PDA

View Full Version : Kava Kava?

OpanaKing
01-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Hey,

I was wondering if there was anyone on here that had any experience with good kava kava or should I say good experiences with it. I heard the powders the best but I got a really good brand that comes in capsules.

So can anyone give me any thoughts on what to expect? What would one compare taking some good kava to maybe 1mg of alprazolam? I'm not expecting anything crazy, just looking for a little relaxation.

Also does it give you a stomach ache or anything like that?

SeVeN
01-14-2012, 06:02 PM
As I remember, there are kavalactones which is what makes the kava effective. There are many types within the kava plant, and when you order things like a full spectrun kava gel (or whatever) it will have a higher kavalactone percentage, whihc is generaly good and what you want.

I imagine the root would be the coolest thing to have, but if not Id get a concentrate. Just make sure you check reviews for your source. I've found that online suppliers, and secondly local holistic/herb shop type places have the best. The GNC type stores usually had shit.

And it can be suprisingly relaxing if you get a good powder/cap/tincture/gel (whatever). Point being, while the quality stuff can be good, I really dont think its fair to compare it to benzos. Even the strong ones I still have difficulty comparing and placing to something like xanax.

OpanaKing
01-14-2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah I wasn't expecting it to come close to being like xanax. I guess what I meant is similar effects profile.

I'm just looking for alternatives to benzos. I know I got a very good brand, some top notch stuff that came with rave reviews. The brand I got comes from the island of vanuawatu. I guess they have good quality control over there. 3 capsules is supposed to be equivalent to 1 cup of kava kava.
Kava kava root (piper methysticum) 409mg
standardized to full spectrum profile
Total Kavalactones (from kava kava)225mg

I would be interested to try this kavalactone listed below.

kavalactone dihydromethysticin is supposed to be the longest lasting one, with effects up to 2 days. It's supposed to be pretty potent . Very cool how there's so many different strains.

Seven, Would you describe a good dose of kava as causing you to just relax alot without the more intense euphoria you would get from a benzo. You know like very light gaba stimulation?

SeVeN
01-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Yes, good, Kava can be very relaxing. Some Kava can even make you tired/sedated feeling. Nothing overpowering or potent tho IME.

Canis aureus
01-14-2012, 08:19 PM
I had hawaiian root, was it called hiwa or something like that. I liked to drink it on opiates...

Like Seven already said, nothing to compare benzos, but relaxing and uplifting effect to mood in its own special way. Kavalactones are fatsoluble and too much could be bad for you liver... So, probably not the best herb for hep c patients.

Kava has some nice numbing effect to mouth and stomach when chewed or made as drink.

jimmyfingers
01-14-2012, 08:32 PM
I read an article in the magazine Prevention that listed the most dangerous supplements and Kava was listed. Very hard on the liver-that is all I can remember

OpanaKing
01-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Well I tried it out and I feel quite relaxed. It also brought back my nod from earlier, I had 2mg's of alprazolam that I took a few hours before. But I still notice it.

I like it. I feel like I could fall asleep so peacefully lol. It will be interesting to try again when I have no benzo's in my system.

JonnyM
01-14-2012, 10:22 PM
I enjoy Kava, it kind of feels like a couple drinks to me.

It is relaxing but not really sedating. You can definitely notice it though.

dharma bum
01-15-2012, 08:42 AM
If I remember right you want at least 30% Kavalactones. The liver damage was proved to have been caused by cheaper brand capsules that had left stems and other shit in there. I can find a source for that if you need it. Maybe that has been disproved since.

I had a couple lbs of this real fine powder and you need a strainer which are cheap. When I drank it I got a not unpleasant numbing of the gums and mouth, a little stomach discomfort but it did allow me to relax 3-4 hours. Alleviated klonopin w/d a little. I think concentrating on the ritual of making the kava kava drink relaxed me and brought my mind into focus.

PoppyLlama
01-15-2012, 09:15 AM
I really like kava kava, I get this nasty tasting stuff thats a liquid extract, but it works SOO well. says to use 10 drops for 25 mgs kavalactones, I usually use like several droppers full, probably around 150-200 mgs kavalactones.

I find it to be similar to benzos or somas. just a nice relaxing feeling, mellow euphoria.

Dr. McKay
01-15-2012, 09:32 AM
One time a long ,long time ago I tried to get off of Xanax. Well my wife thought she would help me out by throwing away all of my xanax bars . I had taken about 100 of them and broke them into quarters . It was working well, but I was not ready to stop completely. I ended up getting a severe panic attack. So I tried to call a few people that used to have valium or xanax, and I had no luck.
I ended up going to the grocery store and bought a bottle of Kava Kava tablets.
I took a handful of them, and within 30 minutes my pain attacks stopped.
I could not believe how well they worked.
I used them on and off for a few years after that and did very well.
I dont think that they were taken off of the market but I never see the stuff on the shelf.
So I give Kava 2 thumbs up !

--- auto merge ---

Also I heard that if you get the real stuff over in the Pacific Islands made fresh, it is some very powerful stuff compared to the pills we have here.