PDA

View Full Version : Craving sweets on opies

GoddessofRATs
06-22-2007, 01:13 PM
I've always wanted to ask this question. How come when I'm on opiates i crave sweets. OMG, i can't get enough chocolate. Not so much any sweets but more so chocolate. Last night i ate half a thing of chocolate frosting and some cookies LOL. I gotta knock that off.

I saw on A&E that Meth addicts crave sweets because they always have a dry mouth. Well, I'm not a meth addict. I do get dry mouth sometimes but when that happens i keep chugging cold water.

Oh and hey, was it a bad idea to use a new picture of myself as an avatar or should i take it down and put something else up? I mean i don't think i know anyone who'd come on here and recoginize me. I hope pain doctors don't come looking threw these to catch patients abusing LOL, huh, wait.. do they? LOL.

If it's a bad idea I'll take it down and put a pic of one of my rats up or something.

Thanks,
Goddess

amurderinblack
06-22-2007, 02:42 PM
I hate when Google won't give me a straight answer ;)

Sugar cravings in people using opiates has been observed since at least the 19th century. My guess is, it's because for some/most people, eating sweets stimulates your brain's pleasure centers, so your body's trying to get more of a good thing :D Could also be because opiate use can cause loss of appetite, so you (that's a general "you") eat less--then when you do eat, your body's craving calories, and it gains calories by making you want sugar. Why chocolate specifically, I don't know.

Does that help at all?

evilfix
06-22-2007, 02:55 PM
im with you there! iv had my romances with Chips Ahoy! chewy kind DUMPED in a big glass of milk. DAMN that is so good.

GoddessofRATs
06-22-2007, 03:09 PM
You know what, i think you are 100 percent right on your answer. That sounds like th right answer to me and it makes perfect sense.

I really need to knock off the sweet eating because i'm gonna gain weight and i refuse to gain weight lol. I'm at a perfect weight right now and i worked hard to get it here. So i am to come up with an alterniitive. Everynight i eat loads of chocolate and icecream. And i rarely eat during the day so your also right about the no apetite thing and needing the extra calories.

GREAT ANSWER!!!

Goddessofrats

I hate when Google won't give me a straight answer ;)

Sugar cravings in people using opiates has been observed since at least the 19th century. My guess is, it's because for some/most people, eating sweets stimulates your brain's pleasure centers, so your body's trying to get more of a good thing :D Could also be because opiate use can cause loss of appetite, so you (that's a general "you") eat less--then when you do eat, your body's craving calories, and it gains calories by making you want sugar. Why chocolate specifically, I don't know.

Does that help at all?

rex24u
06-22-2007, 03:25 PM
I norm,ally don't eat too many sweets/chocolate but when I have a good buzz kickin I 'm CRAVING some chocolate!!!

My Dad's birthday was the other day and someone gave hima chocolate truffle cake. That motherfucker was good!

stringbeanjeans
06-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Here's an interesting article on the subject. It has something to do with the way opiates and sugar trigger the pleasure centers in your brain. Read if you're interested

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/specials/chi-oreo-1,1,7603329.story?page=2

Ale
06-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Any of you ever seen that movie/documentary called "Super Size Me"?This post reminded me of a part of it where a doc. was explaining how full antagonists such as Naloxone are able to completely block the chocolate cravings..he said they tried and administered it to chocolate addicts..ya know..the ones who just can'T go w/o their chocolate daily fix..and surprisingly..they noticed that they would just bite a lil bit of their chocolate bar off and then leave it on the table....they wouldn't just be able to enjoy it as they used to!That went to show that chocolate DOES bind to the opioid receptors in the brain cortex acting as full agonists..producing a very mild..but still effective kinda effect on the brain itself.This info might help explaining the reason causing the cravings for sweets ingeneral..and-more specifically-for chocolate:rolleyes:
Oh..btw..welcome back Goddess!I could be added to the list of the ones who used to enjoy your posts back in the days..nice to see you're back:o

tui
06-22-2007, 06:56 PM
in heroin days i used to live on ben and jerry's.
now i'm clean i can't stand anything sweet. the saltier the better. everything's back to front.

t

Opilover
06-22-2007, 07:24 PM
I've always wanted to ask this question. How come when I'm on opiates i crave sweets. OMG, i can't get enough chocolate. Not so much any sweets but more so chocolate. Last night i ate half a thing of chocolate frosting and some cookies LOL. I gotta knock that off.

I saw on A&E that Meth addicts crave sweets because they always have a dry mouth. Well, I'm not a meth addict. I do get dry mouth sometimes but when that happens i keep chugging cold water.

Oh and hey, was it a bad idea to use a new picture of myself as an avatar or should i take it down and put something else up? I mean i don't think i know anyone who'd come on here and recoginize me. I hope pain doctors don't come looking threw these to catch patients abusing LOL, huh, wait.. do they? LOL.

If it's a bad idea I'll take it down and put a pic of one of my rats up or something.

Thanks,
Goddess

IMO I would use a different avatar you never know who's lurking around here it's for your own good,,and I'm with you on the sweets I really crave anything sweet when I'm on a opie buzz.

GoddessofRATs
06-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Ok, i changed my avatar, you freaked me out lol. I change my avatar all the time though.

Goddessofrats

IMO I would use a different avatar you never know who's lurking around here it's for your own good,,and I'm with you on the sweets I really crave anything sweet when I'm on a opie buzz.

GoddessofRATs
06-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Aww thank you Ale. I'm shocked at how many people missed me. You all are very sweet. It feels good to be back and i ain't leaving this time ok :)

Goddessofrats

Any of you ever seen that movie/documentary called "Super Size Me"?This post reminded me of a part of it where a doc. was explaining how full antagonists such as Naloxone are able to completely block the chocolate cravings..he said they tried and administered it to chocolate addicts..ya know..the ones who just can'T go w/o their chocolate daily fix..and surprisingly..they noticed that they would just bite a lil bit of their chocolate bar off and then leave it on the table....they wouldn't just be able to enjoy it as they used to!That went to show that chocolate DOES bind to the opioid receptors in the brain cortex acting as full agonists..producing a very mild..but still effective kinda effect on the brain itself.This info might help explaining the reason causing the cravings for sweets ingeneral..and-more specifically-for chocolate:rolleyes:
Oh..btw..welcome back Goddess!I could be added to the list of the ones who used to enjoy your posts back in the days..nice to see you're back:o