PDA

View Full Version : ==---Oxymorphone Mega-Thread---==

Oxyphile
04-09-2011, 12:28 AM
General Info about Oxymorphone

Oxymorphone (brand names include Opana, Numorphan and Numorphone) is a potent, semi-synthetic opioid analgesic. It was patented by Endo Pharmaceuticals in 1955 and is distributed in the United States and elsewhere by Endo under the trade names Opana and Opana ER. Oxymorphone is preferable to morphine in many cases because it has a more tolerable side effect profile; it causes less euphoria, sedation and histamine reactions than morphine does. Morphine is a much older opiate known by many as the "gold standard" for opiates/opioids. However, great strides have been made in opioid chemistry since morphine was first synthesized. A newer, more potent opioid such as oxymorphone is often found to be a better option for a number of reasons, including decreased side effects.

Dosage Information about Oxymorphone

Opana is available in dosages of 5 and 10mg in tablet form. This is the instant-release form of oxymorphone. Opana ER, the extended-release form of oxymorphone, is available in dosages of 5mg, 7.5mg, 10mg, 15mg, 20mg, 30mg, and 40mg also in tablet form. Opana ER utilizes the TIMERx delivery system designed by Endo Pharmaceuticals to deliver medications over a longer duration of time. Instant release Opana has a duration of action of 5 to 13 hours with a mean duration of approximately 7 hours, while Opana ER has a much longer duration of action of 6 to 36 hours in some patients, although the mean duration is far closer to 6 than 36.

Dosages of Opana could be seen as somewhat low when compared to other opioids of which many more milligrams can often be safely taken at a time. This is because mg for mg, oxymorphone is more than twice the potency of oxycodone, another commonly prescribed and potent opioid medication. The opiate naive, those without a tolerance to opiates/opioids, whether they be new patients or new addicts SHOULD TREAD WITH CAUTION. OXYMORPHONE IS HIGHLY POTENT AND HAS THE POTENTIAL TO END YOUR LIFE. One 40mg tablet could very well kill an opiate naive user. Be educated, be safe.

Uses of Oxymorphone

Oxymorphone is indicated for the treatment of moderate to severe pain, both acute and chronic. It can also be used to maintain anesthesia during surgery. Opana ER is best suited for the treatment of chronic pain in patients who have previously or are currently on a regular opioid regimen. Opana IR is best suited for the treatment of breakthrough pain in patients who are also taking Opana ER, or any other long-acting or extended-release opioid such as Oxycontin or Fentanyl. There is also evidence that oxymorphone, along with many other opioids, can be useful for treating refractory depression (depression that has been unsuccessfully treated with other medications such as tricyclic anti-depressants).

Illicit Uses of Oxymorphone

Like all opioids, oxymorphone can cause both psychological and physical addiction/dependency, the latter producing opiate withdrawal symptoms upon discontinuation of the drug. Oxymorphone can cause euphoria, relief from anxiety or fear, increased socializing, and of course analgesia. For these reasons, many people without prescriptions use oxymorphone illicitly, obtaining it either from diverted prescriptions or clandestinely "home-baked" batches of the drug. Prior to 1972 when Endo Pharmaceuticals removed Numorphan from the market amidst regulatory and social pressures, oxymorphone was one of the most popular opioids of abuse. It even had a major movie debut; the "blues" in the film Drugstore Cowboy were the Numorphan brand of oxymorphone tablets.

Opana and Opana ER, the most common forms of oxymorphone in the present day, are still highly sought after and abused. Because of the low oral bioavailability of oxymorphone (~10%), illicit users and abusers most often consume the drug either by insufflating (snorting) or injecting it. Opana IR is preferred over Opana ER for injection because the TIMERx delivery system of Opana ER makes it very difficult/nearly impossible to effectively prepare for injection. When one puts the powdered pill into water to prepare a shot, it forms a gelatinous blob which cannot be drawn through a needle into the syringe. Opana ER can still be insufflated, however some "gelling" can still be noticed even with this ROA. Sometimes referred to as "opana boogers," small gelatinous blobs can form in your nose as a result of the oxymorphone coming into contact with moisture inside the nasal cavity. Clearing the nose with a swift, hard inhale or by insufflating water can help make sure that any leftover oxymorphone is properly absorbed.

Oxyphile
04-09-2011, 12:28 AM
a while back there was talk about making new user-created content for .us, before we switched back over to .org. i don't remember the idea really moving forward, but it seems like a good one and i'd still like to help out with the thread i agreed to create/compile/organize. i'll admit that i forgot about it myself for a while, but i was looking through some files and came across the info i put together so far. anyone with suggestions about formatting, information to add, etc., feel free to vm me

jill
04-09-2011, 02:46 AM
"Opana ER, the extended-release form of oxymorphone, is available in dosages of 5mg, 7.5mg, 10mg, 15mg, 20mg, 30mg, and 40mg also in tablet form."

Just an update on the dosages of Opana ER, the 7.5mg and 15mg tablets have been discontinued by the manufacturer.