PDA

View Full Version : how do you find out if you have warrants without asking cops or courts(USA)

n33d2Bn0dd1n
12-28-2010, 12:35 AM
I know its easy enough to find out if you have a criminal background, but does anyone know of a means to find out if you have active warrants against you? I've had some tickets in various jurisdictions that I've flat out ignored, and I've been back to them and run into cops that felt like harassing me for various reasons. I'd be scared out of my mind, expecting to go to jail over some stupid fine I didn't have the money to pay for (for a crime that shouldn't have been a crime in the first place,) and I've also been in situations where cops told me I had warrants when I know for a fact that I didn't... well, I'm in a situation now where my daughter's mother has moved her to a jurisdiction where I may or may not have a warrant pending, and I want to find out if it would be dangerous to visit her. Does anyone know of a way to find out?

losangeleslifer
12-28-2010, 03:03 AM
I know its easy enough to find out if you have a criminal background, but does anyone know of a means to find out if you have active warrants against you? I've had some tickets in various jurisdictions that I've flat out ignored, and I've been back to them and run into cops that felt like harassing me for various reasons. I'd be scared out of my mind, expecting to go to jail over some stupid fine I didn't have the money to pay for (for a crime that shouldn't have been a crime in the first place,) and I've also been in situations where cops told me I had warrants when I know for a fact that I didn't... well, I'm in a situation now where my daughter's mother has moved her to a jurisdiction where I may or may not have a warrant pending, and I want to find out if it would be dangerous to visit her. Does anyone know of a way to find out?
Sack up And call the fucking courthouse!!!

FlapJack
12-28-2010, 03:08 AM
when i was in nyc (up till a few months ago) there was no way for me to call anywhere to check if I had warrants for anything. only a lawyer could or a person from the drop in centre/needle exchange that would call and say they're our youth advocate. Note i wasn't under 18 or anything but the drop in centre i went to was for 25 and under.

Baroness
12-28-2010, 03:29 AM
Check and see if there are web-sites for A jurisdiction in question. Sometimes you can search for information on your case. Clerk of Courts web-sites would be a start.

State DMV web-sites are useful for telling you if you have a warrant or warrant-block on your license.

Call the Courthouse/Court in question. Say you are checking for your brother/sister/uncle, etc. to see if active warrants exist. Hell, you could even choose to be yourself. I've yet find a situation where they can reach through the phone and slap cuffs on you.

chopstix
12-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Sack up And call the fucking courthouse!!!

Word, call 'em up, then send a post card..

Any licensed PI can run a Civ/Crim check on you and they should be able to inquire about warrants, depends on a couple things - wouldn't hurt to call one in your state and ask them about it - I wouldn't pay more than a bill for that search, and I'd think 50 would be more reasonable, but PI's can get greedy..

edit: I just remembered that I ran a warrant search on myself online a few years ago, I think it was like $30.. Obviously be very careful about investigative websites; lots of them are just running a BS hustle and don't have access to anymore data than the average person..

upstate_007
12-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Block your caller ID and call. I did that not too long ago and it worked fine.

ka11ink
12-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Yup, call from a pay phone, they can't arrest you via telephone wire.

chopstix
12-28-2010, 01:13 PM
The only thing about calling, is if you get a "yes" then you're fine; but me, I wouldn't trust a "no" - cops lie.

upstate_007
12-28-2010, 02:09 PM
The only thing about calling, is if you get a "yes" then you're fine; but me, I wouldn't trust a "no" - cops lie.

Good point.

jdub
12-28-2010, 07:56 PM

These are court clerks you are talking to when you call not cops. I did it a month or two ago b/c my license expired and I wanted to make sure I didn't have a warrant on top of that.

Doesn't mean they won't lie, but they seem to be less dickish and more clerkish.

n33d2Bn0dd1n
12-28-2010, 10:38 PM
thanks for the input. helpful stuf... btw, maybe I'm being over-sensitive, but this isn't really a "sack up" situation - they just moved a week ago, and I will call the court if need be, but I was trying to avoid that if possible.

jdub
12-29-2010, 12:54 AM
thanks for the input. helpful stuf... btw, maybe I'm being over-sensitive, but this isn't really a "sack up" situation - they just moved a week ago, and I will call the court if need be, but I was trying to avoid that if possible.

Any reason you don't wanna call? I just can't really see a downside.

havok
12-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Another easy way is to call a bail bondsman. Bail bondsmen deal with warrants a lot because if you have a warrant, you can post the bail without actually having to go to jail, and get a court date. (Warrants always have a corresponding bail amount)

A bail bondsman will check if you have any warrants for free because they want to get your business. Plus, bail bondsmen have their own access to the NCIC database so they can check for warrants on there own.

n33d2Bn0dd1n
12-29-2010, 01:03 AM
Any reason you don't wanna call? I just can't really see a downside.
I don't like talking to the government for any reason. For the most part they're illegitimate thugs running a well organized bureaucratic crime syndicate, and if I can avoid it in any way, I will. Plus I'm a little unreasonably paranoid by nature, if that wasn't obvious.

WeJamminn
03-06-2011, 10:40 AM
lol yall r bein silly as fuck about this. just call the fuckin courthouse so what if you use your house number or whatever else i had a warrant out for me on a missed court appearance for felony intent to distribute and called the courthouse on my parents house phone. It's not like the clerk is gonna be like on the other line with LE being like "HE CALLED TRACE THE NUMBER HE"S FUCKED HAHA STUPID MOTHERFUCKER!!"

SHELLEY
03-06-2011, 10:54 AM
pay a warrant free friend of the same gender $25 bucks to go to the police station
and have them give your name as theirs and ask if "they" have any warrants out
if the answer is yes and they go to arrest friend, have him pull out his ID and say he was just asking for a friend
this does work!

ToeKnee
03-06-2011, 12:08 PM
pay a warrant free friend of the same gender $25 bucks to go to the police station
and have them give your name as theirs and ask if "they" have any warrants out
if the answer is yes and they go to arrest friend, have him pull out his ID and say he was just asking for a friend
this does work!

Unless of course the cops a dick and gets her for obstruction/false reporting/impeding a legal process(a lesser offense than obstruction). It's happened.. not in this situation exactly (IME) but yea they can be dicks.

Every warrant is reported through the NCIC (national crime information center) or should be. Call another state LEA they have the same info as your state. Especially if it's minor they won't care.

- I know this is kinda old but it caught my eye... Sorry

jimmyfingers
03-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Call a PI and have them do it?

dharma bum
03-06-2011, 03:11 PM
I called the public defender's office to find out if i had one.

candyman20
03-06-2011, 03:35 PM
bailbondsman can do it or just wait and see, last time i had a warrant i learned bout it cause the cops showed up where my last known adress was

jimmyfingers
03-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Pretend your Dog the Bounty Hunter.

candyman20
03-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Pretend your Dog the Bounty Hunter.

haha that made my day man

Thanat0s
03-06-2011, 07:55 PM
shit just get caught speeding,
youll find out...

ryan5892
03-07-2011, 09:49 AM

lawyers dont, to us, most of the time.

i would call my lawyer.

Hankswife
03-07-2011, 01:03 PM
I had to renew my drivers lic, and veh registration last yr, and the state's website had a listing of parking ticks and other infractions, so I am thinking that warrants would be there if they were to hinder your ability to renew licenses or registrations...you know?

WeJamminn
03-07-2011, 05:03 PM
im pretty sure all of this is unnecessary unless you're just paranoid or something but in my case like i said i had a warrant out n just called to see if i did. It was only a misdemeanor but no cops showed up to arrest me or anything n i didnt block my number or anything like that. If they have your address on file n you do have a warrant out they might have shown up already to get you but generally you can just call the court house and see if you have a warrant without really having to worry about them sending cops over to get you the minute you hang up the phone..

erica
03-19-2011, 07:38 PM
This isn't a big deal at all, so just take a deep breath and relax! :)

I've done this quite a bit. All you do is call up the courthouse and talk to one of the clerks. Just say, "I'm checking to see if there are any outstanding warrants for someone." They'll ask for name and birthdate and that's it, I believe. This is a simple, routine, and common service. No, you won't get arrested, it won't be reported to the police, and you don't even have to say it's you. Although, there's really no reason not to. You have a right to this information and no one is going to call up the police to report that you asked about a warrant.

Some counties/sheriff's offices have all the information you're looking for, available online.

Let us know what you choose to do and how it goes!