Advertise on Opiophile
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drug Test Results Given to Employer by Dr.'s Offic

Occasionally Opiated Andrew T is an unknown quantity at this point Andrew T's Avatar

Drug Test Results Given to Employer by Dr.'s Offic

The small coal operator I work for was bought out by a large corporation. We are all guaranteed our current positions (with higher pay and benefits) if we pass a urine drug screen and physical.

I currently goto a methadone clinic. My employer is unaware that I goto the clinic. The Kentucky Office of Mine Safety and Licensing requires "methadone and other synthetic drugs" must be screened for. I will have no problem passing the drug test. But the methadone will show up on the test. I'm going to have a letter from the clinic to give to the doctor's office stating that I'm "prescribed" methadone.

My question is: Even though I will pass the test, I will be positive for methadone. Will the doctor's office or lab they use report the positive result for methadone to the company? Or will they only report "PASS" or "FAIL"?

Are there any laws regarding this ? I could understand them reporting "FAIL - Cocaine". But reporting "PASS - Opiates" or "PASS - methadone" seems like invasion of privacy.

QUEEN B MODERATOR roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust has much to be proud of roxi*stardust's Avatar

Default Re: Drug Test Results Given to Employer by Dr.'s O

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
    The small coal operator I work for was bought out by a large corporation. We are all guaranteed our current positions (with higher pay and benefits) if we pass a urine drug screen and physical.

I currently goto a methadone clinic. My employer is unaware that I goto the clinic. The Kentucky Office of Mine Safety and Licensing requires "methadone and other synthetic drugs" must be screened for. I will have no problem passing the drug test. But the methadone will show up on the test. I'm going to have a letter from the clinic to give to the doctor's office stating that I'm "prescribed" methadone.

My question is: Even though I will pass the test, I will be positive for methadone. Will the doctor's office or lab they use report the positive result for methadone to the company? Or will they only report "PASS" or "FAIL"?

Are there any laws regarding this ? I could understand them reporting "FAIL - Cocaine". But reporting "PASS - Opiates" or "PASS - methadone" seems like invasion of privacy.
    I would highly suggest that you obtain a letter from your clinic stating that your are prescribed Methadone. You could even talk to someone in your Human Resources Dept. and explain to them that you are on prescribed Methadone, show them the letter from your clinic. You don't have to talk to HR though if you don't want to. But it is imperative that you get that letter stating you are prescribed Methadone.

How each companies handles this is different but this is what generally happens. Your urine will test positive for Methadone since you are taking it and they do test for it. Positive results are then sent to what's called a MRO (Medical Review Officer). This is usually a doctor employed by either the company or the lab that tests the samples. The MRO reviews the screening and will speak to you about your tests results. This is why I said you may want inform your HR person first, this way they are already aware. They can either provide the MRO with your letter or they may just have you to send it. But it might be done through your HR office. Once the MRO has the information and can confirm with either the clinic doctor or clinic staff that you are prescribed Methadone the results are reported as negative to the company.

I hope that helps explain a bit. If you do a Google search for MRO, positive drug screen, prescribed medication you will find a ton of info. Good luck

I don't know if you are required to submit to DOT (Department of Transportation) testing because of your job or not but if you are then you will definately be reviewed by an MRO.

Medical Review Officer (MRO):

According to DOT regulations, all DOT drug screens must be reviewed by an MRO. Many states also require an MRO review. An MRO is a license M.D. with a history of substance abuse diagnostic work. This service is also available for Non-DOT testing, if desired. During the MRO's review it may be necessary for them to contact and speak directly with the donor to verify any types of medication the donor has taken. The client will not be notified if this occurs and will only be notified when a test result is available.

..... found that when it got *really* bad, I'd cop, and fuck all that detoxing, whether I'm eating carrots and brown rice, or vodka and cough drops, I've learned only one sure thing about detoxing:
    There Ain't No Free Lunch!.......Originally posted by Duckfeet

Never Looked Back devilsdrug is just really nice devilsdrug is just really nice devilsdrug is just really nice devilsdrug is just really nice devilsdrug is just really nice devilsdrug is just really nice devilsdrug is just really nice devilsdrug is just really nice devilsdrug is just really nice devilsdrug is just really nice

Default Re: Drug Test Results Given to Employer by Dr.'s O

they might also wonder if the Rx is for pain or H

+ Reply to Thread