PDA

View Full Version : Ativan vs. Valium

shaunclo
10-20-2005, 10:30 AM
What is the difference (if any) between Ativan and Valium. I know they are both part of the benzo family, but curious to the different affect they both cause. Is one more addictive than the other, or not?

Zoops
10-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Ativan (lorazepam) - shorter half life; a dose lasts around 6 hours, a big dose would be around 4-6mg or more.

Valium (diazepam) - long half life; a dose lasts around 8 hours (stays in your system and makes you fail a drug test in the benzo category for a least a couple of weeks), and a big dose would be at least 30mg.

Of course people might not feel exactly the same way about that info, it's based on my personal experience, one thing for sure is ativan is more potent mg for mg and a dose valium lasts longer and stays in your system longer.

Both drugs WILL DEFINITELY cause black-outs where you are completely unable to remember what you did during the time you were on it, if taken in larger doses.

Paregoric Kid
10-20-2005, 02:52 PM
as zoop said, ativan has a shorter half life, other than that and dose difference they are very similar. xanax, klonopin, ativan, valium, they all do they same thing, which is make you tired and make you forget the last word/sentence you just said. that stuff is crazy, it's kind of funny but I don't know if I'd call it a good "high." to each their own, but benzos are fucking great for withdrawal and anxiety/panic.

paesan
10-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Benzos are some crazy shit let me tell ya. I've lost whole weeks before on Xanax, fucked up 2 cars, and woke up in the back yard naked on more than one occasion. I personally do not like them unless mixed with an upper, that's when they become fun in my book. I also don't really like uppers unless mixed with an opioid or a downer so there you go.

As for a difference in Ativan and Valium; Valiums are very weak IMO whereas Ativan are closer in strength to Xanax. I personally think Xanax is the Strongest of all benzos even compared to Rohypnol, both of which I've eaten fuckloads of and traveled through time on.

Just my opionion though...

ontario_opiophile
10-21-2005, 02:25 AM
My friends and I took Clonazepam one day when we were driving around, I took 4, 2mg pills and my pals took 2-3 pills each. I don't remember when the drug kicked in but all I know is we drove around for 12+ hours. We ended up in a car accident, my licence was suspended. I went home and my friends were offered a drive home by my mom, they declined because they were high as fuck and they went on their marry way attempting to walk back to their place which is 40 mins away. They never made it. They ended up doing a break and enter in a house that was a 20 minute drive away and totally in the wrong direction of where their town was. They got caught ended up in the Innes road correctional facility. They woke up in seperate cells with people they didnt know with no memory of the crime. They paid for this crime with years of probation. They weren't the type to do this. It was the drugs. They weren't in control. They didnt even know what they were doing. I didnt remember crashing even, or where I had the accident. One time I drank 750ml of fireball whiskey and took 8, 2mg Clonazepam pills. Anyays, I got naked and tried raping all my friends(boy and girl) they almost knocked me out. I drove home in a benzo/alcohol induced stupor, luckily i made it home. I couldnt even walk. I had no memory of the things that happened until my mother told me she confronted me when i made it home and couldnt even walk. My friends confronted me too and told me what I did. I told them never to speak of it again. Two of my friends and me experienced amnesia off a relatively low amount of clonazepam, they ended up in jail, i crashed the car. So be fucking careful. When i took the 8 and the fireball i was just asking for it but i still had amnesia so something leads me to believe that clonazepam is a major memory robbing drug.
If you underestimate benzo's you will do something stupid that you would not normally do. It's inevitable. You will not have control of your body, in fact you wont even be concious in any form during your benzo buzz if you overdo it. You will remember absolutely nothing. It's like it never happened and the devil took over your body.
Lorazepam is stronger than Diazepam. I used to get 1mg sublingual pills (ones that dissolve on or under your tongue) from my psychiatrist. They were good they tasted like nothing. They worked within 5 minutes. I had Ativan brand lorazepam in the hospital, it took longer than the sublinguals to take effect but it did knock me out nonetheless. They are short acting which is nice. Valium is less potent so I'd say 10- 15mg of Valium (diazepam) is about 1mg of Ativan (lorazepam). But this estimate doesnt apply once you take 4-5+ pills of either type. Then my estimate isnt accurate. But in numbers lower than 5 pills of either 1mg of Lorazepam is about equal to 10- 15mg of Diazepam. But thats just from my experience. It's not written in stone. I'm not a doctor so dont go taking a bunch of them using my 1mg to 10- 15mg theory. It all depends on you. No one handles drugs the same way.
XANAX (Alprazolam) IS THE CRACK/COCAINE OF BENZO'S
KLONOPIN (Clonazepam) IS THE METHADONE OF BENZO'S

candy
10-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Hey Shaunclo,
Ativan and Valium are both Benzodiazepines. They potentiate the effects of gamma-aminobutyric acid, a neurotransmitter. Of course as you know they cause depression in the CNS. Valium will suppress the spread of seizure activity, Ativan will not.
Valium has a longer half-life if taken by mouth or given IM, given IV, it's effects are immediate and the duration of the drug only lasts up to 1 hour. Ativan has a longer duration than Valium overall given by all routes of administration. Versed a similar drug, used for conscious sedation causes amnesia. Both Valium and Ativan will cause amnesia taken in larger doses.
Be careful when taking Benzo's with opiates. Both cause CNS depression and most OD's are caused by a combination of depressants and not by opiates alone.

oldschool?
10-21-2005, 03:19 PM
heres a chart for y'all!!
Benzodiazepine Comparisons --sorry i had to delete the "time to peak" and "half life" collums so the chart is easilly readable- it just shows the comperable dosages-a google search should find the whole chart (among others....)

Alprazolam .5
Bromazepam 3.0
Chlordiazepoxide 25
Clonazepam .25
Clorazepate 10
Diazepam 5
Estazolam 1
Flurazepam 15
Halazepam 40
Ketazolam 7.5
Lorazepam 1
Nitrazepam 2.5
Oxazepam 15
Prazepam 10
Quazepam 7.5
Temazepam 10
Triazolam .25

as you can see from the chart 1mg of ativan(lorazepam) is like 5mg diazepam (valium) of course this doesn't account for how long they last...

Zoops
10-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Paesan is right. Benzo's are no good unless combined with some good uppers, and uppers are no good unless combined with a downer, preferably an opie.

Temazepam was my favorite - back in college, I had a shrink convinced that I needed to take 30mg every night. I'd go see him every couple months, and get a couple month's worth. Of course I'd go through all 60 in like a week! Good for trading for other kinds of stuff. Major amnesia.

HeidiW
10-26-2005, 02:33 AM
Dalmane (flurazepam) is my favorite. I'd get 30 mg. per night to go to sleep. I'd love to get ahold of Placidyl, isn't it a benzo?

Zoops
10-26-2005, 08:20 AM
No, Heidi, placyidyl is not a benzo, but it sure is NICE. drool.

It's actually a type of alcohol, no lie, really, it's a chlorinated alcohol derivative, different than ethanol, but an alcohol nonetheless.

psychotiKK
10-29-2005, 12:15 PM
You definately have to be careful when consuming benzodiazepines. I am given a monthly script of Xanax for GAD/SAD. I try to space out my usage as much as possible so I do not become addicted or dependant. Taking only a few of them can be dangerous, as you may not remember taking them in the first place, and continue to take more. I have ended up consuming 13 1mg xanax before I fell into a short coma. I do not remember ANYTHING that happened that day. I could of killed some people (highly unlikely) and not even remember it. That's the scary thing. They are all similar in effect, just some are stronger or last longer then others.