PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to get sick?

narcant
06-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Just out of curiosity how long do you guys think it takes before your physically addicted to dope? I remember reading online that it only took three days. I think thats a little bit of an exaggeration as it took me much longer to get sick

nick
06-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Just out of curiosity how long do you guys think it takes before your physically addicted to dope? I remember reading online that it only took three days. I think thats a little bit of an exaggeration as it took me much longer to get sick

It's subjective and sepends on several factors-particularly if you've had a habit before.

axe
06-27-2011, 06:04 PM
When I was opiate naive it took about a month for me to become "addicted". Which means I would w/d upon quitting.
Now, even if there's been months between use my tolerance goes right back to previous levels in about 2 days.
That's why so-called "drug holidays" never work.

You can never regain that place you had at the beginning.

axe

thatoneguy
06-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Consecutive days of use will make me sick, but I've had a pretty big habit in the past.

Spork
06-27-2011, 06:18 PM
The "kindling effect" that is evident in sedative-hypnotic withdrawal (alcohol, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, etc) hasn't ever been proven to occur with opioids, however, I seem to find that many of us experience this very effect. Meaning, when you start using again after a period of abstinence, after you've had a high tolerance before, your tolerance goes back up much quicker. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling_%28substance_withdrawal%29

A good indicator of what kind of withdrawal / when you're going to start experiencing withdrawal, is where your tolerance is, as tolerance/withdrawal are directly correlated. So if you're using an appreciable amount of something for a semi regular amount of time, and notice it's becoming less effective, you can probably expect some withdrawal.

Sweet Jane
06-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Its different for everyone...
It only took me a month or so of daily use to be physically addicted..
And I was one of those ppl that didn't believe in dope sick...thought it was all in your head and was just kinda like craving something really bad...always thought ppl thought got sick were just "whiny"

Ha! Reality check quick style when I ran out after that month...
I didnt know what was happening to me...crawlin out of my skin, puking, shittin, cryin, sneezing...etc..ya'll know the drill
Respect thee poppy!!!

And, trust me, you'll know when you're addicted...try goin a day w/o and you'll know whether its gotten ahold of ya physically yet..

fauxflavored
06-27-2011, 06:45 PM
i think about a week of abuse would be the threshold (without previous habit).

Paradigm
06-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Every methadone clinic I've been to won't process your intake unless you've been doing opiates consistently for a year or longer.

You can definitely go through withdrawal symptoms after a few months but it takes awhile longer for a real bad kick IME.

I think the mental/psychological aspect of addiction is the real killer anyways.

axe
06-27-2011, 06:56 PM
The "kindling effect" that is evident in sedative-hypnotic withdrawal (alcohol, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, etc) hasn't ever been proven to occur with opioids, however, I seem to find that many of us experience this very effect. Meaning, when you start using again after a period of abstinence, after you've had a high tolerance before, your tolerance goes back up much quicker.

I read that article and what I found interesting is the fact that's it's basically healthier to stay fucked-up all the time rather than go through repeated wds.

axe

SeVeN
06-27-2011, 06:58 PM
It's subjective and sepends on several factors-particularly if you've had a habit before.

Yup. MDone i am a "lucky one" I could go 2-3 days until it hits. Then you better hit the clinic or dope spot.

Also when i first started (did LOTS) of Heroin. I use to sleep 2-3 days after hitting hard cuz i was so worn out. thne id get up with a slightly runny nose and hit the spot.

Very subjective

Oh and like Paradigm said I think its the psychological shit that really gets me. No habit, no sick, but still feinding at times Thats a bitch

Disconnect
06-27-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm typically sneezing by mid-day the next day and full blown shits, hot flashes and aches by later that night.

Count Zero
06-27-2011, 07:40 PM
I read that article and what I found interesting is the fact that's it's basically healthier to stay fucked-up all the time rather than go through repeated wds.

axe

I think Burroughs would disgree with that-not that he knows better than you or me-he thought wds killed off the old cells and regenerated new ones, therefore helped keep you young-he did live to be 80 something but he looked like shit half the time so you can't draw any conclusions there..
Edit: If I do pods 3 days in a row, I get minor rls, minor enough I can usually sleep through it but my gf doesn't. 4 days and I'm pretty much fucked so I try not to do that-I don't do 3 very often either, more bang for the buck with casual use too. That's for dried pods, off a batch of these fresh ones, I did 'em like Fri-Mon-Thurs and had rls Sat night, kinda scary.

chrisofd3ath
06-27-2011, 07:47 PM
The first time I got really, physically sick was after about maybe 2-3 months of everyday use. The mental w/ds kicked in after a couple weeks. Now if I do it once in a blue moon I wake up feeling like shit. it's a bitch.

Nova Express
06-27-2011, 08:18 PM
The first time using (naive), it took around a month or so. Then some years later, and now almost 20 years later I can develop a minor habit after 3-4 days using. I wont go into full WD after 4 days but I will have full on cravings and minor physical WD symptoms. 2 weeks and I'm fucked.

The physical WD is never what bothers me, unless its particularly bad case, it's always the mental cravings...that what it's all about and is just about the hardest thing in the world to overcome. I have been suicidal from WD many times and I decided either I get money or I die...I always made sure I got money. I have been thru full on WD a few times, earlier on in my life, it will never happen again as I have literally hundreds of safe guards in place against it. :P

Pdotizzle
07-15-2011, 09:58 AM
2 weeks?? shit 4 days??? to get sick...am I the only person who does in less than 24 hourss?

to be honest after about 12 hours the feelings start to kick in...cravings...shit that could be 10 mins. after fix.

U really know what it is if youve been to rehab and had to really kick, which I have and wouldnt wish that shit on my worst enemy!

correction, a methadone-free rehab!

dizzle
07-15-2011, 10:32 AM
^^^ Hey P.izzle^^^

Next time you make two or more comments back to back like that, just edit your last post instead of adding another new post. It easier to read the thread that way and the mods won't have to merge your posts together.

Not trying to be a dick or anything, just noticed you posted four times in the same thread in less than 3 minutes.

borohydride
07-15-2011, 10:46 AM
To get a habit depends on:

a)the opioid(s) you choose to use.
b)the amount(s) you use.
c)the frequency of your usage.
d)If you have had a habit before (previous habits seem to make new ones begin much faster).

Withdrawal for someone with a habit depends on the opioid(s) your dependent on & the severity of your dependence. I suspect that it begins at the point your body has less than 50% of the amount of opioids it's become used to (on average). Methadone has a T of about 16.5 hours (it varies a lot & there are (less) active metabolites) which is why once-per-day is usually enough to prevent abstinence syndrome. Within a few hours, though, you don't feel right.

With a short-acting drug like fentanyl it is much, much less. A couple of years ago I took a shower & went out having forgot to put on a new Duragesic patch. I started feeling bad inside 2 hours and only just made it home (another 45 minutes). The following couple of hours, while the level of the drug rose (hot water bottle legitimate in this case!) were unpleasant to say the least (shitting, puking, ,pissing, shaking & crying - something from every orifice).

If I still took opioids for fun, I wouldn't take them often (I used to do H about once every 3 months). Some people can manage to use them & not be used by them, but there is only one certain way to find out which category your in...

Pdotizzle
07-15-2011, 11:53 AM
^^^ Hey P.izzle^^^

Next time you make two or more comments back to back like that, just edit your last post instead of adding another new post. It easier to read the thread that way and the mods won't have to merge your posts together.

Not trying to be a dick or anything, just noticed you posted four times in the same thread in less than 3 minutes.

True, my bad...I have ADD to say the least...and did not notice the edit / merge..no offense taken..point taken. :)

doctor diesel
07-15-2011, 01:04 PM
In my case, when first on H, it was 4-6 weeks before physical dependence reared its hideous head.
That was a blow, I can tell you. It had all been going SO well.

Doc

hella
07-15-2011, 01:50 PM
when i first started i went like 4-5 months straight and didnt think i had a problem
when my habit was at its height if i didnt having anything after 6-7 pm id be full blown RLS, anxiety, insomnia by midnight when id try to go to bed
now it sucks if i use 3days in a row i go threw w/ds, just last week i sucessfully chipped for 2 days and got back on my subs for the first time :)

SHELLEY
07-15-2011, 02:16 PM
the first time? a hell of a lot longer than 3 days
when i first started doing h (went straight to the needle, as i had already been shooting meth and coke)
i was doing it one night a week, then two, then three, then five, then daily but skipping days sometimes
and when i'd lose a connect or something (at that time i was basically only copping through other homeless)
i never got sick, i wanted the stuff sure, but i didn't have any physical w/d
besides the "heroin hangover" of headache + grumpiness
it took me over a month of daily/4-5x weekly use before i ever started to get sick
the first time i went into real withdrawal, i had decided that i was shooting too many drugs
and had to choose between coke and dope, chose coke, 2 days later i'm like wtf is happening to me
got some dope, felt on top of the world, i was like "ohhhhhh, so this is heroin addiction huh? better buy more heroin"

if you've had a habit before, especially multiple times,
you can get back to the grind in under a week no question

thatoneguy
07-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I remember thinking wow heroin sure makes this cold go away lol

doctor diesel
07-15-2011, 04:43 PM

Too right... only to make the flu move in instead!

Doc

BrokedownPalace
07-16-2011, 05:33 PM
From my personal experiences with addiction/dependence to opioids in my years of using, the length of time it takes to develop a genuine physical habit has varied to some degree. Back in my younger days when I first started using oxycodone semi regularly, I was able to get high every day for at least 7-10 days and then not experience much, if any serious physical withdrawal symptoms. Now psychologically the cravings/anxiety/depression would present itself after only a few days but in my young days I could use daily without much consequence as long as I took breaks every week or so.

NOW - fast forward to 5+ years later, after a number of serious IV heroin habits and a 15 month long run on methadone maintenance, the tides have drastically changed. Due to my prior habits, it does not take long at ALL to catch myself a habit again. Due to being beyond fed up with MMT, I left the clinic and cold turkey'd a 75mg/day methadone dependence after 15 months there in order to try to get off of opiates completely. After the WORST kick (lasting a solid 5-6 weeks for the physical symptoms alone), I managed to accrue about 2 months or so of complete opiate freeness. But stupid me decided to use "just one more time" (heroin for the record) figuring what's the worst that could happen? Just a little background - my father died in 2009 and the past couple years I had battled stage 4 cancer which nearly killed me so my mental state is not the greatest - It was really getting to me and I just wanted to get high and gave into the craving.

well, to make a long story short I binged over the weekend (like 3 days) and didn't think I would have much of a 'withdrawal' after just a few days. WRONG. After that 3 days I woke up in withdrawal basically the same as it was years prior during my bad IV heroin habits.

Moral of my story (sorry for the novel, I'm high) - The answer depends greatly. If you have never had a habit, i think it would take at least 1-2 weeks before you develop a physical dependence after using daily. But if you have had previous habits, using for merely a couple days straight is all it will take to develop another physical dependence. It seems the longer i am in the game, my more destroyed my opioid receptors get and cannot recover. It takes months of clean time to reduce my tolerance, but using for merely a couple days will jack it back up right to where it was in the past during heavy IV dope habits.

ZodiacKiller
07-16-2011, 05:42 PM
It takes exactly 2 days, 13 hours, 21 minutes, and 7 seconds...

Duh...

ZK

jspilt
07-16-2011, 06:59 PM
After my accident took about three months and I was sick.

Saint
07-17-2011, 05:00 AM
The "kindling effect" that is evident in sedative-hypnotic withdrawal (alcohol, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, etc) hasn't ever been proven to occur with opioids, however, I seem to find that many of us experience this very effect. Meaning, when you start using again after a period of abstinence, after you've had a high tolerance before, your tolerance goes back up much quicker. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling_%28substance_withdrawal%29

I'm convinced the "kindling effect" occurs with opiates/oids as well. I have repeatedly noticed my tolerance going through the roof after a two or three day relapse.

Once I had been on 25 mgs methadone for 4 (four!!) years, then relapsed for 3 days, using 0.7 to 1 G a day (but NOT using any methadone on top and waiting 24 hours after last methadone dose before sniffing my first line of H, which wasn't even all that great btw..).

So.. I switched back to methadone on the fourth day but 30 mgs didn't cut it. Nor did 50. It was ridiculous, I was sneezing, tearing, shitting, sweating, the whole caboodle.
I ended up back on 80 to 90 mgs m'done again.

One lousy three day relapse and it took me over four months to taper back to 25 mgs again.
The fact that I have been on opiates for decades and have been through countless relapses and withdrawals wasn't helping much either I guess.
And yes, I'm sure part of it is mental (obviously anxiety can cause sweating and the runs too.. but I've never heard of anxiety causing crippling backpain, tearing and sneezing..).

One would think this experience would've kept me from relapsing ever since.
Nope.

Kaplan
07-17-2011, 11:06 AM
One would think this experience would've kept me from relapsing ever since.
Nope.Humm yep... story of our lives hey? ^

pegasys
07-27-2011, 02:55 AM
I used once a week, starting with eating roxi, eventually got to be every day over the course of 3 mos, with the last month being every day. At that point I had mild discomfort when "kicking, but noting too bad. Swiched to dope, 3 mos daily use of that before my w/d was what i would consider "real" w/d. Now 3 days, I'm sick to where I can do stuff if i have to but look like hell and am covered in sweat. 5 days or more, full on addiction, full on w/d.

What seems to not change is the time between hits. It takes about a month to go from 24 hrs a shot to 12 hrs a shot to 8 hrs a shot. Low dose subs have changed everything for me tho. Nevr more than 2 mg. I take a ton of benzos after my vaca, take 2mg after 24 hrs and just take more benzos till I w/d down till that 2mg dose works and taper from there. One day of pain for a week of 2 of use.

The number of dope runs I go on is inversky proportional with the time it takes me to get severe w/d. Though over the past year my periods of use have also gotten smaller as I've been trying to be good.
MY history, is 3 mos hooked on cheap oc80s, 3 years clean, 6 mos ramp up to dope, one year on dope, month clean, 6 mos on dope, 2 weeks clean, 2 weeks on dope, 2 mos clean, 2 weeks on dope, 2 weeks clean, one week on dope, 3 weeks clean4 days in dope, week clean, 3 days dope, week clean, 2 days speedballs, week of dope, month clean, 2 days of dope month clean 1 day of dope.

I like to think that's progress, every time I get w/d tho at an exponentially greater rater per time of use. The timing isn't exact, but that's the general Idea.

Bugsy
07-27-2011, 02:31 PM
TIME from the last IV dose 5-8 bags a day habit (for years), east cost powder:

8 to 10 hours first signs of wd, general uncomfortable feeling, lack of energy, minor aches

12 to 15 hours cold/hot flashes, back aches and total exhaustion, a bit of nausea, possible first vomiting

15 to 18 hours major wds all over, aches are unbearable, constant nausea and vomiting starts (bile)

20+ hours point of no return, puking bile, shitting liquids, tossing & turning non-stop, sweating/freezing, pain in the bones, "I wish I was dead" feeling.

http://www.xanthonecorp.com/_images/_ailments/diarrhea_01.jpg

As for feeling sick when first introduced to opiates/opioids... well it is about 3 to 4 days. With low doses of hydrocodone/hydromorphone it can be 24 to 48 hours, or with methadone/buprenorphine anywhere from 3 to 5 days or longer.

On average 72 hours of repeated use of short acting opiates (heroin,morphine) WILL produce noticeable withdrawal effects upon stopping.
That's it. 3 days. That's all it takes to start feeling sick...

Kaplan
07-27-2011, 06:32 PM
TIME from the last IV dose 5-8 bags a day habit (for years), east cost powder:
Mind telling me how much quantity are these bags? It's not a familiard standard in europe.

When I started to use, after 2 to 4/5 days of use it would be 2 days sharp (or nights mostly) of w/d, first next night like a bad flue but nothing unbearable, I could even sleep at some point, more or less. But i'd sometimes call sick for work the next day. Second night no physical 'bad' symptoms, not even cravings, but a total impossibility to sleep. Not a sec. I'd be up all night until like 9/10 the next morning and maybe then i'd sleep for an hour or two if not going to work. Third night back to normal. Though I gotta say I'm no IV jockey either, that makes quite of a difference.
Now some water has passed under the bridge... along with brown powder in my system, and it definitly hits harder of course. But I try to keep w/d away as much as possible. So actually I haven't really been in full w/d in quite some time. And I always try, with still some 'success', to keep my monkey as little as possible. But anyway the first symptoms would appear the next day late afternoon, running nose, sweeting at night, ultra pain in the back but no nausea or stomach troubles.
But so when the gear's gone I'd take 10mg of done the next day and 10/20 for the night, same the next day and then tapper slowly until the next loop.... But personnally with my habits it's not so much the physical pain that 'discomfort' me the most but the damn cravings, and hell they're not getting any better as time passes by.

Dr_de_Bauche
07-28-2011, 10:33 AM
A month to six weeks of daily use will give you a cold turkey to remember when you first run out. My first experience with this delightful condition was during an extended tour of South Asia and the Far East. Having spent about a month smoking high grade brown sugar everywhere from the Himalayas down to New Delhi and across to Calcutta, my body was still holding up fine if I was unable to score, [as happened on occasion]. I was mentally craving junk like a motherfucker, but when efforts were exhausted and no dope was forthcoming I'd think fuck it, smoke a joint and go to sleep, [haha....little did I know what was in stall for me, a few short weeks away, and how precious sleep would become].

Then I decided to take a cheap flight to Bangkok, [someone had pointed my way in the direction of a lucrative little business deal]. Arriving there it didn't take me long to find a pool hall full of Thai guys selling absolutely pure No.4 heroin, [this was back in 1989, long before yaba (meth) took over as the main drug in Thailand]. The gear was so pure, that when you poured it out on a piece of paper, you initially thought it was a powder, but when you examined it really close up, it was millions of tiny little perfectly spherical balls of dope - I guess that was how it had formed in the reaction vessel when they cooked it up.

So yeah, in the pool hall ...."U wan haf boddle or fool boddle?"

Naturally being a fool I bought a fool bottle. [Thai H was sold in plastic vials which held exactly one gram full].

Back to my non-aircon guesthouse & out with my first aid kit, 1ml works & some mineral water, I put a thumbnails worth of gear into the barrel, replaced the plunger, drew up some water, shook it about & it dissolved instantly......bang into my arm.

I know for sure that if I hadn't of been using that high grade Paki brown in India I would have fallen out from that first Bangkok shot. I felt a physical sensation of warmth spread from my toes up my body to my head, and as it reached my brain I slid into a blissful warm state of nothingness, only to come to later with a ruined shirt from where my cigarette had burned through it, and wet shorts from drooling on myself.

Happy days indeed. I caned through those "haf boddles and fool boddles" like nobody's business, me and my woman of the moment using one every couple of days.

Suffice to say that within short order I was fucked. The business didn't work out nearly as well as expected, and I was skint, and running out of dope. Thinking I could still just stop and walk away from it we caned the last of the gear & tried booked a trip to an island beach.

Suddenly I was in my own personal Appocalypse Now. Rather than a tropical paradise I found myself sick as a dog in a mosquito infested shithole, full of angry plants wanting to sting or bite me, indifferent loud tourists & their loathsome children, wily Thai locals who appeared to all see I was sick as fuck and enjoyed making me wait in my sweat-filled kingdom of groans.

Suffice to say that less that 48hrs later I had split from the beach hut, headed back to Bangkok having made some urgent phone calls to get some wired to me, whereupon I picked up a final "fool boddle" got truly fucking loaded for a couple of days with the g/f before boarding a plane back to India & Paki brown.

doctor diesel
07-28-2011, 10:58 AM
^^Pointless lifestyle really^^... but we've all been there.

Doc

ausativa
07-28-2011, 10:58 AM
how long does it take to get well?

Kaplan
07-31-2011, 03:05 PM
ouch.... sweet story Dr_de_Bauche. Any chance we get the following events? Thanx for sharing anyway ^

Count Zero
07-31-2011, 05:14 PM
I can relate to the Doc, that Thai powder will fuck you three wats (i meants to type ways but wats is better) from Sunday, very hard. How long does it take to get sick? A long fucking time and then a second and a half, I'm still sick and I haven't done dope in years.

Raine
09-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Someone once told me never to use more than 3 days in a row.
It's diff. for everyone and takes longer to form a habit, IMO but it's a good rule.

After using for about 4-5 days straight and stopping, I usually get mild w/d's but my mind is already convinced
that I need to have one more go. Then the same feeling the next day, and so on.

I feel like the longer my run, the worse it is in the end. You use for a week and it'll a small struggle, but one nontheless.
Use for a couple years and it's a complete lifestyle overhaul to stop.

So, I promote the three day rule.

Dr. McKay
09-05-2011, 10:18 PM
For me it used to always be anymore than 3 days on would cause me to go though withdrawals.
Also when I was on bupe and would stop for 3 days and use something like OCs for 3 days or the bupe would cause bigtime PD.
Then again I used to have a bigtime tolerance to Oxy . I would take up to 200 mgs of oxy sometimes.

pink_reaper
09-06-2011, 01:42 PM

LOL! I remember thinking, damn! I just HAD to get sick right after I ran out, what awful luck! Little did I know...lol

Cherry's Jubilee
09-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Are we talking about how long it takes to get sick or how long it takes to get hooked? This shit's all over the place. Please clarify OP.

The_Highwayman
09-08-2011, 11:54 PM
I was using for about amonth straight before that first fateful day my dealer said he was out of supply. I got sick for the first time, but honestly my mind used to make me much much sicker than I was...

Last time I touched heroin was almost three years ago and I shot up for about 28 hours and 16 hours later I went back on my subs..now I was not SICK sick, but it took 5 days to get rid of the sweats, fatigue and overall feeling of crappiness that one bundle brought...

Fat Pie
09-09-2011, 12:44 AM
When I started out, I did the stuff straight for 6 months, and had comparatively mild w/ds for a few days, no biggie. I then went back to it after another couple of months, used for a week, stopped, and had the worst withdrawals of my life (up 'till that point) for a whole week.

There was no going back after that...

OP: YMMV.

Funkit
09-14-2011, 12:31 AM
When I first started using opiates I was doing oxy 30mg blues; started with 15mg-30mg every other week, then held that dose while i kept increasing the # of days in a week i'd dose. After about 3 months I was using every day, but even at daily use my dose wasn't high enough to really get anything more then the chills and the mental withdrawals/cravings. Then after I started using daily 30mg wouldn't do shit to me, so I'd up it until I was at 120-210mg a day. This whole process took about 5 months, and then when I couldnt score at this point thats when the first true kicks started.

Now even if I take a 4 month tolerance break after 3 days of consecutive use my tolerance is right back to where it was and I kick just as hard. Took about 5 months the first time for a true kick, now it takes 3 days.

As for how long till I start being unable to function normally after a dose, it generally takes about 18 hours depending on ROA (if I mainlined EC #4 then it'd be more of a 12 hour wait.)