PDA

View Full Version : How much are people paying for Methadone Maintenance these days?

dolofina
05-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Hello everyone,
I am considering switching to methadone from Suboxone
and am wondering how much it costs for Methadone Maintenance
at the clinics these days and if the clinics take any type of
insurance. I was going to a methadone clinic back in 2005,
but I cannot remember how much they were charging me.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Dolofina

dizzle
05-11-2011, 07:48 AM
my clinic DOES take insurance but I don't use it as it only costs $60 a week to pay out of pocket.

The state funded clinic (WAYYYYYY shittier service and staff, etc.) is only $10/week

Miss M
05-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Here it's $150 for the initial intake appointment, then $10 per day. They also make you get a couple of blood test done which are like $40 each at the beginning.....
But, unless you live within walking distance, all the time and gas (at $4/gal here now) for the endless daily visits (until take-outs are granted) really runs up the cost.
The clinic here takes most insurances.

SeVeN
05-11-2011, 07:57 AM
I pay 13 a day or if you pay for the whole week it comes out to 12 a day. Down in atlanta you can get on for like 5 bucks a day but you have to go to certain groups etcetc and im not driving way the fuck downtown near m,utherfucking GRADY of all places to get dosed.

Anyways $13 and $12 at another clinic that opened nearby but im not gonna change over a dollar.

Oh some clinics wave the intake fee which mine did this last time but the first time i was on methadone it cost like hell $170 sounds familiar but it was hefty.

dolofina
05-11-2011, 09:23 AM
I just called two clinics here in Western PA- one accepts my insurance,
but if someone is paying cash, it costs $100 up-front, then $95 a week;
the other clinic does not accept my insurance, so it would cost $250
up-front, then $100 per week.
Both clinics are at least 20 miles from my home,
so with gas prices the way they are ($4 a gallon), the cost for a methadone
maintenance program here would be very high...

Marlboro Man
05-11-2011, 09:59 AM
I pay 13 a day or if you pay for the whole week it comes out to 12 a day. Down in atlanta you can get on for like 5 bucks a day but you have to go to certain groups etcetc and im not driving way the fuck downtown near m,utherfucking GRADY of all places to get dosed.

Anyways $13 and $12 at another clinic that opened nearby but im not gonna change over a dollar.

Oh some clinics wave the intake fee which mine did this last time but the first time i was on methadone it cost like hell $170 sounds familiar but it was hefty.

I wouldn't go anywhere near Grady unless I was already in the back of an ambulance and just happened to be going in that direction anyway.

I just called two clinics here in Western PA- one accepts my insurance,
but if someone is paying cash, it costs $100 up-front, then $95 a week;
the other clinic does not accept my insurance, so it would cost $250
up-front, then $100 per week.
Both clinics are at least 20 miles from my home,
so with gas prices the way they are ($4 a gallon), the cost for a methadone
maintenance program here would be very high...

It's still cheaper than dope, though, but no fun at all.

I don't know anything about subs.

pink_reaper
05-11-2011, 10:35 AM
None of the clinics here take insurance, only one does in the state.

Here it's normally $65-$113 to start, and $13/day
That's pretty much standard for anywhere in Indiana, maybe the clinic in Gary is cheaper as it takes Insurance, idk...but the private clinics from Indianapolis south all charge the same rate pretty much.

With gas prices&distance..it's out of the question for me too, until I move to Louisville, KY in January, I hope by then I won't need to worry about it.

Import
05-11-2011, 10:53 AM
OP- How much are you paying for the subs, and how much were you spending on your habit? I know that sub maintenance can be absurdly expensive.

Here in Seattle it was 15/day when I was paying cash, but now I use insurance. Not sure how much they bill the insurance for. In Minnesota (Minneapolis) it was about 12/day paying cash.

For me, the $ and the hassle are completely worth the results. I am SO happy with methadone. I was on subs back in '06 or '07 and the didn't make a dent on the cravings. I was taking 24mg/day though... I wasn't savvy about the low dose method, which sounds like it can provide more 'glow'. That would've been helpful for me. I rarely get cravings nowadays, and when I do I'm able to get past it pretty easily.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to make the switch?

hissingfauna
05-11-2011, 11:04 AM
The clinic I go to is $65 per week or $10 per day, no intake fee, no counseling fee, no bloodwork/ua fees. They don't bill insurance themselves but will help you to self-bill your insurance, if your insurance covers mmt. My clinic isn't that bad, the staff for the most part are all pretty good. I can't stand the majority of the other patients, but that's not really an issue, I am in and out in five minutes. I currently go twice a week, but could go less often if I wanted to, it's more of a self control issue.

Dolofinell
05-11-2011, 01:41 PM
OP- How much are you paying for the subs, and how much were you spending on your habit? I know that sub maintenance can be absurdly expensive.

The clinic I was at for 7yrs was 140 for induction and $70 a week. I'm on subuTEX now, $70/month for the Dr. visit and $123 for 45 8mg subuTEX, which I have a stockpile of now. It's amazing my BMT is cheaper than MMT was, never thought in a million years.....Dolo
Good Luck dolofina.

dolofina
05-11-2011, 01:50 PM
If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to make the switch?

I am considering switching to methadone, because I was on it before-in 2005,
and, to be perfectly honest, I got a better feeling from it than I am from the Suboxone.
However, I am able to walk to the local hospital to see a private Dr. who prescribes my
Subs to me- I am currently only on 4 mgs. a day- not quite enough to take care of my
cravings, and I only pay $80 out-of-pocket every other month, and my insurance covers
the script for the subs, but I don't know how long my insurance will cover my Subs.
For methadone, I would have to get someone to drive me about 25 miles away to
the nearest clinic, but my insurance would cover the entire cost of the methadone
maintenance program- so I am just exploring my options for now...

Unbalanced
05-11-2011, 03:11 PM
I pay nothing to be in my Methadone Maintenence Treatment program.
Only the doctors appointments - 10€

It is the same for our Buprenorphine programs as well. Got 4 x 8mg Suboxone / day for 0€

jimmyfingers
05-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Average intake fee for the clinics within 45 minutes of me is 70. Average daily fee is 12. The more important thing is that the closest clinics are at least 30 minutes away. Wear and tear on car plus gas need to be factored in the cost of meth as well.

When I was on subs, the cost was 80 dollars per visit. I only had to see the doc once every 4 months since he would write refills. The script for subutex number 60 was around 160. So 6 dollars a day if you take 16mg of subs each day.

seven10kids
05-11-2011, 06:10 PM
wow, all this rehab/maintenance shit sounds like it is more trouble and almost as costly as doing your DOC.

The crazy hours are what I find the most absurd. I guess they are banking on the fact that you will have just enough in your system for a somewhat ok night of sleep and you will need to re dose at 5am the next day.

wish they had a take home program with done more like they do with subs. only heard of a few places that you have to go daily and take subs in front of the staff.

All boils down to $$$ in the doctors/states pockets really. They figure if you are strung out and paying $100 a day to survive on real dope, you can pay $20 a day for them to feed you a substitute.

Cureforpain
05-11-2011, 06:48 PM
I think I have the most expensive methadone clinic. It's 125 a week. I think that works out to be like 18 bucks a day. And they do not take any private insurances. Only medicaid/medicare. So I am stuck paying out of pocket. It is a pretty decent clinic though. And all the staff members are pretty cool.

Contemporarium
05-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I think I have the most expensive methadone clinic. It's 125 a week. I think that works out to be like 18 bucks a day. And they do not take any private insurances. Only medicaid/medicare. So I am stuck paying out of pocket. It is a pretty decent clinic though. And all the staff members are pretty cool.

Wow..and I was actually thinking of trying out the Columbus clinic. Fuuuuck that.

Dolofinell
05-11-2011, 07:51 PM
wow, all this rehab/maintenance shit sounds like it is more trouble and almost as costly as doing your DOC.

lol..Not even Fucking Close

Candy Heart
05-16-2011, 06:21 AM
Wow I feel a lot better about the prices I'm paying at my clinic now seeing what some of you are paying.... Mine is 70$ for intake which includes first dose, 9$ a day after that.

Going to the clinic until you get take homes can be a hassle but knowing you'll get your dose is priceless.
And for me I'm saving about 100 bucks a day! I was selling all my stuff to fund my habit, luckily I pulled out of that tailspin before it got to bad. I finally have a savings again.... Albeit not too much Haha...

pink_reaper
05-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Do most clinics take medicaid?

I know here, none of the clinics accept medicaid, but I am unsure if medicaid is set up to pay for it!

As much as I wanna bitch about the $13, I spend waaaay more on pills, WAY more! I found a way to make that work so I could make mmt work, and so could the rest of us junkies lol Seems "wrong" to pay for something that isn't getting you high though, but it's all about what you want in the long run I guess!

asmodai
05-16-2011, 06:21 PM
I had to pay 11 bucks a day, thats 77 a week. It was about 85 bucks to get myself on it the first visit.

The only clinic here won't take any kind of insurance though. But they do have a sliding fee scale for people who don't make much money. The only thing is that there is about a 3 month waiting list to get on it.

Candy Heart
05-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Do most clinics take medicaid?

Seems "wrong" to pay for something that isn't getting you high though
The few around here accept Medicaid and a few also do sliding scale counseling also.
I agree with the other part too... I miss the first couple of weeks on MMT... Had a nice buzz goin there for a bit...

Rosetta Stoned
05-16-2011, 09:12 PM
I pay $0 a week which is very nice, although my treatment technically costs $60/week. I have AHCCCS which is basically AZ's medicaid and a lot of clinics around here accept it which is very nice. Unfortunately theres a cunt named Jan Brewer that is cutting a few hundred thousand people off it in October and I will be one of them, pretty lame. Although I am extremely grateful that I have been able to get this far with them covering me, because it would be very hard for me to come up with that money on my own as I still do not have a job.

Chipper
05-17-2011, 02:13 AM
Methadone is free in Aus. but you pay for the dispensing. My clinic is the most expensive option, costing me $58/week (or $12/day) but pharmacy patients pay only around $40/week.

BUT it's all tax deductable if you're working, as I am.

narcant
05-17-2011, 11:01 AM
my clinic was 300 up front for 3 weeks treatment, then 100 a week after that. Asking for 300 is kinda harsh if you ask me but I guess it helps them insure the patients are serious

sourcecod
05-17-2011, 12:58 PM
im scared as fuck of having my name on record, so I buy 40mg methadone wafers from a friend for about $15 each. I only use them when im kicking or going on a trip that requires some kicking so as to keep me from getting stupid sick. I always wondered if I was paying too much. Id rather do that then actually sign up at a clinic.

nosferatu123454321
06-14-2011, 11:47 AM
man, some of you guys had to pay around $150 on your first appointment? the clinic here only charges $53 for your first appointment. $40 for the initial intake, which includes physical exam, drug test and all that, and then $13 for your first dose. so it sounds like the initial appointment is way cheaper than the majority of other places, but it's not the cheapest as far as daily doses. it's $13 a day, unless you pay a week or more at a time, then it knocks a few bucks off per day.

DMD666
06-14-2011, 12:15 PM
The ones in the area around my spot do. They arent in wisconsin only reason i never got on MMT. Its cheap as shit too i think that my bro still pays 3 bucks a visit 4x a mth. Take home ftw. But the fact of subs costing so much money is why i went cold turkey, that plus the fact that the nearest mmt clinic is over 3 hours away in wisconsion.

reddragon3668
06-14-2011, 12:42 PM
The clinic here is 70 dollars for intake (includes first day's dose) and 10 dollars a day thereafter. They don't take any insurance or Medicaid. I could walk to it if I wanted. It's less than 2 miles from my house. I didn't know it was there.. it's in a little hole of an office space right off the interstate. I used to take my wife to a bus stop around 5:30AM every morning and I would go right past it. There was a HUGE number of cars in the parking lot and people parked up and and down both sides of the exit (off the Bus I85). Given that I knew it wasn't a place of employment, I suspected it was a methadone clinic. Sure enough, I went home one morning and checked it out and found out it was. I was thinking about doing not too long ago when I thought I was going to have to go a few months or so without insurance. 300 dollars a month was cheap compared to what my pain meds would cost out of pocket. Thankfully, my wife got a new job and got benefits starting her first day of employment and I was spared having to go that route. I don't think I would have done it.. just too much trouble than what it's worth, to me. But, for some, I know it's a life-saver. The bad thing though, is a lot of the people at this clinic are there because of a Vicoden habit (at least, that's what I've been told. I know two people personally who trade Vicodin for Done at that clinic). Is that common? I think in that case, it would be easier to go through the W/D's than to substitute it for something much much worse. If this clinic closes, which I've heard is a real possibility, the closest clinic is miles away.. way too far for most folks to swing everyday. That would be a fucking nightmare for sure!

Speaking of distance, how far do most travel to get to a clinic? I would think that if you had to commute 2 hours (which I've heard several mention here) to get to done clinic, four hours a day to dose would be a major pain in the ass. Would you commute that far to dose?

ryan5892
06-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Would you commute that far to dose?

Fuck no. The two clinics here suck but are in 10 mile radius. but why go there its $11 a day and subs cost me like $1.25 a day.

reddragon3668
06-14-2011, 01:10 PM
I agree completely. I didn't know there were any done clinics in Wilmington though. I guess it makes sense. Things sure have changed allot down there over the years. I probably would have done it prior to May 2009. But getting clean and staying that way for a year gave me a new perspective. Seriously, prior to that, I didn't think I could survive without opiates. The very thought would throw me in to a panic. Afterward, however, I wouldn't get up at 5 am and pay 10 dollars a day to maintain a habit. I would have to hurt a hell of allot more than I do now to get in that line. I know I can survive without and the hassle just isn't worth it to me. I know everyone is different, but that's how I feel.

Fuck no. The two clinics here suck but are in 10 mile radius. but why go there its $11 a day and subs cost me like $1.25 a day.

poppy
06-14-2011, 06:04 PM
In the UK if you are on any kind of benefit (a child or pensioner) or a low income which is supplemented with certain benefits then you pay absolutely nothing. If you are working regardless of how much you earn you pay 7.40 per prescription (as in the actual piece of paper) I've never had a prescription for methadone that lasts longer than two weeks but that could be different for other people.

Some people choose to go to a private doctor to be prescribed methadone rather than go to the local clinic. I have never known anyone who has gone this route (other than an Opiophile member from long ago) but I imagine it would be very expensive and probably quite difficult to find a doctor willing to prescribe it. Then again money talks.

I don't understand your system in the US regarding income tax and welfare etc but I wonder if some of the resentment some people have regarding welfare and how it is spent(as shown in other threads) is perhaps because they see no fruit for the money taken as tax in things such as free or cheap prescriptions and healthcare. (sorry in advance for going off on a bit of a tangent, just thinking out loud really)

06-14-2011, 09:50 PM
the clinic i used to go to here in ct (and am regoing thru the intake process at) works on a sliding scale for cash paying customers. i was unemployed last time so had no proof of what my income would be so they charged 40 a week. my old lady was salary at 500 a week and had pay stubs so she only paid like 20 something a week. this time shes unemployed and i make too much money (which isnt even that much) so we both have to pay 40 a week. the only thing that sucked this time is we were both on a fee detox for not paying when i went to jail two years ago so i had to pay 300 to clear our debts so we could start the process all over.they dont charge for the intake or physical they require to start the program, just the first weeks 40 at the time of your physical and you get dosed that day. they take insurance but the plans offered thru my work are expensive as hell so its not even worth it.

dieselbaby
06-14-2011, 11:18 PM
That's pretty much standard for anywhere in Indiana, maybe the clinic in Gary is cheaper as it takes Insurance, idk...but the private clinics from Indianapolis south all charge the same rate pretty much.

With gas prices&distance..it's out of the question for me too, until I move to Louisville, KY in January, I hope by then I won't need to worry about it.

I feel for you. I know from experience that being a junky in Southern Indiana (Bloomington, specifically) is quite a miserable place to be located. I almost ended up joining that exact clinic in Indianapolis. I had a hybrid at the time (~42 mpg or so sometimes on the highway) but I was driving up to (at one point) around 4-6 times per week from Bloomington to either Columbus, Ohio or Chicago (each about 440 miles round trip) to cop. During the time it was going on, it was when gas was about $4.29 a gallon for regular too. Then right before I go to rehab it was at $1.29 for regular in Indianapolis. Ridiculous. Finally found a connect for the fucking RAWEST shit ever in Indy after much searching - it's chronicled right here on these forums - just search for threads that I've started if you're interested in my trials and tribulations - a true testament to the willpower of a junky in search for a fix.

As for my particular experience at clinics...

I first started at my clinic in Orange County (in Santa Ana) at a CRC-owned clinic. The clientele was a mix of professionals like myself, younger college-aged kids, old-timer Mexican tar junkies, and the usual riff-raff criminal element types. A few people with some serious disabilities. I really loved this place. It's called Recovery Solutions of Santa Ana and if anyone in the area is looking for a clinic I highly recommend them. I find it hard to open up to therapists usually but I had a really great counselor there and I only had to meet with her once every 2 months or so for 10 minutes, but I ended up seeing her more often than that because she was actually a former user herself and I found her a great source of advice and encouragement. It's difficult to talk to a therapist or counselor who hasn't "been there", as I'm sure many of you can relate to yourselves. Anyways. I stupidly decided to start there because at the time I was low on fundage, and I started out doing the 28 day detox program - it was a $50 (I'm pretty sure, maybe $70?) intake fee and then $10 a day to dose. After about 2 weeks had gone by I ended up going into "long-term detox" aka "what you go to before you end up deciding a week or two later that you like the MMT and you wanna go on maintenance instead" program as I refer to it. I then had to pay a $70 transfer fee to go into the long term detox program (because it would've been $120 had I started that way) and then started paying monthly, which cost $250 a month when pre-paid. I eventually transferred to the maintenance program, and was on it there for about a year and a half there with no problems. It was $250 a month. i think they took Medical or something but I have private insurance which actually covers methadone, with a (I think it's either a 500 or I do believe it was definitely a $1000 deductible before they refund your money) so I need to have my financial history sent over to my insurance company and wait for the reimbursement. I also still have $200 something and change on the books there which they say will take 4-6 weeks to get refunded which sucks but whatever.

Now after I moved to LA the first clinic I went to before I found one closer to home was a "Baart" company clinic. They offered a sliding scale but if you paid monthly it was $165 a month (super cheap!) and $10 a day to guest dose, with a $50 intake fee. Now I found a new clinic right around the block from my house. It's $300 monthly but they waived the $50 intake fee for me. It's super private and way classy - they only have about 100 patients and they are actually selective - you have to interview with the director first before they admit you (never heard of that before!!??!?!). So that's my deal.

jimmyfingers
06-15-2011, 10:29 AM
A 'super classy' methadone clinic. Wow

jonsonville
06-16-2011, 09:58 PM
i pay 220 a month, but this clinic i used to go to was 15 bux a day, over twice as much. when i was on subs it was relatively cheap, my monthly appts were only 75 bux (i know they can be over twice that) but then my subutex cost 280 and it didnt really work so methadone is better for me in every way.

duck
06-17-2011, 07:39 AM
A 'classy' methadone clinic isn't that crazy, both of the ones I use are much nicer offcies than a couple of the local walk in medical clinics.

Gallows
06-18-2011, 06:51 PM
I am Gallows, been a member for a few months now and mostly just lurked, this is my first post.

I applied for Medical (medicaid in cali) the day before I inducted at my clinic, and about a month later I was accepted for Medical. On my day of induction I paid the $75 induction fee, and then paid $350/month for two months.

About a week after my second monthly payment, the supervisor comes up to me and says, "you're in deep shit, come into my office". I was confused because since starting MMT I had been fuckin perfect- I hadn't used any drugs except for pot (which my clinic doesn't test for), and I wasn't drinking or hitting stores or anything.

Then the supervisor hands me a check for $775 and says, "just joking, you've been accepted for medical and we are reimbursing you for all payments you've made since you applied for it". I was so glad that I had applied for medical the DAY BEFORE paying the intake/first monthly-fee because if I hadn't I wouldn't have gotten that fat check. That was a good day, and as you might imagine, my dumb ass put that entire $775 check in my arm.

Since then I have gotten more self control and a few take-homes/wk and I am entirely sober save for my MMT. But come on, you hand a dope fiend a check for $700 two months into recovery, what do you expect them to do with it?

port rhombus
06-19-2011, 01:10 AM
All the private clinics I've researched in Chicago are $50/week, with some occasional additional fees here and there.

I live 1.5 miles from mein klinik, so I can easily walk or ride my bike there. It's also immaculately clean and the staff rocks. I know it's ultimately a business, but there are folks in the industry who sincerely give a shit about patient care.

It's a sweet deal, considering that I was spending $400/day on heroin at the peak of the mess that I made. The cost of MMT is a lifesaving drop in the bucket for me.

clinton
06-19-2011, 01:29 AM
intake plus 1st dose is 50 dollars
daily dose is 10 a day
im lucky the clinic is literally 4 blocks from my house
i leave my house at 9 and get there at about 9:07 to 9:10 in the am

cg5
06-19-2011, 02:02 AM
6 bucks per day for your drink

free intake
free doctor visits

canada

dethkon
07-26-2011, 12:08 AM
$50 first day intake + $12 dollars daily dose/$84 dollars per week. No insurance, no sliding scale, no breaks. Also, no competition. Private clinic, Miami, Florida.

Snoops
07-26-2011, 02:31 AM
I am Gallows, been a member for a few months now and mostly just lurked, this is my first post.

I applied for Medical (medicaid in cali) the day before I inducted at my clinic, and about a month later I was accepted for Medical. On my day of induction I paid the $75 induction fee, and then paid $350/month for two months.

About a week after my second monthly payment, the supervisor comes up to me and says, "you're in deep shit, come into my office". I was confused because since starting MMT I had been fuckin perfect- I hadn't used any drugs except for pot (which my clinic doesn't test for), and I wasn't drinking or hitting stores or anything.

Then the supervisor hands me a check for $775 and says, "just joking, you've been accepted for medical and we are reimbursing you for all payments you've made since you applied for it". I was so glad that I had applied for medical the DAY BEFORE paying the intake/first monthly-fee because if I hadn't I wouldn't have gotten that fat check. That was a good day, and as you might imagine, my dumb ass put that entire $775 check in my arm.

Since then I have gotten more self control and a few take-homes/wk and I am entirely sober save for my MMT. But come on, you hand a dope fiend a check for $700 two months into recovery, what do you expect them to do with it?

I just got my ass on Medi-Cal also, it's tight... What was 200 a month is now free. Fuck ya.

But yo Gallows, I can't take it no more...
You gotta explain that sig photo man.
Shit cracks me up whenever I see it.

I think that every TruJunky has 2 friends/connects that look JUST like those dudes... Huh? (hilarious)

--- auto merge ---

I just got my ass on Medi-Cal also, it's tight... What was 200 a month is now free. Fuck ya.

But yo Gallows, I can't take it no more...
You gotta explain that sig photo man.
Shit cracks me up whenever I see it.

I think that every TruJunky has 2 friends/connects that look JUST like those dudes... Huh? (hilarious)

deadzone
07-26-2011, 05:45 AM
I called the local clinic to find out. I was a client in 03 and 04 but couldn't remember. They said $75 intake ans $15 a day until you become compliant then its 11 a day. I asked and they said compliance is no dirty UDS and monthly groups.

Dr_de_Bauche
07-26-2011, 06:04 AM
What happens to the people who end up totally ass-broke through their heroin use, possibly homeless and scraping together the next price of a bag, but decide they would like to try and stabilise & get on methadone? Are they fucked by that stage because they have no money? In which case it seems to me like methadone is reserved for those junkies who have the sense to budget for it before things get totally out of hand, or who are working, which would suggest that MMT is restricted to the least chaotic cases.

Or are there other mechanisms of support which would pay for someone whose on the streets & wants to get into MMT, like state-funded clinics or charities which would pay the intitial expenses until someone is stabilised?

deadzone
07-27-2011, 02:52 PM
None that I know of in my area. Dope is cheaper than help.

Tylercwxzy
07-29-2011, 03:56 PM
84$ on fridays, or if you pay monday its 92 I believe. Why? I haven't the slightest clue.... Oh and btw yes there are state funded clinics.

laxx
07-30-2011, 07:58 AM
A few clinics around here take welfare insurance so it really isn't a problem. If someone doesn't have welfare insurance the average intake fee is ~$75, so if they can hustle up money for dope they can figure out a way to get money for the intake..

Fat Pie
07-30-2011, 12:24 PM
In the UK if you are on any kind of benefit (a child or pensioner) or a low income which is supplemented with certain benefits then you pay absolutely nothing. If you are working regardless of how much you earn you pay 7.40 per prescription (as in the actual piece of paper) I've never had a prescription for methadone that lasts longer than two weeks but that could be different for other people.

If you are between the ages of 18-65, or are part of a program that exempts you from paying the going rate on a prescription (e.g. benefits), you pay 7.40 (used to be 7.20 until recently), so around $14 in US terms. I don't work, but still pay (19). 'Tis on the wall of the prescription counter at my Boots. You do not pay anything in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, I believe, only in England (they are part of the UK, but run under seperate governments with their own rules and regulations, but similar to here).

There has been debate as to why we pay and they don't, something to do with taxation or something. However, I am happy to pay my bit because it doesn't trouble my family to do so, and is pittance in comparison to the average cost of maintenance in the US (on the NHS, treatment is free, I just cover the cost of the medication, that's all; weight off all our minds).

In the 'States, you pay whatever the clinic asks of you, because insurance won't cover it.