PDA

View Full Version : (How-to) Properly prepare Black Tar Heroin for IM injection

flacky
09-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Of course, before I begin, I should note that IM injection of BTH is not at all ideal. It is in no way safer than other ROAs. I am simply making this post because it has been my recent ROA of choice, and there appears to be little guidance out there about how to do this safely. You will see that the process is not as simple as IV prep. (You will see that this especially rings true in step 8.)

Anything that is optional is italicized and the main points are underlined. Important terms and ideas are in bold. Step numbers that are in bold are bolded because they are absolutely crucial. You should not skip any steps or deviate from the procedure, but if you do in any way shape or form then don't deviate from the steps whose numbers are in bold. They are a bare minimum standard for safety.

It is extremely recommended that you do not ignore the italicized and non-underlined portions and read them with the same concern that you do the rest of the thread. I have only underlined and non-italicized the "general idea" portions so that they can serve as an "outline" for someone who is repeating the procedure after having done it carefully one or two times so that they can just read the small terms to refresh their memory.

When the term "units" is used, I am referring to U-100 insulin units. 100 units = 1 mL = 1 cc.

Materials:

One or two 100 unit, 1/2" insulin syringes. (50 units may be acceptable, but 30 units is definitely not. More than 100 units is fine too. 1/2" is a minimum figure. Ideally, IM injections are done with 1-1/2" syringes, but I personally don't have access to them and have had no problem with 1/2" insulin syringes)
Spoon or cooker
Clean water
Rubbing alcohol, alcohol swabs, or both
Cotton pads to apply alcohol (strongly suggested if you can't get alcohol swabs. Really, you should have both because swabs are easier to use to sanitize skin, and cotton pads soaked in alcohol are easier to use to sanitize and dry the spoon or cooker)
Q-tip or micron filter
Hand sanitizer or soap
Toothpick
Something to cut off pieces of tar. (Be careful to not use any metal that has rusted. I have had the typical "druggie" straight razors rust over because of tar residue)
A place to discard waste water (I personally just use the floor seeing how only a few ccs of water are discarded and my carpet is dark)
A clean, sanitary surface that things like q-tips can be put on

Procedure:
0. Clean the spoon or cooker with alcohol. This is step 0 because you shouldn't even think about starting without doing this. You should also use hand sanitizer or soap and hot water to clean your hands if possible.
1. Place the tar in the spoon or cooker and mix it with water. I use 20-40 units depending on how much I'm using, but I get very clean tar and my tolerance isn't as large as many other people.
2. Apply heat to the tar just until you see it begin to melt in the water. Do not boil.
3. Stir the tar using the back of the syringe plunger or a toothpick to and break it into smaller pieces. This should result in tens of little pieces of tar floating in the water. Using a toothpick is obviously less sanitary, but I prefer it because it doesn't collect tar like the back of the plunger does and I feel as though it handles better.
4. Apply heat again until you see the pieces become smaller. Once again, do not boil.
5. Stir the tar again.
6. Apply heat slowly. You should first see the pieces shrink completely leaving grit at the bottom of the spoon or cooker and then bring the solution to a boil.

7. Filter the solution
7a. Rip off a piece of a q-tip, wet it, and roll it into a tight ball. Drop the ball into the solution and slowly draw it up, placing the bevel of the syringe on top of the cotton ball and not allowing it to draw up the raw solution.
7b. If you have access to micron filters, prepare the micron filter by drawing water through it and discarding the water. Then draw the solution up through the micron filter. I personally don't have access to them, so I am not completely familiar with their use.

8. Draw up 5-20 units of fresh water after filtering the solution. This step is crucial. Whether this happens instantly or over time, you will see several small particles come out of the solution and collect in the syringe barrel. The addition of fresh, cold/room-temperature water decreases the temperature of the solution, forcing the insoluble particles out (this effect can be explained both by the relationship between temperature and the effect of throwing fresh water on an emulsion).
9. Let the syringe sit for a little bit regardless of whether or not the particles come out instantly.

Optional:
If you want something to do to occupy yourself while the heroin sits, or you want to conserve the leftovers from boiling which you should see on the spoon or cooker as a layer of brown resin, use a separate syringe to add water to the spoon or cooker. Using your plunger or toothpick, scrape the ends of the spoon and slowly heat the water until it boils. Then using the same filter from step 7, draw up the solution. You can now squirt this solution up your nose to not waste anything in the spoon. DO NOT, however, use this solution for IM injection. Anything that was left in the spoon or cooker is most likely not water soluble and should not be going into your muscle.

10. Clean the spoon or cooker with alcohol.
11. Discard the filter used in step 7.
12. Empty the contents of the syringe into the spoon. You should see a murky suspension.
13. Clean the syringe, emptying the contents anywhere but the spoon or cooker. (This is stuff you don't want in your body!)
13a. (3x) Draw up 20 units of water and move the plunger up and down the full length that was used earlier in order to catch any particles.
13b. (3x) In order to ensure that there are no particles caught in the needle of the syringe, draw up 50-100 units and apply strong force while emptying the syringe. The goal is to not have even one single undissolved particle in the syringe.
14. Filter the solution again just as you did in step 7.
15. Look in your syringe. You should see a translucent, completely particle-free, iced tea-colored solution.
15a. If the solution doesn't look like it's supposed to, repeat the process again from step 8 (skipping the optional step) until the solution looks like this. By "what it's supposed to," I mean exactly as described in step 14. Completely clear.

16. Swab the injection site with rubbing alcohol and sanitize your hands again with rubbing alcohol or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. If you used soap in step 0, then clean your fingers with, then use alcohol instead of soaping and washing your hands. The alcohol will work better.
17. Enter the injection site. I personally use my upper arms. The further up the better. Wherever you enter, enter completely perpendicular to the site (90 degree angle).
18. Inject 10 units of the solution to get a feel for it (but still keep the needle in). If you feel a strong burn or pain, then the solution is not clean enough and you must filter it more. A small amount of pain is normal. You will definitely know if it's hurting too much. It is also a good idea to not inject into the site that you just felt pain it.
19. Remove the needle slowly. Have an alcohol pad ready for if a few drops of blood drip out (which is not extremely common, but definitely not abnormal.
20. Pay attention to your body. If you begin to feel a worsening pain, don't worry too much. If the pain subsides within an hour, you should be fine. If it doesn't (or you begin to see a change in skin color or other signs that something is clearly wrong), then you have cause to worry.

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

I plan on cross-posting this in the HR subforum for better exposure if vBulletin will let me. This is very much a HR topic and very much heroin-specific, so it will get best exposure if present in both places.

ohpee
10-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Thanks for this. All I ever shoot is east coast powder, and I'll be visiting the west coast here in a month or so. I was worried a bit about cookin tar for the first time, but it's not much more than I expected, so good.

odd
10-02-2010, 07:46 PM
You should note also that not all BTH is the same. I have cooked some that left absolutely no particles in the cooker and some that left a ton of crap that I could not cook down for the life of me.

Another thing to consider is adding baking soda to the (next) to final solution. I got that tip from here and it makes IM of tar much better. Less citric burn and it cleans out more of the cut.

Other than that, good write up.

allover
10-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Really stupid question, if one is going to make the jump to the needle, why not just IV it for the better rush??

sfgiant
10-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Really stupid question, if one is going to make the jump to the needle, why not just IV it for the better rush??
I think this is more for the people who have a hard time actually registering in a vein let alone get an entire shot in...thank you black tar

More Feen
10-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Hey Flacky,

Have you ever tried cleaning BTH using a base, extraction, re-acidify technique?

I know this works to make ~purish smack from powder, just don't know if it would work with BTH.

Tempted to check out the Hispanic District and try cleaning BTH myself.

M F

mainline
10-04-2010, 08:09 PM

Yeah, Most who choose to IM do it cause they can't IV with ease anymore. And some people just like IM.

chopstix
10-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Sorry, but the logic behind this is akin to the logic of something being clear as being "clean" or pure - bullshit, many harmful impurities are not visible to the eye - just cos you can't see particulate doesn't mean it's not there, or that what is there is safe.

As I said in the other, identical, cross posted thread: there is some good information here but it's far from conclusive, ie. half inch rigs are entirely inappropriate for IM use, especially if you carry any real body fat.

Sorry, but this is far too thin to take seriously. If you want to IM your dope, especially tar, there's quite a bit more to know - this is amateurish and risky HR at best.. Using street drugs IM is always risky, and really should be preceded with a shitton of caution and a lot of education, and even then it's still risky..

A complete write up would address and emphasize the risks, as well as purification techniques, early abscess detection and treatments..

flacky
10-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Hey Flacky,

Have you ever tried cleaning BTH using a base, extraction, re-acidify technique?

I know this works to make ~purish smack from powder, just don't know if it would work with BTH.

Tempted to check out the Hispanic District and try cleaning BTH myself.

M F

Never had time or money to risk on that line....

Sorry, but the logic behind this is akin to the logic of something being clear as being "clean" or pure - bullshit, many harmful impurities are not visible to the eye - just cos you can't see particulate doesn't mean it's not there, or that what is there is safe.

As I said in the other, identical, cross posted thread: there is some good information here but it's far from conclusive, ie. half inch rigs are entirely inappropriate for IM use, especially if you carry any real body fat.

Sorry, but this is far too thin to take seriously. If you want to IM your dope, especially tar, there's quite a bit more to know - this is amateurish and risky HR at best.. Using street drugs IM is always risky, and really should be preceded with a shitton of caution and a lot of education, and even then it's still risky..

A complete write up would address and emphasize the risks, as well as purification techniques, early abscess detection and treatments..

It's inherently safer to IM a clear solution than one with visible floating particles. Let's use common sense now. I never said that IM was safe, just this is how to make it less dangerous.

Also, if you read the thread, you'd see I recommend 1-1/2" needles. I just said that I personally don't use them.

irish
10-06-2010, 05:11 PM
I think the micron filter should get rid of any invisible particles. Now you just need to adjust ph, and get longer needles.

LiquidCourage
10-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the write up. I've had to IM a lot lately because the BTH has really affected my veins over the past 5-6 months of use. Every time that I do it IM I always get a bit of a burning sensation when it's going in though. Maybe I'm not prepping it correctly?

duck
10-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Why is IM so much more dangerous than IV?

chopstix
10-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Let's use common sense now. I never said that IM was safe, just this is how to make it less dangerous.

Heh, umm.. ya, ok - I'm down with that... Thanks for the laugh.
It's inherently safer to IM a clear solution than one with visible floating particles.

You misunderstood me, your statement is entirely common sense - we're not stupid.. I was talking about color, not particulate; you should know that without any chemistry, the dope doesn't change color no matter how much you filter it (a micron filter may lighten a little, but I use HUGE cottons pressed tight against a pointless 3ml, and the solution doesn't lighten). It's safer to shoot coffee than it is a nice clear arsenic solution - clear is never an indicator of safety, particulate can and probably does exist whether or not you can see it and that was my point.

You later go on to write: "Inject 10 units of the solution to get a feel for it (but still keep the needle in). If you feel a strong burn or pain, then the solution is not clean enough and you must filter it more."

Umm, that's entirely BS - the low PH causes the burn, it has nothing to do with particulate, especially with those little insulin points, any really appreciable particulate would clog the rig.
Also, if you read the thread, you'd see I recommend 1-1/2" needles. I just said that I personally don't use them.

You did say that and I missed it, but I do think it should be emphasized - with a .5" point, you're barely hitting the edge of the muscle and a lot of people would be skin popping with a rig that short - if muscling regularly, there are very good reasons to use 1-1.5" points.

Any HR is better than no HR and I ain't trying to bust your balls, I just don't think this is quite as comprehensive as you think it is (is there really a need for 4 steps on how to cook tar? geezus, just cook it til it freakin' dissolves :rolleyes: ) - there's just a lot up there that is of little matter if not flat non-sense, and a whole lot that hasn't been mentioned about IM use. I've been using IM for years, and honestly I'd rather see a write up from a medical professional on this subject, it's a dangerous practice. Some people seem prone to abscess, and deep abscesses are NO joke.

Things you might want to consider adding (or doing as an IM user): adjusting PH towards neutral without freebasing your dope (and before you filter it); checking for a register before injecting, we're muscling, not IV/IA; not moving the muscle as you inject; injecting fairly slowly, especially when using more than a ml; I personally think that it's probably key to massage the area well immediately after injection to eliminate pooling, and also as long as the area is sore, seems like this could help reduce the risk of abscess by improving blood flow - I also try and use the muscle frequently over the next few days; using quite a bit of water, I don't think 1ml (let alone 20-40 units) is very much, you don't wanna make soup out of it, but a good saturation will mitigate the acidity and probably make it a little easier on the muscle; as previously stated, I REALLY prefer 3ml barrels with removable points, because you can add a big ass, tightly rolled cotton and get a good seal, making a really good filter (very few people use micron filters, to me they're just too expensive and I wouldn't want them found in the apt); Early abscess detection and care, most people let them go and that's really fucking dangerous - I've seen some nasty, nasty holes from abscesses, you don't have to admit to IV/M use, say you don't know what it's from, say it started as a little red bump like a zit.. That's just off the top of my head and I'm not a professional, I'm sure there's more..

I'd do my garlic and alcohol spiel, but I'm not sure anyone is buying it so I'll just keep that one to myself - I'm sure the search engine could find one of the 500 times I've posted it..

Lastly, cross-posting is heavily frowned on Internet wide, it's unnecessary and a waste of database resources, please don't do that no matter how important you think your write up is..

GOLD N DIEMONDS
10-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Why is IM so much more dangerous than IV?

IV /IM
-it all has to go with how it going DIRECTLY INTO the blood system-IV
or
IM_dope /drugs/bacteria, etc -just sitting in a 'pocket' of muscle tissue
IM allows the injection to slow enter the blood system via muscle tissues blood system.

IV everything goes directly to the blood and brain- the body has a defensive system in place for thatin place.

I'M- many undesirables may be left in that 'pocket' in the muscle. Though much( good stuf) still is absorb into the blood to brain. The Body has a different defensive system must come into play with IM

a does that make any sense,?
:confused:

PS- CHOPS IS SO RIGHT- 1" SPIKE IS THEE SHORTEST YOU EVERY WANT TO IM WITH.
1.5" 25g SPIKE IS BEST OF CHOICE -in the butt-
all depends-
----example IM 'roids needs 20g 1.5" spike--
(.5 "????- fts, that not IM)
?
?
?

chopstix
10-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Oh yeah, GND reminded me: NEVER EVER muscle blood - that's begging for an abscess, and never shoot below mid thigh due to low blood flow - I use my gluts almost exclusively, they're a nice big muscle (for everyone) and they get a lot of blood flow, with glut shots I'm usually starting to smile within 10 minutes..

port rhombus
10-06-2010, 09:37 PM
And some people just like IM.

+1

For me, IV is wasteful and kinda boring. An amazing rush isn't worth me feeling more or less back to baseline after ~15 minutes. I use opioids for pain relief as much as anything, so I find IM's longer legs to more than compensate for the lack of a rush.

I prefer 3cc Luer lock syringes with 23-25G 1.5" points, aka "lawn darts". 20mm points are fine, but anything shorter is too risky for me. I used to use 1/2" and 5/8" SC insulin pins to hit my quads, but I had the sense to stop before I did any real damage. Just say no to leg shots.

China white
10-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Of course, before I begin, I should note that IM injection of BTH is not at all ideal.

Not ideal, id say its outright detramental. But since in some places thats all thats available......its too bad that this thread is very important and needs to be talked about......none the less it is and we are.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

[QUOTE=port rhombus;539563]+1

For me, IV is wasteful and kinda boring. An amazing rush isn't worth me feeling more or less back to baseline after ~15 minutes. I use opioids for pain relief as much as anything, so I find IM's longer legs to more than compensate for the lack of a rush.

I prefer 3cc Luer lock syringes with 23-25G 1.5" points, aka "lawn darts". 20mm points are fine, but anything shorter is too risky for me. I used to use 1/2" and 5/8" SC insulin pins to hit my quads, but I had the sense to stop before I did any real damage. Just say no to leg shots.
are you on done or something???? and id never heard of 1.5" length outside a hospital setting...are they BD? the orange kind that come in 10 packs...or they must be the removable type with blue trim and cap?

chopstix
10-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Not orange, I can't remember the manufacturer atm, but they're generally available at most needle exchanges.. I get them with the 3ml barrels, which is also more appropriate for IM shots for peeps with a tolerance. It's not unusual for me to muscle a gram here in central CA..

Ya 1.5" is long, but when muscling you want to get it deep (better blood flow), and 1.5" into a big muscle isn't really that much..

And I agree about the slower onset and longer duration, really not a bad thing, though I can't really advise IM as it pretty much guarantees dealing with at least the beginnings of abscess at some point, but the truth is *most* tar really isn't THAT bad, especially if you filter or take any clean-up steps, a lot of it leaves literally nothing in the cooker and I've had very few problems doing it, though again I can't say it's really recommended..

Really, the safer option is plugging, but everyone knows you'll be buying rounds at The Blue Oyster after THAT kind of deranged behavior.. DF can tell you all about that option if ya really wanna know..

The Ryan
12-19-2010, 12:21 PM
bump for harm reduction

and a question, do pharmacies even carry 1" tips? i really would like to come accross some 1" 3ml syringes.

jill
12-19-2010, 12:45 PM
bump for harm reduction

and a question, do pharmacies even carry 1" tips? i really would like to come accross some 1" 3ml syringes.

Yes, pharmacies should all carry a 3ml syringe with 25G 1.5" needle. You can buy 1" 25G needles separately. Most pharmacies stock BD from my experience (i.e. at least the major chains that I have worked in or dealt with).
If a pharmacy didn't have this in stock at the time (& I am not sure why they wouldn't as many people give IM B12 injections at home, with this set up), they could easily order it for you.

Most major chains have a wide array of what is available in stock, you just need to be specific in what you ask for and they can usually accommodate.

HTH,