PDA

View Full Version : Morphine side effect...why I didn't notice this before?

moviebuff927
10-10-2006, 09:46 AM
So I got some generic MS Contins the other day and needless to say I shot all of them. I am not new to these at all, but I wanted a decent rush without shooting up 3 or 4 times (one pill = 1cc of shot, only like to use the BD insulin 1cc syringes). So I decide to use a larger gauge needle and a new, sterile 5mL syringe. I take 4 pills (60mg each for a total of 240mg) and crush them up really good. Take 4cc's of water and heat up and add the powder after it gets boiling (hope you all have read about that method I post about shooting Opanas) and then add another 2cc's of cold water. Throw in the filter and draw up in the 5mL syringe. Total amount of the shot is just a little more than 4mL. Tie up, stick the big 22G needle in and surprisingly hit the vein the first time. I pull back, DARK red, and shoot it pretty fast...

Now just the other day one of my friends was telling me that one time when they were in the hospital and the hospital gave them a shot of morphine but the nurse pushed down the plunger too fast and they said it was really painful...not where the shot was, but the reaction from the morphine being administered that fast made her head hurt and it was not pleasant at all. I thought "what total crap, the faster, the better!"

Anyway, I pushed down all 4mL's of appx. 240mg of morphine and about 5 seconds later, I get BAD pins and needles that quickly escalates into a VERY PAINFUL instant headache. I was really scared because I thought that maybe I was having a stroke from an air bubble or something...I know you have to shoot a lot of air, but I was using a bigger syringe this time and I was contemplating calling the ambulance because I seriously thought I was dying. I decided to wait it out and just lay down and my head still hurt. Meanwhile my hands swelled up really bad...I alternated between laying down and sitting up and within 30 minutes the headache slowly went away...Thank God...

Anyway, this has never happened to me before and I have shot 240mg before and I have a high tolerance. I was just wondering...What in the hell is the deal with pushing down too fast and that headeache? I mean the only way to describe it is it felt like I was dying.

Needless to say I didn't shoot again for at least a few hours :D

halfalien_s4
10-10-2006, 11:12 AM
morphines weird like that, i get it at the hospital thru IV ....well that and dilaudid.....morphine will somtimes cause a headache, but dilaudid begins in the abdomen like all my muscles are tightning up or something....very strange reactions indeed

Sitar
10-10-2006, 12:03 PM
I've heard of a few people having reactions very similar to that from taking large shots of morphine at a time. Possibly an allergic reaction from the large amount.

However, it's possible that the reaction could have also had something to do with an impurity in the shot or junk from the pills themselves.

BigWaves
10-10-2006, 11:08 PM
I've had similar histamine reactions like that when shooting ms contins. Not-totally-pleasant itchiness which surges and pops up in strange parts of the bosy; soles of feet, palms, even my junk.[didn't like that too much] along with hives/welts and redness near the injection site that subside in as little as 3 minutes to a few hours. Kadian really did a number on me like that. Does that mean I shot-up too much?

Anyone remember those 10mg sublingual (under the tongue) morpine barrels? Does anyone still make em? You could just drop one into a syringe, add water and shake. No filter was needed and MAN what a nice rush. Completely different from contins. I miss the old days man.

superman
10-12-2006, 06:05 PM
sorry i barely skimmed everything here, just want to mention two things;

1: when i have low stregnth morphine, i still use 1ml syringes, if it takes 4 pills for a good hit, then simply cook them all into 1ml. always worked fine for me, of course dry the leftovers well and save to re-cook with leftover from all the other shots you'll be doing.

2: try shooting it a LOT slower. i get some extremely intense pins+needles. so intense in fact that i will often shoot half my desired dose, and then do the other half a couple minutes later. never had this problem before i started slamming oxy every day.

Curio
10-12-2006, 06:23 PM
morphine can drop your respiratory rate and your blood pressure...

it's quite possible that the headache you experienced was from the blood dropping out of your head and your body trying to constrict all the blood vessels and counteract that rapid drop...Whenever I administer someone MS on the ambulance, I give it in 2 mg titrations and we are taught to always assess/reassess respirations, heart rate, blood pressure, etc..

I had a surgical procedure done once without unconscious or conscious sedation, they merely "bolused" (delivered a big shot of Morphine) me just prior to the event...and it hurt my spine and my head for quite a bit until the painful part was overtaken by the morphine being dispersed...I always remember that whenever I give someone IV meds of ANY kind...cause I really wish she hadn't hurt (and scared!) me on top of already being in the middle of a surgery! :mad:

superman
10-12-2006, 07:34 PM
2 mg titrations.... that's barely a drop in the ocean for any of us. would you break from that routine if you realized you had a tolerant patient?

Curio
10-13-2006, 12:24 PM
I can only do what the doctor at the hospital gives me orders for when I call in...

only had a opi-tolerant patient in extremis (really needing opiate administration for pain and w/d) once so far. I did briefly try to let doc know the background of the person before asking for the morphine prescription and was still only able to give a total of 10mgs while transporting.

Of course, with the guy on a duragesic patch, the MS was definitely, as you say, a drop in the bucket. Unfortunately, there's so much momentum behind this undertreatment of pain, fear of "addiction" & a sort of DEA/FDA police state rearing up that emergency medicine isn't getting any BETTER at pain control than our primary care doctors!

Cybershark
10-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Yeah honestly to me oxycodone has much less side effects on me then morphine. Do not get me wrong morphine is great when I cannot get any oxycontin but let me tell you the side effects are so much worse on me than oxy. I mean I cannot pee hardly at all on it and I get mass itching and more stress than anytime that I get on oxy. I guess it is a matter of each person's physical effects but it definately treats me worse with side effects than oxycontin. :o

BigWaves
10-15-2006, 01:43 AM
I mean I cannot pee hardly at all on it and I get mass itching and more stress than anytime that I get on oxy. I guess it is a matter of each person's physical effects but it definately treats me worse with side effects than oxycontin. :o

That's strange, we all react differently but most of the mroe notable sidew effects, like trouble urinating (opiates in general cause the wall of the bladder to thicken, which I'm told is why it's tough to piss on larger doses of ANY opiate. That's ME.)

And isn't oxycodone derived from a parent alkaloid Thebaine, [whereas morphine is a parent alkaloid itself]? That there should have something-if-anything to do with it.

Azrael
10-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Yeah, this is due to the inherent histamine reaction in Morphine (and also Codeine). It's nature's way of telling people not to shoot opium. BIG shots of morphine will cause this, especially if you push it in too fast. The immunological effects can be quite scary: pulsating headache, swelling in the face, hands, feet. Yeah, I remember theh first time I did a 150mg shot of morphine and my face swelled up so bad my eyes felt like they were closing...Thankfully it goes away slowly over the course of an hour or two, and by the third hour almost all the immunological effects are gone. So remember, "push slowly and see" and if you are doing a huge shot bigger than normal, I'd take some anti-histamines as well as anti-inflammatories beforehand and keep some hydrocortisone cream on hand. these things all help if the histamines hit hard after pushing the plunger down. Damn pricklies!

Chemical_Boy
10-27-2006, 11:59 AM
I had a nurse who pushed a shot of morph fast. Until then, they had always done it sooo slow that it would take them 3 or 4 minutes to push. I think they were sick of seeing me for migraines and wanted to give me that bad reaction you are talking about with the histamine release. Thing is, either it is because I take daily antihistamines, or my body just likes the shit, or maybe it wasn't a large enough dose to have the bad effects, but that moment is when I got hooked on the rush that IV opiates can give. It felt like a wave crashed over me- tingles, almost an audible whoosh, and a rush of euphoria. I fucking loved it. Of course they had also been giving me demerol before that and it just wasn't quite helping. So maybe it was the mix. But that day I learned the meaning of true love:cloud9:

Karlin
11-07-2006, 03:58 PM
I am just a newbie here, so 'scuse me if this has been covered, but I have an idea that those weird bumps on the arms, and maybe headaches, can come from using TOO HOT of a mix in your shot.

Did you cool it down after cooking?

I used to get those bumps but then I learned to cool the syringe off and have not had them for about three years now. Also, when I was in a car recently with another IV user and he was fixing in the car he got the arm bumps, and I know that shot was hot.

yes, they do look exactly like a histamine reaction, but circumstance tell me there may be another reason. Maybe heat makes for a histamine reaction by cooking your blood cells... [just guessing here].

As for the tingles, I miss them. I used to get them, still do but only occaisionally, but not every shot as before. Maybe that is tolerance. I usually push it pretty fast... I allways equated the tingles with a good strong shot, but maybe there are more inpurities in a larger shot and so it is impurities that cause tingles.

I am surprised that this kind of info isn't well known [by me or others] - obviously we do not all know what the facts are about the various reactions to IV morphine use, not even here where the experienced users are!! But I bet we find out by posting and reading here... its a good thing.

K

Nostromos
11-08-2006, 05:04 AM
"a true friend stabs you from the front"... funny.

my method was just swallowing the stuff, and that was enough. miss the hell out of it, i'm afraid the Kratom I had left over on Monday was the biggest reason I was able to actually do the things I needed to do that day instead of hiding my head in a book or pillow.

Dexter the Meth Orphan
11-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Hell...morphine makes me itch, period. Doesn't matter how I use, I always itch like a bastard for the duration of the waves.

Karlin
11-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Well ya, for sure Dex, those tingles are morphine doing its thing. What I was talking about are the bumps that form on the arm, just above the injection. I think it could be HEAT and if so it might be unhealthy.

MELBURN NIGGUH
11-12-2006, 09:52 PM
bumps; man, here people dont cook shit, I dont cook my oxycottons (used to use cold water, now i use hot tapwater, people microwave it, some boil so i thought maybe it will be better to mull up if its warm) and I got bumps, i got bumps when i used heroin with cold water, people swear i have a bump and they can tell i been injecting pills <--- funny thing i cant see the bump but i know thats where i used to do it.

superman
11-13-2006, 01:46 PM
karlin:"I am just a newbie here, so 'scuse me if this has been covered, but I have an idea that those weird bumps on the arms, and maybe headaches, can come from using TOO HOT of a mix in your shot."

very good point. things that are insoluble in cold water may become soluble in hot water. it's never a good idea to shoot a hot solution for this reason as it defeats the purpose of filtration

RobOC
11-13-2006, 04:21 PM
I have had that same problem with a gnarly histamine rush when I shoot over 200mg of morph. It can be so intense that I feel like my fucking head is going to pop off! Thankfully it does not last too long, not more than 30-45 seconds. It totally ruins the experience, making it un-enjoyable and actually painful. I always liked to have my ms contins around to ward of withdrawal but as far as actually getting me high they did jack shit.

Bobsaysso?
11-13-2006, 06:52 PM
About the swelling - Ive experienced this a few times before. My hand and arm swell so much I cant bend the joints. From my understanding, it was because I had hit a nerve...I could be wrong though.

Dexter the Meth Orphan
11-14-2006, 12:50 AM
Sounds histamine related....I think someone already posted this. Wow I am a bit loopy right now...wait, I'm always loopy lol!

moviebuff927
11-14-2006, 11:09 AM
I think ComaToes put it best: the sudden decrease in blood pressure probably induced a form of hypotension and caused the blood in my head to dramatically decrease in pressure, causing that awful headache, a form of histamine reaction albeit a terrible one.

On a new note, SWIM just shot 2 60mg MS Contins and had a similar reaction but I made sure to inject slowly. This never happens when I inject 1cc or less. But more than 1cc (and probably more likely more morphine) causes this histamine reaction. I think it has a lot to do with the amount of fluid you inject as well as how much morphine you inject. It's funny because this was the very first drug ever to be injected intravenously in history. The very first drug in the history of man to be shot was morphine! Kinda interesting and insightful, you think?

This thread is the perfect example of someone wanting an answer to a question that is not easily found unless you are a doctor. But here, with the help of everyone that responded, I got the true answer and help I needed. Thanks to all, and points to all, sorry I only have the power of 1 point at this time :mad:

But again thanks and points to everyone that responded!

Karlin
11-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Melburn quote: "bumps; man, here people dont cook shit, I dont cook my oxycottons and I got bumps"

Well that puts me theory out. Its weird that I don't ever get the bumps anymore, big doses or small. Naturally, my process has become more refined over the past few years of cooking two or three times a day, and maybe I am just not getting much contamination anymore. Maybe thats why I don't get the bumps.

Just to check - "the bumps" we are discussing are typically about an inch across and rise up just a little, like a pocket of fluid just under the skin? And allways just above the injection site? [being different than the tiny bumps right AT the inj. site from poking holes in the skin, obviously an effect of the violence of it all and some bacteria possibly.]

thbronze
11-15-2006, 07:17 AM
Sounds like those bumps could be from missing the vein,seems comatose description most logical for getting headache,never exp. that thou,personally love the spikes/tingles kinda head exploding efffects-its like being shocked-starts at head works down to toes- awesome
Redness around inject point from warm/hot mix thats interesting,have to explore that one

Curio
11-15-2006, 03:52 PM
That's strange, we all react differently but most of the mroe notable sidew effects, like trouble urinating (opiates in general cause the wall of the bladder to thicken, which I'm told is why it's tough to piss on larger doses of ANY opiate. That's ME.)

opiates increase bladder tone (tighten the muscles) and in order to urinate, you have to relax those muscles to start and maintain a urinary stream...

heh urinary stream....sounds like a band or some..never mind:o

Karlin
11-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Urine Trouble.
Yer in Trouble!!

Ha ha. Okthen.

I never heard that about bladder walls/muscle tone, thx.
Also, drinking enough water to overcome the dehydration that most drugs cause might pee bart of it , er, 'be part of it' I mean. It might help urnination difficulty too.

Don't tell me what to do! - ok , sorry. Butt constipation isn't good either, and more water will help. Funny how I don't like to drink water when high tho... belly feels funny... But when I am sure I drink my three liters a day I shit better, my skin isn't as dry, and my saliva isn't thick and my nasal passages are not stuffy.

Gone Goofy,
Karlin

moviebuff927
11-15-2006, 04:51 PM
In the PDR is states that conventional morphine containing products cause urinary retention. I don't know if that has to do with the bladder thickening or what, but it does definately cause retention at higher doses. I remember when I was in the hospital after my car accident and they had me on the morphine pump (press a button and it gives you morphine via IV) and I kept pushing it every 6 minutes, as much as it would let me. When they finally took the catheter out (OUCH!!!) I couldn't pee for hours. I stood in front of the toilet for literally hours. When I told the nurses I couldn't pee, they said they would have to put the catheter back in. HELL NO! Within the hour, I made sure I made pee pee, there was no way that inch thick tubing was going back up my dick!

Curio
11-15-2006, 05:04 PM
In the PDR is states that conventional morphine containing products cause urinary retention. I don't know if that has to do with the bladder thickening or what, but it does definately cause retention at higher doses. I remember when I was in the hospital after my car accident and they had me on the morphine pump (press a button and it gives you morphine via IV) and I kept pushing it every 6 minutes, as much as it would let me. When they finally took the catheter out (OUCH!!!) I couldn't pee for hours. I stood in front of the toilet for literally hours. When I told the nurses I couldn't pee, they said they would have to put the catheter back in. HELL NO! Within the hour, I made sure I made pee pee, there was no way that inch thick tubing was going back up my dick!

I couldn't urinate for almost 12 hours after one shot of morphine in the ER....once discharged, of course I was also looped and it was the Super Big Gulp days at 7-11 as well...yeah...celebrate being heavily medicated, skipping school, you know

44 ounces of liquid pain TIMES 3....

(hey I was thirsty! cotton mouth from being doped up! Who told me ahead of time that could happen? NO ONE...)

AWOL
11-15-2006, 05:09 PM
I couldn't urinate for almost 12 hours after one shot of morphine in the ER....once discharged, of course I was also looped and it was the Super Big Gulp days at 7-11 as well...yeah...celebrate being heavily medicated, skipping school, you know

44 ounces of liquid pain TIMES 3....

(hey I was thirsty! cotton mouth from being doped up! Who told me ahead of time that could happen? NO ONE...)

Happened to me before. With DXM it's an everytime occurance, but not so bad. Sitting down helps, so does sucking in your stomach and pushing. Too much info, I know ... but could help someone. If all else fails, ask for them to leave the catheter in :D

Karlin
11-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Urinary retention? "ha ha - you said URINE" {Chris, Family Guy}
Maybe over the long term? or later on in the day after it has taken full effect, 'cuz I've been finding that I have to pee within 20 minutes of a shot. Doesn't anybody else get that? LOL, why am I allways different?

lizard1409
11-21-2006, 04:25 AM
I've noticed between myself and my old "room mate", that with more water in the shot I got the headache feeling a couple time, but she complained about it often. So I would just cook the shot down as much as was reasonable. For 1-2 60's, around 30-40 units, or for 3-4 60's about 60-70 units for the first shot. Don't recall her complaining once I started making sure there was less water in the shot, and I have not since had any trouble myself. Also, we allways keep plenty of benadryl on hand if doing a lot (i.e. more than 2 60's each). Oh yeah, good to let them cool too. I noticed with shots i'd prepare the night before, they would sometimes be kinda cloudy in the morning, when they were clear when prepped. Just shoot back into a spoon as is, and redraw with new filter (obviously). Granted, if it's been a few days, and you just got some, you probably not going to have the patients for that (i never do). But for the 2nd shot, just stick in the freezer for a minute or 2 then do above.

-Lizard1409

Karlin
11-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Ya, about that cloudy stuff - are you talking about M Eslons / MS Contins?

Cuz for those, when there is just enough heat during cooking - not quite boiling - it goes clear and thats when I try to grab it [filter it into the rig].

That sounds a little different than your experience eh?

superman
11-21-2006, 07:42 PM
karlin i don't think you understand what he is describing. what he describes I have seen with oxy and morph tabs also.

as the hit cools, dissolved shit from the pills precipitates. if you're slamming anything other than a hit drawn up AFTER it cools completely, then you're slamming garbage, the exact same garbage you will observe if instead of slamming you leave your hit in the fridge overnight

Karlin
11-21-2006, 08:21 PM
you are right I was confused. Thats no uncommon, lol. He is talking about the "chalky" type that settles out, riiiiiiight. I've seen those.

And you are right about the shit we get from the waxy eslons. Its shit allrighty. Not good to get much of that in there, but its in there floating around after it cools down. Thats what they mean by "not injectable", but they do get injected, more damage that should have to be.

Or maybe it goes into our lungs and we cough it out. Sure.