PDA

View Full Version : Help with rapid methadone detox schedule

Buckshot
01-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Hi guys, Im trying to get myself clean using a short term methadone taper. I've been clean for months at a time over the last few years and I really miss it. Im ready.

I have a bottle with 100mgs of methadone in 100mls of juice and I have a good pipette to accurately measure doses.
2 weeks ago I tried a different taper with a different 100mg bottle of methadone and got myself down to 5mgs a day and then said fuck it, and spent the last 5 days on quite heavy bender consisting of about 30mgs/day of IV hydromorph with a little tramadol and heroin, but by large my bender was hydromorphone based...

When I did this taper 2 weeks ago I just started at 10mgs/day and held it at 10mgs/day for 7 days then over 3 days lowered to 5mgs...Then I decided to relapse (regrettably) Maybe theres a better way to go, should I have let myself stabilize at 10mgs/day like that?
It was really tuff to just start at 10mgs right away, but after 3 or 4 days it got much easier.

Im confused on what schedule to follow this time...If you were going to attempt a rapid detox with 100mgs of methadone, what schedule would you follow?

Thanks fellow opiophiles;)

Chipper
01-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Ever steered a large boat ? Look, it takes about a week to adjust to any dose reduction and if by too much, add another week. Ok, now you want to drop by percentages; 10% is ok but 20% is much tougher. Choose one of the two variables then step down ... most will keep the time constant and they titrate their dose down by the week.

If you are on 50 mg. then you're in for a relatively easy time if you allow for a 10-12 week detox window.

Anything faster will drive you to relapse. Rapid detoxes aren't the quick fix they purport to be. A decent job takes time ... tapering is no different.

Jumping off 5 mg. has reduced many individuals to tears -- I can't stress enough the benefits of a steady, planned taper that allows for additional "parking" time and possible dose increases/adjustments based on your physiology and life's stresses.

Sleep loss is your enemy here ... Does one rush or not ? I say "don't".

Buckshot
01-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Today I started my taper with just 10mgs of methadone. I plan on staying at 10mgs for few days before lowering.
Yesterday (my last high) was a single injection of 36mgs of hydromorphone.

For me a fast taper is way better than a long one. I learned this in medical detox's where I would be put on 30mgs of methadone and by lowered by 3mgs a day regardless of symptoms. It worked pretty good if you wanted to be clean.

whiterobot122
01-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Does 10mg hold you? What I would do is just use a holding dose for the main part of the hydromorphone withdrawals and then hop off all together before you gain a dependence to the methadone.

opi
01-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Does 10mg hold you? What I would do is just use a holding dose for the main part of the hydromorphone withdrawals and then hop off all together before you gain a dependence to the methadone.
If you are dependent on one opioid, you are dependent on all opioids. What I mean is technically he is already dependent on methadone because it's an opioid just like hydromorphone.

Buckshot-Take it slower, don't drop down so fast. You will be more succesful if you make it as painless as possible.

danny
01-07-2012, 02:32 PM
mate i shivered when i read the title of this, just them three words 'rapid methadone detox' made me think 'this poor fellas in for a rough old time', i done it so many times, rush to get off methadone cause i cant stick the shit, and it never gets us anywhere, even if i start off well i always end up fuckin it up later on

its not cast in stone though, dolofinell done it here, i think jt duffet came down quicker than a lot people would find comfortable, and hes stayed off full stop, so it CAN be done, it just doesnt suit a lot of people to do it that way...another chap done it at the same time as duffet and i cant think of his name, i think hes still good too...

whiterobot122
01-10-2012, 11:11 AM
If you are dependent on oxycodone, that does not mean you are dependent on heroin. Just like with bupe, many people can use bupe for 3-6 days while not using their DOC to make withdrawals less painful and not gain a physical dependence to the bupe itself. A rapid methadone detox is iffy for sure, as stated above. I'd like to hear more about why you believe if you are dependent on one opioid you are dependent on all. IMO I feel the fact that cross tolerance is there is being confused with dependence. Just because you take heroin and methadone can suppress those withdrawal symptoms because it is an opioid also, doesn't mean that the day you take methadone you are physically dependent on it. It's like saying one who is dependent on xanax is dependent on klonopin, they are only dependent on one, but any benzo can help suppress the withdrawal from xanax, it doesn't mean they are physically dependent on all. A long and slow taper will be best but it seems to me like he doesn't want that. I wish him the best of luck though.

Also, I'm more than willing to take back what I said about dependence as long as I see research supporting it or against it.

Count Zero
01-10-2012, 01:00 PM
I must have done a dozen or so fast methadoone tapers over the years. I would never take the methadone for more than 5 or 6 days, if I had 100 mgs I would do 30-25-15-10-5-3 and keep the other 12 in reserve against sleepless nights and discomfort in the second week, although ideally not use it at all if possible. Stretching a done taper out to 10+ days is asking for trouble and not neccessary-the stuff is long acting enough that it will be in your system for a couple of days after you stop taking it.

Buckshot
01-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Well its the 4th day of my rapid done taper, I ended up taking 15 the first 2 days and then yesterday and today have been 10mg days.

This amount doesn't eliminate WD symptoms but it REALLY makes a huge difference compared to nothing at all.

I feel like staying at 10mgs for a few days to stabilize myself before decreasing further but after reading some of your posts it sounds like I should just keep dropping.
I should share that today I went for a walk and for the first time in weeks I felt sort of that natural high when your start producing endorphins are your own....it was nice although it only lasted an hour or so.

Buckshot
01-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Hi guys I just want to tell you I have been methadone free for 7 days today!!!

I had a pretty heavy habit of IV hydromorphone and used 100mgs of methadone over 14 days to get clean. I started at 15mgs and quickly went to 10mgs for a few days. then worked down to 5mgs and stayed there a few days and quickly did 3mgs, 2 mgs, 2mgs. and then the last day was rinsing the bottle with water and drinking that.

not painless but nothing compared to the hell of ct....In fact it was kinda close to painless...just the mornings were a little tuff.

hella
01-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Good shit man. I hope you can stay on the ol' straight and narrow

blackman
01-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Congrats, man. I hope being opiate free is everything you want it to be and more.