Making chloroform

Advertise on Opiophile
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making chloroform

Gives No Shits chopstix has disabled reputation chopstix's Avatar

Default Making chloroform

Any chemists here see anything wrong with this? I imagine a proper distillation would be in order but I think that would be easy enough. I've seen several variations of this recipe on the net and they seem fairly consistent. FWIW, SWIM cannot find this shit anywhere, it's not like I can just bop into the local photo lab and buy it, it doesn't seem to exist and the closest I can find (that's relevant) is a %10Etoh/Isohexane product at your local electronics chain.

--------
    Making Cholorform:

WARNING: This isn't one of those bullshit 'something might go wrong' warnings. This is not safe chloroform. Medical grade chloroform is mixed with a percentage of ether to stop it decomposing to the chemical Phosgene, A WWI chemical gas. While taking in chloroform, it decomposes in your body to phosgene. The phosgene reaches the liver, and creates cell mutation and DNA changes which are pretty much guaranteed to cause cancer eventually. In addition to the phosgene mentioned, halocarbons tend to be bitchin' alkylating agents. There is an obscene amount of shit in your body which can be fucked up by alkylation, and some of the more reactive thereof happen to be the base pairs in your DNA. YOU WILL GET CANCER.
    Pay attention to that.
    Materials:
    - Bottle of Bleach.
    - Bottle of pure acetone (not nail-polish remover, you can pick up acetone at hardware stores)
    - Big bag of party-ice. You really do need a lot of ice.
    - Glassware, so you can see how much of the solution has turned to chloroform. You cannot see well through many other materials, plastic etc.
    Method:
    1. Pour bleach in glass container. Almost all the way up. Maybe use half a litre or so, but it can work in smaller sizes, its just less effective.
    2. Add ice to the bleach, to cool it down to a temperature significantly cooler than room temperature. Leave it to cool for a bit.
    3. Add one part Acetone for every 50 parts Bleach. Pour acetone in, replenish the ice if necessary. With time the reaction should cloud up and increase in heat.
    4. Leave it for 20 minutes, just to make sure that the reaction is fully completed. Keep a close eye on it though, it may overheat. Feel the glass occasionally to make sure. Also, allow time for the reaction to settle. Time may vary with the size of reactions made.
    5. After settling, there will either be a white powder at the bottom of the glassware, or a clear bubble. Pour off the remaining solution and try to leave the bubble/dust in the glass.
    6. Extract pure chloroform with a separation funnel or a similar instrument..
    7. If you wish to store chloroform, use a brown glass bottle only to prevent radiation making it turn to phosgene quicker. Also, make sure the bottle is filled all the way up, because chloroform reacts with Oxygen. You can only store the chloroform for a week or so however, because it will eventually decompose.
    Yeah. Now that you know this information, don't use it.
    --------------------

Eh??
    All posts made under the user account 'Chopstix' are exercises of creative fiction and in no way represent fact or truth. The user account 'Chopstix' is open to multiple authors with a common interest in lawful research and authoring fiction; and as such, no single user is responsible for the entirety of the post content of this account. No content may be reproduced in any form or fashion via any medium whatsoever unless specified with written and notarized permission of the original post author, without exception. Got that? Good! Have a bitchin' day.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"
    Krishnamurti

Junky aj11 has a spectacular aura about aj11 has a spectacular aura about aj11 has a spectacular aura about aj11 has a spectacular aura about aj11 has a spectacular aura about aj11 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Making chloroform

damn chopstix, I read the title and thought date rape, good post though didn't know it had a purposeful use good shit man points
    "What we have here is not a war on drugs, but a war on personal freedom"
    young, dumb and full of opium

Opiophile norseman is a glorious beacon of light norseman is a glorious beacon of light norseman is a glorious beacon of light norseman is a glorious beacon of light norseman is a glorious beacon of light norseman is a glorious beacon of light norseman is a glorious beacon of light norseman is a glorious beacon of light norseman is a glorious beacon of light norseman is a glorious beacon of light norseman is a glorious beacon of light norseman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aj11 View Post
    damn chopstix, I read the title and thought date rape, good post though didn't know it had a purposeful use good shit man points
    Am I missing something here, I read the title and thought the same! Is there any recreational value to this stuff?

True Opiophile clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton is one bad motherfucker clinton's Avatar

can we ask why?

Umm, this is all hypothetical and purely for curiousity's sake. I have no intention of actually synthesizing anything, I'm simply trying to educate myself. That's why

If you read some other threads by some informed chemists in this forum, you might read of some theoretical uses for chloroform.

EDIT: Recreational value?? Yeah, but a REALLY bad idea. Chloroform is a great non-polar solvent. 'Nuff said..
    All posts made under the user account 'Chopstix' are exercises of creative fiction and in no way represent fact or truth. The user account 'Chopstix' is open to multiple authors with a common interest in lawful research and authoring fiction; and as such, no single user is responsible for the entirety of the post content of this account. No content may be reproduced in any form or fashion via any medium whatsoever unless specified with written and notarized permission of the original post author, without exception. Got that? Good! Have a bitchin' day.

Krishnamurti

Never Looked Back WarmCyanide has disabled reputation WarmCyanide's Avatar

robojunkie is the one to ask on this. maybe he'll see this
    ======================================
    David: Is this a game or is it real?

Joshua: what is the difference?

More to the point,why does she want to kill your uncle and his children? - NICK

OpioNoMo smoothupnu69 is an unknown quantity at this point

thnx dude a must have to kidnap a beaty to add to my sex dungeon! MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Never Looked Back SurfRat is just really nice SurfRat is just really nice SurfRat is just really nice SurfRat is just really nice SurfRat is just really nice SurfRat is just really nice SurfRat is just really nice SurfRat is just really nice SurfRat is just really nice SurfRat is just really nice SurfRat is just really nice SurfRat's Avatar

It looks alright to me. I think this kind of stuff is real interesting. I tried to work with pods last year and bought lots of glassware, bruckner funnel etc. But then I realized I am too much of an artist type and really don't have the mind for this kind of work.

Hypothetically folks on the west coast really need some kind of simple setup to finish the job our neighbors down south were too stupid, lazy, indifferent or just plain evil to bother with.
    I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.
    Woody Allen

"I needed to talk to Jon, to tell him to make Francine drunker, madder,
    with one foot in hell, one hand yanking the corn from the stalk as death approached,
    with the nearby buildings having faces out of dreams, looking down on the sadness of existence for us all:
    the rich, the poor, the beautiful, and the ugly, the talented and the useless."
    Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post
    Hypothetically folks on the west coast really need some kind of simple setup to finish the job our neighbors down south were too stupid, lazy, indifferent or just plain evil to bother with.
    The problem is huge. I hear there's so much unreacted AA in the crap that you can pretty much skip the whole "salt-forming" aspect of a typical A/B extraction and I'm now starting to read that most A/B cleaning recipes won't work with this stuff due to the type of salt that's formed with excess AA - ie, diacetyl-acetate instead of HCI - I'm now in over my head but like I said, I'm asking questions purely for theory and education.

Yeah, paging RJ.. If he doesn't pop up I'll have to go find him. I think he's busy with his new site.

To the guy up there hinting at date rape with chloroform; #1 - they have better drugs for that now, and #2 - I'm really more the type to just buy her drinks, make her laugh and get down her pants the old fashioned way, then you can go get breakfast and maybe fuck her again sometime... You should try it, it's fun and they don't put you away for it.

There are a lot more uses for Trichlor than laboriously knocking people unconscious for a couple minutes while hosing their livers..

Krishnamurti

robojunkie

Yeah guys, we chem people don't go asking "Why", I don't want to know why, I just wonder about all the amazing interconversions that are possible in the lovely world of molecular manipulation...

Chloroform isn't anywhere as near as toxic/carcinogenic/phosgene-generating as that says. I've actually had to make phosgene in order to generate isocyanides (they are usually used to make pyrroles and so forth) and yes, it would suck major ass to breath alot but I've smelled it, it boils somewhere between -20 and like 10 C or so, I forget right now, but all it really is is the acid chloride of the ephemeral "carbonic acid" (as is if you could take NaHCO3, bicarb, and make H2CO3 out of it), which cannot exist as a pure compound, only a wicked tiny amount in carbonated water. It's generally toxic due to the generation of two molecules of HCl gas on contact with water, as well as CO2 to help suffocate you in the process. And, lastly chloroform hit by light gives "hydrated phosgene" which is CCl2(OH)2, a really fucked up and impossible to exist looking formula, but it does in chloroform solution. That's why it usually is mixed with 1% ethanol or some such amount, it'll just decomp into diethyl carbonate. A brown bottle and no oxygen will keep chloroform for years if kept sealed and cool. But yeah, acetone and a positive chlorine ion source (ie if no chlorine gas, bleach works, its the same idea) because of the "tautomer" equilibrium acetone has with "2-propene-ol". like double bond at the C-C and single C-OH bond, the double bond grabs the chlorine from the hypochlorite ion especially in acidic solutions, and it keeps happening until one throws hydroxide at it, which then attacks the carbonyl, carbonyl comes back down and kicks out the CCl3 anion, grabs the H+ off water and there's the chloroform. It's an equilibrium though and one has to be careful because too basic a solution (really one doesn't use hydroxide itself, probably just a weaker bicarb solution) will also rip the proton off chloroform, and if too basic the next thing to happen is loss of chloride, leaving CCl2 or dichlorocarbene, a wicked electrophile (ie, alkylating agent, bad for DNA and life).

As for the phosgene thing, carbon tetrachloride is much more apt to generate it than chloroform, and much much faster in the presence of a transition metal cloride with an occasional drop of water, hell you can see it coming up along with some HCl. Pretty cool, like a history experiment or some shit. Didn't Hitler get phosgened during WWI?

So basically he's exaggerating. Best place to look for these simple industrial type preps of solvents is the local State U library. Merck index gives the references and there it is, free of charge.

That "recipe" above should work, one thing is that it would be better if one had a condenser to collect the vapor and drip it into a second container, with a nice column from the reaction to the condenser to ensure no water codistillate/azeotrope, well the azeotrope will always come, but it will keep vapor away, ie fractional distillation. Reaction itself would probably heat it enough. Then just recycle what gets used in the photolab. Occasional redistillation, and you're helping the environment!

Departed Opiophile Mayo has disabled reputation Mayo's Avatar

If you are still interested in chloroform for A/B:

Proper glassware will help alot with evaporation and yield, as I'm sure you know.
    Simple distillation will be necessary if you don't filter, and highly advisable anyway.
    Don't worry about azeotropes or having water in the chloroform if you are just using it for simple A/B and no gassing.
    You should actually wash the crude chloroform with water.
    Water has a solubility in chloroform of something like only 0.05% w/w.
    Just use within a day or two.
    If you do want it dry for gassing, use a solid drying agent.

But: chloroform is found OTC easily, unless Cali has some special rules that other states don't. Swim just bought some recently.
    Toluene is a much better choice for a simple A/B, as it won't pull nearly as much crap over as chloroform.
    Have you tried toluene, theoretically speaking?

Honorary Charter Member nick has disabled reputation nick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robojunkie View Post
    Yeah guys, we chem people don't go asking "Why", I don't want to know why, I just wonder about all the amazing interconversions that are possible in the lovely world of molecular manipulation...

Chloroform isn't anywhere as near as toxic/carcinogenic/phosgene-generating as that says. I've actually had to make phosgene in order to generate isocyanides (they are usually used to make pyrroles and so forth) and yes, it would suck major ass to breath alot but I've smelled it, it boils somewhere between -20 and like 10 C or so, I forget right now, but all it really is is the acid chloride of the ephemeral "carbonic acid" (as is if you could take NaHCO3, bicarb, and make H2CO3 out of it), which cannot exist as a pure compound, only a wicked tiny amount in carbonated water. It's generally toxic due to the generation of two molecules of HCl gas on contact with water, as well as CO2 to help suffocate you in the process. And, lastly chloroform hit by light gives "hydrated phosgene" which is CCl2(OH)2, a really fucked up and impossible to exist looking formula, but it does in chloroform solution. That's why it usually is mixed with 1% ethanol or some such amount, it'll just decomp into diethyl carbonate. A brown bottle and no oxygen will keep chloroform for years if kept sealed and cool. But yeah, acetone and a positive chlorine ion source (ie if no chlorine gas, bleach works, its the same idea) because of the "tautomer" equilibrium acetone has with "2-propene-ol". like double bond at the C-C and single C-OH bond, the double bond grabs the chlorine from the hypochlorite ion especially in acidic solutions, and it keeps happening until one throws hydroxide at it, which then attacks the carbonyl, carbonyl comes back down and kicks out the CCl3 anion, grabs the H+ off water and there's the chloroform. It's an equilibrium though and one has to be careful because too basic a solution (really one doesn't use hydroxide itself, probably just a weaker bicarb solution) will also rip the proton off chloroform, and if too basic the next thing to happen is loss of chloride, leaving CCl2 or dichlorocarbene, a wicked electrophile (ie, alkylating agent, bad for DNA and life).

As for the phosgene thing, carbon tetrachloride is much more apt to generate it than chloroform, and much much faster in the presence of a transition metal cloride with an occasional drop of water, hell you can see it coming up along with some HCl. Pretty cool, like a history experiment or some shit. Didn't Hitler get phosgened during WWI?

So basically he's exaggerating. Best place to look for these simple industrial type preps of solvents is the local State U library. Merck index gives the references and there it is, free of charge.

That "recipe" above should work, one thing is that it would be better if one had a condenser to collect the vapor and drip it into a second container, with a nice column from the reaction to the condenser to ensure no water codistillate/azeotrope, well the azeotrope will always come, but it will keep vapor away, ie fractional distillation. Reaction itself would probably heat it enough. Then just recycle what gets used in the photolab. Occasional redistillation, and you're helping the environment!
    Are you sure that you aren't related to some guy named Owsley?
    I yam what I yam-Popeye.

Opiophile Weanie More Feen is cooler than ice More Feen is cooler than ice More Feen is cooler than ice More Feen is cooler than ice More Feen is cooler than ice More Feen is cooler than ice More Feen is cooler than ice More Feen is cooler than ice More Feen is cooler than ice More Feen is cooler than ice More Feen is cooler than ice More Feen's Avatar
    Don't Stare at Flashing Brain (may cause seizures)

as a grad student, i had access to chloroform and would occassionally inhale its vapors with my gf at the time.

one would babysit whilest the other drifted off to the netherworlds.

we did this 2 or 3 times, max. the stuff isn't that good for you (like everday exposure, over several years).

when i got to medical school, i then had access to the good inhalational anesthetics, and all but forgot about chlory-formy.

Sevoflurane, isoflurane & halothane all work much better, smell / taste much better than chloroform.

mf

legal disclaimers:
    - More Feen is a fictitious character and an Opiophile Weanie
    - All posts are a work of fiction; the result of a diseased mind, and are intended for entertainment purposes only
    - More Feen does not condone any illegal activities; know the laws of your community, and abide by them

robojunkie

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    Are you sure that you aren't related to some guy named Owsley?
    Haha, you know my dad? J/K

Chemistry is actually pretty easy and fun if you have the mind for it by nature. It's just one of those things though that people seem to really hate if its not "natural" and have had sucky teachers, of which there are many. If I was more the type to want to deal with low pay and a classroom filled with 29 disinterested kids and 1 who cares but gets beat up every day, I'd become a teacher, but until then forget it...even though I love explaining the stuff to the kids that care as a TA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    If you are still interested in chloroform for A/B:

Proper glassware will help alot with evaporation and yield, as I'm sure you know.
    Simple distillation will be necessary if you don't filter, and highly advisable anyway.
    Don't worry about azeotropes or having water in the chloroform if you are just using it for simple A/B and no gassing.
    You should actually wash the crude chloroform with water.
    Water has a solubility in chloroform of something like only 0.05% w/w.
    Just use within a day or two.
    If you do want it dry for gassing, use a solid drying agent.

But: chloroform is found OTC easily, unless Cali has some special rules that other states don't. Swim just bought some recently.
    Toluene is a much better choice for a simple A/B, as it won't pull nearly as much crap over as chloroform.
    Have you tried toluene, theoretically speaking?
    Where are you getting it OTC - I've looked and looked and can't find it, I found a film cleaner that's suspect, but it doesn't list the ingredients and I can't find it online.

TOLUENE?? - you're fucking kidding me, I can get a gallon in 5 minutes for $7, I used to use it all the time to bump octane in a race car, you can use it in place of trichlor or ether?? You're fucking kidding me!

And isn't the idea too pull the crap over and recover just the goodies?

Krishnamurti

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I thought you were speaking of using the chloroform to pull the deprotonated (non-ionized) diamorph from the basic aqueous solution during an acid/base extraction.
    Chloroform will extract more of the stuff in tar heroin you don't want along with the diamorph than toluene will. And yes, toluene is an extremely effective nonpolar solvent for this purpose.

If you are speaking of using chloroform as a pre-A/B wash, I didn't realize this was your intended use. Regardless, toluene is a very good choice for use in the A/B extraction, and you don't need dry chloroform if you're just going to mix it with water anyway.

Hope all this was understandable, its very late here.
    Last edited by Mayo; 05-17-2008 at 01:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Opiophile SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph's Avatar

This stuff can be bought for fairly cheap, probably save you a lot of hassle/endangering your life.

Quote Originally Posted by SynthMorph View Post
    This stuff can be bought for fairly cheap, probably save you a lot of hassle/endangering your life.
    Elaboration and specifics please? Simply saying "it's out there" doesn't help much.

I wouldn't consider mixing acetone and bleach in a bucket of ice life threatening, but if you know of an easier way I'm all eyes..

Krishnamurti

Opiophile SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph is just really nice SynthMorph's Avatar

Chemical supply companies, Don't know if we're allowed to name specifics?

robojunkie

I'm seriously doubtful on the use of toluene in a successful imaginary way for the theorized purposes. I know only of low MW halogenated hydrocarbons to be useful here, though a message detailing the ease one can imagine this being born awaits...

I am really trying to distract myself right now.

Quote Originally Posted by robojunkie View Post
    I'm seriously doubtful on the use of toluene in a successful imaginary way for the theorized purposes. I know only of low MW halogenated hydrocarbons to be useful here, though a message detailing the ease one can imagine this being born awaits.
    I am really trying to distract myself right now.
    I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Are we not allowed to discuss this in open forum? If so, I apologize and will stop right now. It does sound like you're saying you "seriously" doubt toluene works for the purpose I said it worked for. As a chemist, I cannot understand why anyone with any knowledge of chemistry would say that. Of course toluene works very well for the purpose I described. Finally, in some states chloroform is readily available OTC, but I do not know if California, the state I think chopstix resides, is one of those.

Whew, ok then. thats enough for me. good luck with whatever your trying to do chopstix.

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Are we not allowed to discuss this in open forum? If so, I apologize and will stop right now. It does sound like you're saying you "seriously" doubt toluene works for the purpose I said it worked for. As a chemist, I cannot understand why anyone with any knowledge of chemistry would say that. Of course toluene works very well for the purpose I described. Finally, in some states chloroform is readily available OTC, but I do not know if California, the state I think chopstix resides, is one of those.

Whew, ok then. thats enough for me. good luck with whatever your trying to do chopstix.
    There's nothing wrong with talking about it. And RJ, who is a professional chemist, seems to think that Toluene won't work. He just used a few extra words, he does that. He's a little eccentric but I consider that a character asset. D00d knows his shit and he also runs the board, if you're into chemistry you two could probably find a lot to talk about.

I know fuck all about chemistry, although I'm learning, and I'm not washing based out dope with Toluene until I'm damned sure it's gonna work.

Regarding chloroform, I don't think it's illegal here but I HAVE looked everywhere for trichlor and methylene chloride and I can't find shit, I do know where there's a %10 ethanol/isohexane product. I'm also not very close to any supply houses and not too down with mail order, I'd rather make it and distill it, although my current interest in washing heroin is pretty low. It's all just for theory at this point - at least for me..

Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by chopstix View Post
    I know fuck all about chemistry, although I'm learning, and I'm not washing based out dope with Toluene until I'm damned sure it's gonna work.
    Hi Chopstix. The term 'wash' has a very specific meaning to a chemist. I was not suggesting you wash anything with toluene. There must be alot of misunderstanding here, even though I thought I was being very clear. So anyway, believe what you like. I was just trying to help you out. Sorry if all I did was confuse you.

Hi Chopstix. The term 'wash' has a very specific meaning to a chemist. I was not suggesting you wash anything with toluene. There must be alot of misunderstanding here, even though I thought I was being very clear. So anyway, believe what you like. I was just trying to help you out. Sorry if all I did was confuse you.
    My life is a never ending quest to clarify confusion.

I'm not a chemist, so my lingo lacks. What I was referring to was the phase in which you "wash" the alkaline solution with the freebased shit, dissolving the freebase and having a NP solvent full of dope that just needs some acidic water/ethanol to recover the goodies. I basically meant that I've never heard of anyone using toluene to pull the base away from the garbage.

You're saying that you have actually done this (or dreamt/hallucinated about it)?

Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by chopstix View Post
    My life is a never ending quest to clarify confusion.

I'm not a chemist, so my lingo lacks. What I was referring to was the phase in which you "wash" the alkaline solution with the freebased shit, dissolving the freebase and having a NP solvent full of dope that just needs some acidic water/ethanol to recover the goodies. I basically meant that I've never heard of anyone using toluene to pull the base away from the garbage.

You're saying that you have actually done this (or dreamt/hallucinated about it)?
    AHA!!!! That is not washing. YES YES YES!! Finally. That is EXACTLY what I'm saying!
    Just evap the toluene, no heat or very little heat, just a little fan moving a little air, and you will have diamorph base left in your dish. Or, add a little acidic ethanol as you decribed. But gassing is a MUCH MUCH better way. Amounts are very important here if you are dealing with a small amount of theoretical dope. Toluene is the nonpolar you use to EXTRACT the base from the alkaline aqueous solution.

EDIT: If you want to do a pre-A/B wash then USE CHLOROFORM.

EDIT: If you want to do a pre-A/B wash then USE CHLOROFORM.
    That's pretty much what RJ says: trichlor kicks ass for a prewash, while the shit is still a salt, and is also usable for pulling the base as is ether.

=/ I'm supposed to be dancing through the tulips with my subutex. Fuck.

No offense Mayo - your input is appreciated, I'd like to see a consensus tho: RJ - Toluene to dissolve freebase (its never free ) Diamorph??

And where the fuck is "Specialguy" - he's usually got some input in this..

EDIT: Gassing - HCI on table salt, right? Can I use vinyl or the chem grade clear tubing at the HW store or does this need to be glass??

Edit 2: Ok, so I'm gassing, straight gas through the NP or do you add any other medium to pull it??

Krishnamurti

Opiophorum Member allover will become famous soon enough allover will become famous soon enough allover will become famous soon enough allover will become famous soon enough allover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

I would give you points for saying that if I could, I can't stress this enough.

Edit: Does anyone know why the mexicans insist on supplying the west coast with shitty black tar? Do they save a boat load of money in the synthesis of black tar by skipping or a step or whatever it is they do to get black tar instead of powder? I would ask what the synthesis difference is between black tar and powder but I know I've read it on here before, time to UTFSE.

Hi Chopstix. If I may babble for a minute. I went from long-time lurker to registered user because I believe in harm reduction and thought I could contribute in this effort. You seem like a reasonably intelligent guy with some common sense, so I'd like to help you out. I have degrees in chemistry and biochemistry, though I am forced to make a living as a molecular biologist (eww). Believe what I say or not, my feelings wont be hurt if you don't, though I may consider my effort a waste of time of course.

The first time you do the A/B with toluene, I would do 3 extractions, evap the toluene, scrape up the gear and weigh it. See what your return is. Dissolve in a little acidic water, check pH and enjoy.

Remember - Save everything is the second rule in chemistry, be safe is the first.

When doing the A/B, dissolve your gear in warm distilled water then filter it through a wetted filter paper and put in a test tube. Basify using clean ammonia water, make sure it has no surfactants or other crap in it. Add dropwise, mix after each drop, until its nice and cloudy (or use your pH paper to pH 9 or 10). Remember too little base is better than too much. At least if your return is low you can go back and add more base.

If you get an emulsion, it can be broken, have patients, let it sit if necessary. Swirl the test tube, roll it between your hands, stick your pipette in and mix it up etc. Toluene is less dense than water, suck off the solvent, leave the interface alone.
    Add more solvent, repeat.

To evap the solvent, a good, flat porcelain dish with ~ 1 inch tall sides is great. A heating pad is nice to have also. A fan is absolutely necessary. Put the dish on the heating pad, warm it up a little, add your solvent with the goods and turn on the fan. Any self respecting chemist would do a recrystallization from methanol, but that is not at all necessary.

As you probably know, gassing is much more involved and potentially dangerous than doing an A/B extraction. If you're not a daily user (ie, don't need large amounts of clean gear on hand 24/7), just do the following:

Get some dilute acetic acid (cheap white vinegar) from the grocery store. When ready, put a few drops of said acid in your cooker and heat until it just boils, then add your gear and heat a little to dissolve, adding a little sterile water if necessary. Then dilute with sterile water to a little less than 1ml. Toss in a tiny bit of soda to make sure its not too acidic - you know the deal here, if it bubbles alot its too acidic, if it turns cloudy its too basic. Slightly acidic is good. Heat a little to expell any dissolved CO2. Once you've done it a couple times you know just how much acid and base you need. If you have money, get some syringe filters. If not, then boil your distilled water and even the vinegar a little bit.

If you want to have HCl powder on hand, dissolve your diamorph base in NP of choice and gas it. Or, add your acidic ethanol. Whatever. I am sorry, but I will not go in to gassing in the open forum. It is beyond the scope of harm reduction IMO, potentially dangerous to the inexperienced, and definitely very dangerous to stupid people. I probably shouldn't even have mentioned it in my previous post.

I hope this very long post, if you read it, will be of use to you Feel free to contact me if you desire.

Dopiophile Moderator jdub is cooler than ice jdub is cooler than ice jdub is cooler than ice jdub is cooler than ice jdub is cooler than ice jdub is cooler than ice jdub is cooler than ice jdub is cooler than ice jdub is cooler than ice jdub is cooler than ice jdub is cooler than ice jdub's Avatar

^^Good job dude. I hope someone gets some use from your post and am glad you joined the forum. The more smart people the better IMO.

BTW- I am a chemistry retard so I don't know if your advice is really accurate, but you sound like you know what you are talking about.

You know, I just read the post Cleaning up street junk? Heroin helper down...

This has already been discussed! Low MW halogenated hydrocarbon as a pre-A/B wash, then toluene for the A/B. The only difference I would say is that ammonia water is far superior to bicarb, and that toluene is better for the A/B than non aromatic hydrocarbons. I am just wasting bandwidth here. I apologize for that.
    I would have edited my post for this, but apparently I am too late. Geez, how stupid of me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast