatar

tomorrow i might try doubling up on some grapefruit juice and tagamet and see how that does.

interesting.

Opiophorum Member stick+lick will become famous soon enough stick+lick will become famous soon enough stick+lick will become famous soon enough stick+lick's Avatar

You'll find using tagament makes your dose wear off quicker too, though. So it's a give and take. It does help increase the effects if you don't have your full dose (for whatever reason) and need to make the most out of what you got.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure tagament works to speed up the metabolism of methadone. SO you get more flooding your system at once, but once it's gone, it's gone.

I tried to take tagament regularly for horrid GERD (basically GERD is pathological heartburn)...but I found it only increased the sedation effects of methadone and left me sick by morning. I hate sedation/drowsiness--I liked getting high because it gave me energy, made me want to screw like crazy and my house was always clean....increasing methadones effects in an attempt to get high always just made me feel like I took a few too many xanax and needed a ten hour nap. Not really the "state o'mind" I liked to be in-lol!

Junky opiobsessed will become famous soon enough opiobsessed will become famous soon enough opiobsessed will become famous soon enough opiobsessed will become famous soon enough opiobsessed will become famous soon enough opiobsessed's Avatar

I'm prescribed prevacid 30mg tabs for my acid reflux, they are prescribed only, strange you dissolve em in your mouth like subs and swallow the liquid. However I have not noticed any better effects from my methadone on these pills, I'm on 200mg methadone daily one time at the clinic.
    Junk is a way of life, a means to be able to live life to its fullest enjoyment.

It did seem like this morning when I woke up I didnt feel too good, I felt like the very begining stages of w/d were creeping up. I dont know if this was because of the tagamet, or something else. I took 2 more tagamet pills this morning before I went to get my dose, but I am not sure that I took them in time. I got up, showered/dressed myself, took the tagamet, and then headed to the clinic. The clinic is only about 5 miles away from my house, so Im guessing that the tagamet had been taken about 10 mintues before I took my dose, I'm not sure if the pills even started disolving yet at this point in time.

Would anyone else care to elaborate on whether or not taking tagamet will speed up the metabolism rate of the methadone? Also, I always take my methadone on an empty stomach (besides the past 2 days, only thing that I consumed was the tagamet), and I dont like to eat until a couple of hours after I dose. I am afraid to lose what little buzz I do get. I know with some medications, eating will give them 'legs' (make them last longer), is methadone like this? Should I eat before I take my dose in the morning? Or is taking it on an empty stomach (like I've been doing) the best way to maximize the effects? Not saying that I dont believe you stick+lick, I would just like to see if anyone else has information that could be valuable in this discussion.

P.S. My dose finally started kicking in. YAY!!!!

QUEEN B MODERATOR roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by opiobsessed View Post
    I'm prescribed prevacid 30mg tabs for my acid reflux, they are prescribed only, strange you dissolve em in your mouth like subs and swallow the liquid. However I have not noticed any better effects from my methadone on these pills, I'm on 200mg methadone daily one time at the clinic.
    Prevacid and Tagamet, while are both for acid reflux, do not work the same therfore do not have the same drug to drug interactions with opiates or benzos. Prevacid is a proton pump inhibitor and Tagamet is an H2 (histamine) antagonist, they work totally differently. Tagamet is used as a potentiator because it increases the blood levels of certain drugs by reducing their elimination by the liver in the same way that grapefruit juice does.

To answer the above question. Tagamet will not cause an increase in the metabolism or elimination of Methadone, if anything it will reduce the elimination of it causing an increase in the amount in your blood. Although in chronic opiate users the body tends to adjust to this interaction and your are unlikely to really experience any real increase in the levels in your blood or effects from your daily Methadone dose. Food should have no effect on the elimination or absorption of Methadone.

..... found that when it got *really* bad, I'd cop, and fuck all that detoxing, whether I'm eating carrots and brown rice, or vodka and cough drops, I've learned only one sure thing about detoxing:
    There Ain't No Free Lunch!.......Originally posted by Duckfeet

Occasionally Opiated Methabenzocet is fresh on the scene. Methabenzocet is fresh on the scene. Methabenzocet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by opiobsessed View Post
    ive been on prevacid for 5 years and never ever noticed a difference wen i take my methadone
    ~:biggrin:Kiki~

+ Reply to Thread