PDA

View Full Version : Non Narcotic sleep-aids

red26
12-07-2006, 12:02 AM
I figured Id put tis up being that we opiophiles, usually when detoxing and W.D.ing have a ton of trouble sleeping, nevermind everything else that comes along with those.

Id like to hear peoples input on the sleep aids they have used OTC and prescribed that are non narcotic and non benzo. The reason for this is because I was just given a ton of samples of this "Lunesta" stuff. I took one half earlier and slept for 3 hours. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth and makes smoking ciggs like suckin down a nice pile of cow shit.
A while ago I took another and am still kickin it, but do notice some groggyness ans slowed thoughts/reaction times. SO. give it to me people.:D

Flagg
12-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Lunesta was no good for me.

Seroquel will knock you out good, but it's not normally prescribed for sleeping (It's for bipolar/anti-psychotic).

Trazadone is an option, as well as muscle relaxers (Skelaxin, Soma, Cyclone, etc.). Be prepared for a little hangover and a tough time awaking in the morning.

Benzos will somethimes work, but they're related to Lunesta and Ambien I think, so if those aren't doing crap, don't worry about it.

I've never fallen asleep directly from opiates; it's always taken me a bitsy (the "nods," etc). The nightmares on opies and benzos are tremendously frightening, and part of the reason why I am currently not on them.

Chemical_Boy
12-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Only way I can get sleep while sick is with clonazepam. Since I rarely have those I am pretty much screwed. They are actually the only sleep pill that works for me any time.

Chipper
12-07-2006, 01:28 AM
I ended up in a psych ward and was coming off low-dose methadone. What helped me sleep through the (mild) withdrawl was Chlorpromazine or Largactil. I went back and asked for more - they were happy to oblige.

red26
12-07-2006, 01:34 AM
Im just thinking with all the free-bees and sample packs you can get these days we should be reserching them and cluein people in on the results.

Also whatever might have worked in the past for you like herbs, compounds, OTC combonations, ect.

thanx to all who put up info so far!

Badly Drawn Girl
12-07-2006, 03:40 AM
Have you ever tried Melatonin? That would be my first suggestion. I used it happily for years. But note, this was way before opiates so I have no idea about drug interactions or it's use for wd's.

I take Somas and occasionally Neurontin in order to sleep. The Somas are great because they kick in fast, like 10-15 minutes, and I wake up refreshed.

My problem is that I thrash around in my sleep. I have sprained my wrists so many times. I jerk all over the place like I'm being shocked. I just dread sleeping, period. I do better napping for some reason.

I've nodded off like three times through this post so I hope I've made some sort of sense. :rolleyes:

OxyContinuously
12-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Melatonin works well, I agree, BDG. Lunesta and the other benzo related m'fers like zolpidem do indeed fuck up the taste in your mouth, and are not that effective. What i must say, is give up on the quetiapine (seroquel) whoever keeps saying that. Don't take an antipsychotic bullshit like seroquel unless you are bipolar or something like that. seroquel is not an option for people without mental difficulties. I would be more apt to take 75mgs of Benadryl and take my chances with the RLS.

nick
12-07-2006, 10:19 AM
I've heard good things about melatonin too.Never used it personally because I've always had access to benzos.

Paregoric Kid
12-07-2006, 10:52 AM
melatonin
5-htp
hops
cannabis
diphenhydramine
hydroxyzine
ambien
chloral hydrate
placidyl
barbiturates
benzodiazepines

Papa Verine
12-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Hops Paregoric Kid?

aj11
12-07-2006, 12:03 PM
I got the idea from a thread on here. I IVed 3 blue lunestas and bam, my ass was out. I was on about 80 millies of OC though so that could've helped knock me out. Like the thread said, a commerical for lunesta has a huge green fucking butterfly in your window, tipped me off to try and shoot it.
But then again I am a junkie

Paregoric Kid
12-07-2006, 12:22 PM
hops, the stuff they brew beer with, the only other plant in the same family (Cannabinacea) as cannabis. it is used in herbal sleep remedies. I've tried it before but I was already tired but I did sleep so it probably does work for some people.

Flagg
12-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Melatonin works well, I agree, BDG. Lunesta and the other benzo related m'fers like zolpidem do indeed fuck up the taste in your mouth, and are not that effective. What i must say, is give up on the quetiapine (seroquel) whoever keeps saying that. Don't take an antipsychotic bullshit like seroquel unless you are bipolar or something like that. seroquel is not an option for people without mental difficulties. I would be more apt to take 75mgs of Benadryl and take my chances with the RLS.

I did mark my post with that info about seroquel. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy for sleep (wait ... yeah, I would) but if you take one you're out for a bit. I was out for twenty hours when I used it for one of my "winter episodes" last year. Hated it. They refused to give me anything else.

P.S. Took two cyclobenzaprine (sp?) last night after reading this post and had the best sleep in weeks, although I had trouble waking up this morning (after 8 hours).

Ickyuck
12-12-2006, 12:09 AM
I've been taking Trazadone for years, works for me. Had friends on Seroquel, lowest doses. Of course that shite works, It will put you out like an inpatient. Flagg, the cyclowhatzit you took must be Flexeril, right? I have that and it puts me to bed fast; then again that could be because it makes my limbs feel like anvils.

Anyway, non narcotic sleep aid, hmmm... Methinks Valarian is worth a try. I used to drink the tea of it, and it really works, I think. But beware, IT STINKS LIKE ASS. I swear. Use lotsa honey! And cats seem to like it too, sorta like catnip.

red26
12-12-2006, 12:44 AM
Valarian makes my ass throw up. It does attempt to put me out but I cant cause I keep having to run to the john. Right now I'm taking amitriptylin at 75-100 mgs. and its werkin 4 me. That Lunesta garbage made me test pos. on a U.A. so thats out.

I have taken seroquil before. I wasnt sleeping for weeks to months at a time a few years back so I went to the mental health center and thats what they gave me. Yes that stuff floored me, but Id only take it as a last resort before I started streaking grocery stores again with uncooked chickens for gloves and an icecream helmet.

skeletontea
12-12-2006, 01:01 AM
It leaves a bad taste in your mouth and makes smoking ciggs like suckin down a nice pile of cow shit.

Yeah I'm on them as we speak,..erm,...type. I alternate between Ambien and Lunesta, because Ambien looses its effectiveness for long term use, so I switch to Lunesta, then a week later switch back (I have both perscriptions somehow).

Milk and tobacco in particular seem to be the worst for the metallic, penny taste. Ambien doesn't seem to cause a bad taste like Lunesta, plus Ambien have more rec value as well. I'm gonna' go to bed, goodnight.

BTW, Ambien doesn't give me the metallic aftertaste. Get the extended release ones (which I still believe can be gotten as a free sample from your General Care Practitioner.)

Seedy
12-12-2006, 01:02 AM
I find BIG doses of 5htp help a bit but I'm pretty sure it's an individual thing, like, say prozac; works on seratonin. Valerian actually seemed to keep me up. What sleep I did get I had the most awesome vivid dreams and the strangest thing - even after 3-5 hours sleep I'd feel like I'd slept a whole night. Increases r.e.m. sleep I think, that's when you dream and get the best rest.

Zopiclone (immovane) works pretty well for me, same as benzos but have to have a big dose in wd's. Actually I think I only tried it during minor sickness. Probably none of the above would knock u out in full wd's.

jacky
12-12-2006, 03:42 AM
skullcap herb has recently given me some of the more natural sleep I have experienced lately....skullcap also seems to mix well with opiates, and gives me a slightly euphoric synergy with opiates....

I just bought some seeds of the skullcap "nana" species. this species is apparently a stronger type, that has been recently coveted for its effects in the european "spice" mixture.
this herbal smoke has some pretty strong sedative effects. I would compare 200 milligrams of this herb blend with maybe 5 milligrams of valium. there are more than a few plant ingredients...so skullcap nana is just one of them. till I have those plants ready this year, I will just continue to eat 1.5 to 3 grams of skullcap like I do kratom.

skullcap has a slightly minty taste. it also seems to calm a stomach....

high doses are not advised I geuss, the herb can induce epileptic type of seizures in massive doses.

good stuff.....which I wouldve tried this sooner. this summer I suffered some pretty strong opiate induced insomnia.....paradoxical stimulation if you will.
now all I need is my breath right strips, skullcap, chamomille tea, and to not take opiates past 10 pm and I get at least 4-5 hours, sometimes 6-7. 5 hours sleep is a good nights sleep for me.

Flagg
12-12-2006, 04:37 AM
Yeah I'm on them as we speak,..erm,...type. I alternate between Ambien and Lunesta, because Ambien looses its effectiveness for long term use, so I switch to Lunesta, then a week later switch back (I have both perscriptions somehow).

Milk and tobacco in particular seem to be the worst for the metallic, penny taste. Ambien doesn't seem to cause a bad taste like Lunesta, plus Ambien have more rec value as well. I'm gonna' go to bed, goodnight.

BTW, Ambien doesn't give me the metallic aftertaste. Get the extended release ones (which I still believe can be gotten as a free sample from your General Care Practitioner.)

Ambien XR? I'm curious as to what happens if you chew those :D

skeletontea
12-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Ambien XR? I'm curious as to what happens if you chew those :D

You and a friend wake up the next day with a $16 bottle of port wine (opened but not drank) even though you didn't have any money,end up badly bruised, looking like you just got your asses kicked and don't remember any of it.

The following day I went to a local store, and a woman asked for my ID. I looked at my purchase, confused because I was just buying ice cream, then she explained it was needed for the wine I'd bought last night. Did I? Was this where I got it? I vaguely remember an ATM, but there isn't one here. "Your friend was really drunk, and you look kinda' young, I was afraid to sell it to you." (Then why the hell did she?) I got the implication that I'd pressured her, which is not something I'd normally do. I told her "I'm sorry, I don't remember any of that, I took an ambien last night" and before I could finish by lying with "I took it last night, and must have somehow awoken", a customer in the back of the line chimed in with "Hey! you're supposed to go to bed when you take that!" I responded, "I know, I tried".

Then I realized I was probably there at about 7pm, so it's not very likely anyone would believe I took it to get to sleep (though I do use them for sleep, I'm a life-long insomniac.) Oh yeah, I didn't have my ID when she sold me the wine either.

AWOL
12-12-2006, 03:06 PM
I get seroquel for sleep. Carefull with it though.