Advertise on Opiophile
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long does it take to kick in...Methadone

OpioNoMo Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz's Avatar

Default How long does it take to kick in...Methadone

Coz of the recent tradgic passing of our friend and brother maybe it would be a good idea to get some kinda info up on the board about methadone and its effects....

Eg, i have felt like i am clucking, but then 2 hrs later my methadone starts to work and i start to feel ok...If i wasnt aware of this possibillity, ya know, the late kick in,i woulda probably taken some more.
    Lucky i have my missus as a restraining influence and she tells me to wait a bit.....And sure enuff, i get ok a couple hrs later....
    But if i didnt have her voice in my ear tellin me to wait, well ya know......

If all this info is already around and not relevant, then someone hit delete.....If it is a worthy topic,in light of the passing of our dear friend scott, i would welcome all the info there is about dis shit....

Never Looked Back RxQueen is one bad motherfucker RxQueen is one bad motherfucker RxQueen is one bad motherfucker RxQueen is one bad motherfucker RxQueen is one bad motherfucker RxQueen is one bad motherfucker RxQueen is one bad motherfucker RxQueen is one bad motherfucker RxQueen is one bad motherfucker RxQueen is one bad motherfucker RxQueen is one bad motherfucker RxQueen's Avatar

Default Re: How long does it take to kick in...Methadone

this is probably a good idea raz. i don't know the info myself, only that it's always longer than i think it should take when i do some. maybe one of our nurses or roxi could put something together with the actual facts, and then sticky this thread in the 'done forum.
    "On my gravestone, I want to say 'I told you I was sick.' Achievement is for senators and scholars. At one time I had ambitions but I had them removed by a doctor in Buffalo." ~Tom Waits

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else!

I hate people who think it's clever to take drugs -- like customs officials.

Opiophile SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph's Avatar

When on the the 'done I could feel it when I was walking out the door of the clinic and would become really talkative with the people there. When sick I'd find it could take anywhere from 30 min to an hour to get well and then it would really start kicking in at about the 1-2 hour mark.
    "Who lives longer? The man who takes heroin for two years and dies, or a man who lives on roast beef, water and potatoes 'till 95? One passes his 24 months in eternity. All the years of the beefeater are lived only in time."
    — Aldous Huxley

OpioNoMo DCBA is just really nice DCBA is just really nice DCBA is just really nice DCBA is just really nice DCBA is just really nice DCBA is just really nice DCBA is just really nice DCBA is just really nice DCBA's Avatar

For me it takes 6 hours to fully kick in. Specially in first days/weeks of MMT it took almost 4 hours so i could feel it like an opiate, but the withdrawn was sooner eliminated, like at 30 to 45 min it took care of WD.. I must remind that my tolerance was way high so that kinda messes with the time it takes to peak, i think.

Health Professional candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy's Avatar

But, remember for safety, those on Methadone Maintenance, or taking for pain management, or recreation daily, it builds up in the system and it's half life is up to 24 hours I have read longer.

I think it is important to understand that an overdose, whether intentional or unintentional does not always happen right away, especially when dealing with a drug like Methadone. While you might feel its effects in a few minutes or 15 minutes and some even up to an hour, respiratory arrest can happen hours later.

Surely, we all know that with a drug like heroin or Fentanyl, overdose can happen quite quickly, esp. if you are mixing drugs that are other respiratory depressants, but with Methadone it will not always be quick. The respiratory rate will continue to decrease until the heart stops or breathing stops and then one goes into cardiac arrest. And aspiration of vomit can cause drowning as well, if one is alone.

I know it all sounds so medical, but that is the way things can happen and I think it is important for us to all know.
    Esp. when you are using drugs like Methadone with such a long half life, it is important to know that when taking other medications with Methadone; Opiates, Benzos, barbituates, and alcohol, can all lead to respiratory arrest if taken in escess or mixed together.

So many have said this and it stands true: You can always do a bit more if you need it or want it, but you cannot take it away if you have done too much.
    If you don't know your own limit......Do a small dose and then increase in small doses.
    Don't try to do more than you are used to if your trying to impress maybe a new friend or someone you know who does more.
    For those of you who are younger, it can be hard to turn away something that someone has given us and if you have never done it or are unsure of the dose; don't do it....It's OK to say no.

And always, always, draw up your own shot(heroin). Never let someone else do it for you!

Be Safe!

Never Looked Back Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint's Avatar

Takes at least two hours to kick in in my case. But now that I've been using for over 6 weeks I hardly feel anything at all on 30 mgs. But 2 to 3 hours is certainly not unusual. It's good to make people aware of this.
    No more OD-s please.. the news of her Dek hit me like a ton of bricks.

OpioNoMo Narkotikon needs no introduction Narkotikon needs no introduction Narkotikon needs no introduction Narkotikon needs no introduction Narkotikon needs no introduction Narkotikon needs no introduction Narkotikon needs no introduction Narkotikon needs no introduction Narkotikon needs no introduction Narkotikon needs no introduction Narkotikon needs no introduction

I think it's variable with each person, but for me, I would start to feel it work after about an hour, then the full effects would kick in about 4 hours after I took my dose at the clinic. So, let's say for full effects 2-6 hours or something like that. It does take a long time, and I think that's a big reason people OD, especially people who have never taken methadone before. They think 1.) they can get high on it, and 2.) when they don't, they take more and more, not knowing that their first dose hasn't probably fully kicked in yet, so they double or tripple dose, and when it does finally kick in, they're fucked.

Another thing is it's very gradual. Methadone creeps up on you. It's not like one minute you're here and the next minute you're there. Like, I would start to feel it start to work after an hour, then the next three hours it would gradually creep up until about four hours after I initially dosed, it would start to work fully. But that's just me. I think everyone is different.

Edit: When doctors prescribe methadone for CP, is it as the main pain med, or for breakthrough pain, or both? If I had to guess, I would say it would be as the main pain med, because since it takes so long to kick in, I wouldn't think it would work very well as a b/t pain med.
    Last edited by Narkotikon; 11-13-2008 at 01:21 PM.

LIFETIME MEMBER Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet's Avatar

Takes me, usually--if I'm sick--about an hour or so, to start feeling better...and when I'm on maintenance--especially around 50mg daily, my fav dose--I wake up a little sick in the morning, hate life, etc...and go dose...and again, about an hr later, I start to get that lift again...real subtle, tho...I kind of have to sit quietly and drink coffee, and fuck around on Opiophile while it kicks in...then I'm pretty cheerful until evening, when I think "the lift" would wear off a bit...and I'd go to sleep, and in the morning, the same thing...

But the constipation, and lethargy, and hydrophobia, was just too much for me...

The reason I like methadone, really, is that mdone is just good enough to make me prefer it to kicking and the junky street life...and it's just bad enough to make me want to get off it after a while...perfect: subs aren't good enough...and heroin/dilaudid maintenance, I fear, would be a little too good...

I can trash methadone really well...and have...but honestly, it saved my life.
    "Junk is the ideal product...the ultimate merchandise...No sales talk necessary. The client will crawl through a sewer and beg to buy...The junk merchant does not sell his product to the consumer; he sells the consumer to his product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise. He degrades and simplifies the client. He pays his staff in junk."
    -- William S. Burroughs

Health Professional candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy is cooler than ice candy's Avatar

I can honestly say I have never even really felt any effects from the Methadone I have been taking. I started out at 40mgs, then up to 120mgs, then decreased down to 60mg over the past year. But, I have had extra take homes that I have taken at once and I sware, nothing!

It became that way when I was using heroin for the last time. I was using so much at one time and nothing. I quit out of shear necessity that my habit was more than I could afford anymore.
    Even now, Klonopins, and even other opiates, I cannot achieve even a slight buzz.
    I smoke weed, which is the only high I can enjoy anymore.

But, regardless, I still stand by the suggestion of do as I say, not do as I do!

Which means be careful to anyone messing around with opiates!

OpioNoMo pokergooch has a spectacular aura about pokergooch has a spectacular aura about pokergooch has a spectacular aura about pokergooch has a spectacular aura about pokergooch has a spectacular aura about pokergooch has a spectacular aura about

I can start feeling it about 1 hour after taking. The full effects hit me at about the 2-3 hr mark. I, too, have been tempted to take more because I thought it wasnt working quickly enough. This is probably why there are so many methadone od's. Be very careful with 'done. It can be a life saver or a life taker...

OpioNoMo Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz is one bad motherfucker Raz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pokergooch View Post
    I can start feeling it about 1 hour after taking. The full effects hit me at about the 2-3 hr mark. I, too, have been tempted to take more because I thought it wasnt working quickly enough. This is probably why there are so many methadone od's. Be very careful with 'done. It can be a life saver or a life taker...
    As we have found out to our cost and loss......

LIFETIME MEMBER Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Duckfeet's Avatar

Yep: methadone is good for what it is...trouble is we always want it to be *more* (like short acting, euphoria producing opys)...or *less* (and want to drink and pop a couple downers with it), so methadone gets a bad rap...it's not methadone's fault..the fault lies within us...
    "Junk is the ideal product...the ultimate merchandise...No sales talk necessary. The client will crawl through a sewer and beg to buy...The junk merchant does not sell his product to the consumer; he sells the consumer to his product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise. He degrades and simplifies the client. He pays his staff in junk."
    -- William S. Burroughs

+ Reply to Thread