PDA

View Full Version : Does Acetaminophen make hydrocodone stronger?

boy14dead
03-21-2007, 01:19 AM
So my buddy has 10mg hydrocodone / 660 acetaminophen vicodins, and he also has 10mg hydrocodone / 325 acetaminophen norcos. I know that too much acetaminophen is damaging to the liver, so it is obviously safer to take the norcos, but my question is, would the vicodins have a stronger affect as compared to the norcos due to the increased amount of acetaminophen?

RxQueen
03-21-2007, 01:53 AM
no.

i need to type more...

Chemical_Boy
03-21-2007, 02:20 AM
Hydrocodone and tylenol provide slightly better pain control when taken together than either one would by itself. They make different ratios for different reasons, including that different people respond differently to different ratios.

The tylenol does not increase the recreational value of the hydrocodone.

l4l5
03-21-2007, 02:25 AM
maybe it would be like the OC's how the generics arnt as strong as the name brand, maybe vicodin is better?

OCfenatiq
03-21-2007, 02:25 AM
So my buddy has 10mg hydrocodone / 660 acetaminophen vicodins, and he also has 10mg hydrocodone / 325 acetaminophen norcos. I know that too much acetaminophen is damaging to the liver, so it is obviously safer to take the norcos, but my question is, would the vicodins have a stronger affect as compared to the norcos due to the increased amount of acetaminophen?
Acetaminophen is Tylenol so no it won't make a difference in potency of the hydrocodone, however Vicodin Brand generally hits harder than other brands so I would go with those. You may not be able to tell anyways but I think it is the inactive ingr. they use and its not packed as tight or something. Seems better to me, take it for what it is...if you get the Norcos just break in half before swallowing...

Skript
03-21-2007, 03:44 AM
I know all the acetaminophen fucks your liver up but hydros hit me a lot harder with more acetaminophen in it.. i would take 6 5/500s over 3 norcos anyday, unless ive been eating a shitload of em already. Just seems to potentiate the hydro more or maby im just feeling the acetaminophen.

Babydollangel
03-21-2007, 04:09 AM
For some strange reason the Vintage brand of norcos are hard as HELL to break ....watson brand norcos, alot softer, easier to break ! Ive always wondered why this is.....I USE to think the norcos were strongest, back in the day where 1/2 (omg i sooo misss them days..lol) would knock me outta my socks for a coupla hours....now when i have norcos I will sometimes on purpose throw in a couple tylenols...stupid i know but someone once convinced me they were weaker with less apap....NOW, the 10/660's I try to keep track of very carefully....even keep a peice of paper in my kitchen with how many i have taken to watch the apap....with norco, dont even think a thing about taking 5, 6 or hell 10 at once !

blenderqueen
03-21-2007, 04:27 AM
I find the tylenol does make them stronger & potentiates the hydro. that is why in the old days the Dr's used to tell you to take an extra tylenol with your /percocet/ T3 whatever b/c it would make it kick in better. years ago before all the liver damage stuff came out of course;)

I think it has something to do with helping to open up the receptors in your brain. At least for me for example a percocet is definately more euphoric than a plain oxy IR & a hydro 10/500 is better than 10/325 etc etc. JMHO of course...........

OCfenatiq
03-21-2007, 04:08 PM
I find the tylenol does make them stronger & potentiates the hydro. that is why in the old days the Dr's used to tell you to take an extra tylenol with your /percocet/ T3 whatever b/c it would make it kick in better. years ago before all the liver damage stuff came out of course;)

I think it has something to do with helping to open up the receptors in your brain. At least for me for example a percocet is definately more euphoric than a plain oxy IR & a hydro 10/500 is better than 10/325 etc etc. JMHO of course...........
I haven't heard that apap helps hydro to kick in harder, but I guess it could be possible. I was always under the assumption that some brands are better than others because of the inactive ingredients in them as well as how hard they are packed. Like Babydollangel mentioned the Norco Brand pills are hard as hell to break in half, this is true because they are packed very hard. However if you've had a bottle of Vicodin take the pills out and look at the inside walls of the bottle, it is all powdery since they are packed very loose therefore break down faster in your stomach and this can lead it to hit harder for sure (this is also true with Watson generic, my personal favorite generic for hydros). When I have Norcos I have to chew 'em up to get a good reaction, but Vicodin you can just take 'em (or you can still break in half based on preference).

Tylenol is added to these for 2 reasons: 1) to aid in pain relief 2) so they aren't abused as much because of the damaging effects apap can cause.

**Side Note: Before acetaminophen (Tylenol) was ever on the market for pain relief, it was used during war times to kill people (obviously in extremely high doses), but this is true that in a very high dose it will cause liver failure which is fatal. It would take 15-25 grams to be fatal in a single dose, but taking high doses for years can still cause severe liver damage as shown here...

http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN0824708113&id=0-34BdtawFwC&pg=PA328&lpg=PA328&ots=3hKjjg21XB&dq=fatal+dose+of+acetaminophen&sig=DyQF6dWuw5m5ve7XAcT2AjUtjO4