PDA

View Full Version : Butalbital - Whats it like?

Sunwheel
09-17-2006, 11:40 PM
I was recently given a couple 50mg Butalbital pills. I know they're barbituates, but I'm curious, I can't find any good descriptions of what a barb high is like. Anyone ever try em? Is there any euphoria, or will it just make me relax?

Anyways, any help/advice is appreciated. I never even heard of people using barbs these days, I was REALLY surprised to see em...they don't sound that interesting, but what the hell? I could use some help falling asleep sometimes... :o And don't worry, I have no way to get more, its from an acquaintance's presciption from June.

superman
09-17-2006, 11:47 PM
sedating mainly. i'm not a fan. take it with some H and it feels like death!

Sunwheel
09-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks! Thats what I wsa thinking...I'll prolly try em for sleep some time this week.

chemboy7
09-18-2006, 01:15 AM
I happen to like Barbituates quite a bit, alot of people do, although Butalbital is kinda weak (most of them that you would be able to get your hands on these days are). Being a CNS depressant, yes it will be sedating, but that is not the entirity of the experience. Barbituate highs are kind of hard to explain, most people compare them to alcohol; but this is wrong. They do have a wobbly intoxicated feel to them, thus the title "wallbangers"... but there is more going on with them. They do potentiate Opaites and thus have the potential to cause death when used together; but I would say if you get the dosage right they go together nicely.

john_doe
09-18-2006, 01:53 AM
I have heard Butalbital is quite weak. Seconal and Amytal are the ones that are pretty strong. Seconal is probably one of the best. There are other ones beside that, such as Nembutal but I doubt any doctor will prescribe any of the "barbs" I mentioned. Most of the barbiturates are being phased out and replaced with newer drugs such as benzodiazepenes, and of course the newer "Z" drugs (Zaleplon, Zolpidem, Zopiclone). Some older doctors might still prescribe Nembutal, Seconal, Amytal and the other ones so you may get lucky. Butalbital is the "barb" that is widely prescribed, but it's usually in combination with caffeine or codeine. Unfortunately I have never tried Butalbital so you can try it for me and report back to us on how it was. Thanks :)

Paregoric Kid
09-18-2006, 11:02 PM
I think there's already a post about this somewhere. it's similar to benzos, like valium, xanax, etc. it's kind of like being drunk, it's a downer/barbiturate. I did a lot of the ones with codeine in it but they don't have much butalbital in it you have to do a bunch.

johnny27
09-20-2006, 01:53 PM
be cafeful if there's paracetomol in them, don't pop to many. I would also like to here your experience, with using barbs for the first time. Like a few of us, i was'nt born in the good ole downer years.

WarmCyanide
09-20-2006, 06:35 PM
some butes have other shit in them good point johnny. I took a couple the other day and had a good time mowing my front yard.

devilsdrug
09-20-2006, 08:48 PM
what i d give for couple of f40s bullits

repeek
09-21-2006, 02:31 AM
I would save them to help fight off withdrawl. Although they are good to potentiate opiates.

SalvationThroughDilaudid
12-13-2006, 06:55 AM
I happen to like Barbituates quite a bit, alot of people do, although Butalbital is kinda weak (most of them that you would be able to get your hands on these days are). Being a CNS depressant, yes it will be sedating, but that is not the entirity of the experience. Barbituate highs are kind of hard to explain, most people compare them to alcohol; but this is wrong. They do have a wobbly intoxicated feel to them, thus the title "wallbangers"... but there is more going on with them. They do potentiate Opaites and thus have the potential to cause death when used together; but I would say if you get the dosage right they go together nicely.

What he said...intoxicating like alcohol feeling. I actually had hangovers from butalbital. Before the hydros, my doc had me on fiornal with codeine, and I was taking like 8 a day. I think the ones I had were 50/325/40/40 of butalbital,aspirin,caffiene, and codeine, in that order. Everything I've looked up says they are chemically similar to alcohol, so I wouldn't mix them with strong opiates, in fact I'm suprised they even contain codeine. Oh and as a side note, fiornal has aspirin, fiorcet has tylenol, and I'm not sure, but I believe some preperations have 650mg of tylenol instead of the 325mg like mine were, so watch out for that whole exploding liver thing.

Papa Verine
12-13-2006, 08:17 AM
I used to pop phenobarbital and butabarbitol (sp???). I find that benzodiazepines feel A LOT better. I didn't get any euphoria from the phenobarbitol. It was just sedating. Benzos are sedating but have that warm fuzzy peaceful feeling. I didn't get that from the barbs I've taken.

Flagg
12-17-2006, 03:15 AM
I take these and love 'em, although I pay too much for 'em.

If you get these from an online pharmacy, which you may be doing since I've never heard of a doc prescribing this medication for migraines or tension headaches who doesn't work for the internet, check your pills by running their numbers and colors through a search engine (pharmer.org has threads with common bubalbital pill listings, as well). The blue ones are better; the fat white ones just seem to break down and don't seem to be as effective.

Once I double-check my pills to verify the 50/40/325 status, I usually pop a quad - it's a hair over a gram of APAP at once, but I've had prescribed dosages of 5/500 hydrocodones that equal a gram, so I assume it's fine if you don't do it several times a day. If your particular SWIM is just getting these, have him START WITH TWO and see how they make him feel, then bump with one if he feels OKAY (i.e. no breathing slow-down, etc.) Don't do it at night, since he'll be awake forever (a bar gets me the same caffeine as two cups of coffee, I think).

The high is calm and glassy, exactly like mary jane without the giggling and loss of control. I experience this high starting about 20-30 minutes after chewed or swallowed and come off the high an hour later. Most reporters feel no euphoria, but I do personally; I just might be lucky (it's a different euphoria, not warm and tingly like opies but ... pleasant). The effect is a little like a weak benzo, say an ativan or two, but you keep your goddam memory and you don't do stupid shit. One of the things that I like most about Bubalbital is that I don't lose control at all, just like with low doses of opiates. I also feel a little open and chattery, but caffeine does this to me at high doses and it might be that. If caffeine gives you the jitters at high doses, don't worry; bubalbital takes it away (in fact, there was a drug on the market in the 60's that had an amphetamine and barbiturate mix to make you alert without the jitters, perfect!)

If I use daily, I find that tolerance builds fast, so have your SWIM keep it a weekend-warrior thing when you're out of everything else. It's a last-ditch high, but a decent one; it's unscheduled even with the relatively low dose of APAP so no worrying about consultations or paying other huge fees (I get mine for around 60 for a bottle of 90).

As a warning, I've heard barbie WD's are a son of a bitch, so, like I said, have your SWIM weekend-warrior it. Also, keep the bastards around for headaches, because they WORK (nevermind what conservative doctors say about their effectiveness nowadays). I suffer some hella migraines, and these guys take the pain to the cleaners better than opiates for me.

I had a bad hangover one morning, and took only two of these, and the relief of my horrible headache was one of the best euphoric experiences I've ever felt. However don't mix with alcohol (even sans the APAP barbiturates don't play nice with alcohol); if you're suffering through a hangover only a little dab will do ya fine (since you still have part of that alcohol in your system).

If a high is desired, take them on an absolutely empty stomach (>5 hours after eating, 6 if your meal was particularly huge). Even a few pieces of chocolate will ruin an experience for me. If I'm tired out I take three before work, wake up to the caffeine, and ride a nice high through the first part of my day :D

In short, the high is nice but not the best; I enjoy it immensely but it may not be as glowing for everyone. If your SWIM likes it, keep an eye on him so he doesn't start using too much. or too much at one time. If he is, come off 'em slowly and surely with confidence and care. As I say with all this crap, if you're not going to be careful enough to not use, then at least be careful when you use.

Flagg
12-17-2006, 03:18 AM
Also, I'm going to attempt a cold-extraction on a few pills from my next bottle, as per opiates. Phenobarbital is supposed to be highly soluble in water (yay!) but I can't find shite about the solubility of butalbital. I don't mind wasting a few pills to try out, especially since I only have about $5 of pills to lose (well, if the water doesn't work, I'll eat the strain-out anyway :p ) and a world of no fuckin APAP to gain if it does.

flipside
12-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Also, I'm going to attempt a cold-extraction on a few pills from my next bottle, as per opiates. Phenobarbital is supposed to be highly soluble in water (yay!) but I can't find shite about the solubility of butalbital. I don't mind wasting a few pills to try out, especially since I only have about $5 of pills to lose (well, if the water doesn't work, I'll eat the strain-out anyway :p ) and a world of no fuckin APAP to gain if it does.

Are u saying you are going to try to IV Butalbital?

I totally agree with CB7 here. If that happens not to be your experience..

. as you said..you can use them for sleep. They do work well for that...all by thier lonesome.
Do be sure to report back.

I just noticed how old the original post was. Guess Sunwheel has gotten his answer by now.LOL! Flagg I still am interested in what you are saying though..

Flagg
12-17-2006, 05:10 PM
I did mean cold water extraction in the sense of hydrocodone or anything with APAP - grind the pills to a halt, put it in some warm water and dissolve completely, put it in the freezer, check up on it, and right before ice forms, get it out, filter the powder (which will definitely have the APAP) and the remaining liquid may or may not have clean (-ish) bubalibtal, which I would drink. or evap down to a powder and snort.

However, unlike codeine, I don't know what the solubility of bubalbital is. It might not even dissolve in hot water. It might, like the APAP, dissolve in hot water and then crystallize in the cold, leaving the water after the filtering process ... well, just plain old water. Phenobartital is reportedly soluble in water, but there's no pheono/APAP pills readily available the last time I checked :D

Flagg
12-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Just did a cold-water on six pills to fend off a migraine (CWE as explained in the hydrocodone/codeine forums) and can verify truthfully that I am most royally fucked up. No ore migrains!

Chemical_Boy
12-17-2006, 11:31 PM
I used to get butalbitol in Fioricet. Never really felt anything that I could identify. I tried eating 6 or 7 of them and drinking a bunch of beer. I suppose if the feeling is similar to alcohol, the beer might have over-shadowed the barbituate feeling. I tried eating them sober too, but remember not feeling anything. This was back in my early pill days when I was trying to get some vicodin, so needless to say I was a bit disappointed. I am not sure the mg content in fioricet, so I couldn't tell you how much I took, but I wrote them off as ok for getting rid of a minor headache but not much else.

Flagg
12-17-2006, 11:45 PM
I think it's either 40 or 50 mg.

Chipper
12-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Barbs can *REALLY* do your memory in.

*** They also accumulate in your system so leave a week between tests ***

SWIM did a few Tuinals (sp?) and couldn't remember much at all.

Barbs are scary !

flipside
12-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Glad it worked for your headache. I misread your intention as was concerned for your safety. All's good. And to my knowlege I've only ever recently seen the phenobarb syrup, although I do remember being given pills in the hospital years ago when trying to detox off benzo's.

Well be safe and enjoy if they work for you. Just heed evryone's advice. barbs can be..well it's already been said and I'm sure it's nothing you aren't alreay aware of.