PDA

View Full Version : Mom N Pop Pharmacies

flatspin
09-19-2011, 04:51 PM
I've never really considered going to a M&P pharmacy until I've read several post regarding how bad chains are.

I currently use a chain and don't have anything bad to say about them but really nothing good as well.

What are some advantages and disadvantages to M&P's?

Should I switch?

Is pricing better?

Thanks in advance!

jill
09-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Do you use insurance or pay cash for your Rxs?

flatspin
09-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Cash as of now

Carmen
09-19-2011, 05:20 PM
I think it really depends, the two mom & pop pharmacies in my area are very rude, one even claimed that they don't carry "THOSE" types of drugs here, for when I had a prescription for percocets 5mgs, when I know they do cause my grandmother always got her pain medication filled there....

LorTabitha
09-19-2011, 05:50 PM
I currently go to a locally owned pharmacy (they have 4 locations but they're the closest to a "mom & pop" in this town.) The prices for my meds (using the Rx card I posted about in a different thread) are the lowest in town and the service is incredible. I'm in and out within 10 minutes usually, with 4-5 scripts.

flatspin
09-19-2011, 05:52 PM
I currently go to a locally owned pharmacy (they have 4 locations but they're the closest to a "mom & pop" in this town. The prices for my meds (using the Rx card I posted about in a different thread) are the lowest in town and the service is incredible. I'm in and out within 10 minutes usually, with 4-5 scripts.

Dang! My place takes 30 min on my one

ZodiacKiller
09-19-2011, 05:53 PM
I always used one of the last M & Ps here in this city.....while they couldn't offer some of the deals (like the $4 scripts at Target and such), the service was often better and the prices on everything else was competitive. Plus I generally dislike big chain stores of any kind and will buy from a local business if possible just on principle.

ZK

flowergirl
09-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Our family only uses pharmacy, a mom and pop shop. More like a husband and wife shop. ;-)
The only disadvantages I can think of are:

1) They generally have less hours than a typical chain - our place is 9:00am-6:00pm M-F and 9:00-2:00 Sat.
2) If we're traveling and have a problem like forgetting meds, our pharmacy being a single-store operation might pose an issue.

Neither of these have been a problem for me thus far. Customers have his home and cell numbers in case of an emergency, thank goodness. The benefits FAR outweigh those 2 cons. Back when I used to use CVS, a pharmacist at a MI store totally refused to help us with our problem that began in a MD store, so a store having locations around the country doesnt necessarily guarantee you're covered if a problem comes up.

My pharm knows each member of my family, and he always asks about the others by name when I go in. He must have an amazing memory to recall the small things customers tell him in conversation, because for us and everyone else I see walk in, he greets everyone with something personal, like, "How's your mom's leg healing?", "How was Hawaii last month?", etc.

He has also saved our asses several times when my husband inevitably fucks himself with his Dilantin, and lately, when I had an airhead moment with my son's medicine. It is a Schedule II drug, but knowing our history, he had no problem giving several days' worth to last us until we could get to the doctor for a new prescription. That's happened a couple of times, oops. He's more than happy to save us money with cutting larger-dose pills in half rather than filling them as written...

It is very obvious that customer service really is his priority with how much he goes out of his way to make people happy, especially by saving them money. Any time I have ever compared costs, his prices are always cheaper and it is usually a significant difference. As far as waiting, I only ever wait however long it takes him to count out the pills. None of that half-hour bullshit.

Overall, I just prefer to support local family-owned businesses, from pharmacies to restaurants to grocery stores, so this is a logical choice for me and my family. Just so happens his business practices and customer service totally blow any retail chain away.

jimmyfingers
09-19-2011, 07:46 PM
I use my neighborhood pharmacy.

-they deliver to house
-will go the extra mile of you have a problem
-prices are cheaper than chains the few months I was uninsured
-personal service
advice when buying OTC meds
-solid knowledge if recommending. a doc
-quick
-you don't waste a bunch of money on stupid shit in larger stores like CVS when waiting for a script.

Cons
-hours 9-6 closed weekends
-small inventory - drugs that aren't commonly prescribed needs to be ordered and takes an extra day

Support local businesses!

borohydride
09-19-2011, 08:49 PM
I use pharmacy owned by a friend - best service in town.

flatspin
09-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Looks like I need to shop around for a mom and pop pharmacy and see what I’vebeen missing.

dolofina
09-20-2011, 08:13 AM
I also use a local pharmacy- and have done so for many years, now.
I am very happy with their service.
For example, when I was out of subs one time, and my script was
"under review" by my insurance, they had given me 3 days' worth
of subs- free of charge.

-dolofina-

Lady Kenmare
09-20-2011, 08:46 AM
On principle, I dislike chains and all that they stand for. (Especially Walmart!!) However, I get my Rx at Walgreens. There are two stores close to me, and one of them is the 24hr Walgreens in the Castro, which, among other things, has the Wall-o-Lube; seriously like 50 different types of lube, right next to a display of feather boas, I kid you not. Clearly each store has the ability to personalize their stock.

Contrary to what I've heard on the boards, and I'm sure this is just some freaky exception, the pharmacists at both Walgreens are very friendly, know me by name, and never even blink at my monthly narcotics Rxs. And, they have an excellent discount card program that has saved me a lot of $$.

There's a M&P store around the corner from the Castro Walgreens, and I went in just to see if they carried the gel-type Fent patches. The lady behind the counter practically had a conniption; she stammered out that "those are very strong narcotics, and you need an ID before I can give them to you". She didn't actually answer my question about the gel patches, and duh--I know they are strong and also know the drill with freaking showing your ID for C-IIs. And this is a pharmacy that supposedly specializes in HIV patients, who must certainly use strong C-II narcotics--way to be sensitive, lady.

So, Walgreens it is. And, besides stocking such an impressive selection of lubes, they also have more Japanese snacks than any other place I've seen outside of Japantown. (Pocky!)

borohydride
09-20-2011, 09:03 AM
So, Walgreens it is. And, besides stocking such an impressive selection of lubes...

I have found that foreplay makes an acceptable substitute in emergency situations...

jill
09-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Looks like I need to shop around for a mom and pop pharmacy and see what I’vebeen missing.

I don't know what chain you are at, and it really doesn't matter now. However, if you are having NO problems (as you indicated earlier) and happy with the service, I don't see any reason to change other than to call around and check prices.

If you aren't using a discount card of some type, many websites have been posted here, and I have 2 cards that I wrote of in another thread if anyone wants them, that can save you money since you are paying cash for your Rxs.

You could do a search for the mom & pops in your area using the card and get prices ahead of time. You also have to consider the hours of the store if you are going from a big chain to a m&p before changing. What seems like it won't be a big deal in the beginning, might end up being inconvenient or really bother you later.

For example, I have to have somewhere open weekends and evenings, most m&p's don't do this. I also come from a family of pharmacists that run m&p pharmacies and have since 1970 or earlier.

So, I see both sides, you have to do what is best all around for you in the future.

I keep Rxs at both, and have worked at both as a pharmacist. There is the push for the $ in all of them. Some are just more discreet...and compassionate.

I can say that when I have had Rxs screwed up or delayed by a drs office I have been offered emergency supplies of several days from both chains and m&ps, so that is not necessarily exclusive.

The important thing is to build a relationship with your pharmacist and store, wherever you are and you will no doubt get the best service. Pharmacy jumping with the benefit of gift cards, etc. is not something best to do on a regular basis as some do. Patients that change every month aren't going to get the best or real personalized service anywhere, just because they aren't well known to the pharmacist/staff (and it doesn't matter what you are filling, CS2's or not).

I would suggest you start looking around, especially as far as price is concerned (don't let location seem like not a big deal either, if you are working), gather your info and then make the decision.

If you want a discount card I have, I have them available and if you want I can look up what stores take them and what the med prices are when I have some time today or tomorrow. Just VM or email me through my profile if interested.
BTW, I get nothing out of this (financially and not related to any party that does) just trying to help people get the best service and prices out there.

gameface
09-20-2011, 10:52 AM
The important thing is to build a relationship with your pharmacist and store, wherever you are and you will no doubt get the best service. Pharmacy jumping with the benefit of gift cards, etc. is not something best to do on a regular basis as some do. Patients that change every month aren't going to get the best or real personalized service anywhere, just because they aren't well known to the pharmacist/staff (and it doesn't matter what you are filling, CS2's or not).

This is so true. My pops is a cpp'r (patches and oxy's) My mom is an A-tech at our local Fred Meyer (Kroger) pharmacy. They are divorced, but still get along well. He has never had a problem with getting his CII's filled. They got his state insurance on lock, and generally within 15 min of dropping his papers off, hes leaving with the goods.

flatspin
09-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the advice!

I actually did some snooping around this morning and am excited about switching.

I found a local pharmacy that actually says they specialize in pain management medication

When I called they were super nice and personal. It was like they were actually selling there self to me which means a lot. Coming from achain I feel like they are herding cattle.

They told me if there price wasn’t better they would eithermatch or beat my past pharmacies prices if I could show them what I was paying.

I’m super excited!

LorTabitha
09-20-2011, 11:37 AM
That's awesome flatspin!

If any of you play the "jumping pharmacies for gift cards game" - I did that once a few years back because of my bleak financial situation (the gift cards bought all my food for a year). After a couple months, my original pharmacist called and asked me why I left. I was honest with him and he told me that his pharmacy honored all other gift card offers, so I was able to have my cake and eat it too. Literally. :-)

Moral of the story is if you like your current pharmacy, ask if they price match and honor other pharmacies' incentives. You'll never know if you don't ask. (my m & p matches the $4 Walmart price on meds but only if you ask)

I want to also chime in about the discount cards jill mentioned. They have saved me a ton o' cash. I was paying close to $100 for two of my scripts & now I get 5 scripts for around that price. (Thanks again jill! I appreciate you looking out for those of us without insurance, as well as all your harm reduction assistance.)

flatspin
09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
I want to also chime in about the discount cards jill mentioned. They have saved me a ton o' cash. I was paying close to $100 for two of my scripts & now I get 5 scripts for around that price. (Thanks again jill! I appreciate you looking out for those of us without insurance, as well as all your harm reduction assistance.)

+10000! Thanks for the info!

seven10kids
09-20-2011, 05:54 PM
only good thing about chain is 24hr ones.

m&p usually will bend the rules more. some chains will only fill every 30 days, when at least they should give you the usual 2 day grace period of 28 day refills. I hear of chains pulling more bullshit than mom and pop. I prefer the ones that are kinda like in the middle. They are like owned by a bigger corporation but are independently owned.

viking
09-20-2011, 06:31 PM
I use a kroger / dillons pharmacy but, the kicker is I've known the head pharmacist since I was born and went to private schools with his kids. Ultra helpful id never go anywhere else id almost drive here to get stuff if I ever moved away he's helped me out several times.

The_Highwayman
09-20-2011, 08:47 PM
I go to a chain pharmacy and I do soley for the convience aspect. It's the closest pharmacy to my house and also that it is a chain, depending on my travels and I go to a different one and pick up/drop off my script...the closest M & P places are like a 20 minute drive and some of them are not in the best neighborhoods...and truthfully I have ZERO complaints about the pharmacy I go to, they recently changed locations so there was some BS with that but now they are up and running fine..I try to not wait until the last minute to get my scripts filled, but when I do they are always filled in 10 minutes or so...

On the flip side if they were closer I would go to a M & P simply to support the samll business-person, but seriously IME the people who work there (M & P) are the MOST rude and judgemental when it comes to citizens like ourselves who are scripted these horrible, dangerous, DRUGS...

OCD
09-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Honestly I would NEVER go to a chain for anything unless I absolutely HAD TO because of insurance or the mom and pops not having what I needed. I have had nothing but overpriced asshole people in chain pharmacies and I would never go back...

Princess Kitty
09-23-2011, 05:34 PM
I go to a chain pharmacy and have thinking of finding a mom and pop. I think just the customer service and being on a first name basis is what I would want. But then again at my chain if I'm a day or two early they will fill for me. So right now I'll stay where I'm at

John T Hooker
10-02-2011, 04:29 AM
i used to go to walmart for my pain medicine but they'll tell you an hour so I end up hanging around and it usually ends up being 3. Never went back after that episode. I go to a local place and they are awesome to me. I can get my refill every 27 days and they never judge. The only bad thing now is the doctor wants to see me before I get my xanax refilled and I dont have the money so I kind of feel shitty. He WILL NOT let me pay later, I've tried.

srqmoviemaker
10-02-2011, 05:29 AM
I voted chain mainly because of the reason that they take insurance and work in conjunction with my pain management Dr. But I do like mom and pop pharmacies As well because it is more "at home" feeling and for certian meds i go to them (they dont carry oxys but they have enough lortab 10/500 for me lol)

harmonik
10-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Local pharmacies are awesome.

Mine lets me make a month's worth of payment arrangements if I can't pay that day... and they also will give you smaller bottles of codeine without a script, although you must give your license and sign a log like with sudafed.

borohydride
10-02-2011, 09:56 AM
If I lived near Jill - I would use HER pharmacy (I suspect everyone here feels the same).

jill
10-02-2011, 10:53 AM

Mine lets me make a month's worth of payment arrangements if I can't pay that day... and they also will give you smaller bottles of codeine without a script, although you must give your license and sign a log like with sudafed.

Harmy, do you have some type of insurance for Rxs?

If not, I have a Rx card that I can check and see if you can use it at your current pharmacy and what the prices would be.

Haha, thanks, boro!

Dolofinell
10-02-2011, 12:29 PM
I use a local M&P, they are great. They specialize in making compounds, mostly working with pain management and HRT, also vet. compounds according to the owner/head pharmacist, he's very cool.
My subutex cost $108/#45 a month compared to $220-240 at walgreens and other chains. My Kpin script is $9 there, I fill my atenolol(bp) at walmart because its a $4 med. and the M&P doesnt do that.

jill
10-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Hey Dolo, have you had a chance to look at the information I emailed you? (It went to a yahoo address, probably the one you are registered here with).

If you can pick several, I will get back to you tonight or in the AM at the latest. If you want to add other script information to it, please do. I am more than happy to try and help.

Meanwhile, you might want to call them and confirm your cash price for your next fill of the subutex. From talking to retail pharmacists, it sounds as if there has been a recent price hike on the generic 'texes.

Urinesample
10-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I live near Washington D.C. in the Virginia suburbs so it's hard to find a good M&P store around here. I've never really looked because there's literally a chain every minute down the main road here and if I want to cross into Maryland or W. VA to avoid an problems with nearby pharmacies checking refills (I get separate scripts on refills) I can just do that. My current chain pharmacy has to be on of the busiest in the country outside of a major city like New York or LA or Chicago or something, because they're last name signs in the storage bins are at least 7 feet long for each letter, and you can see at least 100 in each one at any given time of the year.

So yeah, my chain is great, it's a major grocery store. However, being the store they are they inevitably move staff around to different stores every few years. I actually worked there for a while and I knew all the staff by name, now they're all gone and its new people. I usually try to avoid some pharmacists because they're a-holes who wont fill my 2 week sleep med early even on day 12 or 13. I get 160+ Oxy 30s every 2 weeks or so and there have been times that none of the stores around have had them. If I go back before 3 weeks since they're supposed to last at least that much, I'll go to another chain down the street that costs 20$ more per RX. It's worth it to get it early as you all know instead of suffering to go to just one pharmacy.

Lady Kenmare
10-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Local Chain Does Good

I've never had any trouble using Walgreens, though I'm well aware of the torture inflicted upon others in the name of "corporate rules". The Walgreens two blocks from my house burned down, along with the apartment buildings over it in a spectacular 5-alarm fire two weeks ago. The whole neighborhood--100s and 100s of people were watching the scene; it was really awesome and horrible at once.

This is my Walgreens, though there are two others within easy walking distance. So imagine my surprise when I got a call from the pharmacist about 10 days later. I asked him where he'd be working and if all the staff were going to get transferred--yes to both. He took about 5 minutes to go over what he'd done for my refills and he'd called the pharmacist at the other store closest to me to explain my CII history--that i wasn't a scammer. I asked him, and he said he did that for all of his CII patients so they wouldn't have to deal with the super-stressful runaround that we've all received at a new pharmacy--you know, "we have to call your doctor; we have to verify your ID with the DMV database; it might take 2-3 days"--that BS. I could barely believe it. I hung up the phone and was like, whahappen??

So, again, Walgreens is in a happy place for me.

Lady Kenmare
10-13-2011, 02:34 AM
I apologize in advance for this, but there is a dweeby side of me that will not be put down. So...about that combustible Walgreen's down me block:

Walgreen's Burning (dun da da dun dun dun)
All across the L'oer Haight, All across the night
The pharmy phiends are phreaking for all pills in sight

Walgreen's Burning 999999
Walgreen's Burning 999999

(many apologies to The Clash)

dizzle
10-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Dude I think if I saw a Walgreens on fire I'd find a way to sneak in and boost as many CII pills as possible.

I'm actually a fully functioning member of society with one and a half jobs (FT and PT), pay my bills, etc.

But that is the FIRST and ONLY thing that comes to mind when I think of a Walgreens, CVS, etc- burning down. And on my way out, pray I didn't get fucked with if I got stopped.

Lady Kenmare
10-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Dude I think if I saw a Walgreens on fire I'd find a way to sneak in and boost as many CII pills as possible.

I'm actually a fully functioning member of society with one and a half jobs (FT and PT), pay my bills, etc.

But that is the FIRST and ONLY thing that comes to mind when I think of a Walgreens, CVS, etc- burning down. And on my way out, pray I didn't get fucked with if I got stopped.

I walked down to watch the fire when it was really cranking. There's no possible way anyone could have pilfered anything--we're talking three story flames. I kept on thinking about how they keep all the CII's in a locked safe-thingy, and how they'd get all melted into a delicious confection. Ahh, to get my hands on that mess!

BUT, this being the Lower Haight, I also must have heard at least 10 people moaning about all the wasted good shit and "if I only had a fire suit..." BTW, no one was hurt in the store or the apts above.

reddragon3668
10-13-2011, 01:04 PM
The only chain pharmacy I've ever used since I started having to use one regularly is a Marsh Foods store. That's only because my wife's dad and sister were pharmacist there. They'd fill my stuff and bring it to me allot of times. Other than that, its a M&P store. The one I have now is amazing. I don't think I've ever waited more than 5 minutes for a script.. pharmacist knows me by name.. hell, I can call about something and every pharmacist there knows my voice.. and its not like I call allot. Just good people, all the way around.

Jill, does that card help with co-pays? If so, I am interested if you have the time, send me the info. Email is in my profile.

/RANT: Why is medicine so god-awful expensive for people without insurance? I thought I was going to have to go without insurance for a while and I called the pharmacy to see how much it was going to cost me to stay alive. It was going to cost me over 2500 dollars for my scripts. My Lantus Pen script (diabetes med) was almost 1200 dollars by itself. Thankfully, I didn't have to go without insurance, but I began noticing how much the insurance was paying for those scripts. They pay less than 200 dollars for the Lantus script (1 bx/5 pens), and I paid a 60 dollar co-pay. That's 260... at that price, the manufacturer is making money and the pharmacist is making money. They are certainly are not giving the shit away. So, why mark the shit up another 1000 dollars for a cash paying customer? That should be fucking illegal! /END RANT

xxemoxx
10-13-2011, 07:33 PM

what on earth state is this that still allows counter RX's for Codeine to be issued, omg that would be a life saver!!!!!

Also I prefer chain as an uninsured, not qualified to be state covered ( because i am a student but if i quit work and school they would cover me ) and etc. The chains are nice because they match COSTCO or WALMART pricing which on some stuff the cash pay for my rx's is cheaper then an insurance co-pay would be anyway.

The personiality / comfortable stuff is people skills held by those employed there, and sadly certain things in some states do not fly like a couple day extra back -up's or allowing earlier then dosage says fills even if its a day or 2.

YOu can thank out lovely police state/country for that

Princess Kitty
10-13-2011, 08:06 PM
what on earth state is this that still allows counter RX's for Codeine to be issued, omg that would be a life saver!!!!!

Also I prefer chain as an uninsured, not qualified to be state covered ( because i am a student but if i quit work and school they would cover me ) and etc. The chains are nice because they match COSTCO or WALMART pricing which on some stuff the cash pay for my rx's is cheaper then an insurance co-pay would be anyway.

The personiality / comfortable stuff is people skills held by those employed there, and sadly certain things in some states do not fly like a couple day extra back -up's or allowing earlier then dosage says fills even if its a day or 2.

YOu can thank out lovely police state/country for that

Canada

xxemoxx
10-13-2011, 08:20 PM
AWE that explains it, Milk comes in bags, the crippled dude from Degrassi becomes a "rapper" with street cred. and u get codeine OTC kinda.......... but still cannot own a handgun..... :-/ The land of Hockey and Beer if only snow didn't bother me so much....

And the country would let me in.

Dr. Doper
10-13-2011, 08:28 PM
I hate chain pharmacies because of Rite-Aid. When I was started on Suboxone my doc wrote me 30 for 14 days to see what dose I would need (That doc was the most compassionate and knowledgeable doctor ive ever been to). The pharmacist filled it as a 30 day supply and they refused to fill the second one, despite calls from my doctor. He sent me to a mom and pop and I walked out within 10 minutes with the rest of my subs.

Princess Kitty
10-13-2011, 10:06 PM
I hate chain pharmacies because of Rite-Aid. When I was started on Suboxone my doc wrote me 30 for 14 days to see what dose I would need (That doc was the most compassionate and knowledgeable doctor ive ever been to). The pharmacist filled it as a 30 day supply and they refused to fill the second one, despite calls from my doctor. He sent me to a mom and pop and I walked out within 10 minutes with the rest of my subs.

I've had issues with Rite Aid too. My last rx I was told could fill a day early from my dr. The pharmacist took one look and said it would be a couple hours. I didn't hear anything and came back 2 hours later. They said they couldn't fill til the next day. I said ok fine. Why the fuck didn't they call me???? I come back first thing in the morning and they open 20 minutes late. I wait for over an hour for them to fill it. They weren't even busy!!! So Fuck them! I'm looking for a new pharmacy!!

Indy
10-13-2011, 10:39 PM
I don't think harmonik is in Canada, and even if he is, plenty of states have an exempt narcotics law that allows codeine to be sold without prescription at the pharmacist's discretion. Good luck finding a pharmacy that is willing to sell it, though.

methadoniac1972
10-14-2011, 02:38 AM
if o/p is on a cp pain mgmt contract he should make sure the dr, knows of the intention to switch pharmacies..failure to do so could result in being dropped from pain mgmt......

i used to go to a local m&p...chain that was owned by a very orthodox catholic family...did not/would not stock/sell birth control of any kind ...and no rigs w/out rx.....so much for harm reduction there..the walgreens was so much more nicer and helpful....altho always wanting id to verify age (im 39) and always providing the hep abcdefg paper w/it...(not sure i like that after tellling them i have been diabetic 20+ years) but no hassles ever...

the m&p wouldn't sell me primatene mist in a midst of a asthma attack w/out id (i left it home) and i had to crawl across the street to get it from walgreens where i go now...always...if i had died....they would have id'd me from the name on my workshirt and i def look over 18!....fukem my $$$ goes to the corporate now

soydiddy
11-07-2011, 03:10 AM
How do you find MnP in your area?? I'm awlays at the chains, Walgreens, for my a215s etc but I would love to find a mom'n'pop...any suggestions, ideas, referrals? I'm in the bay bay bay area---peninsual fyi

thanks..have a good nite.

PriceofPills
11-07-2011, 03:13 AM
Mom 'n Pop for sure.

The only downside is they don't always have enough pills to fill all 150 roxi 30's and all 150 dilaudid 8's at once but they're always willing to sub the rest in with 15's and 4's

jill
11-07-2011, 09:38 AM
How do you find MnP in your area?? I'm awlays at the chains, Walgreens, for my a215s etc but I would love to find a mom'n'pop...any suggestions, ideas, referrals? I'm in the bay bay bay area---peninsual fyi

It should be pretty easy. If you have insurance that depends on it, go through insurance and find out where you can go first.

If you don't have insurance, just try Google for pharmacies in your zip code.

If you don't have insurance and want to send me your zip code (VM or email via my profile) I can give you the names of ones in your area. I also have discount cards that most, if not all, of the mom and pops take for the non-insured.

Let me know if you need that type of help.

MMC
11-07-2011, 10:08 AM

http://www.ncpanet.org/index.php/find-an-independent-pharmacy <-- this link doesn't bring up all of them, but it seems to work pretty well. for me it brings up the one that i use 90% of the time these days.

SubHuman
11-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Arent these smaller pharmacies way more expensive though? I use walmart for my meds only because its the cheapest I can find, I dont like going in that huge store though that always has lines and long waiting times. Its weird how pharms vary so much in prices, youd think there would be some standard they are supposed to go by. Like the target right down the street from where I fill my script its 205$ for 30 8mg roxanne 'tex vs walmart its 108$ for the same exact thing. Theres only realy one small mom n pop one around here that I know of and I called and their price was sky high too.

MMC
11-07-2011, 12:34 PM
^^ re:prices - it really depends on the pharmacy. the independent place i use now is generally cheaper than most every other pharmacy, chain or indy, in my area. granted i could get my blood pressure meds for a buck or two cheaper elsewhere, but as for the scheduled meds they're on par with or cheaper than most everyone.

however, there's another independent i've used before that seems to gouge people on prices sometimes. i've had him drop the price on a script almost 60% because he was so much higher than what i'd been paying at another pharmacy. then when my doc switched my meds recently i called him to check pricing and he quoted me almost $250 for the two, but the place i go to all the time now had me out the door for under $45.

just like every other type of business - some good, some bad.

jill
11-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Arent these smaller pharmacies way more expensive though? I use walmart for my meds only because its the cheapest I can find, I dont like going in that huge store though that always has lines and long waiting times. Its weird how pharms vary so much in prices, youd think there would be some standard they are supposed to go by. Like the target right down the street from where I fill my script its 205$ for 30 8mg roxanne 'tex vs walmart its 108$ for the same exact thing. Theres only realy one small mom n pop one around here that I know of and I called and their price was sky high too.

No, usually the mom n pops have more room to play with pricing than the chains do.

Are you paying cash (no insurance) for your Rxs?

If you are and want to email (preferable) or VM me your zip code, I can get you the names of some that take the discount card/s I have and most people that pay cash (especially if it's a generic) have cut their prices 40% or so from what they were paying.

PoppyLlama
11-18-2011, 04:49 PM
I would like to try the M&P pharmacy around my town, but I am locked into the walgreens one. However, all the pharmacists know me there and know my med preferences and have no problems giving me what i need, plus they are really cheap and at the most take like 20 mins to fill a script. and all scripts are 10 dollars

digby
11-18-2011, 11:40 PM
No one ever stocks all the different drugs I need so ordering them is pretty much standard operating procedure for me. But Mom & Pop pharm gets their orders in in 24 hours - the Rite Aid chain takes at least 2 or 3 days and sometimes a week. M & P will almost always have a choice of 2 or 3 generic companies in addition to brand while chain store limits you to one generic - whichever one their supplier is currently pushing.

Service has been stellar at M & P and horrible at chain stores for me. I've even had the main pharmacist call me at home to make sure everything is ok after I had a disagreement with one of the pharm clerks one day. Just night and day difference between the two. I've even had M & P order just for me up to a 6 months supply of certain drugs that were in short supply or almost unavailable.

PriceofPills
11-18-2011, 11:43 PM
No, usually the mom n pops have more room to play with pricing than the chains do.

Are you paying cash (no insurance) for your Rxs?

If you are and want to email (preferable) or VM me your zip code, I can get you the names of some that take the discount card/s I have and most people that pay cash (especially if it's a generic) have cut their prices 40% or so from what they were paying.

I've found mom 'n pops to be quite a bit cheaper. The dud at mine only charged $4 for my ativan when riteaid wanted $17

MMC
11-19-2011, 06:19 AM
...but I am locked into the walgreens one.... plus they are really cheap and at the most take like 20 mins to fill a script. and all scripts are 10 dollars

the independent one i mainly use is generally cheaper and i don't think i've ever been in the place more than 10 minutes. hell, i think the 10 minutes was on my first visit when they needed all my info. most of the time i'm in & out in about 5 minutes.

i used to go to walgreens all the time back when i had insurance as copays were the same everywhere and back then i really wasn't into pills at all. now i just hit them up for rigs. i was turned down trying to buy rigs there a couple of years back, but recently i called down to them inquiring if they had a certain size that was backordered on an order i placed with an online vendor (a complete fabrication, but i thought it would be easier than getting rejected while standing in the store). the pharmacist was very helpful on the phone and when i went in to get the ones we talked about i had no problems whatsoever. actually i did have one problem - i wanted, and received, a 3cc rig....but it was a BD Integra. i didn't notice it at first but i was kind of ticked when i realized it at home. these are the ones with the 'retractable' needle and aren't typical luer-lock tips. they still work ok, but i'd rather just have a standard rig. oh well....

jaupoon
12-15-2011, 11:01 PM
i have always bought my opiates from 1 trustworthy small time dealer who only sells to a few friends indoors for about 10 years. however the few times ive had to legitimately acquare pharmaceuticals, i prefer mom and pop because i'd rather support a small local business with my $. im the same with groceries and other items too, they're generally friendlier too.