PDA

View Full Version : Needle Marks

Dr Benway
07-05-2005, 10:30 AM
I started developing some years ago dark, almost black, needle marks . The first came after about four years shooting into the same place (I had perfect iv veins). It looks like scar tissue but after continual fixing eventually becomes a bluey, then dark line. Iv got 'em on my inner elbows, wrists and a couple of other places. They begin as dots and grow into thick black lines about an inch or two long.

Does anybody else get this kinda scarring? Its a bit of a give away in summer t-shirts.

Peripat
07-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Yup. And it's a total bastard where I live, too (the weather is such that nine months of the year or more is t-shirt weather)...

Ogre
07-05-2005, 03:41 PM
About 80% of the time for the last five years I hit in the inner elbow of my left arm (I'm right handed)...the vein's never collasped or given me any trouble but I do have one nasty nasty scar. Most of the time I have to put makeup on it to hid it.

floger
07-05-2005, 03:59 PM
I try to move with each injection. But I don't get coloring of the site. Mine is a raised site that looks like a scar. If I stay away from that site for a few weeks it is gone.

Boy I understand the look though so I end up with long sleeves

shinobi
07-06-2005, 03:14 AM
i have long sleves, but not to cover up needle scars, but other scars. I always chose to shoot into my weist (sp?) occasionaly my left arm (im ambi-dextrouse though so i can do eather :P) but the weist is good, the general public dont look there very oftern.

candy
07-11-2005, 06:03 PM
The best way to avoid needle marks is to alternate sites and use a new needle if you can each time. What will cause scarring is a dull needle, especially if you are injecting in the same spot each time. Make sure you clean the spot you are injecting into before the injection. Use a tourniquet! Using a good skin lotion such as aloe vera or something with vit E is a good idea to use a couple of times a day. This will help to prevent scarring.If your having trouble finding veins, for anyone interested, try taking a warm shower or applying a hot compress to the area, this will help bring the veins to the surface. Also anything that raises the blood pressure will help bring the viens to the surface. As I said, one of the best ways to help decrease scarring is to alternate sites with each injection and to use a new needle each time.

Dr Benway
07-13-2005, 06:42 AM
Ahh, blunt needles. I dont do it now but I use to re-use my works all the time. Too lazy to get down the exchange so Id use 'em until I couldent get 'em in my skin. It was like using a blunt nail sometimes. I guess it tears the skin rather than cut it. I aint got many veins left now, which I s'pose is payment for them blunt works. Oh well.:(

blackdog
07-17-2005, 02:03 PM
:D some of us and i concur look forward to the just slightly used syringe, so as to allow the plunger to stay when you pull/draw back and load up with blood then switch hand position to push the plunger in ya know whut i'm saying folk's ????????

floger
07-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks so much for this post

I have always used my needles 2 times even 3. I just did not believe that one use could make the needle duller.
My veins Thank you

bi11i
07-17-2005, 10:08 PM
anyone ever sharpen their points on the back of a matchbook?

Peripat
07-18-2005, 02:00 AM
:D some of us and i concur look forward to the just slightly used syringe, so as to allow the plunger to stay when you pull/draw back and load up with blood then switch hand position to push the plunger in ya know whut i'm saying folk's ????????

Blackdog, I suggest changing your brand of syringe if you find that that's the case. I found that to be a problem with B&D brand 1ml insulin syringes, but Terumo brand are a lot easier to draw back with and thus are far preferable for use by IV drug users.

Dr Benway
07-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Iv not used a matchbox to sharpen my works, but I guess it works. Iv heard a bout it being done in prison. I guess you've done it Billi? Does it work?

blackdog
07-19-2005, 12:51 AM
oh yes the old sharpen the point of your sharps trick used many times when you just know theres a good fat pipe under that big nasty scab under your skin broke a few points and had to get the old needlenose ta grab it back out .now has anyone expierienced the horror story of the person who broke there point off and it went and traveled up there arm to there heart or whatever variation of this story u may have heard . talk to me
and oh yeah matchbook/box even a wet stone will work to sharpen yer point see one of the basic problems is the point folds over (the very tip like a baloney cut)and so ya got make it good ta go peace da/dogg

milky
08-02-2005, 03:47 PM
After I'd been using for a year or so and the nice buzz I used to get was a long gone memory, I decided it was time to start hitting up. Luckily, (?) my arms were quite chubby and my veins were invisible, so it took me or anyone else who wanted a go about half an hour to get me. I've been in hospital a few times and nurses have given up!
So, back to the question in hand:- No, I don't have track marks, but 7/8 years of "tooting" have left my teeth pretty shitty.

HeidiW
10-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Bi11i, your mention of a matchbook brought back rotten memories. I was on house arrest for 6 weeks the first first time I was waiting to go to the pen. I used the SAME 2 rigs those entire 6 weeks EVERY day, sharpening them with a matchbook! :sad-smile

shaunclo
10-31-2005, 04:56 PM
Blackdog, I am a little comfused as to what you mean. Are you saying that your needle broke off in your arm? And you needed needle-nose pliers to get it out?? huh??

candy
11-10-2005, 10:10 AM
I have never heard of the needle breaking off and traveling, but I have heard of it breaking off. This generally happens with old rigs. especially if the needle has been bent before.
And ahh...The old matchbook! I have done this myself and it is a bitch. There is nothing like a new rig! But in desperate times, we do desperate things.
I knew a guy who used to get his rigs from some veterinarian and the needles were were huge. We are talking 12 gauge. These damn things were used on horses. The hole those needles left and the scars this guy had. Dude used to treat himself with atibiotics used on animals as well.
I myself try not to use the needle more than a few times and yes after a few runs the plunger does stay put!
I do have those ugly black scars.
For anyone interested in getting rid of bruising, try using arnica gel or cream...It is great at getting rid of bruising and it is cheap. They also come in a tab form.
For scarring, use a vitamin E cream. It is a bit more expensive, but will help.

blackdog
06-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Blackdog, I am a little comfused as to what you mean. Are you saying that your needle broke off in your arm? And you needed needle-nose pliers to get it out?? huh??

Yo i was looking in these archives and found this gem
yeah bud i had some spots that i continualy hit and so it built up plenty of scar tissue underneath the skin and so i would hjave to push real hard to get the point thru the scab and sometimes the point would come loose off the syringe barrell and be a bitch to get back out ....lol
better late then never on this reply huh ??? lol

da/dawgg:cool:

Lil_Miss_Brownstone
06-18-2006, 02:13 PM
I have a little blueish-black spot on my wrist in a spot where i used to hit. I've seen a couple of those on other people. maybe it is from burning the needle to clean or unclog it?

poppy
06-18-2006, 04:45 PM

I think that's what they used to do when they used glass rockets, before the relatively easy needle exchanges we know today

superman
06-19-2006, 02:20 AM

i know what you're saying, but let me suggest this:
when inserting the syringe, hold the white plunger part between your index and thumb. have these fingers right against the top of the syringe. now when you are ready to flag you can do so by simply rolling you index and thumb such that they press against the top of the syringe and allow you to pull enough for a flag. now there is no fancy switcharoo involved in pushing the plunger: you simply hold the syringe with your thumb and middle finger, freeing your index to push the plunger.

all the while having the pinky side of your hand braced against your arm for stability
================================
Have i ever sharpened points with a matchbook? fuck ya way too many times. works great in a pinch. if you have 3 fits and some peroxide you can keep a cycle going, use a fit, sharpen it, fill with peroxide, let sit to sterilize. then you rinse away any filing and the peroxide before use again.

I remember having some poinst that i'd sharpened, cleaned and reused so many times all the writing was worn off.

shaunclo
06-19-2006, 01:11 PM
I remember having some poinst that i'd sharpened, cleaned and reused so many times all the writing was worn off.

Shiiiiit holmie, been there done that. I couldnt even see how many cc's I was using anymore cause the typing on the syringe was all gone.

candy
06-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Lil miss that black mark is from injecting. I once was told by a doc that it is from repeated injections in the same spot from breaking small capillaries that leads to the the mark.
Unlike an IV left in for fluids, where a catheter stays in to keep the vein open. Repeated attempts at injecting will lead to a breakdown in the skin's integrity and scar tissue which may come from the repeated attempts and the breaking of capillaries under the skins surface.

I have been putting retin-a on a few I have and they are lightening up. Just did it on a whim and it is working!

thbronze
06-19-2006, 02:44 PM

tried it-didn't seem to work marks i can deal with its when an infection happens,and it swells up an inch or so right in the nook of my arm,a little harder to explain,chainsaw acc. believe was excuse,

superman
06-20-2006, 01:19 PM
"tried it-didn't seem to work"

it does work wqell, the trick is to have the bevel extactly flat agains the striker, you don't want to change the angle at all. apply a fair bit of pressure using your index finger to press against the needle (near the tip so as to prevent it from bending much). place the piont at the edge of the striker, and now with the right amount of pressure, draw back 4/5 times, STERILIZE, rinse, and now you have a point that feels like it's been used 1-2 times.

"marks i can deal with its when an infection happens,and it swells up an inch or so right in the nook of my arm"

you are obviously using an unsterile technique. i have slammed 1000s of time and never gotten an infection. i suggest you RE-READ the IDU SAFE INJECTION MANUAL and follow it to a T. once you get into the habit of using safe technique, it becomes easy. carry your alcohol in a smaller container, just enuf for 3 days swabbing, carry cottons already removed from the q-tip (torn off with clean hands), stored in a sterile container. everything you need can fit itno a very small case, i used the case from a car stereo face plate.

from what you say i can already assume (possibly wrongly, no offense) that you already have hepatitis. proper technique can prevent such diseases.

uhhhmm... excuse the rant

candy
06-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Superman,
I think most of us have tried the match book technique to sharpen points, but I just don't recommend it. The best way to prevent scarring is to use a new needle every time and I know that is not possible for all, but does it say anywhere in the book about sharpening needles? Not being sarcastic, just asking!
Using clean techniques is always the best bet and as someone who works in harm reduction, I know all too well what can happen and unless someone is sharing needles or other equipment than their chances of Hep C are high. I recommend anyone who injects to be tested. How many don't necessarily share needles, but share water with friends or those they get high with. Bet many do and some use the same water to rinse as they do to cook with!

superman
06-20-2006, 02:30 PM
candy: yes it does describe how to sharpen your point in the IDU safe injection manual (maybe if i keep repeating this title people will be encouranged to download it?). but it also says that sharpening is no substitute for a new needle. but sometimes people run out of fits, whether it be cuz they're fuct up government won't let them be purchased, or because you're just too far from the pharmacy. I live 1.5 hours away from the place i get mine, and sometimes i finish my box of 100 before i plan on going to get more. in which case the last 5 points i'll sharpen every other use, and sterilize after every use.

you're right about the water, just recently i was partying with some shooters in edmonton and they had no idea what they were doing, none swabbed(though i see this a lot), they were sharing water, reusing fits, rinsing with the shared water. and one guy even admitted to having hepatitis.

I must say my first impression says people are far less knowledgable in alberta than in ontario. maybe it's the lack of needle exchanges and rehab facilities, the right-wing prohibitionist attitude, or just my limitied yiew of the scene. I actually had a pharmacist refuse to sell me needles!!!! how fucked up is that! IMO alberta's drug scene is heading the way of the US. meth craze is going full force, just wait till these fucking idiots drive the meth cooks to give up on using pills, then we'll see a REAL meth epidemic

candy
06-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Yeah, your right it does. Have not used the manual in quite some time and unfortunately most of the folks I see are homeless or have no internet access or just don't want to bother with it!
It is unfortunate that our government does not allow access to those who need the clean equipment and needles and where I live in California, unless you live in and around the Bay Area you cannot walk into a pharmacy and buy needles. I have tried myself in Los Angeles and Orange County and they just won't do it without a prescription. We do have needle exchange in Los Angeles but not in other areas of Southern California where there is a need.
In my own experience as a nurse, needle exchanges and harm reduction programs, especially those aimed at peer to peer type education have decreased the amount of new infections of HIV/Hep C. And not only do they provide needles, but they generally have a ton of info on everything. Prevention is the key and I certainly don't want to ramble on about that, but all the research has shown that Harm Reduction programs do play a huge role in the decrease of new infections each year.
If you look at the costs of healthcare for those with AIDS and HepC that is paid by State and Federal governments, it is in the 100s of millions, but institute programs that can be run with little overhead and volunteers and the government backs away. No local politician should be able to make a decision on whether or not he will allow a needle exchange in his city and in many cities that really desperately need one, it is the local governing body who goes against this.
Recent research done by the CDC has shown that Needle Exchanges/Harm Reduction programs do not promote drug use, but actually have been shown to decrease the amount of users in the area. Because most needle exchanges offer other resources such as referrals to detox, referrals to counseling, and that some of the staff are ex-addicts, those who use exchange are more likely to look for help there if they want to stop using. It is a non-judgmental environment where they are more likely to ask for help, especially when they see others there who have gone through a detox or stopped using themselves.

Anyway...Sorry to go on my own rant....

Do we have a copy of the guide anywhere on here?

shaunclo
06-20-2006, 05:04 PM
is unfortunate that our government does not allow access to those who need the clean equipment and needles and where I live in California, unless you live in and around the Bay Area you cannot walk into a pharmacy and buy needles. I have tried myself in Los Angeles and Orange County and they just won't do it without a prescription.

Really Candy, I believe we are pretty close to eachother and I pick my needles up at a wallgreens very easily. I just go in pretending to buy some for my father and it hasnt failed yet.