PDA

View Full Version : Oxy-vs-Hydro...?

methadonian
10-09-2010, 07:52 PM
I have long been curious about the chemical differences between oxycodone,oxymorphone as opposed to hydrocodone,hydromorphone. I know what about the trade names,opana,dialaudid,percocet,vicodin, but I am more interested in the pharmacological differences between "Oxy" and "Hydro". I think maybe it has something to do with the different acids used in the production of these medications.......I don't know. Also I know that "morphone" is morphine and "codone" is codein but that is all. There is a lot more to it I'me sure.

thesomoan
03-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Oxy has an oxy ketone which you can look up on google images, while hydro has the hydro ketone. They are named after the molecule which is substituted in this case an O vs. an H. Oxy's are stronger agonists because they are more electronegative and so more strongly bind to the receptor. Also, for reasons which I do not fully understand they have some stimulant properties. I believe that it has to do with the rate at which endorphins are released and then built up but I'm not fully sure. The reason hydro and oxy are both stronger than the parent compound. ie hydromorphone and oxymorphone vs. morphine is that they are more lipophilic which means that more of the drug passes through the membrane which allows entrance into the brain faster. They also have greater mu opiate agonism which contributes. As a very general rule of thumb it is those to factors which contribute to the rush and potency of an opiate. Oxy has greater mu agonism than hydro but is less lipophilic so it is more potent with less rush.
Also Morphine and Morphone are not completely the same thing morphone is structurally different because of the bonding process, and more active, the same is true for codone. Overall, oxy groups pharmacologically are IN GENERAl:
more potent by weight
have less of an initial euphoric "rush"
longer lasting
less sedating
more tolerance building
This makes them more advantageous as a pain medication, but it is up to you decide about their use as a recreational drug.