PDA

View Full Version : Methadone and Alcohol

Buriduh
04-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Well, I finally decided to try methadone maintenance. I've been going for a little over a week now, and it's been ok. Anyway.. i've restrained from all other drugs but i continue to drink. I've been a daily drinker for years now.. and I really have no intentions nor desire to stop. I know mixing alcohol and methadone makes you extremely tired.. but has anyone else had any bad side effects from mixing the two?
Also, does anyone know if the clinic test for alcohol use, and if so, how? Is there a urine dip stick for alcohol?And is it normal for them to test for it (or is there a standard panel of substances they test for) I haven't taken a drug test there yet (except for the initial) and would be pissed off if i fail for something like alcohol. Anyways, thanks for listening and your input.

909kick
04-14-2010, 11:13 AM
be very careful with alcohol and methadone i had a friend die well taking this combo. if you do choose to drink try to monitor how much you drink and have someone monitor you if you simply are having a few drinks over a day it prolly would't be too bad but binge drinking is very dangerous on methadone so please be careful

kolesmiv
04-14-2010, 11:17 AM
be very careful with alcohol and methadone i had a friend die well taking this combo. if you do choose to drink try to monitor how much you drink and have someone monitor you if you simply are having a few drinks over a day it prolly would't be too bad but binge drinking is very dangerous on methadone so please be careful

Listen to this man. I had an acquaintance (not close friend) die from this combo as well. Very sad.

chopstix
04-14-2010, 11:40 AM
I've had a few people tell me that drinking, for some reason, causes the body to metabolize the MD faster. I have no idea if it's true, but again I've heard it from several different sources, but then I've heard that it seeps into your bones too from different sources and that's bullshit.

There is a clinical test for alcohol. From what I've heard, most clinics don't use it on every patient, but it does exist and (again, don't quote me on this, just relaying what I've been told) apparently it can detect consumption a few days out - how, I have no idea, I thought it was completely out of your system in a few hours so I dunno, I do know for a fact that they have the ability to test for it though.

gameface
04-14-2010, 11:41 AM
I too drink daily and am on MMT, 115mgs. It does make you VERY VERY tired. Infact I spend a good portion of my days off napping. My clinic (largest one north of San Fran on the west coast) does not piss test of Alcohol, but does have Breathalyzers at random/ if you appear drunk at the dosing window. Anything at all registering on the Breathalyzer is grounds for a bunch of BS that aint fun. We jump through enough hoops as it is. Good luck and be careful bro-ham-ster

Fat Pie
04-14-2010, 12:44 PM
As with using any opiate (heroin, methadone, suboxone etc), drinking alcohol at the same time can be very dangerous, resulting in massive CNS (central nervous system) depression from the combined effects of the two substances; basically, your breathing slows down so much from the combination of depressants (an opiate and alcohol) that you stop breathing, lapse into unconsciousness and eventually die.

All I'm saying is be careful. Ideally you shouldn't drink any alcohol at all while taking opiates (methadone included).

Frank Moraes (from www.heroinhelper.com) covers this subject on his website, and the dangers associated with it. He even mentions an individual he knew about who died from smoking heroin while drunk.

gameface
04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
As with using any opiate (heroin, methadone, suboxone etc), drinking alcohol at the same time can be very dangerous, resulting in massive CNS (central nervous system) depression from the combined effects of the two substances; basically, your breathing slows down so much from the combination of depressants (an opiate and alcohol) that you stop breathing, lapse into unconsciousness and eventually die.

All I'm saying is be careful. Ideally you shouldn't drink any alcohol at all while taking opiates (methadone included).

Frank Moraes (from www.heroinhelper.com) covers this subject on his website, and the dangers associated with it. He even mentions an individual he knew about who died from smoking heroin while drunk.

Although it is 100% true that drinking on ANY OPIATE DOSE IS DANGEROUS, those who are on MMT (stabilized at a dose for some time) and are alcohol tolerant, can deff handle the combo. In the interest of harm reduction, I would strongly advise against it. It is not the death sentence some make it out to be however.

As far as Chops post above mine, I have also heard that alcohol increases the rate at which we metabolize 'done. I have also heard the methadone seeps into your bones and stays there, which is complete and utter BS. In my personal experiences any extra metabolizing that goes on in my body is greatly out-weighed by the feeling of alcohol intoxication. Hell on some days, I will have a beer before my dose. No huge difference in how things feel, just slightly more drowsiness, as should be expected. Although nothing some coffee won't handle.

port rhombus
04-14-2010, 02:17 PM
There is a clinical test for alcohol. From what I've heard, most clinics don't use it on every patient, but it does exist and (again, don't quote me on this, just relaying what I've been told) apparently it can detect consumption a few days out - how, I have no idea, I thought it was completely out of your system in a few hours so I dunno, I do know for a fact that they have the ability to test for it though.

The test looks for for ethyl glucuronide (ethanol metabolite) in urine. I doubt it would be included with the cheap immunoassay "panel" tests that most methadone clinics use, but it's standard protocol for at least some of these new lab outsourcing companies that pain clinics are using. Those places generally run an instant immunoassay followed by offsite GC/MS. It's done at the pain clinic I use.

I don't know how long EtG is detectable for in urine. It apparently has a half-life of 2 to 3 hours, so in theory you could pass an immunoassay in a few days. GC/MS would be another story.

Chemical_Boy
04-14-2010, 02:35 PM
I too drink daily and am on MMT, 115mgs. It does make you VERY VERY tired. Infact I spend a good portion of my days off napping. My clinic (largest one north of San Fran on the west coast) does not piss test of Alcohol, but does have Breathalyzers at random/ if you appear drunk at the dosing window. Anything at all registering on the Breathalyzer is grounds for a bunch of BS that aint fun. We jump through enough hoops as it is. Good luck and be careful bro-ham-ster

The test looks for for ethyl glucuronide (ethanol metabolite) in urine. I doubt it would be included with the cheap immunoassay "panel" tests that most methadone clinics use, but it's standard protocol for at least some of these new lab outsourcing companies that pain clinics are using. Those places generally run an instant immunoassay followed by offsite GC/MS. It's done at the pain clinic I use.

I don't know how long EtG is detectable for in urine. It apparently has a half-life of 2 to 3 hours, so in theory you could pass an immunoassay in a few days. GC/MS would be another story.

Yeah.... I think at most methadone clinics you are more likely to get a breath test done on the spot if they suspect drinking. But I am sure that there are exceptions.

From what I understand, the EtG is detectable for as long as 7 to 10 days. But I could be wrong about this. A relative of mine was in the legal system for a while and they tested for EtG. So this is second hand knowledge from that person so I would do a bit of research if you wan to confirm.

betmylife
04-14-2010, 03:22 PM
why should it matter as long as you don't appear to be drunk? are you telling me that if you are on MMT, or attend a pain clinic, you can't have a couple of beers or a glass of wine now and again?....alchohol is legal, seems silly to me.

bigNasty
04-14-2010, 03:43 PM
why should it matter as long as you don't appear to be drunk? are you telling me that if you are on MMT, or attend a pain clinic, you can't have a couple of beers or a glass of wine now and again?....alchohol is legal, seems silly to me.
that's what I was thinking too BUT benzo's are legal too(if you are rx'd them) and most 'done clinics don't allow you to take them while on 'done. I could understand a 'done clinic saying something about you testing positive for alcohol more than a PM dr

Thanat0s
04-14-2010, 04:13 PM
to the OP:

ive had many friends who drank and were in mdone maint...

the clinics will deny your dose if they wish, and smelling like a distillery or stumbings etc will get you denied.

alcohol is not part of any std UA...

my friends just got sent home w/o dosing for smelling or acting drunk...

and yes, it is dangerous, but mitigated a bit by habituation...
most dangerous if you dose yourself and have 'done on hand once drunk tho,

for a daily clinic doser yer prob 'ok' but be very cautious as to benzo and other opiate intake when yer all lit up,

easy to eat some pills that on second thought were a bad idea, and by then a second thought doesnt do much good...
re:clinic, just dont be a fool...

Vico-Dan
04-14-2010, 07:52 PM

When I was on MMT, they would randomly Breathalyze clients at the dosing window.

If you had a hint of alcohol on your breath, they would test you and not dose you if you registered anything on the Breathalyzer.

One day, I used an alcohol-based breath spray before I came in to dose and the dosing nurse smelled the breath spray on my breath and tested me and I registered some insanely high number due to the alcohol based breath spray that I just used.

I tried to explain and even showed them the breath spray, along with the list of ingredients, but they wouldn't dose me and it went on my record and I almost lost a take home over it.

If one decides to drink while on MMT, I would do so in moderation as the mixture could be fatal and at the very least, you could be refused your dose if you have alcohol on your breath, even if it's from the night before, or even from mouthwash or other products that contains alcohol.

Buriduh
04-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. To answer a few questions: I have been taking opiates and consuming alcohol for many years now. I do not binge drink, nor take a very large dose of methadone. I understand that the combination could be fatal, however, I have a pretty large tolerance to both, and I know my limits pretty well.

As for the questions regarding alcohol testing. They told me that the consumption of alcohol is prohibited while in the program. When I asked how they would know, the counselor told me they tested for it. I was just wondering how exactly the tested for it, but from the responses I've gotten, it seems like they will only be able to know if I use alcohol if I come in intoxicated and they breathalyze me. Thanks again to everyone for the information.

909kick
04-15-2010, 10:36 PM
know your limits and stay within it

Restharrow
04-16-2010, 11:53 AM

I am pretty sure the contract I signed at my pain doctor agrees NOT to drink any alcohol -- but I don't think the clinic enforces it.

Recently my pain doctor was going over the normal stuff in the computer and she asked, "how much do you drink per night?" I told her (honestly) not much. sometimes 1 or 2 beers. She cautioned me that alcohol can cause an "unintended release" of too much oxymorphone from the time release tablets and said it is better to not drink at all.

So that conversation left me unsure if I could drink a little, or NONE at all.

When I took Methadone for pain, they cautioned me at each visit to NOT drink any alcohol due to the risk of CNS depression.

Will

poppy
04-16-2010, 02:32 PM
I've been on mmt for about 10 years and (unfortunately) have a drink problem as well. I say unfortunately over the drink cos i have hep c and i need to be alcohol free for at least 6 mths before i can start treatment not cos i'm down on people drinking alcohol.Anyway my m'done clinic don't test for alcohol unless u turn up for an appt. showing signs of being drunk, in which case they breathalize u and if ure due to collect your script that day they suspend it until the next day when u must supply a negative breath test.
In terms of mixing m'done and alcohol, in my experience as long as u have a tolerence for both then there shouldn't be a problem. But the wisest choice, as others have already said, is not to mix alcohol with any opiate.
I'm interested in what others have said about mixing alcohol with 'done making u tired cos i've never linked the two, just assumed it was a combination of depression, general apathy, and a symptom of hep c.
When people have said about being tired do they mean before or after they've had a drink?
I take my m'done at about 7am then read till i go back to sleep. I don't drink until late afternoon/early evening (on week days) when I drink between 4 and 8 cans of 5% lager (more at weekends) which actually seems to pep me up and give me more energy than if I didn't drink. I assume this is a sort of false energy?????????s

shaolin730
04-18-2010, 08:52 AM
yeah be careful, both are pretty big respiratory depressants. I'm on 80mg & I've found that I black out much, much easier on Methadone. for that reason alone I try to be careful..and some say I'm fairly careless when it comes to drugs. the last time my pain doc drug tested me I came up dirty for alcohol. they said if it happens again that I'll have to come in for random tests. because opiates make ya constipated I had not pissed out the alcohol yet even though it had been quite a while since I drank & even when I did I didn't have that much. they say 24 hours for alcohol well I'd double that to be safe..

brine
05-02-2010, 07:06 PM
hey, buriduh, ive been on mmt for a year now my doc is worried about my drinking because of hep c he gives me shit every time i see him because of my liver . my girlfriend has noticed a change in me since i been on meth i get screwed up on just 8 tallboys of beer before it was just a warmup. i have memory loss pretty well every night after work and about 6 to 10 beer later im a lost cause ,in this state i can still buy groceries ,go on the net ,you got to see some of the stupid crap i ordered with credit cards .im trying to cut back but there is always a lame excuse to keep drinking.some nights chris holds a mirror in front of me to see if im still alive .well enough about my life you just have to be careful when combining the two cause they intensify each other. good luck in your recovery brine.