PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make Kratom Tincture

OpanaKing
04-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Yo

So has anyone tried making a kratom tincture? The liquid extracts have worked pretty good for me but are pricey.

I was thinking of taking my favorite plain leaf. Putting it in a jar then filling the jar with some strong alcohol about a quarter of an inch above the kratom.

Then letting it sit in the dark and shaking the solution twice a day for like two weeks.

From there what do I do besides filter out the kratom? Can I boil down the alcohol to get a more concentrated solution? It's also a more convenient way to take kratom.

ausativa
04-07-2012, 09:05 PM
i know that is how you make "green dragon" (cannabis steeped in everclear, then strained)

i guess it would work if the active ingredient is soluble in alcohol.

you would be left with a lot of alcohol, you can reduce it, if you let it all evap, but ive never tried it.

Mu
04-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Making a potent kratom tincture is actually pretty tough....
The standard method that you mention above is adequate to extract most of the actives, but the dosage will be a quite a bit higher than say the FST.
Things to up your yield - a mixture of 40% water and 60% ethanol seems to yield the most alkaloids, although I suppose everclear or 151 would be close enough. Also, adding some citric or acetic acid to your tincture will also improve the extraction.
Bear in mind though, that the strong tinctures on the market are more than just regular tinctures. They usually have purified alkaloids added.
You can concentrate your tincture by evaporating some of the alcohol, for sure, but I would avoid boiling it if possible. I think low heat and time would be better.
Another option - if you purchase some enhanced leaf or extract, tincturing that might achieve more interesting results.
Keep us posted on how it turns out!
Cheers,
Mu

BTW - the "Green Dragon" idea is great if you don't mind having a shot of booze with your kratom. That is about the dosage for what you mention - 1 oz

Mu
04-11-2012, 12:16 AM
I've wondered the same...
Supercritical usually extracts the more lipophilic compounds, I believe, so not sure how fat soluble the important alks are....
I have a friend who has some experience doing SC extractions - he made some Hash oil with it... I'll see how possible it would be to get time on the machine.

6-MAM
04-11-2012, 11:29 AM
My god, I've never heard of such a thing... How does it compare to a butane extraction? Each gram of that equals 16.6 grams of plant.

Did you use medical buds, trim, or brick if you don't mind me asking?

Count Zero
04-11-2012, 01:50 PM
I've got a machine myself, we meanufacture THC Co2 oil and sell the majority to edible manufacturers (specifically Sodas and tinctures), although we are increasing ticket averages quickly now that end users are getting more familiar with it .... I'm going to see about throwing up a SCF vape thread.

Kratom is a very interesting plant .... I don't know much, if anything about Kratom itself, but my background is in manufacturing/distribution .... I've been pondering running a kilo through the machine, but do have a fear of residual funkiness making weird batches of Co2

Here's one of our ads (if I can find it :) ...

Best,
Dan K

Edit: Couldnt find the ad with tefhe THC, CBD, CBN content on it ( we tested at full spectrum labs before they were forced out of business) .... but here's 30g of oil, which which started out as half a kilo .....

I'd be worried about the "residual funkiness" too if you're running it through your THC extraction machine, it wouldn't take much kratom to taint the (I assume) delicious taste of the THC products, kratom to me is very "pungent", and I'm a person who gets down pods and peyote with no trouble at all. I guess cleaning the shit out of it should in theory make the k taste go away, I'd be fascinated to hear the results of the experiment.

Mu
04-11-2012, 05:00 PM
I've got a machine myself, we meanufacture THC Co2 oil and sell the majority to edible manufacturers (specifically Sodas and tinctures), although we are increasing ticket averages quickly now that end users are getting more familiar with it .... I'm going to see about throwing up a SCF vape thread.

Kratom is a very interesting plant .... I don't know much, if anything about Kratom itself, but my background is in manufacturing/distribution .... I've been pondering running a kilo through the machine, but do have a fear of residual funkiness making weird batches of Co2

Here's one of our ads (if I can find it :) ...

Best,
Dan K

Edit: Couldnt find the ad with tefhe THC, CBD, CBN content on it ( we tested at full spectrum labs before they were forced out of business) .... but here's 30g of oil, which which started out as half a kilo .....

I would be very hesitant about residue myself. we've been really curious about the results for a while,so if you do go for it, we'd love to hear about it. I assume the cleaning process could be rather intensive (for the machine), if even completely possible.

Your co2 looks really nice, it's starting to pop up more out here. for a while people were passing off well cleaned tane as c02 in the clubs here, bleh. I'm pretty into solvent less wax myself (extract artist) one of my closest friends is really breaking barriers in the CO medical scene I wonder if you might even know him?

Keep up the good works, always enjoy reading about people's plant (specifically Kratom and herb) alchemy.
Cheers!
Mu