PDA

View Full Version : Robitussin AC OTC in MI?

drexl
07-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Anybody with any experience in acquiring OTC codeine cough syrup in Michigan? I can't seem to find a straight answer and was hoping someone could help who has gotten OTC in Mi.

I'm only asking because I have 2 weeks until my appointment with doctor and have antibiotics for this cold but would like a little codeine cough syrup to take the edge off the sore throat at least.

Thanks in advance.

hairandwine
07-08-2011, 08:02 PM
NO codeine is sold OTC in MI that I have ever heard of. I don't think anywhere in the USA for that matter.

You might be able to get some in CANADA if you want, but I don't know if it comes in a syrup form. I have only found Tylenol with Codeine (8mgs per either 250 or 500 mgs of APAP) in Canada, and was successfully able to bring it back to the USA in a normal Tylenol bottle. Was no hassle buying it or CWEing it either. I had no tolerance and actually enjoyed it. You can do that.

drexl
07-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Yeah I use to be able to hop on the Ambassador bridge back in the day and hit several pharms with the wife and bring it back for my mom and us as well for minor shit like headaches and everything. I wish it were still like that though but now you need an enhanced DL or passport neither of which I have anymore, so no go to Canada. :(

Spork
07-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Yeah you can get C(V) cough syrup OTC (behind the pharmacy counter) in Michigan, but I doubt any of the chain pharmacies are going to sell it to you. I'd try one of the smaller mom and pop pharmacies and say that you've tried the "on the shelf" stuff and it hasn't helped your cough.

flowergirl
07-08-2011, 08:42 PM
What general area are you in? I know of
a few places depending on where you are...

drexl
07-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Spork,

Thank you

Flowergirl,

Downriver area near Telegraph.

Restharrow
07-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Fed. law and my state law allows cough syrup with 10 mg. codeine per teaspoon to be sold by the pharmacist without a script. It is VERY HARD to find a pharmacist who will do it. They tell me it draws a "bad element" to their store if they sell codeine. They keep a register, copy your Driv. lic. and make you sign a perjury form that you have not purchased narcotics within the last 30 days under penalty of perjury.

One of the Mom and Pops I used to use sold it to some of their customers and they quit. The pharmacist / owner told me it drew attention to him from the law and took up a lot of time producing the records for the law (so he stopped selling it).

The pharm. I use now sells it, but since I get my pain meds filled there every 28 days, they would not be able to sell it to me.

I assume Mich is like my state and very few pharmacists want to mess with all the problems to sell a bottle of cough syrup.

Will

Seedy
07-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Off topic, but i have to brag a little :D

A year or so ago I was introduced to this stuff called Gee's Linctus (I'm in New Zealand), which is sold otc at most pharmacies. It contains tincture of opium with 36mg of morphine. The 200ml bottle is 20% alcohol, so it actually gets you pretty fucked up. Being a full spectrum opium tincture, it feels like about 50mg of oral morphine and lasts a lot longer than straight m. The more I look around I realise it's pretty common. Some pharmacies actually have it on the shelf with regular cough syrups, some have an empty box to avoid shop lifting, some have them stashed behind the counter, and the mom & pop pharmacies actually pour out bottles as needed. One place I went to actually asked me how much I needed - they would have poured me a 500ml bottle. It costs anything from $12.50 to $25, which is actually pretty cheap compared to the cost of morphine here. Still can't beat pst though.

drexl
07-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Well I went to a Pharmacist that I've known for about 5 years now and although he said he would sell it to me he just couldn't right at the moment considering he's had the law looking at him because of people slingin' their scripts in the parking lot.

I have nothing against anybody selling their pills but for christ's sake don't do it at the pharmacy A BLOCK AWAY FROM THE POLICE STATION!

At least my cold cleared up though so no complaints.

caius24
12-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Fed. law and my state law allows cough syrup with 10 mg. codeine per teaspoon to be sold by the pharmacist without a script. It is VERY HARD to find a pharmacist who will do it. They tell me it draws a "bad element" to their store if they sell codeine. They keep a register, copy your Driv. lic. and make you sign a perjury form that you have not purchased narcotics within the last 30 days under penalty of perjury.

One of the Mom and Pops I used to use sold it to some of their customers and they quit. The pharmacist / owner told me it drew attention to him from the law and took up a lot of time producing the records for the law (so he stopped selling it).

The pharm. I use now sells it, but since I get my pain meds filled there every 28 days, they would not be able to sell it to me.

I assume Mich is like my state and very few pharmacists want to mess with all the problems to sell a bottle of cough syrup.

Will

OMG I must be clueless lol...I thought any product containing codeine available for sale in the US was considered a scheduled substance and thus required a prescription. I'm aware of the UK and I believe Australia and I'm sure other countries selling cough suppression products with codeine OTC but not the US.

retrogradeamnesia
12-06-2011, 09:00 PM
First time Ive actually looked at that Gees linctus ingredient list, sure does contain some funky ancient herbal preparations..

Gees + CaOH = worthwhile??

While there are are small amount of codeine based cough syrups OTC here in Australia by far the greatest number of Codeine preparations are compounded tabs for analgesia.
Although these unfortunately are becoming more difficult to source, where one could easily purchase 200tabs x 10mg Cod/500APAP now there is an upper limit on sales of 48tabs (without RX) with stronger tracking of personal details :-(

More Feen
12-06-2011, 09:11 PM
The story I was told by a pharmacist:

Robotussin AC IS available OTC in quite a few states, BUT...., no Pharmacy will sell them. (period:: full-stop)

M F