PDA

View Full Version : How to get help paying for methadone treatment?

lightspeed
04-04-2011, 10:50 AM
I was recently informed that I can no longer collect my measely $101 dollars a week on unemployment since I will be going forward in my disability claim. The lawyer tells me that since collecting unemployment requires stating each week that you are willing and ABLE to work, under oath (on the telephone or pc weekly certification), then I would technically be committing fraud if I told the state contradicting statements. (example: telling them I'm also unable to work) No matter how likely, or unlikely that is, I do not want to be prosecuted, as I could afford that much less than struggling to pay for my treatment.

My clinic is very kind about all types of insurance, medicare/medicaid...and even understanding about late...very late payments. I always pay early, but just as an fyi, if someone needed to know that to answer my question.

Long story short:

How does someone with ZERO income, or LOW income go about continuing (or if framed for another user; starting) methadone treatment?

Thanks so much, in advance. Looking forward to everyone's insight...

jonsonville
04-04-2011, 11:05 AM
it varies depending on what state or country youre in. some clinics have a sliding scale so depending on your income you could pay nothing, or get varying amounts of financial assistance. you should talk to your clinics manager and see what they say and if they cant help check out others in your area. good luck.

also if you get disability it should be more than you were getting for unemployment, and most people i know who get on disability end up with a large first check cuz it has backpay included.

Import
04-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Do you have insurance?

If not, go to your county/state offices and ask about insurance for low/no income individuals. I was homeless in Minnesota for a few years, and they not only gave me insurance, but payed for treatment (a fund called "rule 25"... unique to MN as far as I know). However, Minnesota is THE most generous state when it comes to helping out its poor citizens (although budget cut are rapidly changing this). I'm now in Seattle and I see a lot of "no income" folks at my clinic, so SOMETHING is available (WA also being quite liberal).

God help you if you live in the south...

I have extensive experience wrangling methadone funding for myself... send a VM is you'd like more info.

SHELLEY
04-04-2011, 12:38 PM
you could always go down on someone
this is a great method of fundraising for methadone, subs, or really anything
time to take my own advice... :)

pokergooch
04-04-2011, 01:01 PM
To the OP: You really are in a bind. When it comes to applying for disability,iv'e heard that they decline a big percentage of claims. So, if you give up your unemployment and you get denied your claim, you could be out both incomes.

Good luck...

BTW, you may qualify for medicaid in your state, if you don't most states do have an alternate program. Utah has a program called pcn. They wont pay for hospital stays, but it does pay for doctors appts. and up to 5 scripts a month.. Im sure almost every state has some sort of program for people in your situation..

IF you get on disability, you will be able to get medicare.I was on disability about 11 years ago and I couldn't live on the payments. Ive been self employed for most of my life so I was probably getting the minimum. Either way, it will be more than 100 bucks a week, thats for sure...

Dolofinell
04-04-2011, 01:38 PM
In GR where Im at in MI we have 2 clinics, the one I went to for 7 years was the self pay, cash only clinic, they were very strict. No leniency, they would start a 7 day feetox the first day you came in without your payment on your day to pay. Even if you had $65 of the $70 weekly bill they'd start dropping you until you brought that $5. It was B.S.

The other clinic is government funded through the county, you have to go to the correct county office, not sure which one, and apply to be accepted based on income etc. It is all free to the patient and is not hard to get accepted if you've fallin on hard times financially. Not sure how your county/state work but you should check out the government funded clinic if there is one or apply for medicaid and find out if your clinic or another nearby accepts it.

Best of luck to you, that is a really shitty feeling, trying to pay for treatment that is. Again, Good luck....Dolo...

Edit: I see your clinic accepts medicaid, apply A.S.A.P don't wait

Smaxie
04-04-2011, 01:45 PM
I am in Texas and they have a program here called northstar that will pay for people with no income. Only certain clinics will accept it, however. The one I go to is strictly private pay. So once again, depends on your state and your clinic.

clinton
04-04-2011, 07:40 PM
You have online access, lookup the clinics in your area- there are websites with descriptions regarding fees, dosing. Etc, I found one ten minutes from me that has a sliding scale , homeless or disabled its free or very cheap
What state are you in?

Import
04-04-2011, 08:13 PM
you could always go down on someone
this is a great method of fundraising for methadone, subs, or really anything
time to take my own advice... :)

Cock in one hand, cup of red juice in the other.

SHELLEY
04-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Cock in one hand, cup of red juice in the other.

that's how i got my 'done in the beginning, when i was struggling hard to stay off heroin...

Chipper
04-04-2011, 08:44 PM
There are clinics in my town that are free but there is some sort of a waiting list, I believe, but they don't offer any take-away doses.

Here, Methadone is free but you pay for the dispensing. Seeing the doctor, in all cases, is covered by Medicare (government provided free healthcare).

Although some would say "well, you managed to get together for dope so you at least afford Methadone" but from what I have seen, it's a huge struggle for a few.

I am totally in favour of free Methadone to who ever needs it. Why ? Because it stops people who have spent everything on Heroin, from then having to resort to crime to just stay well.

People forget that those who end up on Methadone, usually do so because they have run out of other options -- options that cost money.

Lightspeed, I wish you godspeed in finding some worthwhile paid work.

lightspeed
04-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks so much guys! I'm sure this advice will not only benefit me, but any future ophiles on MMT. So far I've not used any "illegal substance" since I started MMT on Nov. 29th, 2010. (my father's birthday, who was killed a year ago..we both had drug problems, but his only hope was that one day I'd get treatment and get better etc...) I don't count any more, but deep down, I know I've done the right thing, and am not planning on giving up treatment any time soon.

It costs 60 a week. My unemployment is set to expire in it's last tier in two months anyway. I had a deal to get it for 19.00 a month, and tried my best to get in all the forms, and did, but was denied, probably because i'm in such a red state/ people who don't believe in any kind of social help, much less helping someone keep off hard drugs. (go figure...to me it seems like a security to be embraced. Anyway, it didn't work out...

To the OP: You really are in a bind. When it comes to applying for disability,iv'e heard that they decline a big percentage of claims. So, if you give up your unemployment and you get denied your claim, you could be out both incomes.

Good luck...

BTW, you may qualify for medicaid in your state, if you don't most states do have an alternate program. Utah has a program called pcn. They wont pay for hospital stays, but it does pay for doctors appts. and up to 5 scripts a month.. Im sure almost every state has some sort of program for people in your situation..

IF you get on disability, you will be able to get medicare.I was on disability about 11 years ago and I couldn't live on the payments. Ive been self employed for most of my life so I was probably getting the minimum. Either way, it will be more than 100 bucks a week, thats for sure...

Most people are in a bind or catch these days. People don't realize how much of the right wing agenda makes it to the law books. Welfare reform, red tape, and a lot of quick sand for poor folks to walk in to get to the right side...

In GR where Im at in MI we have 2 clinics, the one I went to for 7 years was the self pay, cash only clinic, they were very strict. No leniency, they would start a 7 day feetox the first day you came in without your payment on your day to pay. Even if you had $65 of the $70 weekly bill they'd start dropping you until you brought that $5. It was B.S.

The other clinic is government funded through the county, you have to go to the correct county office, not sure which one, and apply to be accepted based on income etc. It is all free to the patient and is not hard to get accepted if you've fallin on hard times financially. Not sure how your county/state work but you should check out the government funded clinic if there is one or apply for medicaid and find out if your clinic or another nearby accepts it.

Best of luck to you, that is a really shitty feeling, trying to pay for treatment that is. Again, Good luck....Dolo...

Edit: I see your clinic accepts medicaid, apply A.S.A.P don't wait

I will try, but I think unless you are a woman, or a pregnant man with children...(yes I realize what I said...that's how ridiculous I find eligibility around here, but I will try.) I have a child under 19, but I can't actually have him on the books, since my ex has legal custody of him. I have been in and out of the dhs office for changes in income.unemployment and trying to get all the food benefits I'm entitled too, which seems to take them 20-30 days before they give me anything...each time I make a change. It's just BS in the united states, especially in the red states (but it's still better in Oklahoma than Alabama) If only I could have myself and all my loved ones in Europe instead...so much more help.

I am in Texas and they have a program here called northstar that will pay for people with no income. Only certain clinics will accept it, however. The one I go to is strictly private pay. So once again, depends on your state and your clinic.

Our clinic is wonderful about accepting all kinds of programs. I've been skeptical about going back to the DHS since I seem to be making my case worker so busy with my food stamps that it takes 20-30 days for me to get any at all.

You have online access, lookup the clinics in your area- there are websites with descriptions regarding fees, dosing. Etc, I found one ten minutes from me that has a sliding scale , homeless or disabled its free or very cheap
What state are you in?

Oklahoma. Thanks! Yes, I've been trying my best to do just that! If anyone knows anything I don't, please share!

There are clinics in my town that are free but there is some sort of a waiting list, I believe, but they don't offer any take-away doses.

Here, Methadone is free but you pay for the dispensing. Seeing the doctor, in all cases, is covered by Medicare (government provided free healthcare).

Although some would say "well, you managed to get together for dope so you at least afford Methadone" but from what I have seen, it's a huge struggle for a few.

I am totally in favour of free Methadone to who ever needs it. Why ? Because it stops people who have spent everything on Heroin, from then having to resort to crime to just stay well.

People forget that those who end up on Methadone, usually do so because they have run out of other options -- options that cost money.

Lightspeed, I wish you godspeed in finding some worthwhile paid work.

Chipper, you're such a genuine person, and I can feel your empathy, and see that you are authentic and like this in real life too. Thanks so much for your support and advice. I agree! Instead of everyone getting at each other, wouldn't it be nice if everyone could just come together and give addicts and users a voice in the world...a real voice, with real power?

I'm always tempted to write congress when I see things that just aren't right. Problem is...I just don't know where to start...a lot of things are wrong. It sure is nice to have people that care though. Thanks everyone. :)

I won't give up, and if I find another way, I will let everyone know!

Shelly: I like pussy, so I'm not sure that would work. I'm not downing you though...If I were a woman, or gay, I'd probably be considering it. It's just not an option. :P