PDA

View Full Version : question regarding methadone

Jeru
05-09-2012, 07:21 AM
does anyone know how long methadone takes to digest? it's actually the wafers but they're dissolved in water then taken.

was just curious how long it takes coz at the clinic they've got a sign that says "if you start to feel nauseated then wait 15 minutes before leaving." so I'm guessin it takes 15 minutes?

wasn't sure if anyone knew a definite answer or not. thanks in advance.

ausativa
05-09-2012, 07:31 AM
it depends on how sick you are, what is in your stomach, and how fast your metabolism is.

usually 45 min to an hour and a half.

danny
05-09-2012, 07:35 AM
ymmv. it takes me 3 hours to feel my methadone and i know im not alone there, another thing ive found is the larger the dose the longer it takes to kick in.

Jeru
05-09-2012, 07:40 AM
I meant just for it to digest – not kick in and this is on an empty stomach. I'm talking just how long it takes for your stomach to eat it up.

ausativa
05-09-2012, 07:44 AM
well that isnt a really valid question, because even after you stomach has absobed all of the methadone, your blood serum levels are still rising.

it takes time to fully saturate.

are you concerned your dose isnt gonna work or something?

is this your first dose or what?

dont use the slow onset as an excuse to iv your 'done.

Jeru
05-09-2012, 08:03 AM
noo. I mean how long does it take your stomach to absorb, and no this isn't my first. the whole thing is I took it and puked about 20 mins later but I'm pretty sure it was ok by then, from what I heard as long as you don't puke immediately or with 5-10 mina you're ok

Woody Bear
05-09-2012, 10:31 AM
noo. I mean how long does it take your stomach to absorb, and no this isn't my first. the whole thing is I took it and puked about 20 mins later but I'm pretty sure it was ok by then, from what I heard as long as you don't puke immediately or with 5-10 mina you're ok
Your stomach doesn't absorb food or drugs (with the exception of small amounts of alcohol). Your stomach digests the food, then sends it down to your small intenstines which is where the food is further broken down and most of the food/drug is absorbed. It takes about 20-30 minutes for your stomach to empty the contents into your small intestine, and eating food speeds this up.

Typically if you take something orally, it will take 20-30 minutes before it's passed out of your stomach, and then it's able to start being absorbed. How quickly it's then absorbed, depends on the pH and what else is mixed in with it.

If you want to speed up oral absorption, then it helps to eat a small amount of something fatty. Like one or two cookies. The food helps your stomach get to work digesting and passing the food out. Eating too much food with the drug, dilutes it down, so then it take much longer to absorb.

But if you don't eat any food, then the pill can sit in your stomach for a long time. And food really helps gear up your digestion for absorbing stuff.

If the drug has already left your stomach into your small intestine, then when you puke, its possible that you wouldn't lose any of the drug. However, puking doesn't just empty the contents of your stomach, it can bring up material much further down as well. It depends if it's just a little bit of sick, or a really heavy heave.

Smaxie
05-09-2012, 10:31 AM
According to the nurses at my clinic, it takes 20 minutes for it to digest, and if you throw it up after 20 minutes it's already active. For me, it takes almost an hour to the minute from the time I take it, to the time I feel it kick in.

If you threw it up 20 minutes later, you probably got most of it.

candy
05-09-2012, 10:56 AM
If you are ever feeling nauseated when you go to the clinic bring a large plastic cup or bowl with you. This way if you do vomit before you leave and you still have the methadone in your stomach, they will re-dose you. It is how it works at my clinic.

Food and other drugs will affect how fast Methadone is absorbed. I believe it is best to take your Methadone with food as it is absorbed faster. If your nauseated, let them know when you go in and if you do puke and show that the methadone has not been absorbed, you will most likely get re-dosed.

Jeru
05-09-2012, 11:11 AM
this was earlier this morning – I puked about 15-20 afterwards but I feel the dose, and candy that's a good idea but I get take outs and I was dosing at home. as of lately it seems like my body is burnt out on the methadone taste, for a year I took it with koolaid (fruit punch) and that's what they give you at my clinic too.

I guess I'm gonna start trying to eat something light about 30mins before I dose but usually I'm in a rush and I take it in the morning before I leave for work.

and Smaxie thanks for your info, that's what I was trying to figure out, and Woody Bear – I appreciate your in depth explanation, it was very helpful.

on another note – thanks for the feedback everyone.

Duckfeet
05-09-2012, 08:46 PM
I've had the same thing happen, dosed, then was just wandering outside, then puked, couldn't stop it. I was so pissed/embarassed, that I didn't even bother to try to redose, u know, go back inside and drag them out to 'see' what had happened, more mad at myself. And no matter how others are, I didn't feel squat, and by the next day--I was there at 0530, right when they were opening--I was pretty sick. Everybody in the clinic told me the 15 minutes thing, but I didn't believe them, and I know I damn sure didn't get any kind of methadone in me that day....after that, I just threw some saltine crackers in the car. That's old Gulf seasickness remedy, and if I throw a few of the in my belly, I never get sick...it was just 'one of those things' I doubt it would ever happen again anyway...they did tell me, that if I'd taken them outside and showed them where I'd upchucked, they'd have redosed me, but like I said, I just drove away mad....

duck
05-09-2012, 09:08 PM
They told me the 15guy minute thing also, but I threw up about an hour after dosing and I saw orange wafer material in my vomit, and I didn't feel my dose nearly as well.

Duckfeet
05-09-2012, 09:49 PM
They told me the 15guy minute thing also, but I threw up about an hour after dosing and I saw orange wafer material in my vomit, and I didn't feel my dose nearly as well.

Yeah, takes me a good hour to get that shit in my system, and if I puke it's gone, doesn't seem to come on....

Junkette
05-09-2012, 09:51 PM
For me never under an hour and sometimes up to four....but...I can maintain on low dose methadone and it takes me a very long time to need more.

radioactive_man
05-09-2012, 10:46 PM
I am not on MMT, but if I don't eat before dosing I get nauseous. It doesn't matter if I have liquid or pills, it usually takes about an hour for me to feel the methadone.

dioxyhyrdoheroin
05-10-2012, 02:22 AM
my clinics official rule on getting another half dose is puking within ten minutes of dosing and it has to have been viewed by nurses ie at the dosing station, it was recently changed from 15-20 minutes dose-puke time. my counselor literally just told me this on monday when i went to my 1 required monthly group. ive had problems holdin my dose before so on mornings where my stomach feels questionable il eat a saltine cracker freely handed out by my clinic prior to dosing and after dosing i will take a seat nearby in full view of the nurses, ive walked outside to the parking lot once and sat in my car and waited for it to kick in, 8 min later i ran back inside puked infront of the nurses but it didnt matter because i walked outside, come to think of it that was the last time i did dope, cuz i was sick later that nite from pukin my dose.. other than that tho if i stick around and puke within ten minutes they'll give u another half dose after you eatsomething and wait til feeling like you can handle it. happened to me 3 times where ive gotten another half dose, last time i swear it was my usual dose instead of half! that was a nice lil gift from my clinic :) so ten min tho is the new time of absorbtion according to my clinic, doubt it would provide full absorbtion but thats the cut off for getting redosed 'round these parts

edit: course this is talkin bout good ol american 10mg/mL pink sizzurp not the wafers you are describing, but seeing as how they are dissolved in water i would think it close to the same absorbtion time? another tid bit of info i picked up by talking to my counselor is that the methadone they receive comes in powdered form.. a pharmacist comes in to mix with water and nurses and pink food coloring to it. every 6 months or so state comes in to perform quality control tests to make sure its no more no less than 10mg/mL..either way tho it sounds the same in the end my drink to your drink yours just gets dissolved right infront of you

duck
05-10-2012, 03:37 AM
They mix nurses into our methadone? !

dioxyhyrdoheroin
05-10-2012, 03:58 AM
They mix nurses into our methadone? !

yes

add.*

Seedy
05-10-2012, 05:43 AM
is the pink 10mg/ml stuff you guys get flavoured? or does it taste straight chemical? and is it viscous? i guess not considering a standard dose is less than 2 teaspoons... just wondering as the stuff i'm getting in my part of nz is also pink and 10mg/ml, but obviously not flavoured or thickened but i think the stuff tui and michael get is 5mg/ml and clear.

dioxyhyrdoheroin
05-10-2012, 08:04 AM
straight chems. feel the burn all the way down like a shot of whiskey.. orange popsicle flavored juice is given with it but it is added by you and your given the choice of juice or water to wash down or mix the 'done with. some ppl send that shit straight back like it wasnt any...not me i love my juice i even take some home on take home days cuz nothing masks the taste quite like it...but yeah not not viscous or thick at all it has the consistency of water with a light pink hue to it...

-dioxy

Seedy
05-10-2012, 04:31 PM
sounds like the same stuff. i assume it bangs up fine? anyone?

dioxyhyrdoheroin
05-10-2012, 04:56 PM

Not to say I haven't tried IV 'done but it's not worth it at 10mg/mL unless u have 10 cc rigs...too much ick (not to mention vein damage) for not enuf of a return with a standard 1cc rig

Benz
05-10-2012, 05:00 PM

I wouldn't have thought IVing methadone liquid is particularly good for you. If it has sugar in it, forget it.

Benz

Chipper
05-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Another worry is sudden exercise on an empty stomach (who always packs a barf-bag ?).

My clinic says that once you leave the clinic then so does their responsibility for your MMT/BMT dose/doses.