PDA

View Full Version : What can my pharmacist tell my doctor?

betmylife
05-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Today I went to the pharmacy to fill my script, and the pharmacist had a problem. Because I had filled a similar script from a different doctor within a month of my current script, he called my doctor. Also he seemed to have a problem with the quantity of my current script(120 30mg oxycodone tablets). My question is, what is he allowed to disclose to my physician? Can he tell him about my other script, or just confirm that I am allowed to fill my current one? I dont want to cause a problem with my current doc. Any info would be great, thanks

betmylife

Brony
05-12-2007, 07:44 PM
in all honesty I don't know what Florida law is regarding pharmacist-doctor communication.

If the pharmacist wants to be a dick, you're SOL for the most part.

You could always try another pharmacy.

insaneike
05-12-2007, 07:52 PM
why would you risk fucking up with your main doc by getting another scripts of narcotics from another doc before being disclosed from your usual doc??
but yeah. the pharmacist can tell the doc whatever, I'm pretty sure...

later

PaulsGirl45
05-12-2007, 08:34 PM
i had a similar problem with my pharmacist he was able to tell me doctor that i had a script of similar medications and asked him if he still wanted me to be able to get it filled, the doctor said yes sincei was honest with him about the other scripts that i had but i would think that if you werent honest with the doctor about your other scripts he could stop the filling of that one.

~~susie~~

Opilover
05-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Best advice cause I ran into the same problem,if you go to another pharmacy and don't tell them about your current Dr. they can't disclose that info.but if you use the same pharmacy then the Dr can and WILL find out what you are receiving,and also as many on here has stated pay cash on the extra's cause they can trace insurance then your screwed..Thats how it is in Ohio

OpiGuRu729
05-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Yes the Pharmacist can tell your Dr. about the other med's your taking....

Mom
05-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Because I had filled a similar script from a different doctor within a month of my current script, he called my doctor. My question is, what is he allowed to disclose to my physician? Can he tell him about my other script, or just confirm that I am allowed to fill my current one? I dont want to cause a problem with my current doc. Any info would be great, thanks betmylife

Hi Bet,

Here in California, a pharmacist can contact your doctor for any thing he might suspect, including double scripts, double docs, two scripts for meds that are closely related to each other, etc. And yes, he can also tell your doc about any and all meds you have had filled there and what doctor wrote the script. Here in the "Sunny" state, even pharmacy's can talk to each other about scripts that have been filled by a certain person and what they were for. They can also refuse to fill any script they so chose? choose? (UHG!!)

I would suggest that maybe you be VERY careful filling prescriptions from different doctors at different pharmacy's...or even at the same pharmacy for that matter.

Hugz,
Mom

l4l5
05-12-2007, 11:33 PM
yeah 1 doctor, 1 pharmacy, no secrets, is the best thing, especially in USA they are fucking natzis with narcotics

Maniacal Scribble
05-13-2007, 12:55 AM
So . . .

If you get a script filled and for some reason still happen to have the script paper is there a way they would know if you went and got it filled again somewhere else? Like in another state maybe? Is the Dr.s DEA# used to track shit like this or just to show what theyre allowed to perscribe?

tasteuvheaven
05-13-2007, 02:21 AM
Methinks you may have just coined a new drug-speak phrase: the Narcotic Nazis. Luv it!!! lol

Maniacal, I'm not certain, but I think the doc's dea # could forseeably be used to track anything connected to the script. But I seriously doubt anyone would actually do that, unless you were to do or say something to raise suspiscion. I at least would go to another town or county, but I'm not sure that you can fill Cll scripts if they are out of state. Anybody?

I have b4...so i know for sure you can. i moved from baltimore to florida..and filled scripts from baltimore in florida...and then when i moved back i filled all of my refills from florida in baltimore..:)

Euphoricgirl
05-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Ah, yes. Pharmacists love that crap. Anyone they can get in trouble they will. Believe me I know, I speak from experience. A new script for anything over 90 pills and they will call the doc. Sad but true. I had to learn the hard way.

flipside
05-13-2007, 07:37 AM
^^ You got lucky Tastuh..when I went home to visit Dec. I could not have my scripts filled in Bmore. Found out after I transferred my script and then could not have it transferred back. Dr. could not mail one either cause he was not a Maryland MD. So I went on an H binge instead.

As for the pharmacy and your doctor question I think everyone is dead on.

We really need Roxi's professional expertise to answer all the ?? in this thread defintively.

pain-patient
05-13-2007, 10:38 AM
I have b4...so i know for sure you can. i moved from baltimore to florida..and filled scripts from baltimore in florida...and then when i moved back i filled all of my refills from florida in baltimore..:)
If the scripts had refills, how could they be scheduled II, with all due respect? Maybe I am confused and you received Schedule III scripts, which can be filled in states the doc is not licensed in under "full faith and credit" doctrine and reciprocity laws.

antigonemuse
05-13-2007, 08:48 PM
umm, sweety... use another pharmacy chain when pulling this... its called double dipping, and pharmacists are allowed to disclose this since its a "danger to you"

I used to train on hippa laws

everyone should have signed a new memo around two years ago regarding the change in hippa laws. id advise everyone read this closely (even though its dry). all your rights are included. you can request another copy from your pharm if you need to. there are few situtations when your private info can be exchanged. this however is one that can be disclosed.

Brony
05-13-2007, 08:57 PM
So . . .

If you get a script filled and for some reason still happen to have the script paper is there a way they would know if you went and got it filled again somewhere else? Like in another state maybe? Is the Dr.s DEA# used to track shit like this or just to show what theyre allowed to perscribe?

In theory you could. But if i recall correctly a pharmacy is supposed to keep the original copy of a controlled substance script in the pharmacy itself for a certain period of time.

I personally wouldn't try to get it filled again, even though in theory you still have the script. In addition, I wanna say that controlled substances cannot be filled after a certain period of time. By that I meab if you don't filled the original Rx in x amount of time it is no good.

I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

antigonemuse
05-13-2007, 09:25 PM
In theory you could. But if i recall correctly a pharmacy is supposed to keep the original copy of a controlled substance script in the pharmacy itself for a certain period of time.

I personally wouldn't try to get it filled again, even though in theory you still have the script. In addition, I wanna say that controlled substances cannot be filled after a certain period of time. By that I meab if you don't filled the original Rx in x amount of time it is no good.

I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

30 days is the cut off

Maniacal Scribble
05-13-2007, 09:29 PM

I personally wouldn't try to get it filled again, even though in theory you still have the script.

Thats what I'm talking about, still having the original written paper even though the Rx was filled already.

Yeah, I'm thinking its not worth the risk either. Its for such a big quantity and you'd probably get popped by the insurance company if not the pharmacy or doctor.