PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol / Suboxone

bi11i
12-19-2004, 07:25 PM
I used to be a real big fan of alcohol. Loved it. I'd drink every night that I could, and usually do pretty well in taking home some strange woman, and then go about the same routine the next day. I real happy life, or so to speak...

I'm not in any way interested in the bar scene any longer, but I notice that even one beer makes me feel pretty shitty on the sub. Now if I keep drinking, and drink to get drunk, and then just keep on drinking until I pass out - I'm only feeling crappy the next day.

But just having one beer? I'd compare it to a casual line of cocaine; it's fairly uncomfortable on the come-down. And not leaving me with a feeling to drink more, just a regretful, why'd-i-do-that kind of feeling.

Anyone else notice their appetite for booze is gone?

Peripat
12-20-2004, 12:59 AM
If that IS the case for more people, maybe I should try the sub. I've managed to get the heroin use more or less under control, but I can (and do) drink rather more heavily than is healthy. And that's putting it mildly.

bi11i
12-20-2004, 01:43 AM
i used alcohol for years after quitting the heroin. i couldn't have done quit the h without it. the sub seems to make the alcohol even taste bad, for some reason. i've yet to meet anyone else who shares this, although I've yet to meet anyone where i live that uses sub (or uses sub with alcohol...)

beldar
01-13-2005, 11:34 AM
I lost my appetite for drinking about a month after I got on the sub. I totally quit drinking at the end of September. It lost it's kick for some reason. My doc has me on Subutex but I think it still has naloxone or something in it. I think they use that stuff to treat alcoholics. This would explain the lack of interest in booze after a while. Maybe the other floks you spoke with didn't drink much to begin with. I drank every day and definitely noticed the difference. One of my closest friends is also on the sub and experienced the same thing. He still does other things but doen't much care to drink anymore. I'm tring to get off the stuff after being on for over a year. I'm down to 1mg/day and still have no desire for alcohol. I just can't seem to shake the urge to get my daily sub fix though. I guess I'm just a whimp when it comes to withdrawal. I had a hell of a time trying to get off methadone.. That's how I ended up on the sub. I recomend it to anyone though. It's a much less "heavy" feeling drug than methadone that's for sure.

bi11i
01-13-2005, 12:02 PM
that's interestin to me. i used to be on subutex, and that stuff felt MUCH different to me than the suboxone, even though I'm fairly confident the naloxone isn't being absorbed into my system in any way. but with the subutex, man i loved to drink - it felt great. now i've no interest, one drink makes me wish i hadn't.

1badrabbit
01-28-2005, 04:21 AM
i used alcohol for years after quitting the heroin. icouldn't have done quit the h without it. the sub seems to make thealcohol even taste bad, for some reason. i've yet to meet anyone elsewho shares this, although I've yet to meet anyone where i live thatuses sub (or uses sub with alcohol...)

I just noticed that alcohol seems to be more potentiated when Idrink. Personally I haven't been a big fan of alcohol since I hada nice 3 year drinking binge earlier in life haha. I found thatonce I started using opiates daily I started to like other drugsless and less.

bi11i
01-28-2005, 09:28 AM
i've always been one to skip around from drug to drug, but with the sub, what's the point. I'm fairly comfortable where I'm at and the big plus is that I'm not dropping every extra dollar I get on dope. I'm most definitely paying out my ass in insurance, but what I'm getting out of it is worth it, IMHO.....

Alcohol seems to potentiate the side effects of the bup on my end. The anxiety and lack of patience that came along the first day of the big switch to bup seems to show itself when I've had a drink or two.

I went to a party this last weekend and had nothing - no alcohol, etc. Those around me who know me from my earlier days were quite blown away. I was just another boring sober person. At least my Sunday wasn't ruined....

ragemaxis
05-09-2005, 08:25 PM
For me alcohol never latched me on, but I was hooked on Ketamine pretty badly for YEARS. Once I switched to pt i was a-ok and my cravings / triggers totally went away. I'm fairly convinced in the model that agressive drug / drink searching is based as much on genetic deficiency as it is on brain-based hunger for substance. I know I consumed drugs to scratch and itch and alot of them would do a good job of it, but not quite satisfy it. Ironically even un-noticeable doses of opiates totally fixed me up. I have a couple of friends who are the same way with meth, they did H, K, GHB, lots of stuff and then now they do a tiny bit of ephedrine or dexedrine and settled out.

Then though, you get complacent and feel normal, and rather than trying to find a normal feeling and get rid of negative side effects / persistent symptoms, then all of a sudden you are trying to chase a rush or amplify where you are or feel EVEN BETTER. That is where the curse of treating a deficiency with something like opiates, etc. can be a real dead end road. And then guess what?

You go back to the drink = )

I used to be a real big fan of alcohol. Loved it. I'd drink every night that I could, and usually do pretty well in taking home some strange woman, and then go about the same routine the next day. I real happy life, or so to speak...

I'm not in any way interested in the bar scene any longer, but I notice that even one beer makes me feel pretty shitty on the sub. Now if I keep drinking, and drink to get drunk, and then just keep on drinking until I pass out - I'm only feeling crappy the next day.

But just having one beer? I'd compare it to a casual line of cocaine; it's fairly uncomfortable on the come-down. And not leaving me with a feeling to drink more, just a regretful, why'd-i-do-that kind of feeling.

Anyone else notice their appetite for booze is gone?