PDA

View Full Version : tips to sharpen a used rig

ill_motions
12-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Well i was reading some stuff in here and unfortunatly I dont have alot of options but I managed to get a single rig. one of my own but its dull. I read where someone was sharpening with a match box. I saw that someone was also melting there needle back onto the rig. so i had and idea maybe i could get a diabetic lance and connect that to the rig if i couldnt sharpen it well enough. is there any way to remove the old needle and do that possibly? ive never really been that great hitting with a rig that i used more than once or twice. so any suggestions?

normus420
12-02-2010, 11:22 PM
I suppose its possible but I sure as hell would not do it or advise anyone does. I guess with a magnifying glass, sharping stone and some know how you could make them better then new. I wouldn't try it especially after removing the needle and putting it back on. Imagine what would happen if you didn't put that needle back on correctly and it fell off in your vein??

Chuckles
12-02-2010, 11:32 PM
the thought of ripping open a hole in my arm with a freshly sharpened rig makes me shudder...
...but I guess it's better than the stories my uncle used to tell me about using the needle from a basketball pump in the texas prison system...
So good look with that...

duck
12-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Did one of the female guards at the prison queef into the hose to provide the pressure for your uncle to shoot his drugs with the basketball air pump needle?

JonnyM
12-03-2010, 12:42 AM
WTF Duck?

HeroinHelper has an article about this but before I post I'd like to say just go get a new pin, and if you can't you should order some online so the next time you won't be stuck in this situation. Its dangerous to sharpen an old rig and shards of metal can get into your veins... or you could make it so dull that it is practically useless (unless you don't mind drilling holes into yourself)

http://www.heroinhelper.com/user/admin/sharpening.shtml

upstate_007
12-03-2010, 06:22 AM
^^ Yep.

and please do not try to remove the needle part and put it back on. That has bad news written all over it.

Go to an exchange or mail order some if you have to.

Chuckles
12-03-2010, 07:45 AM
yeah, its like ten dollars for a hundred online... it will be money will spent.

OxyRush Limbaugh
12-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Why would the heroinhelper author tell us to buy and pay in person for a sharpening stone? it's not considered drug related AFAIK.

I wince when someone says needles are damaged by skin. Bone and needlecaps, yes. But skin? Needles will dull with use but I don't buy the damage argument. GnD explained it well.

Lastly, believe it or not, in the past all needles were re-used many, many times without incident. I'm old enough to remember standing in a long line of kids getting vaccinated at school. Many of you here are so young this is news to you.

The nurse had about 10 needles she rotated for 500 or so kids. No idea what the vaccination was but likely s.c in nature. Those needles were just sharpened and sent back into the field for the next round of shots. Hell, 20 years ago my dentist still used permanent needles.

Perhaps their stainless composition was better able to hold an edge compared to todays one-use.

I don't know. I'm not a metallurgist.

ryan5892
12-03-2010, 09:07 AM
i would try never sharpen a rig, that makes my arms hurt just thinking about it, and with a matchbox? wtf?

GOLD N DIEMONDS
12-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Why would the heroinhelper author tell us to buy and pay in person for a sharpening stone? it's not considered drug related AFAIK.

I wince when someone says needles are damaged by skin. Bone and needlecaps, yes. But skin? Needles will dull with use but I don't buy the damage argument. GnD explained it well.

LMAO- Yup I thought the same thing, - A sharpening stone- WTF?:confused:
you can buy them most anywhere, Home depot , any woodworking supply store, don't think it will cause the cops to show up at your front door. Arkansas stone are great ,but there expensive.

SKIP THE MATCH BOOK- Easiest thing is to buy a sheet out 600 grit silicon carbide sandpaper, lay on flat hard surface and use that to sharpen the pins. It not easy if you don't understand the methods of sharpening and the fine gauge pins are hard to sharpen because there are so thin, that there flexible when pressure is applied. To sharpen a pin you need to keep the exact angles that are being sharpen. So if you follow that guide try to apply enough pressure and hold pin rigid. Or leave to front alone and lay the pin's backside flat against the sandpaper and pull it toward you rotating it as you doing this. just a few pulls like that and it will give you a sharper point then want you have.
But it not going to be that great, so this is just to use until you-
ORDER A PACKAGE OF NEW NEEDLEs

PS- thanks OxyRush agreeing .and even reaing GnD explaintion
;)

upstate_007
12-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Lastly, believe it or not, in the past all needles were re-used many, many times without incident. I'm old enough to remember standing in a long line of kids getting vaccinated at school. Many of you here are so young this is news to you.

Those needles were most likely manufactured differently and of higher quality. Needles these days are meant for single use and are made accordingly. All they have to do is make them suitable for piercing the skin once which makes it cheaper to produce.

Poppylvr
12-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Well i was reading some stuff in here and unfortunatly I dont have alot of options but I managed to get a single rig. one of my own but its dull. I read where someone was sharpening with a match box. I saw that someone was also melting there needle back onto the rig. so i had and idea maybe i could get a diabetic lance and connect that to the rig if i couldnt sharpen it well enough. is there any way to remove the old needle and do that possibly? ive never really been that great hitting with a rig that i used more than once or twice. so any suggestions?
Back in the dark ages, we nurses used to reuse and refile needles, true.
BUT: The steel was much stronger and thicker in the reusable needles of the dinsoaur era, they could withstand sharpening.
THE NEW, MODERN NEEDLES DO NOT RE SHARPEN. DO NOT RESHARPEN NEEDLES.
Go to a pharmacy and ask for syringes to give your doggie's insulin. He takes 35 units of NPH insulin daily (he's a big dog). Ask for one cc syringes with a 1/2 inch 29 gauge needle. If you look even close to respectable the pharm should sell them to you.

In case you didn't get me when I said it earlier: DO NOT RESHARPEN YOUR NEEDLES.

OxyRush Limbaugh
12-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Back in the dark ages, we nurses used to reuse and refile needles, true.
BUT: The steel was much stronger and thicker in the reusable needles of the dinsoaur era, they could withstand sharpening.
THE NEW, MODERN NEEDLES DO NOT RE SHARPEN. DO NOT RESHARPEN NEEDLES.
Go to a pharmacy and ask for syringes to give your doggie's insulin. He takes 35 units of NPH insulin daily (he's a big dog). Ask for one cc syringes with a 1/2 inch 29 gauge needle. If you look even close to respectable the pharm should sell them to you.

In case you didn't get me when I said it earlier: DO NOT RESHARPEN YOUR NEEDLES.

Poppy,

the dog reason is the best one I've ever heard. Totally sensible and no way for a dickhead pharm tech to refute it. Shoulda saw this one bty myself as my ex's cat was diabetic.

How long did it take to sharpen the old pins? Did you use a magnifier to check out your handiwork? That's so cool... So, did difficult patients ever get a not so sharp needle occassionally? :D

Thai_Stick
12-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Also today, with the use of much thinner needles than they've ever used, they choose much softer steels to give them the ability to flex with out breaking. The needles are designed with the idea that they will only be used once in mind, so having them be flexible is far more important than having them dull slowly.

This "HeroinHelper" article makes it pretty clear that sharpening needles won't get them close to store-bought shape, will do much more harm to your body, and that using bad technique can make them much more dangerous than they were before you sharpened them. It seems to have been posted as a last resort method, not something to rely up

You might as well just snap the needle off, plug it, and order some with fast shipping.

I know alot about sharpening knives, and can tell you for certain that you will be leaving micro-serrations that will tear you up as well as have burrs hanging, very possibly in places you can't get to them

OxyRush Limbaugh
12-03-2010, 09:28 PM
this topic is fascinating.

I found my pins (described in another thread) and used a 100x loupe to take a look.

well, I was amazed to see what I consider , some pretty rough edges. the point was flawless, but the shoulders of the bevel meeting the barrel were nasty looking. striations and sawtooth like areas. not something I'd like to stick in my skin.

I don't have a way to photograph what I saw, dammit. my film based gear (old nikon stuff) had microscope adapters. it would be a cinch to record the pins with that stuff. oh well.

SeVeN
12-04-2010, 10:29 AM
I have sharpened rigs on a smooth "wet stone". It KIND OF worked. The problem is that even if you do make it a bit sharper you actually run the risk of creating an even bigger barb at the underside of the needle.

You will feel the barb most definately when you are pulling out. Long story short. Don't do it.

Pantopon Pete
12-04-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm surprised this thread has gone this far withiut anyone asking the OP: You're from WA and they don't sell spikes at pharmacies? This just seems like a horrible thing to do to yourself. They're like $2.00 for 10 at cvs and stop and shop here in CT. Getting harder and harder to find Rph's who don't give you the stinkeye for buying them, but fuck 'em.

And that's just if you need a rig ASAP. Of course you should order them in bulk if you have a few days to wait. Sharpening those things and digging them in and out of my horrible scar tissue makes me cringe just thinking about it. They hurt enough when you're usung one for the third or fourth (or fifth, etc...) time. Eek.

ill_motions
12-05-2010, 03:18 PM
i `just moved to california. im in san juan capistrano. i went to multiple pharmacies to buy but no one will give them up. I am gonna try the dog thing tho. or maybe i could just go to a vets office? they are serious bitches about it. im in rehab to so i dont really have alot of opportunities to get what i need.