PDA

View Full Version : Tapering down your opiate use painlessly

OxyContinuously
07-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Hello O'philes. This should be of great help to any of you who have been sick (all of us at one point or another, LOL) because of a "not so good" self-detox, or what have you...or even those who are interested in quitting (or drastically reducing their opiate intake and tolerance).

Okay here it is. And please take comfort in the fact that this is *the* method trusted and used within the medical community to help patients taper off their medicine *regardless* of the dosage. One could be using 20 milligrams of methadone (just one example) or 200 milligrams, and the method is the same for both. Also, this works for ALL opiates...and for ALL routes of administration.

Basically what we are going to do is reduce the intake, in milligrams, by a factor of "one-third" every fourth day.

Here's an example. John Doe uses OxyContin daily. He has a habit and is up to 240 milligrams per day, but he wants to quit for hatever reason. One problem, he is scared to death of getting "sick."

Here's what he would do:

Days 1 through 3: Take the 240 mg as you would normally
On Day 4, reduce this amount by one-third, so 240 divided by 3 is 80 (meaning starting on Day 4, John takes 160 milligrams)

Days 4 through 6: take 160 milligrams.
On Day 7, reduce this amount (160mg) by one-third, so that's 53 milligrams less. So starting Day 7 take 107 milligrams.

Days 7 through 9: take 107 milligrams.
On Day 10, reduce this (107mg) by one-third, so that gives you 36mg less which is 71 milligrams

Days 10 through 12: take 71 milligrams.
On Day 13, reduce this (71mg) once again, by a factor of one-third, so that's 24mg less, which is 47 milligrams.

Days 13 through 15: take the 47 milligrams, then on Day 16, reduce again by a factor of one-third.

And so on and so forth until you reach zero, or darn close to it. i realize that a couple of calculations above involved decimals, but it's impractical to take "37.66 mg" of something, so rounding up to the nearest milligram won't hurt you.

The key in this method is to gradually reduce your intake every 3 days by one-third. So bascally take your dose for 3 days, then on the 4th, 5th, and 6th, you'll be taking the one-third less dose. Days 7,8,and 9 are a further reduction, and so on. It is important, folks that you keep it every three days (not two, and not four) for the method to work. And also, the "one-third" aspect is very important: cutting dosage by 33 percent is crucial. 25 percent, 40 percent, etc. is not acceptable, and you may be uncomfortable.

You have a guarantee that if you follow this method strictly (to the nearest milligram--> round up if u have to if you end up with a decimal number) you will be free of the physical dependence, effectively and most importantly *painlessly* with NO WITHDRAWAL ;-);)

I am glad to help and always around to answer questions (Feel free to PM anytime):D

Take care folks
Much respect
peace out

Anthony / (OxyContinuously)

Opilover
07-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Hey Oxy thanks for the info bro,,I actually need to do that at least so I can lower my tolerance...Take Care Bro

southernbelle
07-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Great thread, Oxy! Next time I have to taper, I have the perfect guide.

Synack
07-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Good Guide... personally, if I had to taper -- i'd lower myself by 1- 5% each day or every other day...

OxyContinuously
07-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Hey guys;)

Opi, what's good, brother!
Southernbelle, thank you for the props, I appreciate it:D
and my pal Synack, thx for the compliments;)

Anyway guys, I figured this was some good info and Flip and I were talking about this in the morning and she had a really good idea to make it a "Sticky"

So I hope it can be of some help, and if there's anything unclear, or anyone didn't understand from the description, absolutely PM me and I would be more than happy to clarify

take care folks
Flip, thank you for "Sticky-izing" this
later everyone

Tony / Oxy

Dan Steely
07-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Excellent post as others have said.

This method works very well for me. Have faith in it.

The only thing I don't get is why to continue full dose for three more days. I guess I skip that part.

W/d symptoms are minimal and usually just for the first day of a dosage drop. I help myself through this whole process with immodium, advil, unisom, weed and beer.

OxyContinuously
07-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Excellent post as others have said.

This method works very well for me. Have faith in it.

The only thing I don't get is why to continue full dose for three more days. I guess I skip that part.

W/d symptoms are minimal and usually just for the first day of a dosage drop. I help myself through this whole process with immodium, advil, unisom, weed and beer.

You know what the philosophy is behind that, Dan? It's a fact that metabolites and/or tissue concentrations of most opiates stay in the body for up to 72 hours. The reason why it is suggested that you reduce every "fourth" day is because this ensures that your body has time to "level out" so-to-speak to the various tapered dosages, rather than a harsh every day or every other day reduction. THis ensures that the body does not lose the tissue concentrations of the opiate *too* quickly, and it is this fact that makes this method untouchable in the sense that while there are dozens and dozens of suggested detox(es) that I have read, only this one allows you to not only step down, but do so *painlessly* and with ZERO withdrawal symptoms. The three days of the same dosage allows your body to gradually adjust to the reduction in intake, and just makes the process easier and more tolerable.

hope that helped a bit
take care
later

Oxy

Dan Steely
07-11-2007, 03:32 PM
I do use the same dose for three days in a row and drop 1/3 for three. What I was asking about was at the very beginning where you recommend to continue at full dose for three more days. Why not just drop the 1st third and get on with it? That's what I do and it works out fine.

I strongly agree with you in that this is the way to go. It is so easy it doesn't seem fair and it sure beats cold turkey. I try to always save enough to do this plan.

OxyContinuously
07-11-2007, 03:53 PM
I do use the same dose for three days in a row and drop 1/3 for three. What I was asking about was at the very beginning where you recommend to continue at full dose for three more days. Why not just drop the 1st third and get on with it? That's what I do and it works out fine.

I strongly agree with you in that this is the way to go. It is so easy it doesn't seem fair and it sure beats cold turkey. I try to always save enough to do this plan.

Oh oh, I got you, Dan. That's really up to the user. You are 100 percent correct in saying that you can absolutely drop one-third right off the bat with zero ill effect...it's just that most people, me included like to do shit as a regimen, you know? That's all, there's no *medical* reason, you are quite right.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question

take it easy
talk to u later
peace out

Oxy

zenpunk
07-11-2007, 06:18 PM
so simple.....

nick
07-11-2007, 07:14 PM
This is a great taper and I've been refering folks to the "oxy method" for sometime.Unless you've got a very heavy or long habit,this taper is a winner.

However,NO kick is pain free one way or the other.This taper reduces as much of the pain as possible.

Many thanks and props to Oxy for giving us one of the best maps "out" possible.

youwonhundred
07-11-2007, 07:19 PM
This may sound like a stupid question, but am I the ONLY one who lacks the willpower to even undertake something so "simple"?

nick
07-11-2007, 07:20 PM
This may sound like a stupid question, but am I the ONLY one who lacks the willpower to even undertake something so "simple"?

No bro......you're not.

youwonhundred
07-11-2007, 07:26 PM
No bro......you're not.

Thanks. I was feeling pretty bad about that... Seems like if I have dope, I'm gonna do it, and stay as high as possible for as long as possible, then deal with the consequences when I do run out. It sucks, but been doing things that way since I've had steady scripts... They NEVER last. Might last longer if i was a greedy bastard, but if somebody needs help, I'm gonna do the "right" thing.

nick
07-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks. I was feeling pretty bad about that... Seems like if I have dope, I'm gonna do it, and stay as high as possible for as long as possible, then deal with the consequences when I do run out. It sucks, but been doing things that way since I've had steady scripts... They NEVER last. Might last longer if i was a greedy bastard, but if somebody needs help, I'm gonna do the "right" thing.

Welcome to my world bro.Sometimes I hate the "right" thing,but what can you do?

I find booze helps,but I wouldn't recomend it.

Jesus,we're doomed.

Somanax
07-11-2007, 07:50 PM
No bro......you're not.

You are so not alone .............oh well got to go cop

again...... no sleep without the wakeup you know

nick
07-11-2007, 08:23 PM
We know bro.......we know.

OxyContinuously
07-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Hey youwonhundred

don't feel bad, brother...this kinda shit comes with the territory...hell i'll tell you that unless my ass is up against the wall, i have very little self control when it comes to opiates, jsut the nature of the beast.
:D
I finally admitted that I am not an "abuser" or a "pillhead" or a "user" or any shit like that--------> I am a dopehead, plain and simple; don't get me wrong, I am certainly not telling you what to do or telling you ; just sharing a bit of my own personal shit, is all; like how shit worked out for me in my perspective, and how I deal with it personally;)

i feel you tho youwonhundred; it's hard as hell to taper or stop or even not dose at the same time each day.....gets tiresome after a while, but this is what *I* chose, you know? So i just work with it, and am fortunate and lucky enough to have a decent job, money and a steady source.

take it easy bro
peace
respect

Oxy

Ale
07-13-2007, 09:58 PM
I do use the same dose for three days in a row and drop 1/3 for three. What I was asking about was at the very beginning where you recommend to continue at full dose for three more days. Why not just drop the 1st third and get on with it? That's what I do and it works out fine

Just consider them to be the days before you start the treatment..taking the full dose for four more days basically means nothing but starting reducing it 4days later..referred to the moment when you took the decision of tapering..but since you have to start it eventually..then it doesn't make any difference the day you start on..since most people like to do shit as a regimen..so I'd say no matter when you start it..just make sure you're following a constant reduction by the one-third(or similar) factor..

Dan Steely
07-13-2007, 11:51 PM
I am working this taper right now. It has been great. Not even two weeks ago I was doin 120mgs a day now im down to 20 and I feel brand new. I will do one more reduction and be done. It would have been awful to go cold. I'm so glad that I learned this method here.

AWOL
07-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Hello O'philes. This should be of great help to any of you who have been sick (all of us at one point or another, LOL) because of a "not so good" self-detox, or what have you...or even those who are interested in quitting (or drastically reducing their opiate intake and tolerance).

Okay here it is. And please take comfort in the fact that this is *the* method trusted and used within the medical community to help patients taper off their medicine *regardless* of the dosage. One could be using 20 milligrams of methadone (just one example) or 200 milligrams, and the method is the same for both. Also, this works for ALL opiates...and for ALL routes of administration.

Basically what we are going to do is reduce the intake, in milligrams, by a factor of "one-third" every fourth day.

Here's an example. John Doe uses OxyContin daily. He has a habit and is up to 240 milligrams per day, but he wants to quit for hatever reason. One problem, he is scared to death of getting "sick."

Here's what he would do:

Days 1 through 3: Take the 240 mg as you would normally
On Day 4, reduce this amount by one-third, so 240 divided by 3 is 80 (meaning starting on Day 4, John takes 160 milligrams)

Days 4 through 6: take 160 milligrams.
On Day 7, reduce this amount (160mg) by one-third, so that's 53 milligrams less. So starting Day 7 take 107 milligrams.

Days 7 through 9: take 107 milligrams.
On Day 10, reduce this (107mg) by one-third, so that gives you 36mg less which is 71 milligrams

Days 10 through 12: take 71 milligrams.
On Day 13, reduce this (71mg) once again, by a factor of one-third, so that's 24mg less, which is 47 milligrams.

Days 13 through 15: take the 47 milligrams, then on Day 16, reduce again by a factor of one-third.

And so on and so forth until you reach zero, or darn close to it. i realize that a couple of calculations above involved decimals, but it's impractical to take "37.66 mg" of something, so rounding up to the nearest milligram won't hurt you.

The key in this method is to gradually reduce your intake every 3 days by one-third. So bascally take your dose for 3 days, then on the 4th, 5th, and 6th, you'll be taking the one-third less dose. Days 7,8,and 9 are a further reduction, and so on. It is important, folks that you keep it every three days (not two, and not four) for the method to work. And also, the "one-third" aspect is very important: cutting dosage by 33 percent is crucial. 25 percent, 40 percent, etc. is not acceptable, and you may be uncomfortable.

You have a guarantee that if you follow this method strictly (to the nearest milligram--> round up if u have to if you end up with a decimal number) you will be free of the physical dependence, effectively and most importantly *painlessly* with NO WITHDRAWAL ;-);)

I am glad to help and always around to answer questions (Feel free to PM anytime):D

Take care folks
Much respect
peace out

Anthony / (OxyContinuously)

Glad to see this was finally stickied, I could have used this info a few times. Not that I might have put it to practical use but at least I wouldn't have been able to claim ignorance, etc.

chopstix
07-14-2007, 12:08 AM
This basic schedule works with a lot of substances, especially if you take the half life into account and adjust accordingly - ie Methadone has a longer halflife than oxy, so you would probably be able to make quicker cuts with the oxy than the meth, might sound backwards but the longer the halflife, the longer your body takes to adjust to the cut.

Valium is commonly used for Benzo withdrawal because it has a very long half life, you can make weekly cuts, (like %10) and have a fairly consistent drop in blood levels and withdraw in relative comfort. Like Methadone, Valium tapers might take a year or more but are far easier than a rapid detox.

Some substances can be titrated in water to make it easier to measure. Subutex is an example - try cutting an 8mg pill into 1/10th mg doses - good luck, but bup is water soluble and a little math and a little water can easily turn an 8mg pill into 80 1/10th doses. Even though valium isn't terribly soluble in water, a lot of people have success putting pills into solution and titrating < 1mg for tapering. Google Heather Ashton if you're interested in benzo tapering..

Ale
07-14-2007, 12:53 PM
..it's impractical to take "37.66 mg" of something, so rounding up to the nearest milligram won't hurt you.

I find it impratical even to round up to the nearest milligram..how do you dose 38 mg?

(inaudible screams)
07-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the guide. I will be attempting to do this, but like many of you I tend to take them until they are all gone and suffer the consequences.

noahzark
09-25-2007, 06:52 PM
The idea is great but what works for Tom may not for Dick and Harry might need a different schedule after all. You have the right idea and I think something along those lines is the right idea but seems way too fast for me. Things that you must consider is this, weight. Heavy folks who smoke will need a slower taper as will people who have been using for a long time. I know for a fact that if I followed the schedule the way it is in the post I would be sick at day 7.
I think that adjusting this thing person to person will work and the thread is excellent OxyContinuously.

We thank you!

Noahzark

OxyContinuously
09-26-2007, 08:51 AM
The idea is great but what works for Tom may not for Dick and Harry might need a different schedule after all. You have the right idea and I think something along those lines is the right idea but seems way too fast for me. Things that you must consider is this, weight. Heavy folks who smoke will need a slower taper as will people who have been using for a long time. I know for a fact that if I followed the schedule the way it is in the post I would be sick at day 7.
I think that adjusting this thing person to person will work and the thread is excellent OxyContinuously.

We thank you!

Noahzark

always nay-sayers...do whatever u want; this information is for people who are SERIOUS about tapering, not people with lingual diarrhea...oh, and by the way, professor, tapering has jack shit to do with weight...

doctor diesel
09-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Oxy,

If you were to hazard a guess, what percentage dose of one's usual DOC dose would you say is typically necessary to maintain on (avoid WDs).
Just to explain myself a little better, say I regularly punish myself with 120mg morphine per day, how many mg's do you reckon would be required to keep one's endorphin count up sufficiently to feel normal - obviously without any chasing of the sacred High.
Anecdotally, when I used to use codeine, and my dose was 150mg a day, I found that I could get away with just under fity percent of that amount by way of comfortable maintenance - maybe even a third of normal dose. Now that my DOC is smoked H of course there's no way of counting doses.
Anyway, so what am I getting at?
I'm not sure, it's just that - as you point out in this thread - in many ways the best way to get off a drug is just to taper down on it. That's the theory anyway, but it doesn't take into account temptation, which is a bastard for all of us really. Your tapering procedure - percentage decrease-wise - is really rather cautious, and flies in the face of my anecdotal finding that you can get away with half your normal dose.
So I just wonder what people have found they can get away with in this respect.
Of course if it's all too boring... then just pretend I never wrote this!

laters all,

Doctor

kyuss
09-26-2007, 01:08 PM
I find it impratical even to round up to the nearest milligram..how do you dose 38 mg?

The idea is just
to cut down by 1/3
with each regression.
Good thread OxyC.

wafflehead77
09-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Oxy,
If you were to hazard a guess, what percentage dose of one's usual DOC dose would you say is typically necessary to maintain on (avoid WDs).
Just to explain myself a little better, say I regularly punish myself with 120mg morphine per day, how many mg's do you reckon would be required to keep one's endorphin count up sufficiently to feel normal - obviously without any chasing of the sacred High.
Anecdotally, when I used to use codeine, and my dose was 150mg a day, I found that I could get away with just under fity percent of that amount by way of comfortable maintenance - maybe even a third of normal dose. Now that my DOC is smoked H of course there's no way of counting doses.
Anyway, so what am I getting at?
I'm not sure, it's just that - as you point out in this thread - in many ways the best way to get off a drug is just to taper down on it. That's the theory anyway, but it doesn't take into account temptation, which is a bastard for all of us really. Your tapering procedure - percentage decrease-wise - is really rather cautious, and flies in the face of my anecdotal finding that you can get away with half your normal dose.
So I just wonder what people have found they can get away with in this respect.
Of course if it's all too boring... then just pretend I never wrote this!
laters all,
Doctor

For me, it depends on the drug. Most of the time I use oxy, as it is all I can get (Id rather have D, but whatever). With oxy, I use approx. 60mg/dose, and 140-180/day. The lowest I can go without any w/d symptoms is about 12.5-15mg/dose, and 40-45/day. So I can feel normal with 25%/dose, and the same for a daily dose.
When I am on a hydromorphone run, I do 32mg/day, and the lowest I can go without being sick is maybe 20mg, so I can only drop 1/3 at the most, and alot of the time, I have to drop no more than 10% a day, or I am SICK, really sick.
I dont know if it is due to the t1/2/duration of action or what, but Dilaudid is just a demon to me. I cant maintain and stay steady with it. I either go up, or get sick. But everyone is different.

jonny-5
09-26-2007, 06:08 PM
i wish i could successfully do a taper, but its not for me. im always the type to say "fuck it, im just gonna get blasted right now" and say fuck the taper. i would have to have someone hold on to my heroin and give it to me in premeasured globs or somethign. good info tho for sure.

noahzark
09-26-2007, 06:54 PM
I wonder how doctors do it with pain patients?
Any comments?

disaster
10-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Ok so i got a quick question for you oxy.
what if i was tapering on oxy but did other opiates with it.
so say i was tapering 80mg a day and decided i wanted to pop a norco for the hell of it.
would that norco have influence on the process of me gettin sick?
or say i was on the first stage and did a morphadorp would that thro my shit off?

i am going to start this process tommorow at 80 mg a day.
i will keep posted on how it goes.

One other quick question how would you measure the break down of the oc.
just by eyeballin it and sayin o that looks like 53 mg...
if we have to be precise on 1/3 i would hate to eyeball less and get sick or more and fuck it up

JonnyM
10-29-2007, 07:38 PM
well say your doing an 80mg oxy a day... Take the pill and cut it into thirds and just take two of those 3rds... If you do it right it should be pretty close to the amount, and the difference shouldnt be enough to give you w/d or to fuck up the taper. If you are really that worried about it you can always spend the money to buy a mg scale, they sell em at walmart.

Dezarc
11-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Is there a simular way to do this with Bupe? I know bube is not the same thing exactly, but could there be a variation of this method to make it work with bupe?

I can take a very small amout of Bupe and not set sick (1/8), and I usally just use that untill I can get my main medicine again. But I am intreseted in getting off of the main drug for a bit, and if there is a way to use bupe I will.

I just want to keep the withdrawl from bupe down to a minimum when I finally run out of it. Basiclly, is there a good taper plan (like the one you wrote) for bupe?

roxi*stardust
11-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Is there a simular way to do this with Bupe? I know bube is not the same thing exactly, but could there be a variation of this method to make it work with bupe?

I can take a very small amout of Bupe and not set sick (1/8), and I usally just use that untill I can get my main medicine again. But I am intreseted in getting off of the main drug for a bit, and if there is a way to use bupe I will.

I just want to keep the withdrawl from bupe down to a minimum when I finally run out of it. Basiclly, is there a good taper plan (like the one you wrote) for bupe?
Why not check out the Bupe forum. There is a ton of info in there plus a guide.

Dezarc
11-25-2007, 03:25 PM
I apologize if I sound rude, I am not trying to be. I know about bupe, I am not a stranger to it.

The reason I asked here instead of the bupe fourm is because this thread covers the tapering method. If I have missed sometihing on the bupe fourm, let me know, but this method of taper is really great.

I have checked out the bupe guide many times, and I know what is involved with dosing on the bupe. There isn't really anything there about a painless tapering down to avoid WD. It seems like the subject hasn't been covered as far as a *painless* taper. (If I am wrong please correct me)

The method in this thread does work very well, I just wanted to know if the sme can be done with bupe, I suspect that the timing might have to change (doing it every 5 days instead of 3, or something like that) because of bupe's half-life, but I don't know for certain.

I was just wondering if tapering down *painlessly* with bupe was even possible, because it seems like (the way everone talks) you will get WD from bupe no matter what and it cannot be avoided.

Oxycontinusly, do you think this is possible with bupe? How did you figure out the painless taper for your DOC?

OxyContinuously
11-26-2007, 12:53 PM
I apologize if I sound rude, I am not trying to be. I know about bupe, I am not a stranger to it.

The reason I asked here instead of the bupe fourm is because this thread covers the tapering method. If I have missed sometihing on the bupe fourm, let me know, but this method of taper is really great.

I have checked out the bupe guide many times, and I know what is involved with dosing on the bupe. There isn't really anything there about a painless tapering down to avoid WD. It seems like the subject hasn't been covered as far as a *painless* taper. (If I am wrong please correct me)

The method in this thread does work very well, I just wanted to know if the sme can be done with bupe, I suspect that the timing might have to change (doing it every 5 days instead of 3, or something like that) because of bupe's half-life, but I don't know for certain.

I was just wondering if tapering down *painlessly* with bupe was even possible, because it seems like (the way everone talks) you will get WD from bupe no matter what and it cannot be avoided.

Oxycontinusly, do you think this is possible with bupe? How did you figure out the painless taper for your DOC?

Hey whats goin' on?

I would imagine it's definitely possible w/ bupe, only thing is just keep in mind bupe lasts and lasts and lasts, so you would have to adjust somewhat...

And how did I figure this out? Well, it was a lot of painful trial and error, for the most part. I also do know a couple people in the medical profession, so after talking to them (as a friend not a patient) and keeping in mind how long oxycodone stays in ur system (~3 days give or take due to personal metabolism, etc.) I figured that every 3 days is good as a step-down. As far as "how much" to step down, i talked to some doctors and medical people, and together we decided that a third should be safe as far as not feeling any withdrawal...Incidentally, the PDR also suggests a taper very very similar, with the same one third reduction...

With the bupe, I am not as experienced as I am w/ the oxy so I am not exactly sure what a comfortable schedule would be. Buprenorphine causes a more drawn out period of withdrawal whereas heroin and oxycodone are pretty clear cut--in other words, after 72 hrs have passes, u should be MUCH better (physically)..

take care

roxi*stardust
11-26-2007, 12:59 PM

I'm sorry but if you looked in the Bupe forum you would have found that there are tons of threads on tapering off Bupe. There are some good threads from Sitar in that forum that are ALL about tapering.

PantyShot9
12-02-2007, 12:54 AM
How much done equals the oxy and would it work the same becuz of done's longer half-life?

God_Albino
03-05-2008, 08:59 PM
im on 75 mcg fent every two days and 8 dilaudid 4's every day, my pain doc says i can taper off painlessly in 6 days.

12 hours without fent makes me insane like nothing else, is that reasonable at all?

Dan Steely
03-06-2008, 07:44 AM
im on 75 mcg fent every two days and 8 dilaudid 4's every day, my pain doc says i can taper off painlessly in 6 days.

12 hours without fent makes me insane like nothing else, is that reasonable at all?

How long have you been on it?

bubbles
03-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Just wanted to say thanks Oxy for a great post. I'm continuously running out of my Vics (not nearly as strong as Oxy's, I'll admit, but I'm up to like 12 (or sometimes more, ok a lot of times more) of the 10/500's and my dose is only supposed to be 8 a day so I won't kill my liver.

I keep telling myself i'm going to cut back this day, and then that day comes and I say no let's make it this day and then I go and binge after like only 2 days and screw everything up! But now that I have a plan that sounds reasonable it shouldn't be so scary and since it's prescribed, I won't have to stop completely, but I've got to get my tolerance down so I can take less while still getting the same effects I'm getting now. Plus I'm sick of always being in a panic the last couple of weeks or so when i realize I've taken a month's supply in like two weeks! So I'm taking your advice and I'm starting today !

So anyway thanks for giving people an actual plan to avoid all that nastiness as much as possible. Good luck to everyone who give it a shot for whatever reason and wish me luck too!

Peace,
Bubbles

God_Albino
03-10-2008, 04:23 AM
How long have you been on it?

2 months, then a break, then 2 and a half months. i started banging ocs and dilaudid recently to keep the fent horror away, horrible fucking decision.

i cant go two hours without the chills and crazies coming back in, even after i tossed all the rigs and just been sniffing oxy and chewing my empties to get through the day, forget about a buzz.

i take nowhere near what 99% of the rest of you folks do, other than my weekly patch bender for a day its pretty low

Dan Steely
03-11-2008, 10:10 AM
2 months, then a break, then 2 and a half months. i started banging ocs and dilaudid recently to keep the fent horror away, horrible fucking decision.

i cant go two hours without the chills and crazies coming back in, even after i tossed all the rigs and just been sniffing oxy and chewing my empties to get through the day, forget about a buzz.

"I kinda doubt you are going to get over it as quick as your dr says. Sure you could bite the bullet and suffer like a worm on a hook for 3 or 4 days but personally, I can't take that shit.

If I was you I'd taper exactly the way this thread says. It works very well.

Btw if your patches are the non gel type they are awesome for tapering by cutting them into progressively smaller pieces. A couple months ago I kicked a 4 bag a day habit with 1 75 and 1 50. took about a month and it did suck, but was bearable. I was able to conduct my life.

Now my tol is down and I get high when I chip.

Good luck."
Dan

i take nowhere near what 99% of the rest of you folks do, other than my weekly patch bender for a day its pretty low

pathofexcess
05-19-2008, 07:07 AM
just wanted to say thanks for this most excellent method. i have been trying different taper methods for a while now and hadn't quite found the sweet spot until reading this. the 1/3 dose seriously works, and used in conjunction with kratom, it has been nearly painless besides the occasional "crazy legs" at night and mild discomfort. beats the hell out of trying to quit cold turkey with benzos, vitamins, and hot baths.

thanks again!

OxyQueen
05-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Yeah this method is the BEST by far...

a few months ago, i was on a little H binge for MONTHs....well shit hit the fan and i told hubby.
We dropped the H and i jumped down to 10mg percs...12 a day stabilized for like 5 or 6 days, cuz that was QUITE A DROP, and then started on the 1/3 cut every 3-5 days. It worked wonders, very minimal w/d symptoms. The key is to let your body adjust.

This was all going good til hubby gave me control of my pill bottle again...oh well...at least i know it works. When they are in my possession FORGET IT...i will come up with any excuse, and tomorrow i'm gonna kick/taper yada yada yada

This week, however, i'm gonna have my fun today, as it is refill day and i go weekly
so i will start the 1/3 drop tomorrow and so on and so forth, and hopefully make it with pills on my refill day next week. THAT WOULD BE A FIRST!!! lol

I was reading the dosing posts too...i am gonna do one big load in the morning when i get up....then a nooner, and then say around 5 or 6...instead of popping 1 or 2 every couple of hours. Really when you do that all you are doing is raising your tolerance. I am FINALLY catching on lol

But as far as this method goes...it WORKS wonderfully. The first and second day of the drop down are a little uncomfortable, but i really do think 90% of it is in my head. I wish there was some study done on just how much of w/d is psychological, meaning our brains tell our body to ..... cuz we know we are in w/d. Cuz when i am busy, or on my way to cop...its amazing how i am all happy and w/d nearly disappear. Is anyone else like that????

Well we will see how this week goes...i got 40 10mg percs today...already popped 3...gonna wait the full 4-6 hours and try to keep busy and THEN dose again....
I'm gonna have to write this out to figure out the best way to make them last. The most painless method that is LOL
Shiiiiitttt i could eat all 40 in 2 days. Usually last me about 4 days, but this week IS gonna be different. I want to get my tolerance down. Although i've just been thru alot in the past few months...gotta keep pressin' on.

Do you think when tapering, it is wise to dose in the middle of the night, to keep opiates in your system round the clock??? I can usually go from like 7 at night til 5 or 6 the next morning. Should i try to incorporate a dose in the middle of the night????? Or just let it be and go the 10 hours like i usually do.
For some reason though, dosing in the middle of the night seems like a waste of drugs to me.
Any advice? I am NOT trying to taper off completely...just trying to get my intake DOWN DOWN DOWN, to a reasonable dosage, say like 5 a day.

Sendonis
06-30-2008, 09:25 PM
I am trying to figure out if this will work with tramadol or if it is too much different than traditional opiates?

irish
06-30-2008, 11:09 PM
It should work for tramadol as well. If not, you may have to wait a little longer between adjustments since it also has similar action to some anti-depressants.

alexnt
09-04-2008, 04:03 AM
I told someone about this method and they are down to 27 mg of perc a day from 90. The next step is to go down to 18. Heres the problem now once down to 18 on the 2nd day the percs will run out and all they can find for now is Lortab. Since oxycodone is stronger than hydrocodone should they adjust the doseage? I said from what ive read they need to stay on 27 for 6 days than go to 18. Anyone have any thoughts on this and if so please let me know

pharmboy
09-04-2008, 05:29 AM
The difference between Oxycodone and hydrocodone isnt that much

maybe 10 - 20 % . I would treat taking the lortabs as another 1/3

decrease. and just go from there. Oh btw I mean Hydo is 10 - 20% weaker

than oxy.

Duckfeet
09-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I'm actually keeping a log here on my desktop, of this taper, as it's the first time in years I tried really hard and consistently to detox off of methadone, and have followed Saint and others...

But if I make it--I'm at 26mg daily, down from 100mg daily--I'll post on here, even tho it's a bit lengthy, it might be of use to others in same boat, who do wish to get off....and if I fail, I will also post that, as it too can be useful...

And also, as always, I recognize that for many, even me, methadone really was lifesaver, so I don't need to get into methadone bashing, as many on here have found their lives much improved for being on daily methadone, and have conquered whatever physical problems might accompany their use...

Well, I'm off to my nooner AA meeting: I'm giving one of my young friends a 60 day token today...and thursdays I secretary the meeting anyway....
Best wishes to all of you...

upstate_007
09-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I'm actually keeping a log here on my desktop, of this taper, as it's the first time in years I tried really hard and consistently to detox off of methadone, and have followed Saint and others...

But if I make it--I'm at 26mg daily, down from 100mg daily--I'll post on here, even tho it's a bit lengthy, it might be of use to others in same boat, who do wish to get off....and if I fail, I will also post that, as it too can be useful...

And also, as always, I recognize that for many, even me, methadone really was lifesaver, so I don't need to get into methadone bashing, as many on here have found their lives much improved for being on daily methadone, and have conquered whatever physical problems might accompany their use...

Well, I'm off to my nooner AA meeting: I'm giving one of my young friends a 60 day token today...and thursdays I secretary the meeting anyway....
Best wishes to all of you...

Have a good time at the meeting Duck.

And I think that a lot of people would benefit from you writing out your taper when you are done and ready to. Of course every person is different and what works for you, well it might not work for someone else. But it would lay out a framework and give some hope that it is possible to get off of methadone.

Wishing the best for you with the taper.

OxyContinuously
09-04-2008, 01:01 PM
<snip>
But if I make it--I'm at 26mg daily, down from 100mg daily--I'll post on here, even tho it's a bit lengthy, it might be of use to others in same boat, who do wish to get off....and if I fail, I will also post that, as it too can be useful...</snip>

Duck, of course you'll make it; as a matter of fact, there's no doubt in my mind, bro! hold your head.:D

HandMeSomeOpiates
09-04-2008, 05:44 PM
You definitely aren't the only one brah.......

Duckfeet
09-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks Oxy: nights are a little blue, once I got beneath 30mg...but I'm still alright, and plugging away...hardest part is just to stay postive about the whole thing...and then I get a little achey...and I ask myself, is this kicking or is it just too much walking and shit? Who knows, but mostly I try to just not rush it, and keep the rest of my life in some kind of good order...and of course, avoid the chiva....and again, I got my life in fairly good order, and away from all the shit that usually drags me back down...

thanks for pos reinforcement, god knows I need it at times...

Duck, of course you'll make it; as a matter of fact, there's no doubt in my mind, bro! hold your head.:D

Oxyphile
11-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Good thread, thanks for the info. I'll keep this in mind next time I want to taper off.

Uncle Wiggly
11-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Being as its been over two years between post #55 & #56 I'm going to put this to sleep.

Goodnight Gracie.