PDA

View Full Version : I missed a shot and dont know whats going on

SpinOnTheSpiral
12-23-2006, 02:14 PM
So yesterday, I put a needle with about 5 units of water and heroin in my arm, register, and as I start to push the plunger down, I feel a terrible burning sensation in my arm. My assumption is the needle came out of the vein and went into my muscle, so basically I put about 2 or 3 units into my muscle instead of my vein. Immediatley after I pull the needle out, the injection site is red and itching. As time goes on, the red faded and Im left with a very slightly swollen injection site (in the crook of my arm) and a terrible pain. The best way I can describe the pain is like a bruise that has constant pressure being pushed on to it with a warm feeling to it. It even hurts when the sleeve of my jacket slides over it.

So my question is, is this a common result of a missed shot or should I be worried about an abcess forming? One mistake I made when prepping the needle was I did NOT filter the water as I was drawing it up into the needle.

Any quick replies will be much appreciated. Hopefully they are good news too, because this is making me nervous.

kyuss
12-23-2006, 02:17 PM
I think
you'll be ok
a lot of posts
about this
search for "missed shot"

red26
12-23-2006, 02:29 PM
dont sweat it. Its common for a missed shot to have that reaction, but you really gotta draw thru a filter, cotton. I wouldnt worry about an abcess either but keep your eye on it. Look for abcess and care of.

SpinOnTheSpiral
12-23-2006, 02:33 PM
I think
you'll be ok
a lot of posts
about this
search for "missed shot"

i searched with those exact words and didnt get any results back

dont sweat it. Its common for a missed shot to have that reaction, but you really gotta draw thru a filter, cotton. I wouldnt worry about an abcess either but keep your eye on it. Look for abcess and care of.

thanks. I usually do filter, but in the heat of withdrawals last night it slipped my mind.

What should I be looking for? I mean, how will I notice if an abcess is forming? And if this is just gonna go away on its own, about how long does that take?

pinion
12-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Red, swollen and sore around the injection site and usually takes at least a day or two before it's really apparent. It will usually continue to swell over the days and a lot of times the site itself will feel quite warm to the touch. If it's red, swollen and not getting better at the three day mark, you should go see someone. If you're showing any of these signs in the interim, hot packs and maybe a few cloves of garlic a day may help.

An abscess it one of those things that's pretty self evident, you'll know if you have one. If you do though, don't fuck it off. The infection is essentially a big zit under the skin and can be quite toxic if it bursts - you can get really sick and/or die..

Narkotikon
12-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Yeah, anytime you miss you'll get that raised and red bumpy swollen looking area around the injection site. If the water was sterile and you cooked up and filtered (I know you said you didn't, but usually if you do), I wouldn't worry about an abscese. It helps if you take the swollen area and run it under warm water, as it will speed up the absorption by the tissue. It should fade in a few days.

This actually happened to me a few days ago when I was shooting the Kadians. I have very very small veins, and the ones in the crook of my arm where people normally shoot never raise up enough to where I can really see them, so when I tried there, I missed and that happened, but it's fading now. I ended up just using the tiny veins on my hands and wrists and on the underside of my forearm, as they're closer to the surface. It's just easier to hit those, especially with 31 guage points.

repeek
12-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Having a barbed needle can make the miss much worse and longer to heal. Still don't freak, just watch it, pulling a barbed needle out of your arm leaves a nasty scratch on the inside that takes longer to heal and hurts more than a regular miss.

kyuss
12-23-2006, 03:16 PM
i searched with those exact words and didnt get any results back

seriously?
http://forum.opiophile.org/search.php?searchid=192416

SuperJunky
12-23-2006, 04:51 PM
seriously?
http://forum.opiophile.org/search.php?searchid=192416

In Spins defense the last few times I performed a search in the little box at the top of the page it has turned up nothing. Then when I get to the search page the same searchturns up results. I knew what I was looking for was here, I had posted it, so I tried again but he probabley didn't. It doesn't happen every time, seems to be at random.

kyuss
12-23-2006, 08:25 PM
In Spins defense the last few times I performed a search in the little box at the top of the page it has turned up nothing. Then when I get to the search page the same searchturns up results. I knew what I was looking for was here, I had posted it, so I tried again but he probabley didn't. It doesn't happen every time, seems to be at random.

that happens
to me if I
try to search
w/o logging in

SpinOnTheSpiral
12-23-2006, 09:33 PM

Thats exactly what happend the first time I tried searching. Once kyuss recomended that I search because there are lots of threads on this, I went to the actual search page and it did end up working.

As an update. Im able to move my arm better. I can fully extend it with minimal pain, plus the swelling has gone down a little and it no longer is hot and no longer hurts when I touch it. So I guess I will be good. Thanks for all the advice, and I will post again later with more updates on the condition of my arm. Thanks again.

kyuss
12-23-2006, 09:45 PM
As an update. Im able to move my arm better. I can fully extend it with minimal pain, plus the swelling has gone down a little and it no longer is hot and no longer hurts when I touch it. .

that's good
news,bro.
Take care

hopperdave2000
12-25-2006, 01:52 AM
It seems like you may have hit an artery, at least partially. Shooting into an artery results in painful itching/burning, extreme swelling (I once hit an artery in my wrist, and my whole forearm swelled up to about 3 times its normal size!), redness, and tenderness afterward. As everybody mentioned, you should always use a cotton to filter the solution.

moviebuff927
12-25-2006, 02:19 AM
It seems like you may have hit an artery, at least partially. Shooting into an artery results in painful itching/burning, extreme swelling (I once hit an artery in my wrist, and my whole forearm swelled up to about 3 times its normal size!), redness, and tenderness afterward. As everybody mentioned, you should always use a cotton to filter the solution.

AND NEVER SHOOT IN AN ARTERY!!!

MikeyFlowers
12-25-2006, 01:02 PM
For sure, if you are deep enough that you think you should be in a vein and aren't registering DON'T keep shooting. I once knew a man with a permanent drag that was about a half inch wide and went the full length of his forearm because he shot into an artery. This was a very real very unattractive reminder to be carefull! Remember, your arteries run deep and below veins, if you have a needle fully into your arm and you think you should be in a vein but you aren't back it out a little and be carefull!