PDA

View Full Version : I have been reading on other sites about mass shortages of Opana !

Dr. McKay
02-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Has anyone ran into a problem getting their Opana scripts filled recently ?

I read on one message board that there is now a nationwide shortage on all strengths and that pharmacies have no idea when they will be able to get more.

I am going to call Endo on monday and try to get the scoop on this , because I would hate to get my script and then find out they cant fill it from Endos PAP !

Bartholomew
02-19-2012, 12:41 AM
dunno about this. i was just offered 30 10mg IRs for the first time in a long time yesterday. maybe i'm just gettin the tail end of em? i dunno, i sure hope there's not a shortage though, oxyM is my fav pharmaceutical opi.

MMC
02-19-2012, 11:29 AM
according to the FDA website (http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/ucm050792.htm) it's only the ER formulations and they anticipate having more mid-to-late february. of course those dates are probably when they will have more produced, so it will probably take some more time before they work their way to local pharmacies.

interesting that it cites 'manufacturing delay' as the reason for the shortage. i wonder if this is in any way related to that scare that they had recently where they said there was a remote possibility that someone could get opana in their over-the-counter meds like no-doz or whatever it was. if i remember correctly they had to shut down that facility for some period of time, so i would suspect that this is the impact it's having.

Dr. McKay
02-19-2012, 01:52 PM
If you notice it says the 10mg tabs will be the new ones... I hope the others will just be the old formula.....

Opana ER (oxymorphone hydrochloride) Extended-Release Tablets CII (2/7/2012) Company/Products Reason Related Information Endo Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Customer Service:
1-800-462-3636

OPANA ER (oxymorphone hydrochloride) Extended-Release Tablets CII 10 mg NDC 63481-674-70

OPANA ER (oxymorphone hydrochloride) Extended-Release Tablets CII 20 mg NDC 63481-617-70

OPANA ER (oxymorphone hydrochloride) Extended-Release Tablets CII 30 mg NDC 63481-571-70

OPANA ER (oxymorphone hydrochloride) Extended-Release Tablets CII 40 mg NDC 63481-693-70 Manufacturing delay 10 mg tablets - anticipated availability mid-February 2012. (new formulation/new NDC).

20, 30 mg tablets - anticipated availability mid-February 2012.

40 mg tablets - anticipated availability late February 2012.

BlueDevil863 is fine
02-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Thank god my I have an amazing Doctor. He pretty much lets me choose which meds I would like to try. So every 2 months or so I switch one of my meds(Always Roxi 30s) Usually switch between when my insurance covered only generics since Opana ER is Brand name only so i swithed to generic 10mg Opana IR.

Since my insurance just expired I have to pay cash for my scripts. The roxi aren't terrible, but even the generic 10mg Opana IR cost me $585 for 90!!! My Aunt gets 30mg ERS and I looked at what her ins. paid out last month and was faberglasted, 180 of the 30mg ER were $2100!!!!!
The roxis are only $60 for 60, so I think this month I'm going to have him double up on the Roxis. 120 30mg roxis + 120 Soma 350mg + 90x 1mg Xanax will cost me $200 but JUST the 90 10mg Opana IR would be almost 3x that by itself.

Not too tough a choice due to the $, backorder etc,
and I'm attempting to stop injecting so that WILL NOT happen if I have the Opana IR, IMO they're a wasre unless IVd. With Roxis I prefer oral, due to the amazing B/A

reddragon3668
02-19-2012, 03:30 PM
The cost for those unfortunate to have pay out of pocket can be enormous! I had to do it six years. One thing I did find out, however, is that there can be HUGE differences in price between pharmacies. I am not exaggerating here. Best thing to do is shop around for the best price. I've seen as much as a 600 dollar difference for the exact same med.

I will never understand why cash paying customers are gouged like that. If a pharmacy can sell a drug to a customer with insurance for 100 bucks all the while making a profit, there is no reason why the cash paying customer can't get the same deal. Cash paying customers are usually less capable of being able to absorb the extra cost. Thus they go without. It is immoral, in my opinion.

With insurance, the pharmacy is paid about 600 a month for my monthly meds. Without insurance, my med bill would soar to around 2500 a month. I would be forced to go without and I would die. If they'd charge me the same 600, I could afford to stay alive.

There's no excusd for this kind of shit happening in a civilized country, but it does everyday. I am literally watching a neighbor die because of this very same thing. Ive called every social service agency and church I can think of to no avail. He is MMH and can not advocate much for himself. It is sad!

MMC
02-19-2012, 04:11 PM
One thing I did find out, however, is that there can be HUGE differences in price between pharmacies. I am not exaggerating here. Best thing to do is shop around for the best price. I've seen as much as a 600 dollar difference for the exact same med.

co-sign on the shopping around tip. i've also found huge differences in the price for certain meds. you can generally get places to price match as well.

@ BlueDevil - if you no longer have insurance be sure to check out the prescription discount cards that you can print out online. just last week i couldn't make it to my normal pharmacy so i called the walgreens at the corner and they quoted me $29 for for 90 x 10mg methadone, which is almost 3x what i pay at my normal place. i printed out one of the discount cards and when the guy ran it through the price dropped down to $13 and some change. also, see if there's something like the discount cards that your state might offer. here in michigan we have the MiRx card (http://www.mihealth.org/mirx/index.html) (which is what is on record for me at my reg pharmacy) and it dropped prices on some of my scripts about 35%. if you have to pay cash these things can be extremely handy.

Dr. McKay
02-19-2012, 09:51 PM
So do you guys notice it says :
Manufacturing delay 10 mg tablets - anticipated availability mid-February 2012. (new formulation/new NDC).
So they are going to start with the 10mg Er when they start the new formula according to this FDA website I got this off of.

HydroApe
02-20-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm having a difficult time with 10mg IR.
I'm finding them but having to call around to about 5 or 6 places first.

maycausedrowsiness
02-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Yes. Every pharmacy I have been to has said that they are unable to order more from Endo, that it is on backorder.

My usual pharm had 45 left and they were the only ones I could find ANYWHERE so i settled for just filling the 45 even tho my rx is for 60... when he looked in the computer system to order the others he said they were on backorder so he could only fill the rx for 45 so I did it anyway.. but other pharms have told me the same thing. He said the 20s have been out for months..

I fill for the 40s. I originally thought that this might have something to do with the reformulation, and that they are manufacturing the new abuse proof pills but I hope not.

Dr. McKay
02-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Today a friend of mine called Endo right in front of me and they said they are totally out of all strengths of Opana right now.
The PAP program is also totally out and said that if you have a script not to send it becuase they have no pills to fill the script!

They said to call back over the next few weeks because they said that they plan on getting more made over the next few weeks.

I am going to see if any one can get the generics and I will try to get my doc to just write me eneough of the 15mg ERs to add up to 100mg a day of Er Opana which I am currently on.

the cost was not really that bad considering how much the brand name is.
210 15 mg Er tabs were about $650 .

This situation totally sucks and I actually cant believe that Endo would have actually let this happen all over a few tabs getting mixed up.

seven10kids
02-23-2012, 11:33 PM
yeah, heard people havent been able to fill over the last few weeks and things have not picked back up yet.

Dr. McKay
02-24-2012, 12:30 AM
Shit ...Called around for the generics and they cant even be found !

I was thinking of just getting those and some roxi 30s to tie me over til next months script !

Then can also report on how the new 15 mg generic oxymorphone Ers are since nobody here has talked about getting them.

that would cost me under $750 which is way better than $2000.

opandamonium
03-01-2012, 10:01 AM
As of right now NC is totally dry. From what I've heard/read there is a small stock(very small) of the old formula that were already made that they are still going to ship whenever the issue is resolved. So what it sounds like is even after Endo starts shipping the higher ER doses to the pharmacies, they will only be the old formula for a very short amount of time. Some places will probably only have the new formula even when they do come back. I know that in one the releases directly from Endo they said that the stock of the old formula will be totally depleted by early march. And if the new formula is gonna be the same type thing as the OP oxycodone, which it sounds like, I don't know what I'm going to switch to next.

digby
03-01-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm surprised that there haven't been other shortages, at least of the Endo brand. The Endo plant that shut down also manufactured all their percocets and morphine as well.

MMC
03-01-2012, 04:48 PM
for those affected by the shortage, here's an article about what endo has to say about it. nothing earth-shattering at all, but it's the first i've actually seen that the novartis production facility is back up and running. i guess endo shifted production of some products, which ones i don't know, to a facility in alabama as there are continuing problems with the novartis plant (glaxo smithkline just recalled a blood pressure med made at the plant) even though it's supposedly running.

http://www.inpharm.com/news/171541/endo-says-opana-er-supply-disruption-will-be-temporary

Endo says Opana ER supply disruption will be temporary

Published on 28/02/12 at 09:48am

Endo Pharmaceuticals has said that current supply restrictions for its new Opana ER formulation of oxymorphone are likely to be short-lived as it brings additional manufacturing capacity is brought online.

Endo first said it was experiencing supply constraints for Opana ER in January, after its manufacturing partner Novartis closed down a production line at its facility in Lincoln, Nebraska, that had been affected by GMP compliance issues.

Specifically, Endo said that there were "rare instances of errors in the packaging of the tablets, potentially resulting in product mix-ups," affecting Opana ER, earlier formulation Opana and various other painkiller products.

Since then, manufacturing activities at the Lincoln plant have been resumed, allowing Endo to meet the remaining allocation for manufacturing the active ingredient awarded by the US Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).

Opana ER is a major growth product for Endo, with sales in the fourth quarter of 2011 advancing 46% thanks in part to the approval in December of a new crush-resistant formulation designed to make the product less liable for abuse. Overall, Endo reported pharmaceutical sales of $2.7 billion in 2011.

The new formulation also provides additional patent protection on the franchise until November 2023, which is important for Endo as the first generic competitors to the original Opana ER formulation started to appear last year.

Endo's chief financial officer Julie McHugh said that this new formulation would also help it ease some of the supply constraints, as the company is accelerating production of the crush-resistant version in partnership with Grunenthal and the latter's contract manufacturing organisation PMRS Inc.

Manufacturing of the new formulation is expected to be at commercial scale early in the second quarter of this year, said McHugh, adding that by the end of March, the company expects to have depleted all of the old formulation of Opana ER in the marketplace and only be shipping the new crush-resistant formulation.

Meanwhile, the shutdown of Novartis' Nebraska also had an impact on availability of Endo's Voltaren gel (diclofenac) product - another big earner for the company - and McHugh said the company was now working with Novartis to try to transfer production to another facility.

"We expect resupply to begin during the early second quarter and to be able to reach commercial scale by the end of the second quarter," she said.

djstr0be
03-06-2012, 09:43 PM
The shortage is finally over in upstate NY! I called every single pharmacy in the area and they all said they recieved there shipments in today & are fully stocked in every mg. I successfully filled 120 40's at my local CVS with no problem. Anyone else have any luck today?

J.Dot
03-06-2012, 11:47 PM
old or new formulation?

djstr0be
03-07-2012, 03:05 AM
I got the old ones still thank god!