PDA

View Full Version : Heroin in Russia

Bugsy
08-10-2010, 03:04 PM
I was born and raised in St.Petersburg,Russia. In 1991 right after fall of Soviet Union economic situation there start getting worse and worse, we are talking of rampant unemployment, inflation of 300% a month!!! and mafia that controlled anything. I was only 20 and decided to leave before it gotten any worse (and it did) so in June I landed in New York with $50, no english language skills beyond a few dozen words and lots of dreams.
Needless to say I am still here.

While growing up in communist Russia we did not officially had a problem with drugs of drug addiction just like we didn't have prostitution or unemployment. It was partially true, drugs and addict were members of deep underworld of only a few had knowledge and even less were actual members.

Considering that I lived far north west (only 200 km to Finland) there was little or no cultivation of anything like weed or poppy. I first smoked marijuana at age 14 (1985) and I don't think I ever hear about it before I actually smoked it. Traders from Central Asia who brought fruit to St.Petersburg markets to sell also brought low quality weed that grew wild there in the ravines. It was rather cheap, you could buy a "matchbox" the actual empty box from matches filled with it for about 50 cents US. Sometimes it would be wrapped in a newspaper.

It was possible to get a bit better quality stuff it you have connections but never anything like bud, always loose leaf. Buying a "glass" (actual 250 ml cylindrical drinking glass) for 3-4 dollars was possible too. Law enforcement was almost non existent and did not have drug teams or anything like that.

I NEVER heard of cocaine,heroin or meth. I read about LSD once in a book.:) There was talks about some kids who were going to southern Ukraine to collect opium from poppy that grew there wildly and then making "chernoye" (black) basically acetylating opium with AA. Those kids were almost like members of secret society.

In about 1986 a kid I knew from the hood asked me if I had any Solutane a stuffy nose spray that contained 10% ephedrine and the rest was water and alcohol. He was willing to buy it from me for 25 roubles which was quite bit of money back then (think like 2-3 dollars). I remembered that my grandma had some went and got it for him, he then invited me to come with him to a cellar of near housing development where they "cooked" it he said, so i can try some product. I was very terrified of such things and respectfully declined.

Only years later i found out that they were making Methcathinone by combining ephedrine extracted from that stuffy nose spray with potassium permanganate (that was sold in every drug store for 15 cents for 2 grams). It was a very simple chemical reaction that required almost no or little skills. Methcathinone is mild stimulant related to amphetamine and produces similar effects, they would "cook" a few grams of it and then injected 5-10 cc dose per person. It was easy and very cheap to make. The drug was called "Jeff".
Later better chemists improved their skills and start making real stuff from ephedrine...methamphetamine,
it however required much more advanced skills and chemicals. Meth in Russia was called "Vint" (Screw)

I never hear about anyone who sold anything stronger that weed, term drug dealer did not exist. And even weed could be bought if you knew people who knew people with shroud of secrecy.

Also we tried to get high on variety of benzos that were surprisingly available back then without the presciption (and still are!). We would go to the drug store and but a blister pack of 12 tablets of Temazepam (about 25 cents then, and maybe 2-3 dollars now) and take 2-3, wait an hour and take a few more.

However you do get bored pretty fast with zombie-like state of benzo intoxication that it didn't last long. Then there was experiments with stuff like glue and gasoline that fail to attract me after even on attempt. Somehow we lacked education that freely available were things like Tetralgin and Sedalgin which are combos of aspirin,phenobarbital and codeine (10mg) but maybe it was for our good.

That was a short list of my drug experiences in my teenage years growing up in Communist Russia. I must say that this was pretty much the same story in most parts or Russia. Different were only southern parts and central asia where cannabis and poppies grew freely because of more permitting climate. Out there you could find things like hash, opium, prepared for injection acetylated opium solution. You still had to be in right circles and know right people. Law enforcement also paid much more attention to drugs and drug users in those areas.

Next I will tell you how situation is changed since early nineties when Russia became awash in drugs (especially heroin) but thank God I was "safely" in NY tasting vices of corrupt capitalist society of United States where i discovered things like cocaine, LSD, MDMA, heroin etc. etc. etc.

hd69
08-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the enlightning post, Bugsy.
It's always interesting to hear of drug use in other cultures, Russia is in dark days now I hear.
Are you here to stay for good?
I hope you enjoy the pleasures and evils of the U.S. , must be quite a change for you.:)

harmonik
08-10-2010, 03:55 PM
amazing! I love hearing about stuff like this.

i hear Russia has a huge heroin/HIV epidemic at the moment...

can't wait for you to post the rest.

Bugsy
08-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Heroin is easily available in Russia. It can be found in every major city or even little town or village. 100% of Russian heroin comes from Tajikistan a former republic of USSR now an independent state. Tajikistan shares long border with Afghanistan.
From there Tajik heroin finds it way north. It gets smuggled by trucks,cars,trains and planes. Many ethnic Tajiks live and work in Russia and they are major dealer of Afghan heroin there.

You can a kilo of 75 to 90% pure Afghan #4 in Dushanbe (capital of Tajikistan) for 2000-2500 US dollars. That's it!

First heroin hits parts of Russia closest to Tajikistan, that is where heroin is in relative abundance and better quality. Ural and Southern Ural cities get hit first with transit of Tajik heroin. Ekatirenburg,Chelyabinsk,Samara,Perm have huge problem with heroin addiction. You will see strung out people everywhere. Usually Tajiks deal on wholesale levels and give retail amounts to dealers who are Gipsy (huge heroin trafficers in Ural region and Russia in general), Russian or their fellow Tajik who are poor (and many of them are, come to work in Russia in construction).

When heroin first appeared in Russia it was sold in "fitulya" (little wrap) usually cigarette foil. There was small wraps and bigger wraps. Prices were 50 roubles ($1.70) for small and 100 ($3) for a big one, small was about 50-80mg and large was 100-120mg. Quality was pretty good and one 100 roubles wrap was enough for one hit.

Now wraps are gone...you can still find then sometimes in the big cities like Moscow and St.Petersburg, especially in places like clubs,bars or concerts where carrying gram wraps is dangerous. Without wraps it is all WEIGHT. Yes...this is how it sold. Gram, half gram, quarter gram. Quarter gram can be rare at times. So it leaves grams and half grams ("half" in the slang) All over Russia price of gram of heroin is the same, like some mystical monopoly. It is 1000 roubles a gram

($30). Thirty dollars a gram, of course if you buy only ONE, from average, regular dealer.
Half gram of course is $15. Sometimes there are quarters for $7.50 but like i said it can be rare.

Surely if you will but more you can expect a discount, pretty significant discount. Like 5 grams will be only 700 roubles a gram ($21) and if need 100 grams then it will even 400 roubles a gram ($12) and anything in between. But average, price of one singe gram of heroin is always $30.

Now about purity. Purity varies greatly. Geography, ethnicity of dealer, situation with law enforcement in the region, availability list of just a few factors on which purity depends.
Regions that closer to Tajikistan, Russia-Kazakhstan border, major highway between then usually have much better purity than lets say Moscow or St.Petersburg. You can also negotiate much better price for multigram purchase in those areas.

On average purity is 15 to 20%. Which is sucks. It is pretty low. There are plenty of users who do a gram or two a day. It can even get worse in Moscow and St.Petersburg.
However if you make a right connection with Tajik (which is not hard) and buy regularly you can easily get much better quality and even pure uncut stuff straight from the truck!
My friend used to get killer stuff from the bag with afghani brand stamps on it, measured to him by tea spoon, for 2500 roubles a gram ($75) and it was pure, uncut #4, that he could get as much as he wanted.

Usually it is not hard to get from a few grams to kilos connection in Russia if you have financial means and desire to buy quality stuff.

http://static2.aif.ru/public/news/849/47da7fa785a8289e71a3de9c879f0de9_big.jpg
typical gram of heroin Russia, packed in plastic and tied with on the top
http://asfera.info/img/spaw/big/01_2702.jpg

Bugsy
08-10-2010, 05:56 PM
There is new and very dangerous drug overtaking Russia. In the small towns where are no jobs heroin is expensive and out of reach youths are making "crocodile" or desomorphine. It is made from codeine containing tablets (Sedalgin,Tetralgin) that on average 10mg of codeine phosphate per tablet. They are cheap ($1.50-2 a pack of 12 pills) and easily available from any drug store.

The same chemical reaction that used to turn ephedrine into methamphetamine is used to turn codeine into desomorphine. It is red phosphorus, iodine and a few other minor reagents. It takes about two hours to complete the "cook" and the result light brown to reddish brown liquid. Apparently it is desomorphine. I am not chemist and not sure if that is what they end up with but popularity of this drug speaks for itself.

It is very powerful but short acting, produces extreme rush and strong desire to repeat use. But the biggest problem that it contain loads of VERY toxic byproducts phosphorus and iodine, plus changed and unchanged other ingredients that are in the tablets.
Those produce horrific effects. Basically only after a month of so of use it shuts down immune system and vital organs like liver and kidneys. You rot on the inside.

Drug stores sell so called "packages" that contain 2-3 blister packs of codeine pills, bottle of iodine and 3-4 5cc syringes, all for $5, everything enough for one dose of desomorphine.

horrific video about desomorhine use:

http://www.rian.ru/video/20100423/225860005.html

As for HIV and Hep C there is serious problem in Russia. One out of 3 injecting drug users are HIV+ and 90% (!!!) have Hep. C !!! It is unbelievable but true!

Chipper
08-10-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm watching that video, I don't understand a word of it but I urge others to watch it, too. Heavy!

It really makes you appreciate our life in the US/Australia/NZ/UK etc.

The horrific damage to the body is pretty hard to take but we need to know how other cultures cope with opiate/drug use even if we can't help.

Well, we can. The USA needs to change their stance on opiates and other drugs of addiction so we can start making improvements in access/control, education, equipement and general health.

Russia is such a brutally unpleasant place in which to to be a junkie. My heart goes out to those in the video.

Bugsy, you were so lucky to get out of there. So fucking lucky, indeed!

Bugsy
08-10-2010, 08:40 PM
A little bit about law enforcement,drugs and drug crimes. First and most importantly Russia has NO civil rights in normal western sense of it.
For example it is PERFECTLY fine for police to stop and search you for any reason or NO reason at all. You can be stopped and ask to show your arms for injection marks and then if there are any subjected to a search and/or horrible verbal abuse. Cops can easily plant drugs on you if they don't like you or what you said, they can plant it to extract the bribe later.

You can be searched for drugs because you just bought some syringes or distilled water in the drug store (perfectly legal) !!! Undercover cops hang out inside the drug stores wait for people to buy "suspicious" then search and/or verbally abuse you.
The good part that police in Russia is hopelessly corrupt. Average first year officer makes about $75 a week!!!

You can and should offer a bribe if you are in trouble (rarely but sometimes they would ask for it) because it will get more expensive once you reach the station and booked. It will get even more expensive down the line of russian criminal justice system. So do it as early as possible. While you still on the scene or in the car driven to the station.

If you caught with a small amount of drugs it is important to know that even small amounts of hard drugs can be classified by Russian Penal Law like "large" or "extremely large" quantities. Small amounts for personal use that do not invoke criminal charges (only administrative fine of $30-50) are REALLY small.

For example for heroin small amount for personal use is 100mg. "Large amount" is 0.5 gram and "Extremely large amount" is 2.5 gram. For marijuana small amount for personal use is 0.5 gram, "Large amount" is 6 gram and "Extremely large amount" is 100 grams. Cocaine is 100mg, 0.5 gram, 5 gram respectively. And stuff like meth 50mg, 300mg, 2.5 grams.
Now here are the penalties...get ready!

Illegal acquisition, storage, transportation, manufacturing, processing of narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances or their analogues "Large amount" (don't forget how tiny they are!) Fine up to $1200 or defendant three month salary or other monthly income OR Forced labor without imprisonment (you live in a settlement and report to police station once a week) up to 2 years or Imprisonment up to 3 years. IF "Extremely large amount" Imprisonment from 3 to 10 years and fine up to $15000 or 3 years of average salary or other monthly income.

The illegal production, SALE or shipment of narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances or their analogues

Small amount. Imprisonment from 4 to 8 years
Large amount. Imprisonment from 5 to 12 years (fine up to $15000 or 3 years of income)
Extremely large amount. Imprisonment from 8 to 20 years (fine up to $30000 or 5 years of income)

DON'T GET CAUGHT SELLING,SMUGGLE OR MANUFACTURING HARD DRUGS IN RUSSIA!!!
You can get minimum 8 years for sale of as little as 2.5 grams of heroin!!! No matter if it was cut to shit or if you are an american! :)

So for simple possession if it is just a small amount for personal use you'll get a fine, but if it is lets say a gram of dope and you're caught...well I believe that anything from two to five hundred dollars given to police will take care of it and everything will be forgotten like a bad dream. Anything less then couple hundred dollars is difficult to get out of this situation but you can try to blame poverty, sickness or death in family or something else (which for a foreigner is nearly impossible), also in a small cities bribes are much much smaller then in Moscow or St.Petersburg, you can pretend to be a local poor and offer $100 it just may work.

If it is "Extremely large amount"...lets say 5 grams of pretty good dope you just managed to score for 3000 roubles ($90) can cost you a LOT of dough. My friend had to pay $5000 and leave them his Mitsubishi Lancer (worth $25000) as a collateral, they give him 2 days to get the money or they would take the car.
Of course everything is heavily negotiable and depends on many factors, like what kind of clothes you wear or car you drive.

If you're caught with SALE,smuggling or manufacturing...it is the whole new ball game. Usually only large or especially extremely large amounts are involved.
You are facing anything from 5 to 20 years and in many cases MINIMUM of 8 years jail time!
People caught selling only 20-30 grams of heroin offer cars, $15000-20000 within hours and more within days.

Just recently wife of the guy caught selling 4 kilos came to the detective with a note "I have 500000 roubles ($15000) cash with me and Lexus RX350...I will get more within days, need to sell real estate, let me know what you need" , detective was honest and she got booked for bribery (rare deal, only because it was joint high profile Russian-UK joint operation)
So get ready to give up some cash if you caught selling, smuggling!

paups
08-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi Bugsy ;) Welcome to Opiophile..glad you finally made it through this time..I knew you would have some interesting stories to share here--
Do you go back to Russia often? Do you have user friends there still in contact with?
Ive had quite a few Russian and Ukrainian friends here in NYC over the years..and almost all of them were very enthusiastic about exploring the drug scene in one way or another here..One group in particular were heavily into the music scene and were in a prog rock band--we shared a practice space for awhile. They kept their psychedelic stash in a broken amp in the back of the space.. mescaline, LSD, weed for all..:rolleyes: One new years they showed up at my house with a vial of DMT.. we spent the night sitting in circle around a bed of sleepiing bags taking turn hits..

All of these guys were super talented, intelligent, and educated.. teachers and in the medical field at home.
Here they worked in record stores and played in bands and did shittons of drugs.. I think coming over here from the political/economical climate at the time (most arrived in early 90s) the option to explore the drug scene here was liberating...

Bugsy
08-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Yes...you're right. I never understood that, but being a junkie in Russia is horror. First they all look 10-20 years older. (I've been doing heroin for 15 years, I am 39 and they still check my ID every bar i go to, everyone says i look 23-24) They all do crazy mixed with benadryl,crazy cut,god knows what heroin that destroys ALL their veins in couple of years. Then they start to use huge needles and shoot to their necks and stuff. They notoriously resist to seek medical care if they get an abscess,infection or etc. because of stigma and low quality health care standards. They ALL have Hep.C and many have HIV...sharing needles I suspect...and/or unprotected sex in their circles.

Junkies in Russia stigmatized heavily, there are NO detoxes, no methadone (it is illegal like heroin!), very little rehabs or help, lots of police abuse, harassment, total absence of social services, education, very little harm reduction. Overall it is hell. Free government given housing, unemployment in small cities, cheap drugs it is all adds up to whole generation of junkies. Living towards nothing with nothing for nothing.

Of course there is a small amount of civilized junkies there, but majority is one horrific underworld like a crack houses inhabitants in the US...you don't want to go there, ever.

TrackStar
08-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Holy shit the people in that video are INSANE!!! DesoMorphine?? WTF?? I guess it must feel really good though if people are knowingly doing that to their body for the high...
Although, thats kind of interesting that they figured out a way to manufacture an injectable opiate at home from store bought items. Thats the junky-dream right there! If only there were a way to make it safe for injection...

Bugsy
08-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Do you go back to Russia often? Do you have user friends there still in contact with?
Ive had quite a few Russian and Ukrainian friends here in NYC over the years..and almost all of them were very enthusiastic about exploring the drug scene in one way or another here..One group in particular were heavily into the music scene and were in a prog rock band--we shared a practice space for awhile. They kept their psychedelic stash in a broken amp in the back of the space.. mescaline, LSD, weed for all..:rolleyes: One new years they showed up at my house with a vial of DMT.. we spent the night sitting in circle around a bed of sleepiing bags taking turn hits..

All of these guys were super talented, intelligent, and educated.. teachers and in the medical field at home.
Here they worked in record stores and played in bands and did shittons of drugs.. I think coming over here from the political/economical climate at the time (most arrived in early 90s) the option to explore the drug scene here was liberating...

Never did anything except weed, Temazepam or glue (well I was 13...please) when i was back in communist Russia.
Never went back...for what? I lived here half my life almost, Russia became strange,foreign place to me, i have no interest in it pretty much.
Never had any user friends in Russia, I wasn't a user myself there...all my drug use started here in NYC!:)

paups
08-10-2010, 09:13 PM
I understand why you wouldn't feel the need to go back.. a few of my friends have recently moved back..well to the Ukraine at least..
Ive always been fascinated with the culture and stories shared, but at the same time I always feel bad that I am not as informed as I should be politically, especially being somewhat close to a few people who have lived through so many aspects of life on both sides.
It feels like such another world sometimes and a bit overwhelming to try and understand completely.

I admire your strength at a young age to make the decision to do something different.. choose a different path.

Bugsy
08-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Holy shit the people in that video are INSANE!!! DesoMorphine?? WTF?? I guess it must feel really good though if people are knowingly doing that to their body for the high...
Although, thats kind of interesting that they figured out a way to manufacture an injectable opiate at home from store bought items. Thats the junky-dream right there! If only there were a way to make it safe for injection...

some people argue that actual amount of desomorphine as the end product in this reaction is very,very small. Only a few mg per ml, however because desomorphine is very potent (15 to 20 stronger than heroin) it is usually enough to produce desired effect.

It is very toxic byproducts of Phosphorus/Iodine reduction that they have to worry about (acetone,gasoline and other organic solvents are used too), as you can see on video it destroys people VERY quick! You rot on the inside and it comes out on outside...I don't want this kind of junkie "dream" even for free!!! It is living hell!!!

As for figuring out chemistry, codeine is metylmorphine...take off the metyl group and it becomes morphine, react it with strong oxidant/hydrogenating agent at the same time and viola you have a few molecules of dihydrodesoxymorphine formed (maybe) along with tons of phosphates, iodine, changed and unchanged phenobarbital,aspirin,acetone,hydrochloric acid,phenacetin,metamizole and many more!!! That will likely made you really sick within months or will surely kill you within 1-2 years.

More pictures of this great drug "mild" side effects:
http://igorgrom.livejournal.com/152054.html

tui
08-11-2010, 04:45 AM
wow wow wow

thanks bugsy

fizzled428
08-11-2010, 05:19 AM
DAMN !! and we thought we had it bad with the american "cuts", thanks bugsy for the vid of the russian view. They really have crazy legs! fuck.

Billy the kid
08-11-2010, 05:23 AM
Awesome thread man. It makes me realize how spoiled us junkies in the US really are.

Im aware that methadone is illegal but are there any other maint options. Buprenorphine, dihydrocodeine? anything?

The country sounds like a harm reductionist's nightmare!

Shadowsblaze
08-11-2010, 06:20 AM
Incredible story Bugs, I like that shortened nickname hope you don't mind. My next door neighbor is from Russia. She has been here for 20 yrs. great cook. Her mom was a high school principal in Moscow so I have had many conversations with her about the education system besides the country in general.

I saw on Democracy Now a war and peace report show that the climate has been very bad these last few months. Yesterday they were saying that it was 40 degree's celsius and they had 700+ deaths twice the normal amount. It has gotten so bad that the government has forbidden the export of wheat, and Russia is a major exporter of the grain. No climate problem there, right.

And the drought is so bad that the forest fires are the worst in history, again no climate problems there, my ass, somebody came up with Global warming as a joke I guess. I sincerely hope your family is ok they are so far away from you that I know it must hurt knowing the conditions there.

With the world falling apart as it seems to be there's little wonder why people turn to drugs to turn away from the pain. I'm happy you made it to this country though we are one on this earth and hand in hand we should be trying to resolve the tragedy's that are occuring more frequently (Haiti, Pakistan flooding now also in So America, and are own Gulf) but where will come the money. It seems for years all are two country's could find money for is the military.

Well I got carried away with dilemma's with no ready answers, started my day off with a :( an a :mad:, gonna try to put on a:) have a good day :rolleyes: yea right.

Uncle Wiggly
08-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Hi Bugsy, This is the most interesting thread I've had the pleasure to read in quite a while. I'm sending some rep your way for a job well done. Thank you very much.

Bugsy
08-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Awesome thread man. It makes me realize how spoiled us junkies in the US really are.

Im aware that methadone is illegal but are there any other maint options. Buprenorphine, dihydrocodeine? anything?

The country sounds like a harm reductionist's nightmare!

Georgia,Ukraine,Baltic States,Moldova do use bupe,methadone and other stuff.
Russia is very resistant however, russian health minister said that NO WAY that we will use ANY narcotic based drugs to treat drug addiction in Russia. This means NO methdone or buprenorphine.

Only options are pretty much cold turkey with maybe a little benzos at state psychiatric clinics for free. There is however a wait to get in from weeks to months sometimes and you will have to be around real crazy people for a month.
Also there are private rapid detoxes, everyone knows what they are, nalthrexone shot, implant, all of those are pricey from $2000 to $5000 and not very comfortable as you know so not very effective on the long run.

There are some "underground" addiction doctors that use buprenorphine and methadone smuggled from Georgia and Estonia but they still charge like a few grand to detox.

In Moscow and St.Petersburg you can also buy illicitly produced methadone in form of yellow shiny crystals
at cost of $200 a gram. Some people use it to detox. But mostly people just get high on it.:)

Well and as last resort there is codeine (10mg) at $1.50 for 12 tablets at any drug store, some people try Lyrica ($20) or some antidepressants, all of it is easily available without script.

So compare to US situation is bleak, very bleak...sad.

Bugsy
08-11-2010, 02:25 PM
I saw on Democracy Now a war and peace report show that the climate has been very bad these last few months. Yesterday they were saying that it was 40 degree's celsius and they had 700+ deaths twice the normal amount. It has gotten so bad that the government has forbidden the export of wheat, and Russia is a major exporter of the grain. No climate problem there, right.
And the drought is so bad that the forest fires are the worst in history, again no climate problems there, my ass, somebody came up with Global warming as a joke I guess. I sincerely hope your family is ok they are so far away from you that I know it must hurt knowing the conditions there.

My mom just told me on the phone how bad the shit is...people's houses are burning down, they end up with nothing in a matter of hours. And this is pretty poor agricultural area mostly, people live there on like $50 a month.
My family in St.Petersburg pretty far north.
As usual not a word about this on american media, like nothing happening.

Fat Pie
08-11-2010, 05:02 PM
I hear that the heroin problem in Russia is really bad right now, due in part to its proximity to the golden crescent (Afghanistan) and the golden triangle (SE Asia). It's apparently the biggest consumer of heroin in the world now:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7935527.stm

I've even seen videos (which I'm not going to post here, for the sake of decency) of children as young as ten shooting up (it wasn't fake, trust me; the footage was from a Russian news outlet).

I also hear that some rehab programs over there consist of nothing more than stuffing addicts into a quarantined room, handcuffing them to a bed and feeding them nothing but bread and water while they kick:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/08/europe_beating_heroin_in_russia/html/3.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/08/europe_beating_heroin_in_russia/html/4.stm

The government in Russia seems to be totally against methadone or buprenorphine for opiate addiction treatment, and even if you go to a doctor in full on w/d, the most you are likely to get is paracetamol:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/22/health/22meth.html

It seems that things haven't improved since the fall of the curtain. Well, maybe things are a little better. At least you can now get real heroin in Russia as opposed to kompot, or Polish heroin, which was basically a crude form of poppy tea used when everything else had been sucked dry (which was often during the Cold War, when the Soviet Union had almost complete control of its borders, to a certain extent). But things are still pretty fucked up.

Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to be on a bupe program with little to no strings attached in the first place.

Great thread Bugsy. I'm always curious to learn about how things were/are regarding drugs in other parts of the world.

danny
08-11-2010, 05:10 PM
I hear that the heroin problem in Russia is really bad right now, due in part to its proximity to the golden crescent (Afghanistan) and the golden triangle (SE Asia). It's apparently the biggest consumer of heroin in the world now:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7935527.stm

I've even seen videos (which I'm not going to post here, for the sake of decency) of children as young as ten shooting up (it wasn't fake, trust me; the footage was from a Russian news outlet).

I also hear that some rehab programs over there consist of nothing more than stuffing addicts into a quarantined room, handcuffing them to a bed and feeding them nothing but bread and water while they kick:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/08/europe_beating_heroin_in_russia/html/3.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/08/europe_beating_heroin_in_russia/html/4.stm

The government in Russia seems to be totally against methadone or buprenorphine for opiate addiction treatment, and even if you go to a doctor in full on w/d, the most you are likely to get is paracetamol:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/22/health/22meth.html

It seems that things haven't improved since the fall of the curtain. Well, maybe things are a little better. At least you can now get real heroin in Russia as opposed to kompot, or Polish heroin, which was basically a crude form of poppy tea used when everything else had been sucked dry (which was often during the Cold War, when the Soviet Union had almost complete control of its borders, to a certain extent). But things are still pretty fucked up.

Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to be on a bupe program with little to no strings attached in the first place.

Great thread Bugsy. I'm always curious to learn about how things were/are regarding drugs in other parts of the world.

not wanting to preach mate or derail a good thread but this is why clever articulate people like yourself need be heard OVER HERE so we dont go back to this sort of situation, because in a nut this is more or less what cameron is suggesting....no 'government sponsored' addicts, no meth maintenance no bupe maintenance and who knows whats next after the thin edge of the wedge?

anyway thanks for this thread bugsy definitely one of the most interesting ive read on here in a long while, i had an idea there was a lot of heroin abuse in russia and the old ussr but didnt know about the nuts and bolts

did you use to post on paupie de quincey jynxies stamp report site by any chance? either way welcome to the site, ill be looking out for your posts now....

Thanat0s
08-11-2010, 05:43 PM
did you use to post on paupie de quincey jynxies stamp report site by any chance? either way welcome to the site, ill be looking out for your posts now....

he is in fact the new 'main contributor!'

guy knows his dope and the scene here pretty well.
glad he got in this round of regs,

already an asset to the boards.

keep it coming Bugsy!!

Bugsy
08-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Come to a hospital in Russia in full opiate WD and you will get a tylenol and address of local psychiatric hospital that deal with addiction treatment which consist of benzos 3-4 times a day and maybe some sleeping pills.
Before couple of years ago if you're really suffering from serious WD doctors in the hospital Er would give you 50mg of Tramadol.
Now Tramadol is outlawed just like other opiates and requires serious script and will not be given to you if you are a drug addict. All because tramadol was readily available without script from any pharmacy for $3-4 for 12 50mg pills, so as you probably guess people start to abuse them like crazy. Now Tramadol is imossible to get almost everywhere.
Kompot or acetylated opium is still very popular where poppy grows wild. It is available mostly in southern parts of Russia and most of the Ukraine. As a matter of fact in Ukraine 95% of opiates abused is kompot, heroin is rare and very expensive there ($300 a gram)

Also in Russia they have really strange tendency to mix heroin (even good quality heroin) with all kinds of "enhancers". So instead of like most normal junkies do heroin+water...put it syringe and GO! they mix heroin with benadryl pills. Originally it came from kompot culture where they used benadryl (known there under brand name Demedrol) because it needed antihistamine because kompot contained a lots of codeine and acetylcodeine in it and if you IV them it will cause very unpleasant reaction that can be managed by benadryl.
Adding benadryl to heroin just helps sometimes to increase quality of shitty heroin.
But there were plenty of benadryl used as a cut in low quality heroin so you would end up with a lots of it in your system. It is bad for viens too.
Also it is very common to mix heroin with nasal drops Naphazoline...why? I have no idea! It said that it enhance heroin high in some way. I would say 99% of users mix heroin with Naphazoline that they buy for 75 cents for 50ml. It always puzzled me why do they need to go to such extremes? Even if it was decent quality heroin they would still mix it with out of everything...nasal drop. It is like mixing heroin with Afrin. Crazy...isn't it? Again it can't be good for your veins and general health.
Last craziness started two or three years ago. Suddenly people started to mix heroin with EYE drops called Tropicamide. They used to cause temporary intermittent mydriasis and cycloplegia. Some kind of paralysis in the eye...how it can help with how heroin works I have no clue, again users claim it makes high much better.
Again how good it is for viens...can't be good! And as for general health, eye drops that cause paralysis of the eye muscle IV??? Please!!! There was a couple reports that people suffered from temporary paralysis of arm and temporary blindness....so here it is!
Even worse!!! it some small Siberian towns where heroin is unavailable or expensive people actually started to shoot up pure Tropicamide!!! Don't even bother to mix it with heroin. Eye drops IV!!! On regular basis...well i have nothing to say. By the way Tropicamid is like 50 cents for 50ml. in any drug store.

That is the problem with Russian junkies, they like wild "enhancers" with their heroin...that are strange chemical that do God knows what to your health on the long run.
Also there is long tradition of "cooking" all kinds of drugs from readily available pharmaceuticals with addition of easily available chemicals. It started innocently with kompot which is basically opium collected from wild poppies and acetylated with AA. Then they started to control AA very strictly. People long made meth there with phosphorus/iodine reduction. They applied same reduction reaction process to readily available codeine and here we have....desomorphine or better known as "crocodile" called that because your skin will look like crocodile skin after only a couple of months of injections.

So Russians are pretty smart and resourceful people you have to give them credit for that, but they sometimes produce such horrific stuff that kills people by thousands and take it like it is milk and good for you. That I don't understand. What happen to just normal $30 a gram heroin (Ok maybe not that strong) and water???

Chipper
08-11-2010, 07:34 PM
After reading this thread and seeing the pictures, I'm tempted to think "surely that can't be real" and "why would they give up so much in the persuit of euphoria (or just to get well) ?"

I'm a bit disturbed after viewing the images of people apparently "rotting" from the inside out from a toxic cocktail. Where is common sense ? Is life that harsh and some have to escape it at any cost ?

This is the scariest thread yet, IMO. I am truly shocked.

*takes a deep breath*

More Feen
08-11-2010, 08:56 PM
^^

Surely those effects are worse than having methadone/buprenorphine available for treatment.

If Russia has universal healthcare (most countries do) then all those health problems must be costing Russian society much, much more than having some opiate treatment programs that would help prevent those horrible side effects.

Very informative,

M F

toker253
08-12-2010, 12:49 AM
WOW, that video was intense. That desomorphine looks like some nasty shit. Thanks for sharing.

harmonik
08-12-2010, 01:14 PM
benadryl can be found as a cut in dope in the US... if ya didnt know

actually, i did have a problem with absolutely loving shooting dope/morphine/h with benadryl. just 50mg, though. any more than that and i'd be out like a light, wake up in 6 hours and be pissed because i wasted a bag or two. this was when i couldn't catch a nod for shit unless i downed some benzos/dxm/whatever.. kind of like now :[

think i'll buy some benadryl :p

junkiebrewster
08-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Privyet, Bugsy.

I spent a semester in Petersburg studying the language and have been back since, so I realy enjoyed this. I was there after I quit using dope, so I had no real inclination to try and find it, but I did see plenty of junkies. However, the vodka and women were enough for me at the time, though I did score some hash at a bar one night.

You really should go back sometime if you can. Petersburg is a beautiful city for the most part and the people are great, though they can be very reserved towards foreigners, which seems to be a Russian thing.

Anyway, glad you're here. I always like hearing about Russia.

Paka.

I wish I still had a Cyrillic keyboard on this thing, but you'd probably laugh at my poor Russian grammar. :)

Count Zero
08-12-2010, 05:49 PM
That video was brutal. Got to give the Russian journalists a shout, the cameraman nearly jabbed his camera into the addict's rotting flesh at 10 min or so (so you can avoid it) and the pharmacist getting busted selling the kit -imagine buying everything you needed for meth in a drugstore. Although I didn't understand a word it looked like the sort of relevant, investigatve story you don't see that often in the US anymore, they're certainly not afraid of the gory details.
This shit looks even worse than meth, which is saying something or the people are totally fucking clueless and mixing the shit up and shooting up in a (literally) garbage dump, most likely some combo of the two. But would this stuff be so toxic if it were properly extracted?

Woody Bear
08-12-2010, 06:18 PM
I don't speak Russian, so I'm only going by what I saw on that video, but I thought that it looked to me like a typical War on Drug users propaganda piece. The "undercover" investigative reporting was simply going into a pharmacy, and asking for normal everyday products, then hyping it up saying that "kits to produce morphine" are available, when it's nothing of the sort.

So what's the alternative, banning either/or: codeine, batteries, iodine, matches? Or else passing a law that says you can only sell one of those items at a time? Do you really think that that will stop anybody?

Also it's not the Desomorphine that does the damage, that sort of damage is typical for street users who've damaged all their arm veins shooting over-acidic solutions while reusing the same needles, then start in on their leg veins.

The problem with damaging your leg veins, is that it causes a condition called venuous insufficiency, where the blood pools in the legs, because the leg vein valves get damaged, so the blood pools rather then being able to be removed efficiently.

Now because needle exchanges / harm reduction are seen in Russia as encouraging addiction, and police will rob or jail people found with needles, it makes people frightened to carry around clean needles, if they can even get them. So after injecting they will drop the needles, and often pick up discarded needles to reuse.

The reuse of needles repeatedly hooks the ends, and causes tremendous amount of vein damage. So using like this puts drug injectors in the position seen in the video, where they have no usable veins anymore, and then get chronic leg ulcers as a result.

Sure the desomorphine mixture would cause more vein damage than heroin, if it was over-acidified. That's part of the reason why black tar heroin is so bad on the veins. And here in the UK people who use to much citric acid also get more vein damage than those who don't use too much. Also that desomorphine would contain extremely high levels of bacteria in it if it was stored in a liquid form.

But it's the damage is not the result of the drug, if people were provided with good filters, used a fresh needle for each injection, then most of the harm wouldn't happen. The rest of it could get removed by using a tiny sliver of a pH strip to check the pH, and baking soda to raise the pH if it's too acidic.

So really the harm shown in this video is the result of Russia's failure to allow needle exchange / harm reduction to operate effectively.

More Feen
08-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Privyet, Bugsy.

I wish I still had a Cyrillic keyboard on this thing, but you'd probably laugh at my poor Russian grammar. :)

Hey Junkie-B (half-derail),

If you have Win XP or Win 7, just go to your language bar (control panel) and you can switch between english & Russian keyboards (Alt + Shift).

Then, you just have to memorize where the Cyrillic letters are located, Это просто, без проблемы.

Мор-Фин

M F

Bugsy
08-13-2010, 12:10 AM
I don't speak Russian, so I'm only going by what I saw on that video, but I thought that it looked to me like a typical War on Drug users propaganda piece. The "undercover" investigative reporting was simply going into a pharmacy, and asking for normal everyday products, then hyping it up saying that "kits to produce morphine" are available, when it's nothing of the sort.

So what's the alternative, banning either/or: codeine, batteries, iodine, matches? Or else passing a law that says you can only sell one of those items at a time? Do you really think that that will stop anybody?

Also it's not the Desomorphine that does the damage, that sort of damage is typical for street users who've damaged all their arm veins shooting over-acidic solutions while reusing the same needles, then start in on their leg veins.

The problem with damaging your leg veins, is that it causes a condition called venuous insufficiency, where the blood pools in the legs, because the leg vein valves get damaged, so the blood pools rather then being able to be removed efficiently.

Now because needle exchanges / harm reduction are seen in Russia as encouraging addiction, and police will rob or jail people found with needles, it makes people frightened to carry around clean needles, if they can even get them. So after injecting they will drop the needles, and often pick up discarded needles to reuse.

The reuse of needles repeatedly hooks the ends, and causes tremendous amount of vein damage. So using like this puts drug injectors in the position seen in the video, where they have no usable veins anymore, and then get chronic leg ulcers as a result.

Sure the desomorphine mixture would cause more vein damage than heroin, if it was over-acidified. That's part of the reason why black tar heroin is so bad on the veins. And here in the UK people who use to much citric acid also get more vein damage than those who don't use too much. Also that desomorphine would contain extremely high levels of bacteria in it if it was stored in a liquid form.

But it's the damage is not the result of the drug, if people were provided with good filters, used a fresh needle for each injection, then most of the harm wouldn't happen. The rest of it could get removed by using a tiny sliver of a pH strip to check the pH, and baking soda to raise the pH if it's too acidic.

So really the harm shown in this video is the result of Russia's failure to allow needle exchange / harm reduction to operate effectively.

You're so wrong my friend!!!
It is not acid in the solution or unavailability of clean syringes that kill desomorphine junkies in Russia.
It is purely extracted codeine along with LOADS of VERY TOXIC byproducts left in the solution they inject
after red phosphorus \iodine reduction reduction of codeine (with loads of other stuff) turn it into supposedly desomoprhine (some say this reaction does not even work to form desomorphine).
Same reaction for meth works forming pretty pure product but with codeine it doesn't.

You can buy any size syringes in russian drug stores (insulin,1cc,5cc,10cc) for 20-50 cents a piece and police may stop you and harass you if it sees you buying syringes. But thats' all, there is no danger of buying syringes in Russia and as you see on video there is always plenty around. Russian junkies don't reuse syringes as a rule, there are plenty of it around, cheap.
So that is not a problem that causes people looking roting...it is poison they inject. Straight up poison.

YES you can buy a kit with all you need to "cook" desomorphine and look like those people look in a few month. OR you don't buy it. It is YOUR choice!!!
I don't know if you put all codeine containing pills (only 10mg of codeine with 2 or 3 other things) on the list so it would require script, or like for ephedrine containing pills sing in in the register with ID for it. It is for Russian law makers to decide but something have to be done. Thousands killing themselves with poorly made home baked opiates that are nothing but toxic coctail of little of desomorphine and 90% of pure poison. Something have to be done, I know in the US they would react much quicker if this would become problem there.
I just can't get into the heads of those poor russian desomorphine junkies....they KNOW they are killing themselves (tons of examples around) and do it anyway!!! Why??? What kind of situation on misery (and life in NOT that horrible in Russia anymore!!!) can bring you do be doing that to yourself???

Chipper
08-13-2010, 01:46 AM
Bugsy, since I cannot understand the video - what happened to the guy with the asymetrical, odd shaped head ?

underide
08-13-2010, 04:25 AM
^^ passed away apparently :(

grim video alright, thanks for all the info bugsy..i was way too young when i left to remember any of the scene over there but have since heard stories from other Russian/East European addicts and was surprised to hear that illicitly produced methadone was pretty popular on the black market in St.Petersburg and Moscow

Bugsy
08-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Bugsy, since I cannot understand the video - what happened to the guy with the asymetrical, odd shaped head ?

He shot up that stuff into his neck (no veins left anywhere else i presume), it poisoned his brain and surrounding tissue really fast just like it does with legs and arms. Difference is that when it happens you can amputate the leg or an arm but with neck and brain you can not cut off the head. So poor guy died a little after that interview.
He died from toxic encephalopathy resulted from huge amounts of poisonous phosphorus/iodine byproducts
from making illicit opiate from over the counter codeine tablets.
Doctor says that usually cause of death among those desomorphine users is toxic encephalopathy plus serious
infections of tissue, bone, internal organs (liver,kidneys,lungs) that result sepsis with major organ failure.

Russian junkies and especially desomorphine users are notoriously resistant to use health care and any medical help when it is necessary. Because drug addicts are heavily stigmatized, health care quality is pretty low and afraid that police may be notified (that in reality russian doctors rarely do) they wait until thing are pretty much so out of control that they end up with no arm or leg or with serious abscess that spreads all over body.

Here is a video of leg amputation of one of those kind of users, note that he came to the hospital with his "foot" wrapped up in plastic bags that actually already decomposed and he kept walking around with a chunk of death tissue until smell became unbearable. It probably started with abscess that spread and caused gangrene of lower part of the leg.
There absolutely was a time when they could have saved his leg if he would ask for help earlier, like his other foot is in pretty bad shape but he will probably will be able to keep it.
Warning!!! VERY GRAPHIC IMAGES !!! BEWARE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZGkO2xYcEU

Chipper
08-13-2010, 03:12 PM
^^^ That's bone! Yikes! Un-fucking-believable! Thanks for explaining that. I've posted some graphic links but this really is extreme.

Count Zero
08-13-2010, 03:17 PM
After the last vid, I'm going to pass on this one but thanks Bugsy for a very interesting-and disturbing-thread. The Russians' aversion to maintenance and harm reduction is some bizarre shit-I wonder if anyone has done a cost/benefit analysis on the effect son their society. How many amputations on the public dime = 100 junkies on MMT?

poppy
08-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Fascinating thread. Shows just how lucky we have it in the UK.
I thought I'd seen some 'minging' 'rotten' 'literally smelly' legs in my time, but that video was something else. My BF and I were horrifically mesmerised by it. The poor bloke's good leg looked like it was going the same way as the other one. These shocking images are the sort of things that should be shown to young people at school - death to a teenager seems a million miles away but being horribly and irrevocably maimed/disfigured is something they can relate to.

OpiateQueen
08-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Fascinating thread. Shows just how lucky we have it in the UK.
I thought I'd seen some 'minging' 'rotten' 'literally smelly' legs in my time, but that video was something else. My BF and I were horrifically mesmerised by it. The poor bloke's good leg looked like it was going the same way as the other one. These shocking images are the sort of things that should be shown to young people at school - death to a teenager seems a million miles away but being horribly and irrevocably maimed/disfigured is something they can relate to.
that's true. Death can sometimes even seem 'heroic' to a teenager - but nothing heroic or cool about having your legs and arms rot off...

Bugsy, or any one else who understands russian - In the first long video - what is that bit of flesh being held down by a fork?! Is that from someone who is still alive?? And are all these people shooting up in their legs? Or are they getting the problems even if they're just shooting up in their arms?? Do the people who just do it for a few weeks or whatever usually end up ok? as in unscarred??

And Bugsy who do you find all this out from now? Do you have H using mates in Russia still? You said you'd never been back, so how do you know about the purity and stuff? Does your family use there or its just common knowledge there??

Some of that made me feel really queasy..and i never normally feel sick at that sort of shit:(

joedyclark
08-13-2010, 06:18 PM
that video was just crazy as hell , i dont see how he just let it get that bad. and another thing didnt that HURT??? was he on a shit load of painkillers i thought u could feel pain in bone i meen i dont know for sure but that was just horrible

Woody Bear
08-13-2010, 06:48 PM
You're so wrong my friend!!!
It is not acid in the solution or unavailability of clean syringes that kill desomorphine junkies in Russia.
It is purely extracted codeine along with LOADS of VERY TOXIC byproducts left in the solution they inject after red phosphorus \iodine reduction reduction of codeine (with loads of other stuff) turn it into supposedly desomoprhine (some say this reaction does not even work to form desomorphine).
Same reaction for meth works forming pretty pure product but with codeine it doesn't.
The reason why I say that the left over acid which causes a lot of the damage, is that phosphorus and iodine by themselves aren't toxic. Quite the contrary, they are essential nutrients. But in chemical reduction reactions, red phosphorus and iodine combine to produce hydroiodic acid, and this is the acid that reduces pseudoephedrine to methamphetamine in meth synthesis. If the hydroiodic acid isn't neutralised, than the desomorphine solution would be incredibly acidic, way more acidic that concentrated citric acid solution.

Also the reason why methamphetamine is relately clean compared to this desomorphine, is because the meth cooks extract the meth into solvent, then separate it and gas the solvent with hydrochloric acid. This causes pure methamphetamine hydrochloride to drop out of the solvent. If the desomorphine cooks did the same thing, which would work the same way, then it would remove pretty much all of the things which make those desomorphine solutions so toxic.

Also codeine isn't toxic, it causes a lot of histamine release, so it's dangerous to inject IV, but it's safe to inject IM, and even if you take it orally it gets into your blood. Now if this desomorphine solution was said to cause allergic reactions and people lungs to fill with fluid, then I'd agree that it was most likely the left over codeine in the solution that would cause this. But that's would be down to the histamine release caused by massive amounts of codeine getting into the blood at once.

So I still don't think that it's necessarily the chemicals in the Russian codeine to desomorphine cook that's the cause the harm. But rather the bacteria, the excess acid, and the pill fragment particles.

What happens if you inject unfiltered solutions made from crushed pills, is that the particles get stuck in your capillaries, and this prevents blood getting to that area. This causes that part to die. My sister in law is a doctor who works in the Emergency Department, and she's seen people with a tip of their fingers or toe dead, which was caused by injecting.

Now if people use syringe filters which filter down to 0.2 um then it would remove all the bacteria, and all particles which are capable of blocking capillaries. But if you don't use filters, and you inject pills on a regular basis, then gangrene like shown in the video will become a problem. Gangrene causes toxin overload, because the waste products produced by your cells build up as they can't get removed.

So if people have fucked up all their arm and leg veins to the point that they get gangrene, then toxic encephalopathy is easy to get, because their body would get stuggle to deal with the toxin's it produces itself, yet alone the additional toxins from the environment and toxic drug solutions.

Also that black liquid desomorphine they showed looked nasty. It's the same with Kompot. Anytime you have water exposed to open air, it gets bacteria in it. Sometimes bacteria themselves are toxic, in that case filtering out the bacteria would clean the solution. Othertimes it's the waste products of the bacteria which are toxic, and in that case, filtering or boiling will not make the solution safe.

So even if Russia desomorphine (or Kompot) users used filters, they would still be shooting a lot of bacteria piss and shit into their bodies. Which is why it is so stupid to store your drugs in liquid form. Heroin breaks down into morphine when left in solution, so that makes the Kompot thing even more stupid.

Anyways, I don't doubt that the Russia desomorphine cooks are incredibly toxic, but the drug itself mostly likely is not. If the cooks would just put a little bit more effort into cleaning it up into a nice powder, then all of this toxicity problem would go away.

Now even though phosphorus is an essential nutrient for people, I've read that phosphoric acid is not good to consume because it will cause calcium to get stripped out of your bones. As your body has to keep you blood pH constant, so it will do that if you have too much acid in your diet.

I'm totally open to the possibility that in addition to the excess acid, bacteria and bacteria waste, plus particulates in these shots, that some of the chemicals themselves might be toxic if consumed to excess. But none of those chemicals would even be in the shot if the cooks cleaned it up properly.

You can buy any size syringes in russian drug stores (insulin,1cc,5cc,10cc) for 20-50 cents a piece and police may stop you and harass you if it sees you buying syringes. But thats' all, there is no danger of buying syringes in Russia and as you see on video there is always plenty around. Russian junkies don't reuse syringes as a rule, there are plenty of it around, cheap.
That's really encouraging to know. I'm not in Russia, so I can only go on what I read about, and I've read quite a few stories about Russian junkies being afraid to carry needles around with them. But it's good to know that at least where you are that the people you know don't reuse needles. That's great.

Bugsy
08-14-2010, 12:37 AM
My family is still there but nobody in my family uses drugs. I've met a few Russian people here in NY who reached out to me to help them find some H. They were here on holiday working visa and knew noone and had absolutely no idea where and how to score.
Needless to say all they needed to mmet me in Brooklyn and in 15 minutes everything was peachy.:)
They told me all about heroin in Russia and about desomorphine and etc. The rest was jjust a little of research on Russian sites devoted to drug addiction, harm reduction.
One Russian friend I even went to visit in LA (she married an american and lives here permanently) where I had an opportunity to try the infamous TAR. It was something...200mg of it put me out cold. I open my eyes with my face in the bathroom sink. I was there for an hour. It was very close to really, really OD. That tar shit was something...delivered to our door for $80 a gram it was one of the most potent heroin I ever tried.
The only problem you can't fool with missing a shot of it or you'll get bad abscess. Also it is very acidic.
Another thing after doing this tar for just about a week I came back to NY where U had a bit of a money problems, so I went to most horrific WD I ever had, it was 2 to 3 times worse that I ever had from east coast powder. No joke!!! This TAR stuff if real deal. Unfortunately I hear that there is also pretty shitty tar, for like $40 a gram that you have to shoot the WHOLE gram. Too bad. That LA stuff would probably KILL you if you do quarter gram in one shot. Half a gram...and you are dead 100% I'd rather pay $80 for that kind of stuff. And by the way she is been using the same source for like 3 years now and it is always been this good, I mean excellent stuff. She says that $80 a gram a bit expensive but it is worth every penny.

Hey LA people! How much is tar on average there?

Chipper
08-14-2010, 12:44 AM
I have been researching this phenomenon and found that this severe necrosis may, in fact, be caused by injecting the drug Tianeptine. Another video can be found here > http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xajhtm_tianeptine-drug-users_news

Warning: This is also very graphic and painful to watch and listen to!

Bugsy
08-14-2010, 12:52 AM
The reason why I say that the left over acid which causes a lot of the damage, is that phosphorus and iodine by themselves aren't toxic. Quite the contrary, they are essential nutrients.

Are you kidding???

Organic compounds of phosphorus form a wide class of materials, some of which are extremely toxic. Fluorophosphate esters are among the most potent neurotoxins known. A wide range of organophosphorus compounds are used for their toxicity to certain organisms as pesticides (herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, etc.) and weaponised as nerve agents. Most inorganic phosphates are relatively nontoxic and essential nutrients
For environmentally adverse effects of phosphates see eutrophication and algal blooms.
The white phosphorus allotrope should be kept under water at all times as it presents a significant fire hazard due to its extreme reactivity with atmospheric oxygen, and it should only be manipulated with forceps since contact with skin can cause severe burns. Chronic white phosphorus poisoning leads to necrosis of the jaw called "phossy jaw". Ingestion of white phosphorus may cause a medical condition known as "Smoking Stool Syndrome".

What is formed there are organic byproducts or unreacted phosphorus plus tons of other shit... By the way one of the young guys in the video tells the reporter that doctors told him that he has "phossy jaw"...his jaw is rotting as a direct result of toxic phosphorus contamination of the body.

It is not desomorphine that kills them, but for every few mg of desomorphine they IV loads of other crap that is extremely toxic!!!
You have to understand that guys who cook this stuff are NOT chemists, they have NO idea what is going on while they mix all the ingridients together, heat it up etc. etc. They just were shown "5 easy steps to make desomorphine" :( and they follow it. There is no thinking how's about cleaning final product and stuff, quickly fill up the syringes and GO!
This is home bake at its worst, they perform pretty complicated organic chemistry reaction in the kitchen...
with no temperature control or anything like it. It is REAL easy to make stuff that will be VERY impure, and as a result VERY TOXIC!!! Acidity is nothing compare to what's in the solution, actually to neutralize acidity is super easy even five year old can do it. Acidity is not a problem here, believe me.
Also there is no problem with filtering the solution because it does not contain any insolubles. Codeine salts are water soluble. The final product looks like reddish brown to dark brown liquid. It does look scary, but there is no insolubles in it, it is clear. For Kompot it is actually Ok to look like that because it is acetylated opium and opium solution is brown liquid.
Also extreme temperatures while cooking desomorphine or Kompot destroy most of the bakteria so any significant contamination is unlikely. Like i said it is not acidity, not bacteria, not insolubles, but all the toxic byproducts left over in the solution that is making this stuff so bad for you.

Bugsy
08-14-2010, 01:09 AM
I have been researching this phenomenon and found that this severe necrosis may, in fact, be caused by injecting the drug Tianeptine. Another video can be found here > http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xajhtm_tianeptine-drug-users_news

Warning: This is also very graphic and painful to watch and listen to!

Yes...Tianeptine (brand name Coaxil) was another horrible stuff people injected. Those are pills, they would crush them (a lot, 20-50 or more) and inject the solution with LOTS of insolubles, it caused tons of amputations and other horrible stuff.
Tianeptine is serotonin reuptake enhancer and when injected in high doses produces opiate like euphoria. Tianeptine is used as antidepressant and approved for use in Europe and Asia but not USA or Canada.
It was not cheap $20 for 20 tablets (average dose). But cheaper than heroin still, it also could be purchased in any drug store without a script.
Now however russian drug control reacted and Tianeptine is very tightly controlled. It was just like desomorphine, amputations, severe infections, deaths. All over the country, especially in the small siberian towns where heroin was hard to come by.
There are loads of videos about it on YouTube under russian name of the drug Коаксил (Coaxil), there is great documentary called Трафик.Трагедию зовут Коаксил ( Traffik.The tragedy called Coaxil) anyone with enough guts watch it.

Documentary is here:
http://rutube.ru/tracks/1498528.html?v=8bee0c66b968f79590d47bee74544536

Chipper
08-14-2010, 01:20 AM
I swear that after watching this, I will never be the same ... having injected many, many pills in my lifetime, I'm going to be even more careful.

Those images will haunt me for years to come yet I thank you, Bugsy, for making me aware of the drug "lifestyle" of these poor, tragic people.

Bugsy
08-14-2010, 01:30 AM
I swear that after watching this, I will never be the same ... having injected many, many pills in my lifetime, I'm going to be even more careful.

Those images will haunt me for years to come yet I thank you, Bugsy, for making me aware of the drug "lifestyle" of these poor, tragic people.

well you should be...injecting pills with lots of insolubles left in the solution is not good for you. I remember how concern I was when I first shoot up two 4mg Dilaududs...it was milky too, I could not draw it into insulin syringe,needle was getting clogged constantly. I did it anyway. I must say I wasn't all that impressed with Dilaudud IV pills high. It was Ok but did not worth all the pain to do it, and all the problems with health it may cause. I did it like 3 times and then said, fuck it, it ain't worth it. Even though it was cheap, I would buy 4mg Dilaudid for $3.

But those wretched people taking it to an extreme! Imagine shooting up 5cc of milky solution into your femoral vein??? I mean those people shoot 20 to 50 pills in ONE shot!!! pills twice the size of Dilaudud. No filtering, no nothing!!! Just load up huge syringe (5cc) with big needle (so it would not clog) and GO!!!
Then you'll get the shit in the video...all for 30 seconds of euphoria.

clonaze-whammed
08-14-2010, 04:02 AM
This is definitely the scariest thread Ive ever read in the 4 odd years that Ive been reading these boards.

Deeply Disturbing.

danny
08-14-2010, 10:03 AM
is it me or are the russians the most fucking hardcore white people on the face of the planet?

watching these videos, the klitschko brothers, fedor emilianenko, the gameshow where you have to rob a car and drive it out of moscow without the police catching you(!), stalin, the russian mafia, neo nazis...

i used to be convinced that us, the english/irish/scots & welsh were the most hardcore white people but no, i have to admit it....
the russians shit us and no mistake....

you can take the title, i dont want it back if it means i have to take drugs that make my head go out of shape and my arms and legs rot....

Uncle Wiggly
08-14-2010, 10:55 AM
The Russians have historically been a tough lot. One prime example is Stalin's Order #227 (Not One Step Back) issued to the Red Army before The Battle of Stalingrad during WWII. Here's a link that briefly explains it and all it entailed.

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/not_one_step_back.htm

danny
08-14-2010, 01:22 PM
wiggs you interested in that kinda thing? i got to be honest im a bit of a history geek and ww2, russia from 1917 on, the third reich etc etc are all subjects that i know far too much about despite the fact unless i clean up and get my arse thru college theyll only ever be of any use to win pub quizzes and as i enter my mid 30s its starting to look more and more unlikely unless i get my skates on

clonaze-whammed
08-14-2010, 06:08 PM
wiggs you interested in that kinda thing? i got to be honest im a bit of a history geek and ww2, russia from 1917 on, the third reich etc etc are all subjects that i know far too much about despite the fact unless i clean up and get my arse thru college theyll only ever be of any use to win pub quizzes and as i enter my mid 30s its starting to look more and more unlikely unless i get my skates on

well then get your fucking skates on Danny mate!

no sense in letting an education go to waste.

Citricburn
08-14-2010, 07:53 PM
FUCKIN ELL

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:4yQEPhx8BXD_FM:http://easybakecoven.net/graphics/ludovico.jpg&t=1

After watching all the videos in this thread, I feel like i have just been put through the ludovico technique!!

Count Zero
08-15-2010, 05:25 PM

I think you should do that, you already know 98% of what you need to know-put in a few years-get some student loans you will hopefully be able to pay back, at least that's how it works here in the colonies-get a degree or two and have people pay you money for whatever. Mate you could do it in your sleep, let me know how it all works out, I might want to try it some day.
All joking aside, I think you should take advantage of your country's great and compared to here affordable educational system, you could literally do it in your spare time.
Edit: sorry to hijack, I've told Bugsy already how powerful this thread is.
Bugsy, why do the Russins so object to harm reduction and maintenance etc? They are as barbaric as the Chinese. WTF?

Chipper
08-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Yeah, Danny - those Ruskies are the hardest-of-hardcore. I hadn't thought about it but after those videos - they win !

poppy
08-15-2010, 07:15 PM
I've only just noticed this post.

I don't know where your are education wise, mainly whether you did your A'levels after school. If you did then in January 2111 you can apply for university as a mature student to start in September 2111. If you didn't you can do either an access or foundation course which replaces A' levels for mature students ( both 1 year - if u do an access course you get extra dole money, it was a tenner a week plus travel costs in 1995, so presumably its gone up since then.

I did the foundation version which was exactly the same course, the only difference being you got a grant (so officially off the dole) and you were just guaranteed a place at the local University (Worcester in my case) as long as you passed. This saved you the hassle of applications and interviews (and as the kids were tiny back then I didn't want to move area). There's probably just about time to get enrolled on an access course for this September.

Go for it, much better than sitting around tooting - well you can still toot just not during college hours (lol). I keep saying I'll go back - unlikely with the destruction of brain cells. I only did the first year at uni and then my life started to fall apart, as I began my affairs with Stella and Ms Heroin.

clinton
08-15-2010, 10:48 PM
every nationality has their own special "hardcore" bunch of crazies

danny
08-16-2010, 06:39 AM
I've only just noticed this post.

I don't know where your are education wise, mainly whether you did your A'levels after school. If you did then in January 2111 you can apply for university as a mature student to start in September 2111. If you didn't you can do either an access or foundation course which replaces A' levels for mature students ( both 1 year - if u do an access course you get extra dole money, it was a tenner a week plus travel costs in 1995, so presumably its gone up since then.

I did the foundation version which was exactly the same course, the only difference being you got a grant (so officially off the dole) and you were just guaranteed a place at the local University (Worcester in my case) as long as you passed. This saved you the hassle of applications and interviews (and as the kids were tiny back then I didn't want to move area). There's probably just about time to get enrolled on an access course for this September.

Go for it, much better than sitting around tooting - well you can still toot just not during college hours (lol). I keep saying I'll go back - unlikely with the destruction of brain cells. I only did the first year at uni and then my life started to fall apart, as I began my affairs with Stella and Ms Heroin.

pop rather than derail this quality thread ill have a good chat about this with you on the im if youre about....

poppy
08-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Sorry all I'm guilty of derailment, yet again!!

Thanat0s
08-16-2010, 05:21 PM
The reason why I say that the left over acid which causes a lot of the damage, is that phosphorus and iodine by themselves aren't toxic. Quite the contrary, they are essential nutrients. But in chemical reduction reactions, red phosphorus and iodine combine to produce hydroiodic acid, and this is the acid that reduces pseudoephedrine to methamphetamine in meth synthesis. If the hydroiodic acid isn't neutralised, than the desomorphine solution would be incredibly acidic, way more acidic that concentrated citric acid solution.

Also the reason why methamphetamine is relately clean compared to this desomorphine, is because the meth cooks extract the meth into solvent, then separate it and gas the solvent with hydrochloric acid. This causes pure methamphetamine hydrochloride to drop out of the solvent. If the desomorphine cooks did the same thing, which would work the same way, then it would remove pretty much all of the things which make those desomorphine solutions so toxic.

before gasssing, the reaction solution is first basified with lye, THEN extracted into tolulene etc, THEN gassed or dropwise acidified until precip forms...

edit:
proper a/b may save a lot of pain in russia methinks

Bugsy
08-16-2010, 09:50 PM
before gasssing, the reaction solution is first basified with lye, THEN extracted into tolulene etc, THEN gassed or dropwise acidified until precip forms...

edit:
proper a/b may save a lot of pain in russia methinks

Meth in Russia is quite pure, they follow all the a/b they need. It is phosphorus/iodine reaction of codeine that produces a lots of toxic byproducts.
The same process for meth is quite different reaction and will not work for desomorphine, and those desomorphine "cooks" are pretty lazy and inexpirenced compare to meth cooks.

odd
08-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothing to fuck with!

sorry I had to after watching that horrible video. it's the only thing that I thought of watching dude getting his "foot" cut off.

Restharrow
08-17-2010, 03:28 PM
I have family in Estonia. They are visiting relatives in Russia now. They can see Finland from their house (across the water). You must have been close to Estonia.

They told me the only drugs they were able to take were Benzo's and Ritaline (Ritalin aka Methylphinidate). One set of parents were high up in political side and they were given Ritalin to stay awake when needed.

Will

Bugsy
08-17-2010, 04:31 PM
I have family in Estonia. They are visiting relatives in Russia now. They can see Finland from their house (across the water). You must have been close to Estonia.

They told me the only drugs they were able to take were Benzo's and Ritaline (Ritalin aka Methylphinidate). One set of parents were high up in political side and they were given Ritalin to stay awake when needed.

Will

Estonia in effort to become part of EU took strong approach to drugs and addiction. There is very little traffiking inside Estonia (although excellent quality Estonian amphetamines are famous all over Russia!:)), heroin is present but hard to come by and insanely expensive (200 euros a gram!), however since Estonia is gateway port to rest all the Europe lots of Afghani heroin transits it on the way to UK and Denmark,Holland.

Estonia also has methadone and Subutex clinics to treat addicts, they also detox addicts in jail pretty much doing everything civilized European way. Until recently easy availability of cheap Subutex (2-5 euros a pill,8mg) attracted loads of addicts from Finland and Sweden where Subutex is widely abused by IV injection.
They would come on the ferry once a month and will buy the whole month supply of Subutex from estonian addicts at 5 euro a pill, it was a great business and junkies were happy as hell! Until recently customs noticed that and Estonia quickly substituted Subutex for Suboxone that was not good to IV and noone would want it...

Citricburn
08-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothing to fuck with!

sorry I had to after watching that horrible video. it's the only thing that I thought of watching dude getting his "foot" cut off.

What you mean mate? Im a big fan of the clan but I dont see any connotations?

danny
08-17-2010, 05:25 PM

threw me too....

OverDriven
08-17-2010, 09:30 PM
He shot up that stuff into his neck (no veins left anywhere else i presume), it poisoned his brain and surrounding tissue really fast just like it does with legs and arms. Difference is that when it happens you can amputate the leg or an arm but with neck and brain you can not cut off the head. So poor guy died a little after that interview.
He died from toxic encephalopathy resulted from huge amounts of poisonous phosphorus/iodine byproducts
from making illicit opiate from over the counter codeine tablets.
Doctor says that usually cause of death among those desomorphine users is toxic encephalopathy plus serious
infections of tissue, bone, internal organs (liver,kidneys,lungs) that result sepsis with major organ failure.

Russian junkies and especially desomorphine users are notoriously resistant to use health care and any medical help when it is necessary. Because drug addicts are heavily stigmatized, health care quality is pretty low and afraid that police may be notified (that in reality russian doctors rarely do) they wait until thing are pretty much so out of control that they end up with no arm or leg or with serious abscess that spreads all over body.

Here is a video of leg amputation of one of those kind of users, note that he came to the hospital with his "foot" wrapped up in plastic bags that actually already decomposed and he kept walking around with a chunk of death tissue until smell became unbearable. It probably started with abscess that spread and caused gangrene of lower part of the leg.
There absolutely was a time when they could have saved his leg if he would ask for help earlier, like his other foot is in pretty bad shape but he will probably will be able to keep it.
Warning!!! VERY GRAPHIC IMAGES !!! BEWARE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZGkO2xYcEU

Holy titty fucking christ on a pogo stick!

The bone part...I got to it...can not unsee...fuckfuckfuckfuck :eek:

Bugsy
08-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Here is 100% real life story how russian police deals with junkies.
A few months back in the city of Ekaterinburg (Ural region close to Tajikistan, lots of drugs) a 24 year old junkie was caught red handed on apartment burglary. With loss less than $5000 he got his well deserved FOUR years of imprisonment and went back to police post trial holding facility to wait to be shipped to the labour camp (all the imprisonment sentences in Russia include working and living in prison labour camp, only security levels/restrictions are different low,medium and high)

Russian police in notorious for being ridiculously inefficient. There are thousands of crimes that go unsolved every year. Horrible crimes like rape,murder,assault and not just thieft,robbery,embezzlement and etc.
Simply said russian cops just don't give a fuck for the most part. With weekly pay of $150, good detective would not try very hard, also there very old outdated equipment, crime scene investigation technik, evidence collection and all.
However like any others russian cops have monthly and quarterly quotas on arrests and convictions. Fail to solve 25 home burglaries a month in your district and have a chance to loose a $100 bonus, promotion or important benefit like free airline ticket to any holiday spot for you and your family.

So russian cops try VERY hard to reach those quotas by the end of the month, junkies and other undesirables get arrested on bull shit charges, drugs are being planted, confessions coerced etc. etc.

So this 24 year old junkie who already got 4 years for burglary happen to be caught at that kind of time.
At trial cops right away noticed rather easy going and a bit stupid dope fiend.
They brought him to district offices next day, gave vodka, cigarettes, one on one 30 minutes alone with his wife...and then made him sign a confession for 3 (three!!!) another burglaries in the hood, one with $100000 worth of stuff taken. And he DID!!! For those he was facing another 8 years!!! Keep in mind that there is NO concurrent serving of jail terms in Russia!!! All terms just added to each other!

Another band of cops from different district hear from colleges that there is a junkie that can take a few felonies of their hands for some vodka, cigarettes, amphetamines, food, and unsupervised visits.
So within 2 months he "confessed" another burglary, armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and GTA, getting usual crown treatment and about 12 more years in return!!!

Finally not very well known branch of rail road police decided to use him to get confession for well known thieft of computers from the offices of little rail road stations outside of the city.
They brought him over, gave him usual goodies and he willingly and happily agreed to another thieft that will bring him to exactly 25 years of jail!!!

To sweeten the deal rail road cops decided to give him 5 grams of just confiscated pure dope, he took it and hid it in his anus. Cops also provided him with the hit inside the office and even supplied him with the needle!!!

When famous criminal after day of questioning arrived at holding facility totally wasted, corrections right away decided to give him a full cavity search, within minutes it produced 5 grams of dope and the needle.
Corrections told him that will be another 4 years for possession of "extremely large" (legal term) quantity of narcotics. He right away loudly protested and demanded dope back saying that cops said that corrections "should know who gave it to him" that is when he told them who and why gave him dope.
Of course corrections called internal affairs of the police and huge and scandalous investigation began!

This is surely is very unusual and extreme story, however it is not uncommon to coerce or bribe already confessed defendants to take another charge. Some do for different reasons, and cops are happy with reporting crime has been "solved".

Here is another quick and funny example. A bookkeeper got caught stealing 200000 roubles ($6000)
detective ask her, how long have you been stealing money for?...Two years she says...And how much did you take at the time?....Not much, 1000 maybe 2000 roubles a week ($60)
So smart cop went and printed out FIFTY TWO confessions of thieft every week for 52 weeks!!! And made her sign it!!! That's how he fulfilled the quota for small thieft convictions for the whole year! in one day! His boss was happy, he got a bonus and extra 5 days of vocation time!

More Feen
08-23-2010, 08:03 AM
if there's a corruption-proof system somewhere in the world, I'd like to know about it.

whatever the rules are in a particular country/society, there will always be those who learn how to abuse the system. Bugsy's examples above show how its done in Russia.

Yesterday on MSNBC's Caught On Camera, Police left their video / audio recorder on, while they schemed to frame an innocent woman motorist for an accident caused by the same police.

You can hear them talking to the Accident investigator, asking him to fudge data so it would look like the woman was at fault.

Stupidly, the police sent her lawyer a copy of the dash cam tape with all of the incriminating conversation on it !! The police involved & the Accident investigator were fired.

Now, if it weren't for that tape, there would be no way to prove the woman's story. If the police had covered their asses just a little better and sent her an edited copy of the dash cam tape, all of the corrupt people would likely still be working for LE.

Take home message: video tape EVERYTHING!!

M F

tyler5
08-25-2010, 10:41 PM
hey, im a current fentanyl/heroin user living in a former USSR.

i can tell You guys everything about life here currently, just ask, i cant think of anything specific.

for instance, oxycontin is given to only terminally ill cancer patients.

the other opiate mis morphine which is also given only to old people with various problems.

the main drug available from doctors if You have a serious injury is tramadol. :D
other than that its paracetamol popping day and night.

the main drug available is euro powder amphetamine and cannabis. heroin/fentanyl is available in big cities.

anyway ,ask if You would like to know anything!

greetings from the former USSR!

to the thread starter and every other former USSR and/or Russian citizen in this forum: which city do You live in? Im sorry i havent read the whole thread yet. and what type of dope is available at Your city?
Russian made fentanyl or heroin from afghan/tajik?

tyler5
08-27-2010, 12:46 AM
hey Bugsy, great memoirs, brought back my childhood years in a city not far from You.
continue writing Your stories i say, they're brilliant.

Bugsy
10-06-2010, 01:41 AM
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100603/159292501.html

this article gives quick overview about illicit desomorphine production in Russia...
cheap to make...$5 a dose, fast onset-short duration...doesn't last more than 2 hours
deadly TOXIC..."desomorphine" addicts in Russia rarely live more than 2-3 years!
This horrible stuff kills 18 year olds, because heroin is expensive ($30 a gram) in small cities where are no jobs, and average pay is about 200 dollars a month! But cheap codeine ($2 for 12, 8mg pills) is freely available WITHOUT script. Add red phosphorus (from matches strikers) and iodine (50 cents for 25ml) plus a few other components and you've got a dose (2-5 cc) of desomorphine for mere $5-7 !!!

Duckfeet
10-06-2010, 10:42 AM
I salute you, Bugsy: excellent thread, and you took the time and effort to make it so...one of great gifts of this site, is that through our common affliction(love of opiates), we get to see our commonality in unexpected ways. The digital world has made the world much smaller, quckly, and whether this bodes ill is beyond me, but when I read your story, and the stories of the hell addicts in Russia go thru, I mostly just thought of some of the horror stories in my country: people fixing in their necks, Parkinsons from homemaid Fent...AIDS, all that, and how much we have in common, really, even if the details are a bit grim...no surprises to me...when you've no way out, and stumble on a temporary reprieve from daily hell, you take it...that's how crack got so horribly popular here in USA...

I've always had a 'romantic' view of Russia, u know, 'the Steppes, Siberia, The Brothers Karamazov, War and Peace, wild nights and cold weather and beautiful women and I began reading Russian writers when I was nineteen in war, and it changed so much, gave me aspirations...of course, I'm that way about NYC too, never lived there, fascinated by the place and the stories come out of there...

And of late, I've become a bit of a malware fighter, so I'm all fascinated by the Russian Business Network, also out of St.Pete, and cybercrime and all that....

Oh, I'm getting sidetracked...mostly just wanted to say welcome to you, the different backgrounds and stories, and the fact we coexist in a friendly way on here make me always miss this site, and inevitably I come back, and stumbling on this thread was reward....heartache and hope...

Bugsy
10-10-2010, 01:11 AM
I salute you, Bugsy: excellent thread, and you took the time and effort to make it so...one of great gifts of this site,, Parkinsons from homemaid Fent...

not fentanyl but MPPP...produced this way in the USA not Russia!!!

tui
10-10-2010, 01:45 AM
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100603/159292501.html

this article gives quick overview about illicit desomorphine production in Russia...
cheap to make...$5 a dose, fast onset-short duration...doesn't last more than 2 hours
deadly TOXIC..."desomorphine" addicts in Russia rarely live more than 2-3 years!
This horrible stuff kills 18 year olds, because heroin is expensive ($30 a gram) in small cities where are no jobs, and average pay is about 200 dollars a month! But cheap codeine ($2 for 12, 8mg pills) is freely available WITHOUT script. Add red phosphorus (from matches strikers) and iodine (50 cents for 25ml) plus a few other components and you've got a dose (2-5 cc) of desomorphine for mere $5-7 !!!

From the article: "Recent years have seen a renewed interest in desomorphine as a narcotic. Its effect is very similar to that of heroin. Both substances cause the same strong dependence and lead to an irreversible destruction of the organism."

Huh? Heroin leads to an irreversible destruction of the organism? What does that mean?

Also, that article says heroin addicts only live for 5 years on average- that is wild. I am not convinced how accurate that article is.

duck
10-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Im convinced that the article is NOT accurate.

GOLD N DIEMONDS
10-10-2010, 08:24 AM
From the article: "Recent years have seen a renewed interest in desomorphine as a narcotic. Its effect is very similar to that of heroin. Both substances cause the same strong dependence and lead to an irreversible destruction of the organism."

Huh? Heroin leads to an irreversible destruction of the organism? What does that mean?

Also, that article says heroin addicts only live for 5 years on average- that is wild. I am not convinced how accurate that article is.

Did not read the article however
it maybe accurate IN ruzzia-
not due to the drugs-
BUT
due to the totally corrupt ex-KGB communist system run a muck -fucked
-Things are bad there- very bad

So say me ruzzian gal-pal, she just returned from visiting her extended Ruzzian family.
(There reunion took place in thailand- if that says anything)
I would believes basically ruzzia in way or another-
just ends up killing the fucking addicts/ junkies.

STILL Russia is one of the biggest producers of 'H' in thee world
oh the fucking irony

Russia- much luck to you Bugsy and tyler5

Benz
10-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Hello Bugsy, this thread is fascinating. I've always had fascination with Russia, I studied the history & politics at school. It probably started there. I used to have Russian friends from the capital & elsewhere in Russia. They used to tell me stories of the hardship over there but those pictures & video. That's really scary stuff, people don't get like that because they're stupid. It's total desperation and despair. I've got a link to South Africa where there's no welfare or free healthcare. If you don't work, you don't get anything, nothing at all. It always made me grateful for the provisions we get as addicts. Especially opioid replacement therapy. It may not be ideal but hey, it's better than NOTHING. Plus harm reduction.

I really admire you for having the intelligence & mettle to get out when you did. Your posts are very humbling to me, lucky enough to be born in the UK.

Benz

duck
10-10-2010, 09:50 AM
I would truly love to read wrte ups of junkie life in Russia

Bugsy
10-14-2010, 07:26 AM
I would truly love to read wrte ups of junkie life in Russia

there is great site of russian junkie life with lots of writings...unfortunately it is in RUSSIAN...maybe one day i will get to it and translate a few stories.

www.drugusers.ru

Restharrow
10-14-2010, 08:08 AM
I enjoyed this thread Bugs. IMO the number of posts and views shows how interested a lot of us are in the life in Russia.

duck
10-14-2010, 09:06 AM
If I decide to do a doctoral program in History (probably doing economics but maybe history, I have to decide and take the GRE within the next 90 days) it would be fascinating to write my dissertation on junkie life in Russia during the 20th/21st university.

At my school and really at any reputable liberal arts graduate school you must learn the language of the nation you wish to study, this obviously being a much larger task for an english-only person such as myself than learning a western Europe romance language...but I won't be starting the MA/PhD til next fall so I will have all summer to learn the language, either through rosetta stone or actually going to the country.

Sorry, digression...

Bugsy
10-14-2010, 05:42 PM
If I decide to do a doctoral program in History (probably doing economics but maybe history, I have to decide and take the GRE within the next 90 days) it would be fascinating to write my dissertation on junkie life in Russia during the 20th/21st university.
At my school and really at any reputable liberal arts graduate school you must learn the language of the nation you wish to study, this obviously being a much larger task for an english-only person such as myself than learning a western Europe romance language...but I won't be starting the MA/PhD til next fall so I will have all summer to learn the language, either through rosetta stone or actually going to the country.
Sorry, digression...

My wife in ESL teacher (she is Canadian) and been teaching English all over asia (Vietnam,Japan,Thailand).
She says that Rosetta Stone is heap of trash!!! Going to the country and actually immersing yourself into language for 3-6 months is the best (Finnair flies from NYC to St.Petersburg, $550 roundtrip:cool:)
All those Rosetta,Berlitz and etc. is marketing trick to suck more and more of your money! A $50 unknown name CD course will be better...like one I got online for my wife. Don't buy Rosetta Stone stuff...it is a waste!!!
Russian junkies lifestyle is quite different from american/european...first widespread drug addiction started only in early '90 in Russia...before that it was deeply underground, secretive close knit groups that you had to know and belong to so you could get your hand on anything stronger that weed, benzos or glue. First opium appeared and there was a wave of people acetylating opium with AA simply on the stove in the kitchen. You will go to a dealer get a gram of opium ($10-15), then get 3-5 ml of AA ($3) from chemical dealer, then last but not least a blister pack of diphenhydramine ($1-1.50) to suppress histamine release caused by IV codeine,acetyl codeine in acetylated opium. And that's it.
Then around 1995-96 opium slowly disappeared from drug scene and was replaced by heroin. It was cheap and high quality, a wrap (100mg) could be had for $3 !!! a smaller wrap (50mg) only $1.50 !!! Grams would go for $20-25, there was halfs and quarters too. Heroin was everywhere. People OD'd by hundreds. Law enforcement didn't do shit. 1998,1999,2000 was the height of Russia's heroin epidemic.
Now things are different. Law enforcement is much more serious. Dealers got greedy and cut pure afghan product to shit (average russian purity 15-20%, daily dose of 1-3 grams is totally normal), gram is now cost $30. Lots of cheap heroin substitutes emerged, like famous "crocodile" (aka desomorphine) prepared from over the counter codeine tablets by red phosphorus/iodine reaction. People shoot antidepressant Tianeptine (Coaxil) , Butorphanol, abuse stuff like Lyrica.

duck
10-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Wasnt planning on buying....more like sharing ;)

But honestly can u recommend a program that's better than rosetta stone?

More Feen
10-14-2010, 06:26 PM
there is great site of russian junkie life with lots of writings...unfortunately it is in RUSSIAN...maybe one day i will get to it and translate a few stories.

www.drugusers.ru (http://www.drugusers.ru)

Thanks for posting that link Bugsy.

Found a few pages that were interesting--even photos (one of american soldiers in Afghanistan sitting in front of an MJ field).

Looks like that site is mostly dealing with methamphetamine, then MJ and other drugs to a lesser degree.

There was a photo of a Russian Pharmacy with a sign on it (in Russian of course): "We Have NO Ephedra!"

Cool B,

M F

Kenaz
10-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Bugsy: thanks for some fantastic information and for pointing me in the direction of some primary sources. I gave you props in my new blog (http://opiatedshamanism.blogspot.com) but I wanted to let you know personally how much this is appreciated.

The junkies of the former Soviet republics and Eastern Europe are a truly awe-inspiring bunch. They shoot up stuff that would make the most hardened American garbage-head gutter punk cry, in conditions that make our filthiest shooting galleries look sterile. There's something existential about their grim self-destruction: I'm trying to imagine what could make somebody keep shooting into their remaining leg after losing a limb to coaxil or DIY desomorphine. And with a largely hostile medical, legal and political establishment in place, it's not like they have a lot of options for therapy or counseling. A horrible situation all around.

OxyRush Limbaugh
10-19-2010, 05:11 PM
i have never read a more moving, gut wrenching thread on ANY board. period.

Loki
10-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Wanted to stop in here and take a shit on the thread with some info. Use google to find it, but there is a free program you can add to your browers that will translate webpages to english ect.

The translation will sometimes be wierd, but definitely readable.

More Feen
10-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Wanted to stop in here and take a shit on the thread with some info. Use google to find it, but there is a free program you can add to your browers that will translate webpages to english ect.

Dude !! That was totally AWESOME !!

Going to Gugel translate page, you just paste in the web address and tell it to go from russian to english and it gets everything!!

Damn that is cool (before, I would copy and paste paragraphs then translate)

Point 4 U !!

M F

OxyRush Limbaugh
10-19-2010, 06:57 PM

download and install the google browser CHROME.

when you visit a foreign page it just says, "page is in trashakistaki, would you like to translate to english?"

hit yes, everything is now readable.

don't need anything else, ever.

Bugsy
10-20-2010, 02:30 PM
download and install the google browser CHROME.
when you visit a foreign page it just says, "page is in trashakistaki, would you like to translate to english?"
hit yes, everything is now readable.
don't need anything else, ever.

I got Chrome and it rules for translation!!! Never touch internet explorer ever agian! Chrome is the best! % times faster, never freezes and has tons of great features!

as for content about heroin's "irreversible damage" it is probably russian government propaganda stuff. Don't trust a lots of stuff about drugs and addiction on russian pages, they are hopelessly biased. Russia against methadone treatment, subutex and everything else civilized world does.

drug
11-09-2010, 04:53 AM
thanks for the great deal of research on all of yr posts, Bugsy.
greetings from Bulgaria.

J.Dot
11-09-2010, 07:03 AM
@Bugsy, I didn't even know people legitimately used Internet Explorer still. At least, not since browsers like Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome, etc coming out..

..IE is way too patchy, fuck that browser!

/off-topic.

phuq
11-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Excellent thread. I was curious about all this as I'm currently visiting Russia-in St. Petersburg.

Saint
11-14-2010, 08:04 AM
O
my

God...

That first (long) video was so disturbing I don't even want to watch the second. There is a point where you see a 'stitched-together' leg (or what's left of it) and I wondered whether the person attached to it was already death or still alive? This is truly horrible stuff. I felt so sorry for the girl with the cat on her lap.. only one leg left..
Something really has to change over there. It feels like something out of a really weird SF-comic, cruel and other-worldly but sadly it isn't..

farmpkm
11-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Excellent thread. I was curious about all this as I'm currently visiting Russia-in St. Petersburg.

I visited Санкт-Петербург very briefly a few months ago and had zero luck in the dope game. Granted, the couple I stayed with aren't drug users, but even sniffing around on my own I came up empty.

To be honest, I saw no signs of drug use at all, even in some very questionable areas. I finally inquired with a pair of kinda-classy prostitutes my friend had hired for me, and their only advise was to find a night club and I might be able to find some club-drugs. It wasn't in the cards though.

Drugstores there do sell relatively high-dose Acetaminophen w/ Codeine over the counter for dirt cheap... if you're lucky enough to not have a real habit.

Bugsy
11-21-2010, 12:53 AM
I visited Санкт-Петербург very briefly a few months ago and had zero luck in the dope game. Granted, the couple I stayed with aren't drug users, but even sniffing around on my own I came up empty.

To be honest, I saw no signs of drug use at all, even in some very questionable areas. I finally inquired with a pair of kinda-classy prostitutes my friend had hired for me, and their only advise was to find a night club and I might be able to find some club-drugs. It wasn't in the cards though.

Drugstores there do sell relatively high-dose Acetaminophen w/ Codeine over the counter for dirt cheap... if you're lucky enough to not have a real habit.

If you don't speak the language and don't know all the intricates of Russian life it could be very difficult to get dope in Russia. It is not however impossible. And in St.Petersburg is THE city where to find heroin/methadone is relatively easy...well at least for me but I was born and raised there.
High priced hookers usually don't mess with dope only coke/methamphetamine. Cheap railroad/highway hookers are 99% on heroin. But that is completely different world you'll be entering. It will be quite shocking for an Amercian or European. Street kids can be of help too but most important part is speak the language very well, otherwise it is really easy to get beat or robbed.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

Any luck with local opiates market??? :)

Billy the kid
11-21-2010, 05:07 AM
If you don't speak the language and don't know all the intricates of Russian life it could be very difficult to get dope in Russia. It is not however impossible. And in St.Petersburg is THE city where to find heroin/methadone is relatively easy...well at least for me but I was born and raised there.
High priced hookers usually don't mess with dope only coke/methamphetamine. Cheap railroad/highway hookers are 99% on heroin. But that is completely different world you'll be entering. It will be quite shocking for an Amercian or European. Street kids can be of help too but most important part is speak the language very well, otherwise it is really easy to get beat or robbed.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

I just had a quick question about black market methadone in Russia. I know that mmt is illegal in Russia and the only thing they use it for is pain control. With that being said, what form of the drug is on the streets? Are they tablets diverted from pain patients?

I have heard of methadone being produced illicitly and supplied to areas in Russia. I am just curious if the methadone you get out there comes in powder (illicit), tablet, etc.

phuq
11-26-2010, 06:48 AM

Nope. I don't really dabble with Heroin and I suppose pharmies are really non-exisitent here..

mainline
11-26-2010, 12:08 PM
I just had a quick question about black market methadone in Russia. I know that mmt is illegal in Russia and the only thing they use it for is pain control. With that being said, what form of the drug is on the streets? Are they tablets diverted from pain patients?

I have heard of methadone being produced illicitly and supplied to areas in Russia. I am just curious if the methadone you get out there comes in powder (illicit), tablet, etc.

I was under the impression that methadone is illegal 100% no matter what, nd that it comes in powder from the black market for way too much money.

Bartholomew
11-26-2010, 02:55 PM

i believe i remember seeing somewhere that the methadone they get over there is a 'yellow crystalline' substance. kinda like quality crystal if i'm imagining it correctly?

Bugsy
12-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Methadone is illegal in Russia period. Even for pain relief!!! It is class A, as well as Dilaudid,Oxymorphone and Oxycodone!!! There is NO 20th century NEW opiates in Russia!!! However Fentanyl patches are available...

Street methadone usually comes in yellowish to off-white crystals and cost 3 to five times more than heroin.
Usually $90 to $150 a gram. Purity varies. Russian addicts do use street methadone to get high as well as to detox.

odd
05-08-2011, 09:16 PM

He has a Wu-Tang tattoo on his ankle attached to his dead foot.

borohydride
05-09-2011, 06:21 AM
I have a chemist friend in Russia who makes (or rather made) his own methadone. He stated that under the laws of the Russian Federation, any analogue of any controlled drug is automatically illegal. The obvious solution to this was a)to find a drug totally unlike any controlled compound & more important b)pay a retainer to a specialist lawyer. He told me of friends spending 18 months in prison while their cases were investigated (they were caught will 2-3g of cannabis).

In most countries, the most euphoric opioid seems to be the most expensive on the black-market but in Russia a long duration is equally important. Methadone is cheap to make... very, very cheap indeed. I know quite a few fentanyl analogues (chicken powder) were being sold in bulk in/around Tashkent a few years ago. They turned up in Finland & Sweden, if I remember correctly (FYI β-OH thiofentanyl was considered the best of the bunch. Carfentanil was not).

I also heard of one guy making etonitazene in Moscow. They dubbed it 'The Chinese Dwarf' & it was often smoked. The one report I have said it's very euphoric but the duration of the high is 20-40 minutes. It did not command the high street-value the chemist had hoped for (what with the overdoses & crash). They got caught, needless to say.

Considering the Russian chemists have to keep it simple, a lot of really great basic chemistry techniques have come out of the country. I'm just amazed that nobody had thought of making desomorphine the proper (patent) route since it's not so complex. This route is simple but the side-products look nasty. I assume it would require an A/B if only to reduce the volume of stuff to be injected. That suggests that the damaging elements are mangled codeine molecules.

05-10-2011, 02:36 AM
Damn thats some horrible stuff, the stuff that kills you from the inside out...

Thanks a lot for the information about Russia. Puts things into perspective, as life could be ALOT worse.....

Bugsy
05-10-2011, 03:04 PM
I just read a chemistry report about Russian desomorphine production. It says that red Phosphorus/Iodine route (also used in methampetamine production) creates yield of about only 30% with 6 to 7 major impurities formed in the process with some of them highly toxic phosphorus by-products.
That's is why Russian clandestine is highly toxic, impure and poses great risk to people's health. Russian desomorpine addicts live about 2-3 years. First adverse symptoms show up as early as 2 weeks of regular use and serious health issues develop in 6 months time.
But people continue to kill themselves. Codeine is $2 for a pack of 8mg pills. You will need 3-4 of them plus matches for P and Iodine at $1 a bottle, sulfuric acid is really cheap as well as ammonia and other minor ingredients. Basically you can have two doses of desomorphine (2-3 ml, purity vary, but about 30%) at the price of $8-10. A gram of heroin which is usual russian buy will cost you $30-35.

There was a suggestion to Russian pharms control agency to start selling codeine containing pills Rx only. First it was proposed to start in May,2011 but now it is extended until November,2011. So Russian desomorphine junkies may have just another 6 months to cook that crap!

seven10kids
05-10-2011, 08:21 PM
I just read a chemistry report about Russian desomorphine production. It says that red Phosphorus/Iodine route (also used in methampetamine production) creates yield of about only 30% with 6 to 7 major impurities formed in the process with some of them highly toxic phosphorus by-products.
That's is why Russian clandestine is highly toxic, impure and poses great risk to people's health. Russian desomorpine addicts live about 2-3 years. First adverse symptoms show up as early as 2 weeks of regular use and serious health issues develop in 6 months time.
But people continue to kill themselves. Codeine is $2 for a pack of 8mg pills. You will need 3-4 of them plus matches for P and Iodine at $1 a bottle, sulfuric acid is really cheap as well as ammonia and other minor ingredients. Basically you can have two doses of desomorphine (2-3 ml, purity vary, but about 30%) at the price of $8-10. A gram of heroin which is usual russian buy will cost you $30-35.

There was a suggestion to Russian pharms control agency to start selling codeine containing pills Rx only. First it was proposed to start in May,2011 but now it is extended until November,2011. So Russian desomorphine junkies may have just another 6 months to cook that crap!

wtf! they only live for 2-3years after they are hooked! man, i feel bad, that is some crazy shit!!

hairandwine
05-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Ahh man, I've been doing a lope taper, down to a tenth of my starting dose today, and now the daily decreases are getting rough. I was jonesing till I saw this...