PDA

View Full Version : Foil Shoplifting

jimmyfingers
10-07-2010, 10:20 PM
I just scored a cool part time (very part time) job at an expensive clothing store. I basically got it for the 50% discount you get on the clothes.

During orientation we watched all these films on shoplifting, theft, shrinkage, etc.

One method I found interested was lining a shopping bag with alum foil will allow you to walk past the security towers without the alarm going off.

I do not shoplift or advocate stealing, but has anyone actually been successful with this method. I really cannot see how it could work.

More Feen
10-07-2010, 10:34 PM
I have no idea how those anti-theft towers work, but:

Sometimes the checkout person doesn't deactivate something I bought and it sets off alarms when I pass the towers. I show my receipt, and leave the store.

When I looked at the package, there is a little electronic dohicky in there, I think it is a PASSIVE (no battery) radio thing that when ARMED, receives a signal from the towers, and then relays a signal back to the towers setting off the alarms.

When the checkout person rubs the package over the deactivator, or DE-ARMER, it renders the dohicky inactive.

So, shoplifting something with an ARMED dohicky might require something to block the in-coming signals from the towers (radio waves probably). Aluminum foil wrapped around the item you intend to steal might act like a Faraday Cage, basically something that can block, or minimise electromagnetic radiation (radio signals) from penetrating the foil to the dohicky, and prevent signals from the dohicky to reach the towers.

I have no idea if foil would work for all, some, or none of the security devices stores use. Those large dohickies on cameras and other expensive items at Best Buy, are probably ACTIVE (have batteries) emmiters of radio signals--they usually have a flashing red LED on them--just to let you know.

I hope nobody tries this for stealing. But if you work at a place that has these, you can always mess around with them and see how it works.

BTW, for the Faraday Cage to work (IF it works) you would need to wrap all sides with foil. Even leaving the bottom open can allow radiowaves to bounce off of the floor, etc.......

Interesting.

M F

From Wiki's Faraday Cage Page:
Examples

The shield of a screened cable (http://forum.opiophile.org/wiki/Shielded_cable), such as the coaxial cable (http://forum.opiophile.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable) used for cable television, protects the internal conductors from electrical noise.
A booster bag (http://forum.opiophile.org/wiki/Booster_bag) (shopping bag lined with aluminum foil (http://forum.opiophile.org/wiki/Aluminum_foil)) acts as a Faraday cage. It is often used by shoplifters to steal RFID (http://forum.opiophile.org/wiki/RFID)-tagged items.[3] (http://forum.opiophile.org/#cite_note-2)
The cooking chamber of a microwave oven (http://forum.opiophile.org/wiki/Microwave_oven) is a Faraday cage, made to contain the RF signals of the cavity magnetron (http://forum.opiophile.org/wiki/Cavity_magnetron) which cooks the food. However, this will not always provide sufficient shielding to stop a cell phone signal.
Some linemen (http://forum.opiophile.org/wiki/Lineman_(occupation)) wear Faraday suits, which allows them to work on live, high voltage power lines without risk of electrocution. These suits have no theoretical voltage limits, as linemen have successfully worked even the highest voltage (Russian 1150Kv) lines safely.

chopstix
10-07-2010, 10:35 PM
I've heard of this and I know it works. I used to boost a lot, and at one point had considered crafting a bag lined with foil, but I was homeless at the time and was doing ok with my book hustle and soon after cleaned up for several years. Now days I don't steal (much).

It works, but these days if I was still boosting, I'd be VERY wary of cameras - they can put them anywhere these days. You could scan for X11 (common wireless video protocol) but still, they could be wired and most of the times I've been busted have been from cameras and it's pretty hard to contest the charge when they have you on tape, whether or not you made it through the magnet detector..

edit: I'd guess there are probably some RFID detectors out there as well, my guess is a "radio tight" foil seal would work on those as well, but as MF mentioned, it would *have* to be sealed, one little hole and the signal would likely escape...

Indy
10-07-2010, 10:45 PM
"Magic Bag"...look it up...for educational purposes only...hah. It's a simple faraday cage. They are tags that it won't work on, but they're expensive, and for most stores it's actually cheaper just to let people steal a few things than it is to put them on all the high-value items.

apE-othecary
10-07-2010, 11:00 PM
i heard of this years ago, but never tried it.

i quit shoplifting when i was 16, though, anyway. ugh.

Benz
10-08-2010, 05:18 AM
We used to have these heavy, normal appearance, paper type shopping bags with string handles for shoplifting. We all used to presume it was lead (high density, etc). Items in the bag DID get past the towers. Would have thought it would've been a little lighter if it were aluminium.

Benz

jimmyfingers
10-08-2010, 09:16 AM
I worked at 2 small retail name brand clothing stores during college. They had no cameras, just towers and we were not allowed to stop shoplifters. This place has the same philosophy. Basically someone can stuff a body bag full of leather jackets right in front of me and I can do is make a recovery statement like "We have some cool jeans to go with all those jackets" The statement cannot be accusatory in nature.

I worked in outlets about 1 hr outside of NYC and these hispanic groups worked in teams and would hit 1/4 of the store without anyone seeing it. They were extremely skilled. All we did was call a detective who would come out there 4 hours later and just take a report.

Kohls, Target, Macys, JCPennys, etc. all have loss prevention teams and they will catch you. They do not mess around. On top of a criminal charge, they store will fine you a civil monetary fee for damages. I believe they go for about 1/2 of the value of what you stole is.

You get popped on tape and you are done. Nothing you can do about it. These loss prevention guys really get off on catching thief. After about 16, judges do not take kindly to shoplifters since they are being affected by the crime personally. My mom sees people that get busted for mis. shoplifting(less than 300) get harsher penalties than felony drug cases everyday.

OpiXPO
10-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Those loss prevention guys make me laugh. I understand the whole need to stop the massive shoplifting that they aim for, but they do so with complete disregard to their own life, and others. The idea of chasing people down and fighting with them over some clothes is just rediculous to me. Stopping internal theft is one thing, but apprehending shoplifters is a completely different ball game.

And to note for everyone in Ohio, if you get caught stealing, then the value of everything is trippled, and then THAT is the amount that brought against you for criminal charges. So you steal 300.00 worth of stuff, then it will total 900.00 worth of stolen goods. 300 would originally be an M1 charge, but trippled to 900, that would make an F5 charge.

itchintofix
10-08-2010, 02:28 PM
I haven't shoplifted in 10 years but have known people to use this trick, never liked using a bag myself unless it was a briefcase and I was wearing a whistle and flute.

tui
10-09-2010, 06:27 AM
^
what do you mean by whistle + flute?

Indy
10-09-2010, 06:32 AM
^
what do you mean by whistle + flute?

Rhyming slang for suit.

God_Albino
10-09-2010, 07:04 AM
only stole cough products in my youth, always took them out of the box and fumbled my way out of stores... i think a lot of places just assumed i was retarded and let me get away with what would either have to be a bottle or two of syrup or a real weird shaped, obvious boner in my pants, slurring out questions about products i had no intention of buying/the weather/sports i didn't understand, because a REAL criminal would never make smalltalk with employees to avoid suspicion... shit.

Benz
10-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Actually, GodAlbino, friends of mine used to shoplift to support themselves & they ALWAYS asked a shop assistant to take them to the items they wanted & ask questions about sizes, colours etc. It was a winning system.

Benz

itchintofix
10-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Yeah thats a good tactic benz. I once went shoplifting in a wheelchair, the assistants don't even like to look at me if I asked them a question but instead replied and kept eye contact with the person that was pushing me around. pretty fucking sad.

poppy
10-09-2010, 03:16 PM
I've known lots of good shoplifters over the years, and have heard of the wheelchair thing before, like itchi says above its sad that our society sees a wheelchair and either wants to look away or at the very least communicate with the person pushing rather than the person in the wheelchair.

Anyway back to shoplifting!

I've known people just fill a shopping trolley with meat and alcohol, tampons,nappies etc rather than expensive electrical items (lots of them shoplift to order for the small cornershops and pubs) and just walk casually out of the shop looking for all the world like they've paid for their goods and have every right to be there. Apparently confidence is key, and poacher's pockets are always useful - go in looking like you weigh five stone wringing wet and come out as looking like a sumo wrestler.

In recent years I haven't had much to do with the lifters but I understand that its getting harder and harder, with more and more things alarmed razorblades, spirits etc
Where there's a will there's a way though.

sweetpain
10-09-2010, 04:18 PM
You're right, More Feen. When I worked at Walmart, they showed us this tape about shoplifting-DO NOT EVER do it at Walmart. They just came out with this new device that installs in the soles of work boots and the heels of expensive shoes.

When the clerk gets any shoe sales, they take the shoes out of the box and scans the sole/heel of each shoe and instead of hearing that beeping noise, there's this wierd, rumbling-like noise.

When I got arrested recently (see post, ha) and while I was in the holding cell, they brought in this young woman who had just gotten caught stealing $104 worth of stuff at Walmart.

jimmyfingers
10-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Outlet shoplifting has always been a big business. They are usually right off a interstate in a small town. A majority of the 'big name brand stores' do nothing to stop you. I could walk in Ralph Lauren with a shopping cart, cut of the sensors on leather jackets, and fill the cart up all while employees were watching me. It goes against company policy to stop shoplifters due to liability. They do not want an employee stopping a bad guy and getting punched in the face due to lawsuits. It is still hard to wrap my head around that you can do this and get away. Some outlet centers have a mini police office where an actual policeman sits their and waits for calls. So, somebody from Polo could call him and say suspect just got into a Red Ford truck and then the police would get you. Only 2 of the many outets I have worked and shopped at had the officer on premise though.

However, they will process you for internal theft. The company I work for has an anonymous hotline where you call and they reward you 500-1000 depending on the amount being stolen. They will prosecute you as well. Every clothing store I have worked at has had strict policies in place making it very very hard to even steal something small.

SweetPain, I agree with do not fuck with Wal Mart. They always have a cop car their arresting someone

tui
10-09-2010, 08:06 PM
I've known lots of good shoplifters over the years, and have heard of the wheelchair thing before, like itchi says above its sad that our society sees a wheelchair and either wants to look away or at the very least communicate with the person pushing rather than the person in the wheelchair.

Anyway back to shoplifting!

I've known people just fill a shopping trolley with meat and alcohol, tampons,nappies etc rather than expensive electrical items (lots of them shoplift to order for the small cornershops and pubs) and just walk casually out of the shop looking for all the world like they've paid for their goods and have every right to be there. Apparently confidence is key, and poacher's pockets are always useful - go in looking like you weigh five stone wringing wet and come out as looking like a sumo wrestler.

In recent years I haven't had much to do with the lifters but I understand that its getting harder and harder, with more and more things alarmed razorblades, spirits etc

Here meat is a big one, you can swap meat with dealers, so guys will come out of the supermarket with $200 worth of meat stuffed in their trousers and jackets, blood running down the insides of their legs.

itchintofix
10-10-2010, 01:21 AM

I remember once queuing for ages and intending to pay but got pissed off so just pushed the trolley out the door, doing that one it was always good to buy some ciggys so any security near the door see you with the trolley and paying for cigs and just assume you paid for the lot!

One time I walked into the new somerfields in our town and the security guard was an old cell mate! We rinsed the hell out of the vodka/whisky/razor blades/coffee/meat, it was all good until a screw was doing his shopping and spotted him.

Restharrow
10-11-2010, 12:16 PM
I bought a pair of shoes and they never canceled whatever was in the shoe that set off alarms. Every time I walked out of a store, the alarm went off and they grabbed the nearest African American male to the door.

If a guy looked pretty cool, I would warn him i was going to set the alarm off and if he was cool he got the heck out of the door way.

This was 10 years ago and I was still im my Prime 6'4" tall and weighed 190 with a 31 inch waist. I just ignored whatever teenager was trying to stop me.

Finally at a Kmart, (where I bought the shoes) I walked out and 3 off duty police officers grabbed me, handcuffed me. They tried to shut off the signal from the shoes and could not, so they let me go and I threw the shoes away. I was lucky I had my pills in the pill bottle with my name on it as they asked a lot of questions about it. I think this was 2001 and they did not know what Oxycontin was.

Import
10-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Yeah, a few years back I getting heavy into booze and stole thousands of dollars worth (they made me calculate it in rehab) of boxes of wine from the grocery store over about a year. I would just grab a couple and walk out the door like I bought em, and very rarely had any problems (twice).

Indy
10-11-2010, 06:07 PM
No offense but I think at that point I'd invest in some 20 gallon buckets and just make my own, no?

danny
10-11-2010, 11:11 PM
I remember once queuing for ages and intending to pay but got pissed off so just pushed the trolley out the door, doing that one it was always good to buy some ciggys so any security near the door see you with the trolley and paying for cigs and just assume you paid for the lot!

One time I walked into the new somerfields in our town and the security guard was an old cell mate! We rinsed the hell out of the vodka/whisky/razor blades/coffee/meat, it was all good until a screw was doing his shopping and spotted him.

+1

well plus more than one now i come to think of it....

as for the o/p the foil bag has been making the rounds for yearrrrs now, handy bit of kit but a fucker to explain away should you be unlucky enough to get pinched with one

Indy
10-12-2010, 12:02 AM
I walked out with a box of superpretzels once when i waited for like 15 minutes in a really small grocery store and nobody came to the cash register. I consider it restitution for all the change their soda machines have stolen from me over the years, lol.

Thanat0s
10-12-2010, 08:14 AM
I walked out with a box of superpretzels once when i waited for like 15 minutes in a really small grocery store and nobody came to the cash register. I consider it restitution for all the change their soda machines have stolen from me over the years, lol.
dude, you are hardCORE.

Indy
10-12-2010, 11:27 AM
dude, you are hardCORE.

THUG LIFE

Restharrow
10-12-2010, 12:42 PM
THUG LIFE

Maybe we will hear a song about your adventures one day.

Indy
10-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Maybe we will hear a song about your adventures one day.

I obviously would have just stabbed anyone trying to stop me from taking the pretzels. The trick is to run deep with your homeboys.

dizzle
04-01-2011, 10:44 AM
man I've gotten popped so many times for boosting, I have retired now though. The worst part is I probably only got popped 5% of the time. Its a BIG business here in Chicago, boost from the stores and sell to the arab stores at half price. I got by on a $50 a day habit for a few months like this. Everything from picking up receipts in the parking lot and doing "the whooptie whoop" as the homeboys call it out here. (steal/return for cash) To return for credit and selling the store credit, arab stores "shopping list" sometimes the dope dealers would give a shopping list too. Its bad out here if you get popped though, anything over $150 is a class 4 Felony and first violation is a year probation next is pretty much automatic 1-3 years in the joint.

But no going down state for me, no sir, I always caught misdemeanors and was in the county for a month or so. THank doG, my last one was EXACTLY $149.99!!! and they couldn't mark it up to a Felony even though they REALLY wanted to.

Actually, I know guys that literally go into Macy's, load up a duffel bag full of Armani jackets and shit and straight HAUL ASS out the door, anyone in their way they knock 'em over, or they'd be running out with a knife. Fuckin guys like that give all junkies a bad name

upstate_007
04-01-2011, 11:20 AM
^^

Saw something like that once. I was in a music store in NYC looking at CDs. Thinking of boosting some myself. Hear a commotion. Two big guys with bags full of merchandise are rushing out the store. One guy cocks back and knocks the security guard by the door out cold. I was amazed at how brazen they were.