PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for DXM...Guaifenesin/Siltussin

Opiyum
08-14-2006, 10:20 PM
GUAIFENESIN (Humibid®, Mucinex™, Robitussin®, and others) helps treat coughs caused by colds or the flu. It loosens phlegm or mucus in the lungs. It is not intended to treat chronic cough caused by smoking, asthma, emphysema, heart failure, or problems in which there is a large amount of phlegm. Generic guaifenesin is available as prescription or non-prescription capsules, extended-release capsules, tablets, extended-release tablets, and oral liquids. Generic Mucinex™ tablets are not available.

Does this stuff have the same effect as Robotussin. The bottle actually says "sompare to the active ingredient in Robotussin". Well I'm gonna try it anyway but do any of you fuckers have any experience with it.
I enjoy the cost. Being that it's lower and such.

robojunkie
08-14-2006, 11:09 PM
The name brand you mention, Siltussin, I'm not familiar with but "Robitussin" is just guaifenesin, no DXM. It absolutely has to be "Robitussin DM" or some equivalent. Guaifenesin won't do shite. There are plenty of gelcaps with DXM and even caplets. Right now I'm looking at a CVS "chest congestion relief DM" generic bottle of 50 20/400 DXM/guaifenesin caplets that cost only 6 or 7 bucks. Main point, most stuff without DM in the name aint shite. Guaifenesin will just have you hacking up water instead of snot.

Opiyum
08-14-2006, 11:27 PM
Sorry bout the technicality. Im aware of the whole DM thing. Now that you mention it though I didnt think about the fact that they were saying to compare it to regular Robo without the DM as you said. My Bad.

You know what though I actually have some of these gelcaps they are Robo brand cough gels and the active ingredient is Dextro but the bottle is not labeled as DM....Huh?

I dont know but what Im getting is that the Guaifessin shit isnt the same as DXM....well that got resolved quickly.

trip.more
08-15-2006, 12:45 AM
no they don't actually they are poisonis at the same doses DXM in the syrup is active

Opiyum
08-15-2006, 12:54 AM
No idea what your talking about.

chemboy7
08-15-2006, 02:41 AM
I think what he is saying is that the dose of that particular medication that would equal an active dose of DXM would give you a poisonous dose of Guaifenesin. I am unfamiliar with what the DXM/Guaifenesin ratio is but is sounds plausible... definatley don't want to take too much Guaifenesin; won't get you high just sick as hell.

robojunkie
08-15-2006, 03:03 AM
I really don't know what the toxic dose of guafenesin is, it seems to vary greatly where one looks, but I know when I was 17 to 19 I would blast out on DXM/guafenesin (all there was then, everything had both until the Robitussin maximum strength stuff). Usually 475 mgs (8 oz bottle, 10/100). I did this everyday for months and months (hence the name robojunkie) and I never noticed anything from the guafenesin. This would have been 5 grams of it a day for a long time. Much more of a concern for this stuff is the coricidins with all the other crap in them. Some health care people say its really a bad idea to take that much and others act as though its a virtual placebo. Who knows. LD50(rat)=1.5 grams/kg. Pretty high.

chemboy7
08-15-2006, 03:09 AM
I really don't know what the toxic dose of guafenesin is, it seems to vary greatly where one looks, but I know when I was 17 to 19 I would blast out on DXM/guafenesin (all there was then, everything had both until the Robitussin maximum strength stuff). Usually 475 mgs (8 oz bottle, 10/100). I did this everyday for months and months (hence the name robojunkie) and I never noticed anything from the guafenesin. This would have been 5 grams of it a day for a long time. Much more of a concern for this stuff is the coricidins with all the other crap in them. Some health care people say its really a bad idea to take that much and others act as though its a virtual placebo. Who knows. LD50(rat)=1.5 grams/kg. Pretty high.

I never really got into DXM but I always assumed that Coricidin (or however you spell it) had only one active drug, DXM.

robojunkie
08-15-2006, 03:22 AM
A number of people, usually teen agers for whatever reason, have wound up in the hospital with chlorpheniramine poisoning from coricidins (some have died). The other variety is also bad as it contains apap. I'm not aware of a dxm only coricidin. I haven't gone on a robotrip for 8 years but I sometimes troll the cough and cold aisle just to see what's new and I think the only "clean" DXM's are robo max, robo cough gels, delsym polystirex and a couple of others. Then only pills I know of are the liquicaps and generic caps, but those have guafenesin. I'm sure there are others too, though, there's so many.