PDA

View Full Version : missed.. bump.

LayinLow
11-29-2010, 11:13 AM
I missed about 20 units of a shot, left a bump. I hate blood filled shots. Anyway, I have missed in the past, and warm water seems to work well on these bumps... what do you guys do? I'm not talking about an abscess, just a bump where the missed solution is.. a little painful, but if I left it alone it would be gone in an hour or so. I don't wanna leave it alone this time, so I was asking for your wonderful, caring ophile advice what do U do?
To think my hands were so great to find veins in just a few weeks ago. ;\ Don't get me wrong, yes, I know it could turn into an abscess, but 99% for me it won't... and I shoot something or other everyday.... (attractive, I know)

p.s.- while taking clothes out of the dryer, a warm sock was oh so nice on my problem bump. It seems numb. Oh God what did I do to myself? heh
;p
to recap - hard, painful BUMP, thats numb. The shot was of a redneck upper nature, so the bump feels 'different' than when I miss a little dilly or other painkiller.

McJunky
11-29-2010, 11:31 AM
One time I had to go to the ER because I missed and one of the things the doc did was put a warm cloth on the area. So apparently it does help. Also, massage the area to break up the fluid thats gathered. I always do this and if it still doesn't go away I take antibiotic (If I have it or can get some). I've never had one bad enough that I couldn't fix by doing these things.

LayinLow
11-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the reply McDouble. "THE bump" after 1.25 hours is hardly numb anymore, but still painful to the touch... I know my health is not something you care to discuss, i just shoot a lot, and this bump was unique. Probably of the shit I was shooting, but don't worry all you people who responded.... I'll live. ;) But damn one reply? assholeses

flowergirl
11-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Still alive? I hope it's better!

Be careful taking antibiotics. Not all ABs are good for all infections, and you really should finish the whole prescription even when symptoms stop, so no leftovers!
:)

Bartholomew
11-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Yes, what's been said is pretty much the best thing to do for an 'at home' remedy.

I have a heat pad that you can use for loosening muscles or whatever. I usually set this on medium and wrap it around my arm (or wherever the affected area is) and letting it sit for 15-20 minutes. After letting the heat sit I remove it and massage the area for 1-2 minutes. I usually do this in repeating cycles until the bump starts to get better.

Good luck man, hope it's nothing and that this will work for you.

Uncle Wiggly
11-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Heat and gentle massage to the affected area. Heat will increase the blood-flow to the site and massage will help disperse anything that's still hanging around.

Of course there's always the Kangaroo Dung Poultice but that's usually reserved as a last resort. You can expect my bill in the mail. :p

tui
11-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Sounds like you're all sorted LL

Warm compress is the best remedy I've found. Makes it less owwy.

One time I had to go to the ER because I missed and one of the things the doc did was put a warm cloth on the area. So apparently it does help. Also, massage the area to break up the fluid thats gathered. I always do this and if it still doesn't go away I take antibiotic (If I have it or can get some). I've never had one bad enough that I couldn't fix by doing these things.

a) you went to ER because of a MISSED SHOT?
b) never take random antibiotics, they can seriously compromise your immune system. And as FG said, if you take one you have to take the whole course.

JonnyM
11-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Some missed shots can get incredibly infected and you risk sepsis... in cases like that its best you go to the ER....

Most the time a hot compress will do the trick.

LayinLow
11-29-2010, 02:33 PM
update 3 hours 11minutes - arm has fallen off. hey, least it was my left, still got trusty right for "self cuddling" and eating.

Naww, it's better. Still slightly raised and some pain if touched, looks a lot better. Warm water while massaging did the trick. I would never take a day or two of antibiotics as this would be pointless, takes days to just build up. Those zpaks are something else though. I am thankful for the thought tho McChiken, you were my soul survivor through this ordeal. <3<3<3 appreciate the help friends. Less owwy is just #1 priority my love Tui, my sub doctor wouldn't get my humor about a missed shot tho. :\ hey, it wasn't a sub shot, he can give me a break.
Dear Unclewiggly, dung poultice uncalled for, but I will pay you a small fee for bringing such a new procedure to the table. You are a lifesaver wiggly...modern medicine is yours for the taking.
The drugs are good at least, as you can tell ;) the bump made a shot into extended release.. patent soon to come.

harmonik
11-29-2010, 04:12 PM
I've had bumps hurt for 4-5 days before they stopped, and most of the time they stay there as some sort of bad reminder

"infection to all ye unclean who enter here"

seriously, they are hard as fuck though for like a week to two weeks.. seriously ruins circulation sometimes.

edit: i always used the rule... if it wasn't hot to the touch compared to surrounding skin and didn't get significantly bigger... i'd be fine

i've had one or two that hurt when moving my arms around, those scared the shit out of me..

never a real bad infection, though. never lancing or going to the doctor... been very lucky

LayinLow
11-29-2010, 04:23 PM
thing is, I was clean as the pope's bathroom. Missing uppers is just never a good idea. I've had one bad abscess that had me in the ER.... I told them the truth... i missed a shot of dilaudid.... the doc gave me 10 perc 5's and told me not to abuse them when I was done... that worked well :(

McJunky
11-29-2010, 07:24 PM
LayinLow- Glad it's not numb anymore, bumps are always scary...you never know

Tui- Sorry, I probably didn't give enough info in my post. I went to the ER because it wasn't just any missed shot. It wasn't going away and it was getting worse. So to be safe I went to the ER. Didn't want to lose my arm or anything! And I only take antibiotic if I have enough for a full cycle. This is a last resort. If I don't have enough and feel I really need them I go to the doctor. Sorry for the confusion.

LayinLow
11-29-2010, 07:51 PM
No confusion McGriddle. The numbness was what was a little scary... never felt that before. The bump is gone now, just pain when touched, and a memory. If YOU are concerned, you don't need to post why you thought going to the ER was needed..you know your body more than us. It's just I don't know how I got that much blood in the rig not finding a vein. dark deep red, good luck registering again eh

SHELLEY
11-30-2010, 04:58 AM
it was meth? i can only guess from "redneck upper"
the shots of crank i've missed have left scars that idon't believe will EVER go away

good luck

LayinLow
11-30-2010, 06:00 AM
i can't see any scar or even any more raising of the skin... thanks for the uplifting comments tho. ;p
My hands n arms have scars throughout anyway from wrecks, burns, needles, mutilations etc but this bump won't be leaving one.
Thanks guys

LayinLow
11-30-2010, 06:01 AM
i can't see any scar or even any more raising of the skin... thanks for the uplifting comments tho. ;p
My hands n arms have scars throughout anyway from wrecks, burns, needles, mutilations etc but this bump won't be leaving one.
Thanks guys

tui
12-01-2010, 03:48 AM
Ack.... didn't realise you missed a shot of up. That is dastardly. It just sits there. When I had a coke habit my arms always stunk of coke. Screwed up my veins bad. Deep thick scars that haven't faded in 3+ years of no-use.

I remember the lowest night quite clearly, took two hours tears streaming to get a shot in, then I discovered I could squeeze foul-smelling pus out of both arms, and it just kept coming and coming. Ah.... memories.