PDA

View Full Version : Oh shit, needle broke off in my arm

oxydose
03-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Was fucking spiking and a damn needle broke off in my arm (USE NEW NEEDLES GUYS, DONT BE A STUPID OXYDOSE). I'm not sure whether or not I was in a vein, the needle didn't draw back any blood, but the needle broke, not sure when, could of been before a register point.

What the fuck should I do about this? Keep a eye on it and watch for infections I'm sure about, if I see any do you all think I should immediatly goto the ER? What do you think they would do btw?

I'm a fucking idiot, use new needles people. And if any you are "using" show any sign of ware then its time to throw them out. I'm stupid....

tonyk
03-19-2007, 10:07 PM
are you sure some of the metal is under the skin?

oxydose
03-19-2007, 10:11 PM
It appears the whole needle tip has broken off inside, needle are 1cc SunMark brand insulin needles..

tonyk
03-19-2007, 10:12 PM
If the tip broke off IN the vein, that's a problem. But it probably broke off in the muscle, as the vein is soft & you said you had no flashback of blood. If it is just in the muscle, scar tissue will form around it quickly & it will either fester to the surface like a splinter or gather more scar tissue & just BE there forever without causing a problem.

tonyk
03-19-2007, 10:13 PM
I would just watch it for poss. infection & skip the ER visit for now.

tonyk
03-19-2007, 10:17 PM
If the needle is within the muscle you'd be surprised how much it can move. As your muscles flex & you move your arm the little piece of metal can slide all over the place. A Dr. wouldn't try to cut & find it cause of that reason.

BizzyBone
03-19-2007, 10:18 PM
That fucking suckz my friend if it isnt in a vvein i would try to pop or cut it out some way like a splinter but if ur not sure u might need to get it checked just all depends on how far its in there and how thick your arms are you never know u should deff. get it checked out but i would go about it the idiot way

Black_Pony
03-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Can you feel it? Is it really LOST?

BizzyBone
03-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Wow i never thought of it like that but its true
If the needle is within the muscle you'd be surprised how much it can move. As your muscles flex & you move your arm the little piece of metal can slide all over the place. A Dr. wouldn't try to cut & find it cause of that reason.

AWOL
03-19-2007, 10:28 PM
a very sensetive metal detector can locate it

oxydose
03-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Its so low that I can't feel it, I was digging deep to hit a vein thats pretty easy but sorta abscessed a bit ATM.

Also after pulling out no blood poured out of the whole, which I usually take as a sign that I've hit, but so poorly that I can't properly register it.

Theres no way its coming out like a "splinter", and I don't see myself cutting the arm on the back of my elbow to try and retrieve it. What should I watch out for, so basically if it isn't in a muscle, besides obvious signs of bad shit going on, I should be okay and live w/o loosing an arm?

Fuck me, I'm tripping out about this. BTW, It doesn't hurt what so ever and I can't feel it.

antigonemuse
03-19-2007, 10:32 PM
oh the horror

shiver:speechles :speechles :sad-smile

Black_Pony
03-19-2007, 10:34 PM
The chance of getting(cutting) it out, either by a professional or not, will decrease the longer you wait (one day, two days). If you want it out, I suggest you do it now or never...

tonyk
03-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Its so low that I can't feel it, I was digging deep to hit a vein thats pretty easy but sorta abscessed a bit ATM.

Also after pulling out no blood poured out of the whole, which I usually take as a sign that I've hit, but so poorly that I can't properly register it.

Theres no way its coming out like a "splinter", and I don't see myself cutting the arm on the back of my elbow to try and retrieve it. What should I watch out for, so basically if it isn't in a muscle, besides obvious signs of bad shit going on, I should be okay and live w/o loosing an arm?

Fuck me, I'm tripping out about this. BTW, It doesn't hurt what so ever and I can't feel it.

Just watch to see if there is any redness (excessive) or heat or if it starts to hurt. Otherwise just leave it alone. I think the verdict is that you will live. If it had broke off in the vein you would already be dead by now of an embolis to the heart. That's why I didn't mention that at first.

Cellardoor
03-19-2007, 10:43 PM
It really all depends on where it is, and how big it is. I would suggest you see a doctor and have it removed. But it is possible for it to stay in your arm and never give you trouble. It is also possible for it to become infected and... well I'm sure you can imagine. Just watch for signs of swelling, pain, and discoloration. As an acupuncturist, if a needle breaks off, it's no question, we send the patient to the ER. Reusing needles is really a bad idea. I know everybody is already aware of this, but here is a good pic to see the damage caused by reusing needles.

oxydose
03-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Just watch to see if there is any redness (excessive) or heat or if it starts to hurt. Otherwise just leave it alone. I think the verdict is that you will live. If it had broke off in the vein you would already be dead by now of an embolis to the heart. That's why I didn't mention that at first.

haha, I guess I should feel better from that then.

Thanks for the advise guys, its really appreciated. I guess I'm going to watch over it hoping it won't turn purple or green and keep it as a part of me. Or loose a arm, oh well. I'll keep you guys posted if you all show any interest in knowing my arms/veins outcome. bye thanks peace

OCfenatiq
03-20-2007, 01:48 AM
haha, I guess I should feel better from that then.

Thanks for the advise guys, its really appreciated. I guess I'm going to watch over it hoping it won't turn purple or green and keep it as a part of me. Or loose a arm, oh well. I'll keep you guys posted if you all show any interest in knowing my arms/veins outcome. bye thanks peace
It might sound stupid but if it does make its way to the surface like a splinter even a little, get a strong magnet and get that sucker out. I have no idea if this would actually work but may be worth a shot...

mrbigsexy
03-20-2007, 03:59 AM
I would say try to remove it. A 1 CC needle can't be that big and couldn't have broken that far under the skin.

If it broke in a vein you'd probably be dead by now so not to worry there.

But don't leave it under your skin, just imagine all the annoying little damage it will do sliding around there. If the thing has anything on it it'll turn into a bad sepsis and you'll have to deal with a painful and ugly lump of puss under the skin. If you haven't already, refrain from moving your (whatever limb it was inserted into) as it'll probably move someplace.

One time some burlgar (not the hamburglar) was at the backdoor and I woke up and was pissed and stepped out onto the broken glass he had made and was all belligerent and shouting. I didn't notice it at the time cuz I was pissed, but I got some glass in my feet. I took most of it out later with a small knife, but I think there is one piece that remains in to this day as it has a large skin callous over the area where it is.

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on drugbuyers.com. If you can tough it out without damaging yourself too much, and it's just under the skin, you may consider the use of a knife and some light incisions, nothing beyond the fatty layer preferably. The outer layer of skin isn't that important anyway as it will heal up pretty good and with some proper antiseptic and suture strips you should be fine. At worst case a bottle of vodka and some duct tape will suffice. Unless you lost it deep in your muscle tissue in which case I wouldn't recommend cutting that, you would then need to goto a doctor.

I know this suggestion may seem whack, but it reminds me of my own situation and I don't like the idea of a foreign object just floating around inside me. Of course it's always better to go to a doctor.

Woowoo
03-20-2007, 04:41 AM
This thread has me freaked out, this is some scary shit. I would seriously be thinking E.R. or at least a hospital visit. I'm not a doctor and I'm not going to give you any medical breakdown of the situation, but just think about the hazards of having a piece of metal in your bloodstream! Maybe it's just a big metal splinter and its nowhere near your bloodstream--at least you better hope. What if it's inside a vein and moved a few inches and got hung up on something? You get bumped the wrong way and it starts to move again?

This is not good at all. Obviously you MUST get that fucker out of your body ASAP.

devilsdrug
03-20-2007, 08:32 AM
get a pair needlenose pliers and dig around i mean wtf

OxyContinuously
03-20-2007, 09:14 AM
get a pair needlenose pliers and dig around i mean wtf

Yeah, Oxydose, DD has got a good idea. Like a Leatherman pliers, or if you need something, skinnier, an Electrician's plier (3 bucks from radio shack).
You're not going to die or anything like that. It is *not* in your vein, and i can tell you this unequivocally, cause you didn't bleed to death, and you are still alive (that was a joke; sorry it might have been in bad taste, considering, LOL ;) )
All jokes aside, Oxy, take a good look at the area and make sure it is not reddened, or infected, or swollen. Like people were saying (the guy with a piece of glass in his foot--i forgot his name, but he was right) if it doesn't come to the top like a splinter, then scar tissue will form around it, and that could be a little painful, albeit relatively benign. Keep an eye on it, please, and i would say if it doesn't surface, or if you are not able to remove it, go to the Emergency Room. They will definitely be able to take it out. mark my words, a Number 11 scalpel, a few CC's of Lidocaine local anesthetic, 10 minutes or so, a layer of Betadine, and you will be on your way. Don't let it slide, though. It's not 100%, but there is a chance that it may become infected, so check it out.
Hope that helped out, and oh yeah, don't bug out about losing your arm and shit a la "Requiem for a Dream." You should be okay, just keep on top of this, and try to get it out of your arm/muscle/subcutaneous layer of fat as soon as you can.

later and good luck

Oxy

roxi*stardust
03-20-2007, 02:48 PM
This thread has me freaked out, this is some scary shit. I would seriously be thinking E.R. or at least a hospital visit. I'm not a doctor and I'm not going to give you any medical breakdown of the situation, but just think about the hazards of having a piece of metal in your bloodstream! Maybe it's just a big metal splinter and its nowhere near your bloodstream--at least you better hope. What if it's inside a vein and moved a few inches and got hung up on something? You get bumped the wrong way and it starts to move again?

This is not good at all. Obviously you MUST get that fucker out of your body ASAP.
Yikes me too. I want to puke now!! I'm freaking out for him. I would be at the ER in a hot minute.

oxydose
03-20-2007, 03:02 PM
It really all depends on where it is, and how big it is. I would suggest you see a doctor and have it removed. But it is possible for it to stay in your arm and never give you trouble. It is also possible for it to become infected and... well I'm sure you can imagine. Just watch for signs of swelling, pain, and discoloration. As an acupuncturist, if a needle breaks off, it's no question, we send the patient to the ER. Reusing needles is really a bad idea. I know everybody is already aware of this, but here is a good pic to see the damage caused by reusing needles.

Ok, the morning after. No new swelling that I can see, no redness, hurting or any of that mess. The needle was a 1cc with short tipped spike, about a inch I'd say.

I really don't want to have to see a doctor about it, I had a overdose around New Years so i'm supposed to be drug free, or at least off the fucking needle.

I'll keep a eye on it, I really don't think I hit a vein, and someone stated above that If I had, then I'd be dead by now anyways. Can anyone else confirm this?

Eh @ that pic, this rig was definitely overdue to be thrown out, I was a fool using it. I just hope to god that it works out (not the needle, I mean the health of my arm). Point taken pal, no more IV injections for me until I get new needles, thanks for showing me that picture.

RoadHead
03-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Ok, the morning after. No new swelling that I can see, no redness, hurting or any of that mess. The needle was a 1cc with short tipped spike, about a inch I'd say.

I really don't want to have to see a doctor about it, I had a overdose around New Years so i'm supposed to be drug free, or at least off the fucking needle.

just keep an eye on the area and if you notice anything getting worse, then you can choose if you want to see the doc. if in doubt though, see the doc.

i still have grenade fragments working their way out of my legs and back from 35 years ago so yeah, you can survive with pieces of foreign material in your body. as long as it is not rubbing against a vein, you should be fine as long as you keep an eye on it.

if you have any antibiotics you can get your hands on you should take some after making sure they won't cause a reaction with what drugs you may be taking.

one more thing, stay away from the worn out rigs. no high is worth putting your life in that kind of danger.

good luck and be safe.

repeek
03-20-2007, 07:35 PM
I can’t imagine it would be very difficult to remove, just sounds like you may need another set of eyes to help you out if it is on the back of your arm near the elbow. I would want to get it out, an exacto knife, a needle and some tweezers should do the trick. It should be easy enough to find with a little pressure from a finger. A small puncture with the exacto find it with the needle and extract it with the tweezers.

Nathan
03-20-2007, 11:37 PM
WT fuck man? Go to the fuckinn ER and let a proffessional deal with it. Who gives a fuck what they think. You probably wouldn't be the first person they dealt with whp had this happen.

Cellardoor
03-20-2007, 11:41 PM

I'll keep a eye on it, I really don't think I hit a vein, and someone stated above that If I had, then I'd be dead by now anyways. Can anyone else confirm this?

Eh @ that pic, this rig was definitely overdue to be thrown out, I was a fool using it. I just hope to god that it works out (not the needle, I mean the health of my arm). Point taken pal, no more IV injections for me until I get new needles, thanks for showing me that picture.

Yes if it hit a vein, you would be in serious trouble by now. I would NOT recommend trying to remove it yourself. Unless you can feel it or see it under the skin and it's very close to the surface. Then you could remove it like you would a splinter. If you try and remove it yourself, you might open the skin further then you intended. Or deeper. This would then require you to get stitches. Then you would have to go to the ER anyways. Just leave it alone for now. And monitor it closely.

Chipper
03-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Just got back in after a few days off - this thread is somewhat disturbing, alright. I never knew that this could actually happen. If injecting wasn't such a questionable practice I would consider suing the syringe company!

What guage was it? (I use 26 and 27 guages only)

repeek
03-21-2007, 06:12 PM
It is a piece of metal something like 28-30 gauge ¼ - ½ inches long, which is an easy find. I would be embarrassed to go to an ER to remove a splinter and this is not much more than that. Even easier to deal with because one splinter can turn into several when dealing with wood, but that won’t happen with metal.

I can’t believe no one here has lanced an abbess, cut out a seed wart or stopped the bleeding of a wound that would have required stitches if we had gone to an ER for assistance.

I don’t mean to make light of anyone’s attempt at harm reduction, but sometimes a mountain is made from a mole hill. Let’s not be so quick to send someone to the ER and (from my experience) a $2000 bill or more to remove a splinter.

Don’t get me wrong, if needed get professional medical assistance, but if it something you can safely do by yourself or with the assistance of a friend, at least consider doing it yourself.

If IV drug use is something you plan on doing in the future some amount of self assistance is going to need to happen now and again.

WarmCyanide
03-21-2007, 06:23 PM
use magnet shavings on skin. got a hammer?

noahzark
03-21-2007, 06:31 PM
When Howard Hughes died in 1976 they found many broken needles in his body.

Hughes died on April 5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_5), 1976 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976), while on an airplane owned by Robert Graf, en route from his penthouse in Acapulco, Mexico (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acapulco) to The Methodist Hospital (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Methodist_Hospital) in Houston. It has also been argued that he died before leaving Mexico. His reclusive activities and drug use had made him practically unrecognizable; his hair, beard, fingernails (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingernail), and toenails (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toenail) had grown grossly long, his once-strapping 6'4" frame now weighed barely 90 lbs, and the FBI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Bureau_of_Investigation) had to resort to fingerprints (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerprint) to identify the body.
A subsequent autopsy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autopsy) noted kidney failure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renal_failure) as the cause of death. Hughes was in extremely poor physical condition at the time of his death; X-rays revealed broken-off hypodermic needles still embedded in his arms and severe malnutrition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malnutrition). The first doctor to examine him diagnosed the cause of Hughes' death as neglect. He argued that Hughes' Mormon constituents and guards allowed and even promoted his death.[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources)] While his kidneys were damaged, his other internal organs were deemed perfectly healthy.
Hughes is buried in the Glenwood Cemetery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenwood_Cemetery_%28Houston%2C_Texas%29) in Houston (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston%2C_Texas)

mrbigsexy
03-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Ok, ok, maybe I'm over-exagerating the instant-death by a needle floating around in your vein.

But don't let tat needle jus sit there, do something about it!

It's just nasty. The thoughts of some little broken piece of metal floating through your arteries and veins, getting stuck in some small bend someplace until you move that part of your body and *poke*, another hole somewhere in your foot. Then float, float, float some more up to the kidneys, stuck, bend over and *poke*, another hole there. Then float, float, float some more up to the brain and *poke* a hole there, then over to the heart . . . you get my drift. I doubt you would even feel that, but you might just feel random small *pokes* around your body if it's in the bloodstream.

Jeez! What a creepy thread, makes me think twice. But really, how old was that needle? I haven't seen a needle break randomly like that without some careless and sudden whack in the opposite direction.

I think about the needle tip and it reminds me of the rusty exhaust heads on my 2.3L Mustang, almost completely rusted through. I hope you're up to date on your TB shots.

oxydose
03-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Guys its not like the needle is sticking out of my arm, If so I'd of done pulled that SOB out. But it doesn't seem like a good idea to me to be cutting my arm up w/ veins close by. I can't feel it what so ever. I was trying to push deep with a old needle, bad idea. It broke leaving no trace of anything that can be felt.

Arm seems to be doing good though, some abscesses that where already there before the needle broke have went down. Jeez I know that sounds horrible, and it really is. That what I get for using wore out needles, swore arms and a piece of needle in my arm. It doesn't bother me unless it poses serious issues to my health/limbs.

Like stated earlier I'm just now getting trusted again by my family, and this would look fucking horrible. I overdosed the 3rd of January this year, coma for 4-5 days, then psych ward for 4-5. Almost lost my hearing, which luckily came fully back. Its just not something I'd be able to talk my way out of, I'd be the idiot who does stuff that almost kills him. BTW I have a TXT file I wrote up for &TOTSE talking about my overdose/psych ward stay/recovery, I could post it here if anyone is interested in reading it.

HeidiW
03-21-2007, 10:00 PM
If I broke a needle off in MY arm, I'd be consulting a Dr.

No question about it. use an alias and tell the hospital people you lost your ID and give them false info.
(about your address, phone #, and shit)

candy
03-22-2007, 06:06 PM
First off, if the needle did break off in the vein it is not going to flow freely through your system.
So you injected the needle into your skin, got a blood return, injected and as you pulled out it broke off?

I would say that if that needle is nestled in some vein somewhere it will begin to give you some trouble at some point and the only way I could imagine them going in to take it out would be through something like an angiogram or if in a deep vein, opening it up and taking it out surgically.

It obviously becomes your choice, but if you are absolutely sure the needle broke off in your arm, I would seek medical attention and forget what anyone thinks.

It may not present a problem now, but at some point I imagine your body will recognize it as a foreign object and attack . THis is where the inflammation, redness, and that sort of thing comes in to play.

IN the future I would avoid any needles used more than once. This shouldn't happen with a new needle, but I have seen it happen with needles used over and over, bent this way and that.

This is just what I know and only sharing my opinion, but let us know how things go.
Be well

Cellardoor
03-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Later in life your body will build tissue around the needle. Creating a lump of scar tissue. This may cause muscular problems. Other than that, it should be fine. I highly doubt it's in your vein. And it's not going to just float down your vein like a stream to organs. It's metal, it can't bend around the twists and turns of veins. Besides, veins go straight to your heart. Arteries go away from the heart to the organs. The needle would naturally work it's way out of the vein. It has sharp edges and pressure forcing it out of the vein. A side note : In korean acupuncture, they insert permanent golden needles as a regular practice. They get left under the skin about 3 cm, permanently. So someone can live with needles in them all their lives.