Advertise on Opiophile
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: morphine beer

Opiophorum Member born2lose is an unknown quantity at this point born2lose's Avatar

Default morphine beer

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingn...nclick_check=1
    Santa Cruz home-brewer gets drug diversion for making poppy beer

Jennifer Squires - Sentinel Staff Writer
    Article Launched: 10/25/2008 01:33:58 AM PDT

A UC Santa Cruz graduate student accused of manufacturing opium when he made home-brewed poppy beer pleaded no contest to possessing heroin and was sentenced Friday to drug diversion.
    So long as Chad Renzelman, 28, stays out of trouble for the next 18 months, the drug conviction will be taken off his record, according to his attorney, Ben Rice of Santa Cruz.
    "I'm not going to jeopardize anything by breaking the law again," Renzelman said.
    Renzelman, a graduate student in organic chemistry, said he used "a handful" of dried poppy pods purchased on eBay to flavor a batch of home brew in August. He used a chemical process to extract opium from poppy plant pods, then converted the opium to morphine. He said he didn't know what he was doing was illegal.
    Renzelman was arrested Sept. 19 at his Santa Cruz home on suspicion of manufacturing and possessing opiates. Police said they found morphine-laced beer in the garage of his house on Bay Street. "I made beer for home consumption," Renzelman said. "It's not like I was trying to peddle heroin on the streets."
    Police said all along they suspected the poppies were being used in beer production, but that's still illegal. Officers were tipped off when a city recycling crew saw poppy pods in Renzelman's trash.
    He had faced seven years in state prison. "It was an appropriate resolution," Rice said, praising the way the District Attorney's Office handled the case.

"They could have pressed on and it would have been a waste of everyone's resources." As part of his sentence, Renzelman will have to pay for soil testing near his backyard compost pile -- where he dumped the spent grain from the poppy beer -- to make sure the area wasn't contaminated. He will also have to attend a drug class.
    "Everything turned out I guess for the better except for the thousands of dollars it cost me for brewing five gallons of beer," Renzelman said. "You start home brewing to attempt to reduce your beer costs not increase it exponentially."
    Renzelman said Friday he plans to get back to brewing beer as soon as police return the equipment they confiscated from his garage. Prior to his arrest, Renzelman and his friends had brewed a different flavor of beer, such as chocolate mint stout, every weekend.
    "I made whole bunch of beer and experimented with a lot of different additives," Renzelman said.
    During the Sept. 19 raid -- when Renzelman was arrested -- police also took about 40 gallons of homemade beer that wasn't the poppy brew, and Renzelman said he needs to start replenishing that supply. However, poppy beer is off the brew list. His first batch will be a smoked habanero lager.
    "It will be nice to start brewing again," Renzelman said. "Hopefully we won't get raided anymore for brewing it."
    Last edited by Synack; 10-31-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Removed ad due to copy/paste from yahoo

True Opiophile Indy is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Indy is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Indy is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Indy is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Indy is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Indy is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Indy is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Indy is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Indy is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Indy is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Indy is ██  ████ (censored by Opiophile, they are just too awesome) Indy's Avatar

Default Re: morphine beer

Not to be a dick, but UTFSE. I really don't know a nice way to say it. This is the THIRD TOPIC made on this same news article.

...sorry....
    "Live on coffee and flowers"

Never Looked Back Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Not to be a dick, but UTFSE. I really don't know a nice way to say it. This is the THIRD TOPIC made on this same news article.

...sorry....
    Ah you're such a dick!

Actually, I hadn't read this yet so I found it interesting but I guess I'm the only one that wasn't updated on this topic yet..
    I like when they say ''He said he didn't know what he was doing was illegal''. Yeah right. It seems to me that practically everything is illegal in the US..
    I don't understand the fuzz though. I don't think this guy would've been arrested in the Netherlands, ever. Not for doing anything tiny like this.

I'm quite a beer-fan myself, would've liked to try a sip..
    Last edited by Saint; 10-31-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Opiophorum Member born2lose is an unknown quantity at this point born2lose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post

...sorry....
    oh, ok

Departed Opiophile losangeleslifer has conned a lot of people to get this much rep losangeleslifer has conned a lot of people to get this much rep losangeleslifer has conned a lot of people to get this much rep losangeleslifer has conned a lot of people to get this much rep losangeleslifer has conned a lot of people to get this much rep losangeleslifer has conned a lot of people to get this much rep losangeleslifer has conned a lot of people to get this much rep losangeleslifer has conned a lot of people to get this much rep losangeleslifer has conned a lot of people to get this much rep losangeleslifer has conned a lot of people to get this much rep losangeleslifer has conned a lot of people to get this much rep losangeleslifer's Avatar

FTFSE!!!!!

Never Looked Back Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint is one bad motherfucker Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by losangeleslifer View Post
    FTFSE!!!!!
    Just guessing.... : Fuck That Fucking Search Engine

Jr. Opiophile Hoss is just really nice Hoss is just really nice Hoss is just really nice Hoss is just really nice Hoss is just really nice Hoss is just really nice Hoss is just really nice Hoss is just really nice Hoss is just really nice Hoss is just really nice Hoss is just really nice Hoss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint View Post
    Just guessing.... : Fuck That Fucking Search Engine
    Or perhaps Floppy Things Finding Sloppy Entries?

Anyways, some Morphine beer... mmm (enter Homer Simpson sound here). Generic, yes I know.
    "The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need" - My Morning Jacket

Fuck That Fancy Sarah Elkhunter

Never Looked Back WarmCyanide has disabled reputation WarmCyanide's Avatar

find the fucking search engine

feed the feral sick elephants

fuck trees, sap everywhere!

but more that all. use the search engine you fuckboats!
    Last edited by WarmCyanide; 11-03-2008 at 02:23 PM.
    ======================================
    David: Is this a game or is it real?

Joshua: what is the difference?

More to the point,why does she want to kill your uncle and his children? - NICK

Opiophorum Member Scagermeister is fresh on the scene. Scagermeister is fresh on the scene. Scagermeister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint View Post
    Fuck That Fancy Sarah Elkhunter
    Oh God would I ever. But I couldn't ever have accepted her as VP... she'd make a good secretary or even an HR lady though.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day."

---Frank Sinatra

+ Reply to Thread