PDA

View Full Version : Rauvolfia serpentina contains thebaine and papaverine?

Paregoric Kid
05-09-2010, 10:08 PM
I've been reading about Rauvolfia serpentina (Indian Snakeroot) and its uses as a sedative and anxiolytic, among other uses. today I was reading about the alkaloids found in the roots of Rauvolfia serpentina and noticed that thebaine and papverine are found in the roots. yohimbine and similar compounds are also found in the root. sounds pretty interesting, has anyone used this herb?
this is the source cited for the alkaloids: Duke, James A. 1992. Handbook of phytochemical constituents of GRAS herbs and other economic plants. Boca Raton, FL. CRC Press.

Thanat0s
05-10-2010, 08:16 AM
funny,
quick googl srch brought up LIVESTRNG promoting its use...

im sick of digging rite now,
but looks 'semi' commonly available as 'chandrika' herbal suppliment?

:D

thx, PK,
yet again.

Indy
05-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Liber Herbarum Minor says the same thing (great site btw), but IIRC even in poppies the amount of thebaine isn't really enough to cause effects on its own...

jacky
05-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Wow that is real interesting, too bad this plants roots are so damn toxic.
I consumed about a gram of indian snakeroot and was devistated by the sedative effects.
Its still an important source for reserpine alkaloids.
I imagine this plant produces only traces of the opiate alkaloids but please correct me if I am wrong.
Isoquinoline morphine precursors occur in some other common and rare medicinal herbs like croton,sassafras,peumus boldus,corydalis possibly and others.
The possibility of catabolic/metabolic biosynthetic conversion of morphine precursors found naturally in plants and used as a type of "prodrug"as a plant feed or in humans and animals to create morphine, codeine, or thebaine stills drives my hopes and dreams.

Anyway, this is still great news.

I guess Ghandi drank tea of a small amount of these roots on a daily basis sometimes.
A dose is measured in tens of milligrams and not a thousand or hundreds as I found out the hard way

Paregoric Kid
05-17-2010, 06:28 PM
yeah I was thinking the same thing about herbs that could act like prodrugs. goldenseal is another plant with morphine precursors.